Today, gentlemen, is my birthday.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today, gentlemen, is my birthday.

I want everyone to face towards Tun Tavern Philladelphia, PA, and sing Happy Birthday to General's Lejeune and Puller.

On November 10, 1775, the Continental Congress authorized the formation of the United States Marine Corps. In those 234 years since, the USMC has become the 911 force of this country, and the changes in her policy have been enormous. One thing, however, has never changed. The Marine Corps has always been very big on tradition, esprit de corps, and three common virtues: Honor, Courage, and Committment. Today, we celebrate that tradition, and we express that esprit de corps.

Semper Fidelis.

Now, in true Marine Corps tradition, I present to you the Commandant's Birthday Message, and General John F. Lejeune's Birthday Message.

United States Marines represent the best young men and women our Nation has to offer. To be a Marine is to be a member of America’s warrior class — to be one of the few who steps forward with the courage and conviction to face whatever dangers await. Our Nation expects her Marines to be ready when the Nation calls; to leave family and the comforts of home behind; to march into battle and thrive under austerity; and to come home under a victory pennant.

From Al Anbar in the west of Iraq, to Helmand Province in the south of Afghanistan, our Corps of Marines can always expect to be found where the fight is toughest. Such is our history. Today, as we write the final chapter on our victory in Iraq, we will increasingly take the fight to the enemy in Afghanistan and add new pages to our legacy in places called Delaram, Now Zad, and Garmsir. One day, we will return to our naval heritage and patrol the high seas with our Navy brothers. Such is our future.

As we celebrate our Corps’ 234th Birthday, we first pause to reflect and pay tribute to those Marines who have given the last full measure in defense of freedom. We extend our deepest gratitude to our Marine Corps families — the unsung heroes who endure hardship and sacrifice so that we are able to go forward and accomplish any mission. We extend our appreciation to our countrymen who have answered our every need. And we celebrate the magnificent men and women who willingly and selflessly continue to go into harm’s way to protect this great Nation.

To all who have gone before, to those who wear the uniform today, and to the families that give us the strength to forge ahead — I wish you all a heartfelt Happy 234th Birthday!

Semper Fidelis,

James T. Conway
    General, U.S. Marine Corps

Accompanying video attached.

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V7Bicfc9dp0"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V7Bicfc9dp0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

In case that doesn't work, here's the link:

http://www.mca-marines.org/leatherne...09-message.asp

A Birthday Message From The Commandant Of The Marine Corps

United States Marines represent the best young men and women our Nation has to offer. To be a Marine is to be a member of America’s warrior class — to be one of the few who steps forward with the courage and conviction to face whatever dangers await. Our Nation expects her Marines to be ready when the Nation calls; to leave family and the comforts of home behind; to march into battle and thrive under austerity; and to come home under a victory pennant.

From Al Anbar in the west of Iraq, to Helmand Province in the south of Afghanistan, our Corps of Marines can always expect to be found where the fight is toughest. Such is our history. Today, as we write the final chapter on our victory in Iraq, we will increasingly take the fight to the enemy in Afghanistan and add new pages to our legacy in places called Delaram, Now Zad, and Garmsir. One day, we will return to our naval heritage and patrol the high seas with our Navy brothers. Such is our future.

As we celebrate our Corps’ 234th Birthday, we first pause to reflect and pay tribute to those Marines who have given the last full measure in defense of freedom. We extend our deepest gratitude to our Marine Corps families — the unsung heroes who endure hardship and sacrifice so that we are able to go forward and accomplish any mission. We extend our appreciation to our countrymen who have answered our every need. And we celebrate the magnificent men and women who willingly and selflessly continue to go into harm’s way to protect this great Nation.

To all who have gone before, to those who wear the uniform today, and to the families that give us the strength to forge ahead — I wish you all a heartfelt Happy 234th Birthday!

Semper Fidelis,

James T. Conway
    General, U.S. Marine Corps

Birthday Message by General John A. Lejeune, 13th Commandant of the Marine Corps

On November 1st, 1921, John A. Lejeune, 13th Commandant of the Marine Corps, directed that a reminder of the honorable service of the Corps be published by every command, to all Marines throughout the globe, on the birthday of the Corps. Since that day, Marines have continued to distinguish themselves on many battlefields and foreign shores, in war and peace. On this birthday of the Corps, therefore, in compliance with the will of the 13th Commandant, Article 38, United States Marine Corps Manual, Edition of 1921, is republished as follows:

"(1) On November 10, 1775, a Corps of Marines was created by a resolution of the Continental Congress. Since that date many thousand men have borne the name Marine. In memory of them it is fitting that we who are Marines should commemorate the birthday of our Corps by calling to mind the glories of its long and illustrious history.

"(2) The record of our Corps is one which will bear comparison with that of the most famous military organizations in the world's history. During 90 of the 146 years of its existence the Marine Corps has been in action against the Nation's foes. From the Battle of Trenton to the Argonne, Marines have won foremost honors in war, and in the long era of tranquility at home, generation after generation of Marines have grown gray in war in both hemispheres, and in every corner of the seven seas that our country and its citizens might enjoy peace and security.

"(3) In every battle and skirmish since the birth of our Corps, Marines have acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction, winning new honors on each occasion until the term "Marine" has come to signify all that is highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue.

"(4) This high name of distinction and soldierly repute we who are Marines today have received from those who preceded us in the Corps. With it we also received from them the eternal spirit which has animated our Corps from generation to generation and has been the distinguishing mark of the Marines in every age. So long as that spirit continues to flourish, Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future as they have been in the past, and the men of our Nation will regard us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have served as 'Soldiers of the Sea' since the founding of the Corps."

—Extracted from "The Marine Officer's Guide"

I ask of you gentlemen, in celebration of my birthday and that of my fellow Marines, to include a kind word about the Corps in this thread, and to post a quote regarding her.

Myself included in this, I shall tell a story of Dan Daly, the baddest SOB to ever walk this land.

In 1900, Private Dan Daly's squad was sent to relieve the garrison at the US Embassy in Peking China. Upon arriving, they encountered resistance from some German rabble-rousers inciting riots, whom they immediately dispatched. Unfortunately, this left them rather short of ammunition. Dan Daly was left to watch the embassy while the rest of the squad went to rearm and get reinforcements.

That night, the embassy was assaulted by an unknown number of Chinese, though estimates run as low as 200 and as high as 1000. Dan Daly, being the only armed combatant on the premises, decided it was time to man up and take charge. He fed his only belt of ammunition into the potato digger machine gun and let rip.

The squad arrived the next day to relieve Private Daly at the embassy. Upon arrival, they found Dan smoking a cigarrette atop a pile of bodies. Around him, there lay over 200 dead Chinese. Those nearest him (estimates run as high as 90) were killed with his E-tool. It's not known how many he dispatched in hand to hand, or how many he even killed, as the rebels reportedly drug off some of their dead. What is known, however, is he killed a lot of Chinamen that day, and at least 200 of them met their fate fighting against a single Marine.

Dan Daly is one of only two United States Marines to win not one but two Medals of Honor. That was his first. He is regarded by all Marines to hold a position only a few steps down from God, and his actions upheld the traditions and values of our Beloved Corps.

To him, and indeed to all my brothers, past and present, I say "Happy Birthday, Marine."
    Last edited by BarnesBL0278; 11-10-2009, 08:05 AM. Reason: Title change, grammar, video problems

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." - R. E. Lee

Re: Today, gentlemen, is my birthday.

Happy Birthday Marines!

So how to celebrate?
    |TG|Ghost02
    TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Happy birthday marines I think it's funny I am born and raised in Philly and never seen this tavern I really should fix that because I am doing school for history lol would u happen to know what street barnes

Comment

They moved it to the USMC museum in Quantico.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." - R. E. Lee

Comment

Cool to va then lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost02 View Post
            Happy Birthday Marines!

So how to celebrate?
            1. Head to the bar
            2. Drink till you cant see straight
            3. Make fun of the Air Force guys and the Coast Guard
            4. Quote Full Metal Jacket
            5. Puke, blame the Air Force
            6. Pass out somewhere
            7. Go to PT the next morning cussing the Air Force because they can't hold their liqour.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

lol watch it dredge I may have some pilot buddys misplace a JDAM lol were you at bethesda lol Its ok we will find you.

Comment

i know that wont happen cause there aren't any 5 star hotels here so the air force stays far away......can't get too close to the common folk might catch something.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

but you forget my friend we dont need to leave our hotel Predator anyone?

Comment

Stinger. That's my answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocksaint View Post
                      but you forget my friend we dont need to leave our hotel Predator anyone?
                      The Predator: For when you need to get a job done but dont want to leave your Air Conditioned office, accept no substitute.

Typical Chair Force

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Originally posted by dredge View Post
                        chair force
                        lol

TGU Instructor · TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean · Former ARMA Admin · Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Enough about those lazy Chair Force ArRangers, let's get back to the problem at hand. Loving my Corps! Where's them quotes and kind words?!
                          =D

Comment

here dredge http://www.chairforce.com/, you guys are just mad cause we win the wars before you guys ever get there lol

Comment

WE LIVE LIKE SOLDIERS, TALK LIKE SAILORS, AND SLAP THE HELL OUT OF BOTH OF THEM.
                              hehehe.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X