An SSD Peculularity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An SSD Peculularity

Today I setup my two Patriot Torqx solid state drives in raid 0 and when I went to shut down my computer ... drag chutes deployed!!

Re: An SSD Peculularity

My head just exploded thinking about it.

RAID 0 with SSDs. That's just sick.

Comment

WHAT!? You got creepy crawlers in your PC you had to "RAID" them?...omg omg

But in all seriousness...Chief, what ever set up you got there. I'm jealous as a mofoka.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Ah, but can you beat gravity in transferring a full length movie? No? Get more SSDs in Raid 0.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs&fmt=22[/media]

Comment

A computer like that just seems a bit over kill...
          FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

What? Overkill? What are you on about, those SSDs are only $400 each... the entire build can't be more than $12,000 USD...

Comment

Well I didnt do quite that much to my rig.

Comment

Originally posted by viper1986 View Post
                A computer like that just seems a bit over kill...
                You wouldn't say no though, would you?

POE2 Developer

Comment

Nothing is overkill when dealing with computers and computer games

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I was in the BI forums looking for the ACE thread, when I found this: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=88388

It seems that you get a huge performance boost using a ramdisk, as anyone tried this yet?
                    sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge.PT View Post
                      I was in the BI forums looking for the ACE thread, when I found this: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=88388

It seems that you get a huge performance boost using a ramdisk, as anyone tried this yet?
                      Haven't tried it personally but I've heard that yes, it does give great performance. However, as an SSD owner it really isn't needed for me.

Also, I "only" have 4GB of memory, so I can't put all of Arma2 into a RAM drive and I don't want to mess with putting some files in RAM and leaving others on a standard drive (although there is a how-to for doing exactly that).

Comment

i am looking into it. going to try it out tonight and will post my findings for you guys.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                          i am looking into it. going to try it out tonight and will post my findings for you guys.
                          Please do Dredge. It would be great if you create a thread with a tutorial about it also.

Originally posted by 1longtime
                          Haven't tried it personally but I've heard that yes, it does give great performance. However, as an SSD owner it really isn't needed for me.
                          Have you had any problems with small files data loss with the sdd's, I remember reading about it when they started to be commercially available, and that plus their prices really took them of my wish list.
                          sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Please do Dredge. It would be great if you create a thread with a tutorial about it also.
                            There's already a tutorial in the BIS forums somewhere, just do a search. You can move the most common PBO texture files onto the RAM drive and use symlinks to point to their new location (I believe that's the concept anyway) so you can use as much available memory for superfast PBO reading. Ideally you would have an extra 9 or 10 GB of RAM and could move the entire game onto a RAM drive though.

Have you had any problems with small files data loss with the sdd's, I remember reading about it when they started to be commercially available, and that plus their prices really took them of my wish list.
                            Data loss? Never heard about that. I've heard about slow data writes, but the newer controllers take care of that with the smarter caching. Also heard about how SSDs wear out "quickly" but the new controllers take care of that as well by distributing the wear across the entire unit (it's actually thought an SSD will now last longer than a traditional disk, I forgot how many hundreds of thousands of hours of use but quite a long time, around 5 - 7 years).

And if you can catch them on sale, you can grab one for around $300 for 120GB. But make sure you get one with a cache. They're not cheap, but not too crazy expensive.

Comment

Don't forget about Trim, which is supported fully by windows 7 and by the new firmware of the better ssd's.Trim is software that basically keeps the ssd running cleanly somewhat like defrag but not the same. You never defrag a ssd, its not good for them. I have heard the stories of people spending hundreds of dollars on the best cpus and graphic cards only to be disappointed by the way this game ran on their computer. It took me one 64 gb ssd (around $200) to get it to run smooth as silk with everything on high. Frame rates do not improve that much, those who judge the game on that will never love this game. It is how the game looks and feels when you play it that counts, this game and Windows 7 love the solid state drives.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X