Flight Sim Recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight Sim Recommendations

So I decided to try and get into flight sims and picked up a Logitech G940 flight system (stick, throttle, and rudder). I picked up DCS Blackshark as that seems to be one of the "de facto" flight sims people keep recommending, but so far I don't like the way it teaches new players. You basically watch a 20 minute tutorial video that isn't interactive and it doesn't seem to be very good at easing people new to flight sims into it.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for something that is realistic, but has really good tutorials? I'd prefer something that supports force feedback, TrackIR, and three screens if possible, but mostly I'm looking for something that does a good job of easing new payers into things.

Thanks.

Re: Flight Sim Recommendations

Everything I have is for falcon, but the best way to learn is to memorize sequences. DCS should come with a PDF of how to use the basics, memorize memorize memorize.
    |TG|Ghost02
    TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Miles, DCS is complicated, but it has what you're looking for in that it supports all that stuff. If you find the tutorials too in depth you can play the instant action mission, which is in itself a small tutorial that shows you the basics through pop up messages while you fly around. Bottom line, DCS is good, and will be awesome when they release more aircraft, but you're going to find that the good flight sims like DCS and Falcon take a long time to learn and none of them ease the player in very well like you want.

However, I think you would enjoy DCS's predecessor Lock On Modern Air Combat (LOMAC), it has some easy tutorials about 8 flyable aircraft and is fun for a rainy day. Also IL-2 1946 for WWII flight sims has lots of fun aircraft and is really easy to get a handle on. All of these support Trackir, rudder, throttle. Don't know about three screens but I'm sure it's possible. Send me a pm if you want to fly sometime. I play LOMAC and IL2 mostly.

Comment

I recommend X plane, it does not have a gentle learning curve but it will provide the closest experience to real flight without spending tens of thousands.

http://www.x-plane.com/

Has a decent demo with no strings attached, why not give it a try?

Comment

If you want a modern military Jet Sim nothing can beat Falcon 4, comes in several flavors, if you want to play online go for F4:Allied Force, for single player go F4 original with the open falcon mod. For help getting started I suggest searching around, I am the flight operations officer for the 72nd virtual fighter wing and we offer loads of reference material that is available to download. Also feel free to post on the forums and I'm sure you will find someone to answer your questions what ever they may be.

Comment

Lock on, IL-2 1946, X-plane, Orbitor (free game, but it is the hardest game i ever played), and barbie flys to cancun 2

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone, I have a lot of stuff to try. Wow, this DCS Blackshark manual is intimidating.

Comment

I like WWII flight sims, myself, so that kind of taints the list.
                WWII: Online has the best WWII flight sim out there, with the added bonus that everything in the game is played by a person.

IL:2, any of the series is pretty awesome, but it's still got that old fashioned style MP where you spawn in and just kill kill kill.

As far as best combat flight sim, in looks, play, and realism?

Rise of Flight. It's a brand spanking new WWI flight sim, and I can't even figure out how to set my mixture right yet, despite having worked on aircraft for a living. I'm so ashamed!!! Your guns can jam, your plane can screw up, and it looks absolutely, hands down amazing.

Downside? Need a beast of a computer.
                Upside(s)? It looks real. Like R-E-A-L real. It flys REAL. You can adjust your settings and make it easy, but why do that? Hell, those old War I pilots didn't know what they were doing when they got their planes either! And when else have you played a badass WWI flight sim?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." - R. E. Lee

Comment

Hey Barnes, by WWII: Online u mean Battleground Europe right?

Well, not the most realistic simulator out there, but combined with the rest of the game, is awesome...

For those who dont know, this game is a massive multiplayer. It take place between 39-41 (not sure about the date, correct me if im wrong). The map is 1/4 of real Europe. And yes, if it moves, theres a human behind it. You can play in Army (many infs types, tanks, trucks, anti-tank guns, AA, etc...), Air (fighters, tactical and strategic bombers, transpost planes, etc...) and in the Navy.

The flight simulation is great, but not perfect. Especially the damage model. Its kinda frustrating when u find out that the guy just killed you was the same u put 500 rounds on his tail mins ago, without damaging nothing... But i understand that would be impossible to simulate an accurate damage system with 3000 players online at the same time.

All in all, a very fun and addictive game... i play it since 2003.

Comment

Sorvette, you play? What's your game name, and are you Axis or Allied?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." - R. E. Lee

Comment

To be honest, i havent logged in for about 6-7 months, my account expired and didnt had the time/patience/money to reactivate it again... and A2 has been so great lately lol

I play mostly on axis side because of my ex-squad here in Brazil... then the squad dimsantled and now im homeless, wandering between both sides.

My ingame name is Sorvete3. Whats yours?

Comment

barnesusmc, I'm AHC, though. So if you wander over to Allied, let me know. We'll put you in the Anzacs.

Comment

I would suggest picking up Flight Simulator X. Really good tutorials and just an all around blast to play

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocksaint View Post
                            barbie flys to cancun 2
                            link please..... :icon_wink
                            [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

If you really wanna have a good sim take Falcon 4.0 .
                              After the learnig curve its fun .

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X