Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some comments from a Newbie

Guys:
    I've agonized a bit over whether I should post this, but I think it's best to do so.

I bailed out of yesterday evening's Alpha server mission before it even started, and just wanted to explain why. As a newbie, I felt like I was a potential burden on the veterans. I don't know all the procedures yet, and yesterday's mission had the air of "if you don't know what you're doing, get lost." I've being doing my best to make a good impression, not screw up royally, and primarily have a fun time with a realistic battlefield sim. I didn't think that was going to happen last night based on what I was hearing in the pre-mission setup.

Maybe I was the only one that felt this way, but then again maybe I wasn't. I feel it may be beneficial to share this in case some the veterans maybe didn't realize how they can be perceived from someone who's new to TG.

Just trying to provide some honest feedback that hopefully can be considered and discussed.

James
    GunnySargeCorn
    Aka: James
    Aka: szln6z

Re: Some comments from a Newbie

I really hope that is just the way you percieved it and not due to what people said or did. No is a burden to any missions we run here unless you are blatantly TK'ing or stealing vehicles. Whether you have no experience or have played for 10 years you are still a part of this community and you have every right to play as the next person. Can you please tell me what happend to make you think that? What was said, done, etc. It may just be a misunderstanding of what was going on. It may have been as simple as "Lets get some vets as SL's". And if anyone tells you that if you dont know what you are doing you need to leave TELL ME! I will make sure it gets taken care of because thats not how we do things here at TG. Either tell me or an Admin. I am here to help you in anyway I can. So please get back with me ASAP. If you need to you can PM me the info if you dont want to post it in the Forums.

~Dredge

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Ok, this is my honest to goodness best advice I can offer to totally new players. 1 simple rule.

Keep pressing esc twice and staying near the guy with two stripes as his symbol, all the rest you will pick up as you go along. Ignore radio chatter and just listen to the stuff in green or in an emergency blue text / voice.

Comment

nah man thats not our way if you feel someone is putting up the front that if your new get lost then I will crack thier heads, I am talking straight MMA broseph lol nah your always welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocksaint View Post
          nah man thats not our way if you feel someone is putting up the front that if your new get lost then I will crack thier heads, I am talking straight MMA broseph lol nah your always welcome.
          lmao you tell em

Comment

Originally posted by szln6z View Post
            Guys:
            I don't know all the procedures yet, and yesterday's mission had the air of "if you don't know what you're doing, get lost."
            I'm going to have strict words with this "air" figure.

Comment

I felt very n00bish and aprehensive when i first logged onto the arma 2 TG servers, even though ive been playing on other TG servers for nearly 3 years. Alot of the people here (most id say) are arma 1 and ACE veterans so this didnt help me feel any more confortable.
              Theres usually 2 routes you can go down, 1) Ask for assistance and tell everyone your new, 2) Keep your lip sealed and pretend you know what your doing and pick it up as you go along. I went with the latter and if i hit a brick wall would ask. ("Arcto drop your stanmags on the ground".....errrrr......how do do that? :) )

Either way everyone here is very helpful and kind to, for want of a better word, noobs :D

The other day i was top of the leader board on DeepWater when i left game. Stolen dragonov for the win :P Not bad for a newish player.
              Nihility

Comment

Who was it that made you feel so uncomfortable? I know some guys who know some guys who put some guys in the river, and they'll be glad to deal with the problem, if you catch my drift.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." - R. E. Lee

Comment

Being a new player must be hard especially considering that it's ArmA. I don't know what was going on, but I do know that on Alpha server it is perhaps a bit more organized and such than the Bravo server, so that might have something to do with it. In my time on the TG servers I don't believe I've heard anybody say "if you don't know what you're doing, get lost." or give that sort of impression. Perhaps you came on the server at a bad time where some people were feeling 'elitist' or something, or perhaps there was some misunderstanding where there were a lot of vets on the server who knew exactly what they were doing to give that kind of impression etc.

So if you ask me, perhaps try the bravo server for a bit and then go on the alpha server. The bravo server is usually less 'strict' and such because new players on coming on about every day...

Comment

Originally posted by szln6z View Post
                    Guys:
                    I've agonized a bit over whether I should post this, but I think it's best to do so.

I bailed out of yesterday evening's Alpha server mission before it even started, and just wanted to explain why. As a newbie, I felt like I was a potential burden on the veterans. I don't know all the procedures yet, and yesterday's mission had the air of "if you don't know what you're doing, get lost." I've being doing my best to make a good impression, not screw up royally, and primarily have a fun time with a realistic battlefield sim. I didn't think that was going to happen last night based on what I was hearing in the pre-mission setup.

Maybe I was the only one that felt this way, but then again maybe I wasn't. I feel it may be beneficial to share this in case some the veterans maybe didn't realize how they can be perceived from someone who's new to TG.

Just trying to provide some honest feedback that hopefully can be considered and discussed.

James
                    i 100% understand where you're coming from and i'm sorry that you felt this way. The best advise i can give and of course after you get used to the guys in the game is to play under good leaders you will learn good skills from them, when you slot in look at who is the squad leader first then join that squad. I myself try to avoid few people with bad attitude because i simply don't need to put up with it because it's a "GAME".

Wish you good luck.
                    TG is a good community that has many good guys in it so don't let few guys discourage you from being with us.
                    sigpic

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 9.11 | Windows 7 7100 64 | RAID 0 640GB | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Cyborg Evo Wireless | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse
                    let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

Comment

No leader should have that attitude on a TG server, espeically in an non-event game. If your sure someone is leading with an attitude of "get lost if your not a pro" attitude, report that to our admins.
                      Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

I remember when I was playing ARMA 1 getting totally stressed out because I was assigned the SAW and I got lost. I did detect more than a little frustration in my squadmates voices.

Comment

It might be worth it to put together a short weekly session to introduce folks new to TG how we play here. I don't think it would be that complicated to have someone get everyone in TS, give a 5-10 minute overview on what is expected during game setup, and how to behave over comms, then have some simple little session in the game to go over the basics. It could be a one hour weekly thing.

Comment

So what you would like to see is a "TG Newcomer's Brief"?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                              So what you would like to see is a "TG Newcomer's Brief"?
                              Isnt that allready covered in the getting started thread?
                              Anyway; Id help out with this if needed. Got nothing better to do all week anyway :)
                              Nihility

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X