Thoughts from a SL.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts from a SL.

I want to write this whilst its fresh in my mind post Sunday event in no particular order. /rant on.

1: Cease Fire means CEASE FIRE, not cease fire when you decide the enemy are not a threat, I mean cease fire RIGHT NOW.

2: If you are not in the upper command structure please have some empathy for the FTL > SL > Command as they are hearing possibly hearing 4 voices at once.

3: YOU are not the centre of the universe, we only need feedback for critical events, I dont need to know you stubbed your toe or how you are feeling, I just need to know if you are killing or being killed in most circumstances. Comms are for critical communication.

4: NEVER EVER EVER fire back at a TKer as this will just cause a spiral of violence, speak to the admin and WE WILL BAN THEM.

5: I understand you may be bored, please understand on big events command may be moving 60+ people, this may mean you have to wait for five minutes, thats the name of the game, suck it up.

6: British weapons in new modpack needs volume normalization.

7: You are not privy to the masterplan from command, I have completed what appears to be insane orders from on high, unless it will lead to your immediate death respect your orders as they see a bigger picture than you.

8: I am tired of asking for comm silence when the admin speaks, Browna was trying to get people together at the start of game and also during the event and people just drowned him out with crap basically. Respect the admins or get the hell of comms.

9: Triple check enemy / friendly ID to ensure blue on blue is kept to a minimum.

10: Please ensure if you take a pilot slot you are fully able to fly at a high level, "good enough" is not good enough, if you screw up you will take multiple players down with you.

11: Before any other consideration we are all gamers and we should respect each other for that reason alone, being at the top or the botton of the command chain does not allow you to be abusive, basic respect for your fella gamer must be in place at all time.

12: Dont turn up 5 minutes before the game with technical / time / real life issues and expect the rest of the server to bend over for you. If you cannot book in, download addons and make your computer ready for the event we cant stop the train for you.

13: Bloody snipers!

/rant off.
    Last edited by HOTMACHINA; 11-08-2009, 07:07 PM.

Re: Thoughts from a SL.

I agree with all those things.

Also distinguishing British uniforms from Russian ones would be most helpful :P

And before I forget, the sights on the British land Rovers were horrendous. The .50cal's ACOG was fine, but the sights on the GPMGs in particular were way, way off. I had to aim really low to hit a guy at only 300m.

Comment

Agreed on all except that I have a little comment on No3: Do you mean the VOIP or text chat? I agree voip should be kept clean for contact reports, but it sometime gets boring on long waits. Why shouldnt we use text chat to pass the time? I mean when its not in action of course.

And I have one thing to add:
      Only rifle I used, the L85, is completely messed. It looks ok but its sound is totally head-hurting, its optics are useless (when you are trying to compensate for the bullet drop you have to cover the target with red triangle which makes you not see it), and its recoil feels way off when compared to other ARMA 2 weapons. I felt the need to dump this gun for something russian but I am all for keeping the startup weapons, unless very low on ammo.

Overall it was good IMO, especially when Browna led us squad alpha to charge over the open field and take out some enemies below us. Hell if we had bayonets we would have used em!

Comment

You tell them Machina. Keeping a server organized and as the population goes up is a hard task. Under the limitations of the game one man on mic telling everybody what to do is the best way. I have seen what happened today many times during public play. Everybody want to talk and say their mind and complain.

Respect is a huge principle here at TG. Just because you are so and so in real life does not mean you can boss around, bully, and curse at somebody else assuming they are less than you. Without respect towards one another it will quickly become chaos, attract the wrong kind and mess with what everybody loves which is organization.

I felt Browna's frustration at one point. He was so stressed out trying to herd that crowd. Organization and teamwork is a two way street, requires coordination and cooperation. So be thoughtful about others, and avoid being selfish, or you will find yourself not belonging here.

Comment

i agree on all the points listed above.

just wondering about the selected gun mod.... i feel that since it is such a hindrance to game play, can we not use it or select another mod. im all for change and new things but if it hasnt been tested first, why try and test it on an event??

i would like to say as a new IHS to arma2 and this being my first event i am very diapointed in our community as a whole. you have to sign up to play here and be on TS. that means you have read the SOP's and understand them, if you do not you have NO BUSINESS playing in the server let alone an event!!!

im going to go out on a limb and guess the admins are now on a hair trigger, if i were the "new" people id get my **** together or youll be shipping out, i know if i had some ability to remove the suspected people, they would not be playing here for a week...... MINIMUM!!!!

I love all the new faces i see including myself, but that does not give me the right to act like an ass hat and ruin it for the 55 others that WANT to play like this. please check yourself next time you log on and try and act like you belong here.

thanks admins and event staff for trying put on this event, maybe next time well have some people who show respect. i liked the island a little... it seemed to take a heavy hit to my rig unlike anything else before, and not a fan of the UK mod... loved the vehicular and uni's but some stuff has got to get fixed.

just my opinion. :)

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

i'm with you on this, give warnings and name individuals this is the only way i see it working in big operation. Please test the brit weapons again, one weapon i was using the recoil was horrendous and it sounded like i was shooting a bb gun.

Thanks.
            sigpic

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 9.11 | Windows 7 7100 64 | RAID 0 640GB | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Cyborg Evo Wireless | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse
            let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

Comment

Originally posted by HOTMACHINA View Post

1: Cease Fire means CEASE FIRE, not cease fire when you decide the enemy are not a threat, I mean cease fire RIGHT NOW.

This can be a source of confusion ...

Depending on where you learned it from, Cease Fire can mean different things. For me at least, Cease Fire means stop shooting because all the enemy is SEEMINGLY dead, so, if you see a live enemy still, you do not stop firing, you assume the one that called the CEASE fire doesn't see the live enemy.

CHECK fire means stop shooting right now. Check Fire is usually called when it is suspected you are shooting at friendlies/non-combatants.

On a more general note, sounds like there was some issues. I find a good way of dealing with players who aren't listening is to ask them 3 times on VON to do whatever, then 3 times on text. After that, ask for a kick from the admin. Even if they pipe up and say "Oh, I will listen now", don't cave in to that, they weren't listening until threatened with a kick, this is not a reliable player. May seem harsh, but, most people who come to TG are looking for a teamwork oriented experience. Not everyone though, no sense frustrating yourself with it.

Comment

It would be nice if there were a way to lock out people from different channels according to rank or something. It would be helpful if the server could enforce the rule that non-leadership roles can only use direct, only FTL's on group, only SL and PltCo on Command. I don't know enough about ArmA editing or the engine to know if there would be a way to mod something like that.

Also, a note on being "bored" at times during the mission:
                Even if you aren't on the move or engaged in a firefight, you should still be scanning for contacts. If everyone is doing what they are supposed to be doing, there should be no point during the mission at which you have the ability to even type jokes over text, because you should be scanning your sectors for contacts at the very least. The only possible exception to this is at base while waiting for transport to the front lines; but even then, people shouldn't be lingering around the base for very long if the leaders are properly getting people to where they are supposed to be in an orderly fashion.

There are many "slow" points to every mission. That's just the nature of the game. When you go for realism, there are trade-offs, and that is one of them. When you take all those "slow" moments out and have nothing but constant action, you have Call of Duty.

I recommend that if you do happen to find yourself in a situation where you are waiting during the mission and have no reason to be scanning for contacts, make yourself useful. Pull up the map and try to get a good understanding of the terrain. Look for likely flanking positions, fallback positions, landmarks to help keep yourself oriented, etc. This will be a much more productive use of time than spamming garbage over voice OR text, and will likely make you a better player.

Comment

Ceasefire is the most hard one of them all. Once it is said people waste another mag before they stop just to *make sure* they are dead, maybe it is just human nature.

As long as there is man there will be wars-Albert Einstein

No man,No problem-Josef Stalin

Comment

there were 64 of us last night, and for that number of players you would think that we would be engaging enemies from the get go but that wasn't the case! people got bored because there weren't many enemies to engage! especially the squads at the rear that have seen minimum to no resistance. I have seen less number of players on TG with major enemy presence i.e tanks. I suggest in future events to chose a mission where players wouldn't have time to get bored and watch for their lives due to heavy enemy presence.

Thanks.
                    sigpic

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 9.11 | Windows 7 7100 64 | RAID 0 640GB | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Cyborg Evo Wireless | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse

Comment

not all missions need to have lots of enemy presence. And if you find yourself getting a need to go on a mindless killing spree may i suggest a different game.

there are also a number of reasons why a smaller AI count is need on a large scale mission.
                      one of those reasons is that a large number of AI with a large number of human players = one very laggy server. What would you rather have? a laggy server or more AI so you can have your kill fix?

Comment

Originally posted by InFireBaptize View Post
                        there were 64 of us last night, and for that number of players you would think that we would be engaging enemies from the get go but that wasn't the case! people got bored because there weren't many enemies to engage! especially the squads at the rear that have seen minimum to no resistance. I have seen less number of players on TG with major enemy presence i.e tanks. I suggest in future events to chose a mission where players wouldn't have time to get bored and watch for their lives due to heavy enemy presence.

Thanks.
                        Therein lies the problem.

Do that and you get a fantastic mission that desyncs/crashes 10 minutes in. The server simply cannot support 60+ players and a large-scale AI mission without some very well made missions (lots of use of scripts to control AI behaviour and amounts). Though adding higher "quality" units, such as tanks and other assets, is a way around this, it has it's own set of problems.

Comment

Originally posted by browna3 View Post
                          not all missions need to have lots of enemy presence. And if you find yourself getting a need to go on a mindless killing spree may i suggest a different game.

there are also a number of reasons why a smaller AI count is need on a large scale mission.
                          one of those reasons is that a large number of AI with a large number of human players = one very laggy server. What would you rather have? a laggy server or more AI so you can have your kill fix?
                          I think that the mission was very well made. There where plenty of enemies at the air strip everyone basically had a turkey shoot. I know the sniper team itself had 60+ kills. InFireBaptize if you think you are getting bored as a grunt try being the CO. I fired all of three rounds that game. When you command you get NO kills. Its all about the experience not the kill count. If all you want is a kill count may i suggest CoD:4, not ArmA 2.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by HOTMACHINA View Post
                            10: Please ensure if you take a pilot slot you are fully able to fly at a high level, "good enough" is not good enough, if you screw up you will take multiple players down with you.
                            Watch out with this one though. It smells of the elitism that turns into the same players always getting flying roles.

While I understand that you don't want a person to crash a C130 full of people, any person should be allowed to have a go at flying if he thinks he's practiced enough. I play at TG because anyone is allowed to the party based on maturity and teamwork, NOT -not in any way- based on skill.

I keep hearing this argument that you have to be 'good' to fly across all multiplayer games I play on TG. In the end I totally disagree with it on a fundamental level. And so does TG if I read the mission statement correctly.

The rest, good reminders ty.

Comment

Originally posted by browna3 View Post

read my post carefully. I wasn't suggesting any mindless killings and no thanks i don't need you to suggest me another game, i can make my own decision.

I have played missions on TG server which had more enemies. If the issue here is the server limitation then i understand.

Originally posted by beita View Post
                              Therein lies the problem.

Do that and you get a fantastic mission that desyncs/crashes 10 minutes in. The server simply cannot support 60+ players and a large-scale AI mission without some very well made missions (lots of use of scripts to control AI behaviour and amounts). Though adding higher "quality" units, such as tanks and other assets, is a way around this, it has it's own set of problems.
                              i wish i can remember the name of that mission i played with more than 8 tanks, lots of infantry and choppers re-spawn + humans.

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                              I think that the mission was very well made. There where plenty of enemies at the air strip everyone basically had a turkey shoot. I know the sniper team itself had 60+ kills. InFireBaptize if you think you are getting bored as a grunt try being the CO. I fired all of three rounds that game. When you command you get NO kills. Its all about the experience not the kill count. If all you want is a kill count may i suggest CoD:4, not ArmA 2.
                              I disagree on the mission, i have played more engaging missions on the TG server. Please read my post again. nah COD4 is for children, and i have never cared about kill count, never will.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X