Recent level of play, realism and general notes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent level of play, realism and general notes

Let me preface my post by saying that I would first and foremost like to thank everyone who works and participates in the ArmA community especially the admins who generously donate their time to keep our servers running and all the players who make TG the community it is. Furthermore the any criticisms leveled here are not directed at any one person or groups of people in particular but are merely a reflection of the combined actions of the community.

That being said I feel there are several issues that need to be addressed regarding the level of play and conduct on the server especially over the last several weeks.

First and foremost I think it is clear that ArmA on TG has slipped considerably lately. In the last few weeks I have been unable to play as much as I would like due to real life but the few times I have been on the server the comms have been sloppy at best, SOPs are not being followed and in general there is a great sense of malaise especially regarding experienced players leading and most importantly TEACHING on the sever. In general the server has offered a poor experience at nearly all levels. That's not to say that every single game is a complete disaster but things are bad.

Now before you scroll down to the quick reply panel to post your rebuttal please take a second to hear me out.

First and foremost I think the major issues is that attitude of players on the sever and much of this has to with the general level of seriousness on the server. I for one don't find any issue with having fun and joking around on the server, people play ArmA to have fun, however ArmA is also a realistic battlefield simulation so seriousness is needed in order to effect that fun. So I propose a simple rule, if your in the game or briefing it should be serious time, does that mean being stone faced inhuman robotic solider? no. But it does mean that you should try to use proper comms, keep discussions relevant to the mission and act like the things you do matter because they do. Now if your spectating (i.e. dead person chat), in between missions or talking on the gum-flap channel in TS go ahead and be as interesting as you would like, you can even talk on gum-flap and play at the same time but if your on VON, or on another TS channel and its game time lets be serious.

In relation to what I said above I would like to include I post I made in the realism vs fun thread (yea that one) I AM NOT DIGGING ANY OF THAT STUFF BACK UP but I would like to show this post because I feel it got lost in what happened (please lets not go into that).

""As many other have pointed out I don't think that realism and fun are mutually exclusive I think that one can have lots of fun while at the same time playing a realistic military simulation which is what ArmA is. In the past I think TG has done and continues to do a great job at balancing this. I don't believe that there is any reason for us to try and "play military".

Personally I feel that one of the best ways to do this is to make realistic missions that actively encourage teamwork. At the core teamwork is where almost all players derive fun from ArmA, if people just wanted to shoot stuff there are plenty of other games that are smoother, better looking and less frustrating. However the one thing that draws people to ArmA and sets it apart from other games is the necessity of strong tactically sound teamwork on a level unprecedented in other FPS games. Therefore I don't think that realism should be our primary focus, instead teamplay should be our primary focus.

That being said in order to promote teamwork realism is one of the best tools. There are very good reasons why the military is organized the way it is platoons->squads->fireteams. Making missions where it is essential for those elements to act in a coordinated manner established the framework around which solid teamplay can be built. The most effective way to do this is provide realistic scenarios, making missions which impose realistic limitations and objectives on the players makes teamwork essential for mission success. In addition these limitations and constraints will push the tactics employed to mirror those of real life. Again we see there is a good reason why the tactics used in real life are the ones that are used.

So in summary in no way should realism be imposed on the tactics and organization of players, there is no need for ranks or Sirs or any sort of pseudomilitary organization. Instead providing a framework of teamwork in a realistic setting creates a blend of realism, teamwork and comradely that is both satisfying and FUN for everyone.""

Also I would like to include in reduced form the rationale behind my missions, I often get alot of flak for suggesting only my missions but as far as I know they are are only working platoon sized infantry centric limited scope missions on the sever. I think these are the kind of missions we should be playing especially with the influx of new people on the sever. I have nothing against 'spec ops' or 'combined arms' missions but we need to use the principle of crawl walk run those missions require much more careful coordination and assume everyone knows the operations of squads fireteams etc but the fact is we are not there yet so we have to focus on the basics which are good old infantry platoon missions.

As an addendum to that I think that we should promote impromptu advanced infantry tactics and maneuver classes on the server if and when we have willing and sizable populations as these have been done to great effect in the past with little effort.

Code:
    First off my missions are designed to simulate a full blown military conflict between two superpowers in the 1985-1990 era. This alone changes many of the assumptions that people hold about military conflicts especially since the wars that are being fought right now are not of this type.

So what do I plan for in my encounters? First and foremost I plan for teamwork, in all of my missions playing as a well organized platoon will mean you have a shot at winning the mission. This means that fire teams, squads and the platoon must have a strong command structure with strong leaders that can coordinate the fire and maneuver of their individual combat units to provide mutual support and complete their objectives. In addition objectives and enemy forces are positioned to prevent un-realistic flanking maneuvers with patrols and LP/OP's to force friendly movement in the AO to be more cautious. In a full blown military conflict the unit your facing doesn't exist in a vacuum, units on either side combined with artillery and air support mean that the standard TG tactic of sitting on the highest hill around the objective killing as many AI as possible and moving in from there doesn't work in all cases.

What does this mean for the average rifleman? The average rifleman can expect some drawn out engagements of like sized units or above. These can last from 5-10 minuets depending on the platoon commanders plan and the effectiveness of sections to close with and destroy the enemy. Several of these engagements constitute a mission with missions rarely lasting longer than an hour and half.

Now for some particular things that I change in order to make my missions adapt to these criteria.

Iron Sights:
    The first and most obvious difference is the lack of optics, for this I have a very particular reason. Iron Sights do the most to encourage team play of any changes listed here. With the ability to engage targets over 200m-250m severely limited it forces players to do two things, first is close with the enemy. The ArmA 2 AI while perhaps better than ArmA in some way still cannot cope with long range engagements. All too often I am playing a mission with optics and it devolves into the following: Set up positions, snipe AI with no return fire, move, repeat. Personally I don't think that is much fun sure your kill count is higher but did you have to coordinate with your squad, or even your fireteam. Not really you just blew away the AI without any real need for your team mates. Some might call this team play but if it is its because everyone is near each other shooting in the same direction.

The second thing Iron Sights do to encourage fire is force people to coordinate their fires, both within their fireteam, their squad and their platoon. Precisely because targets are harder to hit means that a single person's fire will not be enough to limit the engagement ability of an enemy unit. With optics one rifleman and very quickly limit the combat effectiveness of an enemy squad especial with AI. With Iron Sights units are forced to mass their fire and sustain that rate of fire in order to effectively negate the enemies ability to return effective fires. Some times this even means that especially if faced with a superior force a section alone will not be able to close with and destroy an enemy section but must coordinate with another section and have them maneuver to close with and kill the enemy.

Maps:
    The second most obvious thing in my missions is the lack of maps for all but some platoon staff and squad leaders. This is for three reasons, first the obvious that when playing on a lower difficulties players can’t map cheat and find enemy (something I think should be disabled on ALL difficulties). Second in means that individuals and fireteams can’t lonewolf. Fairly straightforward, if you don’t have a map it’s very hard to know what direction to run off in to go lonewolfing. Thirdly it promotes the use of fire teams as part of a squad rather than individual entities. Fireteams should be the maneuver elements of a squad but also always be in close contact with one another ready to offer mutual support of maneuver against a treat, extremely rarely should fireteams ever be out of visual range of each other (this doesn’t mean on the other side of a hill) it means several hundred meters from each other or more. By removing maps from FTL’s the SL has to show his map and constantly be briefing his FT’s on what their movement and plan will be as well as keeping them apprised of the platoon situation should the SL get hit.

No NVG’s:
    Very simple, No NVG’s make night more of a challenge and provide a different twist to the standard ArmA game play, the ArmA engine is one of the few that simulates night well and playing without NVG’s shows this the use of flares, tripflares and other sources of illumination as well as the need for better unit control make fighting at night a challenging experience. In addition it also allows the AI to close to unprecedented distances easily without detection meaning again that they are more likely to provide a good and reliable fight.

No Magic Medics:
    All of my missions to date utilize the medic module but without the use of
    “Corpsman” units. This means that everyone can perform basic life saving actions but that it will take a long time and people will not end up fully healed. This is done for several reasons, first and foremost it makes taking a casualty a more serious affair than when a medic can heal them in 30secs. Secondly from a purely simulation viewpoint I don’t think that Magic Medics should be included in ArmA and I think my system offers a reasonable alternative. The biggest problem I think is that not everyone understands the role the platoon HQ and individual soldiers should play when a casualties is taken (see my thread on handling casualties). This system means that that getting hit is a more serious affair and one that is not to be taken lightly. It also means that to fully heal someone at least some form of evacuation in necessary be it to an ambulance, field hospital or even a CASEVAC.

JIP/No Respawn:
    This one is because I don’t want to punish people for just showing up late to a mission but I would like death to carry some serious consequences. I feel that if properly monitored by admins that the JIP/NoRespawn system provides for this. It allows players showing up to join the mission in progress although they may have some walking to do to catch up to the platoon, however it makes people be more cautious and reduces the amount of stupid stuff people try to pull. I feel that no respawn is justified given my mission length(usually short) and its true sometimes you get real unlucky and get hit early but since I severely limit AI Skill the chance of getting sniped in the head from 400m with an AK is EXTREAMLY low and far and away most of the time people are not killed outright unless the AI is within 50m. In addition I almost always include a casualties cap script so that if the majority of the platoon is killed the mission ends which prevents everyone waiting on 3 people to try and finish the mission.

Walking/Lack of Vehicles:
    To date most of my missions have been infantry centric, that is because that’s what ArmA does best far and away. However this leads to people having to walk to their objectives, the longest I have ever placed the spawn from the AO is about 500m, and jogging up 500m does not take long at all so in reality the amount of walking you do in game is comparatively short less than a few minuets and it allows the squads and FT’s time to get organized. As for lack of vehicles, in combined arms maps vehicles tend to do most of the killing and given that they are usually not what the majority of the players are doing it means that often while it is fun for the vehicle crews the infantry get stuck doing nothing. However I don’t mind making armor centric maps and in fact I have one in the works now after I release my most recent mission.

Artillery:
    Part of full out warfare is artillery. Like it or not artillery is a major killer especially of infantry however I do my best to limit its use. For that reason when I drop artillery on the players positions, I use a spawn script to spawn small shells to represent 60mm mortars because hitting the players with 105mm shells or higher is not fun in anyone’s sense of the word. However sprinkling of mortars adds some cool effects, gives the players yet another thing to deal with and encourages players to maintain proper spacing between people. In addition I use artillery only after the players have completed at least one objective in order to avoid someone being randomly killed by artillery without the chance to do anything in the mission which I totally agree is stupid.

I really don't think that my missions are the best on the sever, infact there are several missions that I think are much better than mine. I know there are still a lot of things that I can do better for example randomization, many of my missions lack the amount of randomization that I would like them to but every time I make a new mission I do things differently, try new ideas and some times they suck and sometimes they work. However I don't think that the critiques I get are particularly helpful, either people think the missions are fine of people hate them, that really doesn't help me. I would like to know why they suck or why you like them so I can work on making things better I hope people have fun playing my missions and I think that people do because if no one did people wouldn't play them however some constructive criticism would be really helpful to me.

So there you go, that’s why I do the things I do when I make my missions, I understand not everyone has the same definition of fun as mine and that’s fine I am offering a certain type of mission, a focused usually infantry based map with several objectives and numerous ways to complete those objectives while staying in the framework of a larger operation. Nor do I think that this is the only way to make a good mission. I have had much fun with many other peoples missions and do enjoy playing some of them. So no I am not looking for every mission to use only iron sights or remove maps or have no magic medics but I think if mission makers keep in mind promoting team play as one of their objectives missions would turn out only that much better.
    Finally (my time is running short and I have a flight to catch but I will post some more stuff when I can) I would like to offer what I think one of the best solutions would be to the problem... revitalize the pathfinders program. I think what we need most of all is the people who know what they are doing and are good examples of what TG means to lead the new guys, the mistakes here are no ones fault if anything it is a failure in instruction what we need is a good cooperative positive learning environment. We don't need to be drill sergeants yelling at people instead we need to be the wise platoon sergeant guiding the green 2lt. We do that and we create an environment that is both realistic, and fun for all players. And with that I have to go. Hope this sparks some good discussion.

-Falcon

Re: Recent level of play, realism and general notes

Falcon,
    I stand behind you on column formation :)
    That was the worst night ever, everybody was talking, it was like a flea market!
    I was hoping an admin to silent everybody or kick someone but the ordeal continued against Falcon, everybody jumped on the band wagon against Falcon and i didn't understand WHY!! i noticed Jack was frustrated as well and wrote a message on screen to end it but it just continued. Loosen up guys it's a GAME and if you're that military hardcore, hey i have a good news, president Obama is planning to enforce the troops in Afghanistan so this is a great opportunity for you :row__573: for some realistic action :row__642:
    sigpic

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 9.11 | Windows 7 7100 64 | RAID 0 640GB | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Cyborg Evo Wireless | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse
    let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

Comment

i fell just a lack of mutual respect on the server..... really upsets me, i know that we can do better

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Alright, I rarely make posts....ever, so take this for what it is.

I hate playing here somedays because of the level of gameplay has dropped since August. Back then, it was phenomenal; people were coordinated, using radio procedure, assets were effectively employed etc etc. I don't necessarily know where the drop occured or when but I do know its not the same.

Now I am not one to post a problem without offering a solution so here it is. I will start running through TGU some courses for ARMA 2. They will be difficult and not for the faint of heart (I am not implying me being an @$$hole, just its a lot of information, homework, and practical application) so when I post them, only personnel that have the willingness to learn should attend. Further to that, I will be running some Infantry courses as well that will be more to a public audience and an easier time trying to learn and apply. I do not close my courses to anyone, I welcome all to attend but I do have expectations that will be outlined once I make the post for the sign up.

Back to the topic at hand, Falcon.....oh God I can't believe I'm saying this.... is right. Perhaps taking the route of sheer 'Militarism' is not the correct one however the employment of personnel and assets in a more effective manner is needed. That does come back to teamplay. Don't mistaken me, there is teamplay here but look at statistics, how many mission FAILED do we have on average compared to SUCCESS? Exactly, none the less something needs to be one.

I will put in my part by making the gameplay here and overall level of players to a higher standard through instruction. I will do my best to make that a personal goal and hopefully over the next few weeks we will see a dramatic improvement in professionalism that can inspire new-comers to be more like the 'Cool Kids'.

What are you going to do?

Pro Patria

Comment

I think the no respawns is very important. Gameplay degrades to spammyness when people are respawning individually and moving up by themselves. The enemies in the mission and it's objectives also lend to server styles. If players are engaged (Not firefights, as in interesed in whats happening) then the game runs more smoothly.

But remember it is a game. If I wanted super-uber-realism, I would join airsoft or join the Army.

Comment

I'm new; my perspective may not apply here. That said, I think that I have a sense for what Falcon is referring to; in a week or so of playing, I've had some great games, and some games where the experience was not in line with how TG advertises itself.

Personally, my "best games" have happened when I was part of a fireteam that was sticking together, with a clear leader and relatively quiet comms. Being told what the goal is, and then being able to help the team get there while listening to the CO and FTL, are enjoyable parts of being a new grunt. As the newbie, I'm looking to the more senior players and trying to figure out what is expected, what works, and what to avoid. I can mange the "game" parts, either with practice or drawing from past experiences -- what I want is direction on how to fit into the TG culture and be an asset within the milsim environment.

Conversely, I've had some "bad games" (which is overstating things) where I had no idea what to do, where to go, how to help, and asking questions wasn't yielding answers. In those games, I tended to ask the guys around me, "what should I do?" and either receive no response or be told, "just go follow someone". That's not really fun, and not the type of response I'd expect.

No whining here. Bad games happen, and it's been rare so far. However, feeling a bit useless and not being able to follow the comms or refer to the SOP that I read about before starting to play exacerbates that sense of confusion, and as a newbie, makes for a much less fun -or- realistic experience.

I'd love to sit in on some teaching-oriented games. My hope is that there's a reasonable way to go about learning enough to both experience whatever it is that Zedic and Falcon experienced in the past, and carry that tradition forward when I'm not quite so green.

Comment

I wouldn't really mind to do more practice-oriented rounds really. The important thing after all isn't to beat the missions and see "Mission Success" at the end, but to have fun!

If that means practicing squad or platoon fire and maneuver and stuff like that, then so be it. I still have a fond memory of the spontanous and a bit clumsy practice session that me, Falcon and Miles Teg (?) held with two squads of really good students. I think it was a blast, and even though many mistakes were made I think a lot was learned in general.

I for one know at least, that playing that style and effectiveness of infantry combat IS fun, winning or not.

Edit: I also think I need to chip in for the AI improvements here! SLX_AI, SLX_GL3 and Zeus AI Skill mod are really making a difference here, and I think that maneouvre elements and fire bases become even more important here, so that the fire base can draw the attention of the AI, so that they become the targets of the wall of suppressive return fire, rather than the assaulting elements who will be really bad off at close range against so many bullets.

Comment

Yeah things have not been so great as of late. And I have definitely have not been doing my part to help them get better and for this I apologize.

Move thing that might motivate some players is a kick. I know it sounds harsh but your SL should not have to remind you every 5 seconds to stay in formation and stop advancing.
                Last edited by blackmain; 11-29-2009, 08:45 PM.

The hungry, ignorant man immediately grasps that he is handed a fish, but is bewildered when handed a net. The man who shivers in the cold thinks happily of the man who invites him to sit by his fire, and somewhat poorly of the man who loans him an axe, flint and steel.

Comment

Now some of you may remember a debate a while back about weather to unlock the server. Now i'm not going to say that is has anything to do with that, but in not not going to say that either. People against the unlock warned of something like this and I fear it may be starting to come true. Not that everyone who joined during the massive OMG FULL SERVER JOIN JOIN JOIN PUBBIE SWARM AHHHHHH zerg are contributing to the problem, but some most certainly are and I could name 2 names right off the top of my head that are contributing to the problem. Ill also admit that I've never been one of the realism junkies and that I don't mind a funny conversation poking fun at Canadians as we proceed to our next obj, but getting people killed is where I draw the line, there you are making the game less fun for other people which is not ok with me. I am also a huge propenent of the tactical blob. Walking in other formations is just a pain in arma and not worth the trouble IMO(ok maybe column is good but wedges and stuff like that are pointless.)

I would love to put it in a more blunt and less politically correct way but that tends to get people angry and we don't want that. (If your really curious how i feel catch me on teamspeak, and Ill tell it without political correctness.)

I openly admit that I have zero idea about how the military uses comms and haven't made any attempt or plan on making an attempt to learn them, but personally I think I keep it short enough and get my point across when im communicating with anyone out of my squad(in my squad were usually to busy kicking ass to talk at all). Im also not a big fan of TGU its probly not justified, but every course ive been involved in has been involved in has just been kinda sucky(Ive only done one course in arma rest in PR).

As far as fixing it? Well thats the tough part we have to somehow convince these new people that are causeing problems to eithier A) Go away or B)do what we want. As far as how we exactly go about it will be up to the community and the admins. It wont be something we take a vote on and defiantly wont occur over night it will require a transformation in what some people consider "fun".
                  Last edited by tralicrifleman; 11-29-2009, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Tralic, with all due respect everything you just wrote there seems to embody that you like to play and don't really care how you play just don't TK one another. I don't think that is how ARMA 2 is meant to be played in the slightest. Further why would you openly admit you have no interest in learning anything that would make you better at playing the game or working in a more cohesive manner. I've heard your comms before, you repeat things like 3 or 4 times and clog up the means ridiculously at times. Not to mention I never know whom your talking too. I honestly think as a personal development you should look into it.

Not trying to start a flame, not trying to insult you, just trying to offer some friendly advice.

Further, don't ever let me catch you poking fun at Canadians or we will have words. I don't insult Americans, I'd expect the same respect.

Pro Patria

Comment

Originally posted by tralicrifleman View Post
                      Ill also admit that I've never been one of the realism junkies and that I don't mind a funny conversation poking fun at Canadians as we proceed to our next obj
                      Honestly it would be more hilarious poking fun at George W. Bush since he is well known when it comes to his 3 year old english :), also Canada is not fun anymore, P. lease!
                      sigpic

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 9.11 | Windows 7 7100 64 | RAID 0 640GB | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Cyborg Evo Wireless | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse
                      let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

Comment

Ok first perhaps I was not clear by getting people killed I didn't mean Tk i mean being a tard or messing around or not doing what I say ect.(essentially no BS in fights but as long as it doesn't get to bad go ahead and do what you want out of fights.)

Second I and just making fun of you guys, I have been to Canada and its a very nice country, infact my best friend from kindergarten up through 5th grade moved to Canada and every year we take a trip up there to see then and our family in Michigan. Its a very nice country and I'm sorry if you've ever taking offence to one of my Canada jokes(your free to make fun of America any time its just as much if not more messed up then Canada unfortunately.)

And Finally I didn't at all say I didn't want to learn things. I said I don't plan on learning any new comms. Are there things I could improve on, YES!, but my comms are good enough and Id rather spend my time learning things like how to use FTs which is epic fail at when I'm Squad leading(its so bad I usually just don't use them even if they are built into a missions.)

Comment

stay on point about the purpose of falcon's post.

Comment

Good post, alot to consider here. A couple of things to say broadly: I haven't been on very often lately, but I see a wide discrepancy between gaming quality. There are times when games run very well and are teamwork oriented, and other times when either the team compositions aren't quite right (leading/following directives, understanding the current CO intent, etc) or mission/technical issues are disrupting the play.

In business language, there are issues with quality control and consistent customer experience (ie-- sometimes my Big Mac has barbecue sauce on it).

Sometimes the CO or FTL is completely silent when teams need direction or someone is talking about a movie when a break-break is called out or a fairly new player is lonewolfing.

So overall, I would hesitate labeling all of TG gameplay as being bad or good but maybe focus on identifying what is happening when it is bad (with the goal of making a proper Big Mac)... and that's what I think Falcon has done very well:

Originally posted by Falcon_262 View Post
                            But it does mean that you should try to use proper comms, keep discussions relevant to the mission and act like the things you do matter because they do.
                            Yep. People falling in love with their own voice. Don't be that guy.

Personally I feel that one of the best ways to do this is to make realistic missions that actively encourage teamwork. At the core teamwork is where almost all players derive fun from ArmA [...] Making missions where it is essential for those elements to act in a coordinated manner established the framework around which solid teamplay can be built. The most effective way to do this is provide realistic scenarios, making missions which impose realistic limitations and objectives on the players makes teamwork essential for mission success. In addition these limitations and constraints will push the tactics employed to mirror those of real life. Again we see there is a good reason why the tactics used in real life are the ones that are used.
                            Absolutely. I've also noticed that a mission's LOCATION makes a huge difference due to the AI be incapable of long range engagement. Chernarus forests tend to limit long range optics engagement and require a more up-close-and-personal-touch, where some of the flatter terrains are like a billiard table and allow for long range AI turkey shoots, even for iron sights.

Also I would like to include in reduced form the rationale behind my missions, I often get alot of flak for suggesting only my missions but as far as I know they are are only working platoon sized infantry centric limited scope missions on the sever. I think these are the kind of missions we should be playing especially with the influx of new people on the sever. I have nothing against 'spec ops' or 'combined arms' missions but we need to use the principle of crawl walk run those missions require much more careful coordination and assume everyone knows the operations of squads fireteams etc but the fact is we are not there yet so we have to focus on the basics which are good old infantry platoon missions.
                            I can't recall all of your missions, but the missions I remember I thought were challenging and balanced. There are ALOT of missions on the server however... are you sure they're the only platoon centric missions? I haven't checked the #missions list since the housecleaning...

One note of personal preference here, I know the server is experiencing high traffic since the PCgamer article and particularly since going public with the Bravo server, but I still think that smaller player-count missions are more tactical. Just because we CAN fill up a mission with 45+ players doesn't mean we must/should. If you count 18 players when you are about to select the next mission, in my opinion there is no problem with selecting an 18 player mission, rather than a 45 player mission with JIP to bait more players into the server (and thus causing a flood of JIPs with a totally borked mission dynamic). These missions with enormous player counts can fall apart with technical/tactical problems (even on Alpha) and my feeling is that bigger is not always better.

Are TG players allergic to Bravo these days? Do we need/can TG afford a Charlie server with mods and a password, so there can be two smaller sessions?

As an addendum to that I think that we should promote impromptu advanced infantry tactics and maneuver classes on the server if and when we have willing and sizable populations as these have been done to great effect in the past with little effort.
                            Could be cool. Base of fire and flanking maneuvers seem to be misunderstood by riflemen until they practice it a few times, and it inevitably need to be explained again in-game... some practice could maybe get everyone on the same page with this.

Iron Sights:
                            [...]
                            Yup. Until the AI have optics and shoot back at 500m+ I think they make the game completely suck. Unfortunately, even iron sights aren't enough of a handicap on some flat terrains (see my whine earlier).

Maps:
                            The second most obvious thing in my missions is the lack of maps for all but some platoon staff and squad leaders.
                            [...]
                            The only problem I have with no maps is when RESPAWN or JIP are enabled. You have respawn turned off in all your missions, so that's not a problem, but what about JIPs? Joining late and spawning at base with no map...

No NVG’s:
                            [...]
                            Love it. I like the color green, don't get me wrong... but when my monitor is monochrome green for an entire mission I feel like I time warped back into 1983. I would rather see a flare with a bit of ghostly color for 30 secs than green for 30 minutes.

No Magic Medics:
                            [...]
                            This is an issue with this only because of a major bug in the medic module that "breaks" when attempting to carry a wounded teammate... you can never put them down. If you try to put them down, they will become stuck on your boot... at least in the other players view, the wounded player is in a prone position and is dragging around attached to the "carrier's" boot. The carrier will see someone stuck to his boot too. The wounded player will see himself as still being carried. The carrier cannot drop the wounded player at all, it's a permanent stuck-to-boot position. Funny, except when you realize it will continue for 30 minutes and the joke gets kind of old.

So carrying a wounded teammate who cannot walk is majorly bugged, which really messes up the no-magic-medic policy. You have to be willing to carry a wounded teammate on your boot for the remainder of the mission, or make him crawl until the end of the mission... oh, or you can drag him around. Dragging a teammate works fine (incredibly slow, may as well make him crawl alone).

Not good options.

JIP/No Respawn:
                            This one is because I don’t want to punish people for just showing up late to a mission but I would like death to carry some serious consequences.
                            [...]
                            Hmmm I personally say no JIP either, but I understand. I still don't understand how a player with no map can rendevous with his squad though.

Walking/Lack of Vehicles:
                            To date most of my missions have been infantry centric, that is because that’s what ArmA does best far and away. However this leads to people having to walk to their objectives, the longest I have ever placed the spawn from the AO is about 500m, and jogging up 500m does not take long at all so in reality the amount of walking you do in game is comparatively short less than a few minuets and it allows the squads and FT’s time to get organized. As for lack of vehicles, in combined arms maps vehicles tend to do most of the killing and given that they are usually not what the majority of the players are doing it means that often while it is fun for the vehicle crews the infantry get stuck doing nothing. However I don’t mind making armor centric maps and in fact I have one in the works now after I release my most recent mission.
                            Short travel time is important and much appreciated.

Some vehicles would be nice though... can you throw a Hummer in there with a .50 cal every now and then? :)

Artillery:
                            Part of full out warfare is artillery. Like it or not artillery is a major killer especially of infantry however I do my best to limit its use. For that reason when I drop artillery on the players positions, I use a spawn script to spawn small shells to represent 60mm mortars because hitting the players with 105mm shells or higher is not fun in anyone’s sense of the word. However sprinkling of mortars adds some cool effects, gives the players yet another thing to deal with and encourages players to maintain proper spacing between people. In addition I use artillery only after the players have completed at least one objective in order to avoid someone being randomly killed by artillery without the chance to do anything in the mission which I totally agree is stupid.
                            In my opinion, completely random deaths should be limited to missions that are very short. Please don't randomly kill me in the first ten minutes of an hour long mission. That's just cold hearted.

Just to wrap up my long post, Falcon you've made some awesome missions and I personally appreciate your contributions so far and value your work. So thanks.

Catch you in-game.

Comment

I can already see this post ending badly...

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                              So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X