SLI users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLI users

I know there is a technical thread, but....doesn't get much traffic.

If you are running SLI, please go to your Documents and post the arma2.cfg file info.

Here's mine:

language="English";
    adapter=-1;
    3D_Performance=93750;
    Resolution_Bpp=32;
    Resolution_W=1920;
    Resolution_H=1080;
    refresh=60;
    Render_W=1920;
    Render_H=1080;
    FSAA=0;
    postFX=0;
    HDRPrecision=8;
    lastDeviceId="";
    localVRAM=919994368;
    nonlocalVRAM=1878609920;

Are my numbers right?

Settings are normal, and a couple high. Shadows are on very high (as recommended).
    I have done all the tricks in nVidia control panel.

Q6600 OC-ed to 3.0Ghz
    4GB Ram @ 800Mhz
    2x GTX 260 SLI (896MB)
    Driver: 191.07 (latest ones seem iffy I hear)
    Running at 108op (see resolution above)

I wanted SLI so I could play in 1080p. But the gain in smoothness/FPS seem a bit low.

After messin with some settings, I got a HUGE FPS hit in cities. UGH!

Please share tops/settings.

Thanks!

Anyone have tips??

Thanks!

Re: SLI users

You aren't going to like what I say...

When you increase the resolution to 1920 x 1080, you stress more than just your video cards. I bought an additional 8800GTX for cheap but saw zero improvement, and I'm rendering on a 1080p LCD TV also.

It's the hard drive. When you increase the resolution, Arma chews through more texture files than you can imagine. Disk Seek times like 5 milliseconds may seem fine, but in terms of video rendering it glacier slow.

I bought an SSD for $300 and it immediately unlocked the SLI power. You have no idea how nice my gaming looks, and smooth too, very rarely falls below 23fps. I can turn my head in all directions with no stutter because Arma can read the texture files in as quickly as my video cards need them.

Here's a long post I put up not too long ago about it:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/arma-2-...sault-2-a.html

SSDs may be cheaper now, haven't checked lately, but if you do buy one be sure it has a cache (64MB preferred). Ignore the stuff I say about using Windows XP, it's not worth changing your entire operating system for a couple of frames per second... but the SSD was the answer. SSDs are about 100x faster than a traditional hard drive, but triple the price per GB too. Seek Times for an SSD are measured in MICROSECONDS.

Some people say doing a RAID with 10,000rpm drives is "good enough" but when you look at the cost of that setup, you may as well just buy an SSD and still be 30x faster. The RAID may transfer data at close to the same MB/sec, but the time it takes to seek a file is the big killer. 5 millisecs vs 200 microseconds? Ouch. And it doesn't help that Arma 2 "forgets" textures like a granny with amnesia... it caches almost nothing to memory... pretty sad.

Other A2 players on the BIS forum have taken it even further... some of them have more than 12GB of extra RAM (which is ridiculous... who are these people with 16GB of RAM on their machine??) so they have set up a "RAM disk" and copied the entire arma2 folder onto it (and they never turn their computer off or it disappears, or they recopy it). Supposedly the RAM disk is even faster than an SSD (100x faster). Some have reported full maxed video settings and getting close to 60fps.

Comment

Oh and here's my arma.cfg settings. I haven't tweaked them at all. I used to read the video tweaks obsessively and rarely saw much improvement. The real difference was what I mentioned above, and it was the last thing I expected.

NOTE: I will often run 3d resolution at 150% in a coop game, but the settings below are for TvT where I need a few more frames per second. I can't quite get 200% resolution with my new 1080p LCD TV, it's just too big for two old 8800gtx cards. I bet your 260gtx cards could handle 200% resolution though (with a faster drive).

language="English";
      adapter=-1;
      3D_Performance=100000;
      Resolution_Bpp=32;
      Resolution_W=1920;
      Resolution_H=1080;
      refresh=60;
      Render_W=1920;
      Render_H=1080;
      FSAA=0;
      postFX=0;
      HDRPrecision=8;
      lastDeviceId="";
      localVRAM=775094272;
      nonlocalVRAM=1878282240;
      GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;
      GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;
      Windowed=0;
      winX=16;
      winY=32;
      winW=1920;
      winH=1080;
      winDefW=1920;
      winDefH=1080;

Comment

Thanks for the info. post. But I knew all that - from the post that you mention! :) and from reading other stuff, including RAM disk - but I think you made that known to me as well.

I have a 23.6" LCD screen, not a TV. 1080p is nice. I can run fine. Graphics are OK. Mostly Normal, with no AA or AF. I am still in tweaking. I turned object detail to Very High, and noticed bad stuff in cities. In forests, it's fine, or sparse buildings.

I also messed with the video memory setting, so maybe that was it.

The SLI helped with the resolution, but not as much with graphic quality.

I am yet to mess around with AF and other settings. Objects Detail at very high does seem like it takes a lot. I'm going to go back to my original settings (except keep 1080p) and work my way up.

Yes, arma does forget the dang textures, oh so quickly. ARGH!

I might eventually buy an SSD. Especially now that you say it unlocked the power of the SLI. haha, all this stuff for one game, but it sure is a sweet game.
        Good thing my second card was used; saved some cash.

Thank you for posting your .cfg file. My main concern was that the settings wee not set properly, thus not taking full advantage of my hardware.
        Such as localvram numbers. Apparently, it's OK (?). Someone told me the numbers should be just for 1 card, and it will get mirrored or something? And that the GPUs count mostly.

Thanks again.

I know there are others with SLI. Anything helped you guys out?

Comment

Hi res is definitely a challenge on the disk speed. My second video card didn't help until I fixed that problem and then it was a great improvement. 1920x1080 is a LOT of pixels, so the second video card will make a big difference.

...and yep, your CFG looks fine to me, but I noticed you don't have a GPU_DetectedFramesAhead value. That should be 3 or less (I set it in the Nvidia control panel, I never modified the CFG file directly at all). Higher frames ahead rendering are ok at lower resolution and non-SLI, but you really should keep it lower for what you are doing (the Nvidia default is 3, I have had good results with between 0 and 3). Also, be sure the PhysX GPU Acceleration is disabled.

If you ever want to "start over" with your CFG file, I think you can change it to "arma.cfg.backup" and then Arma2 will create a default CFG file when you start the game.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I noticed that too. I forgot to mention it. I have seen others with it, some didn't have it.

As I have read, it was recommended to change the "maximum pre-rendered frames" to 8.
            I should change it to 3?

Also, I am running command -cpuCount=4. Is that right? or should it be 8? I hear conflicting info, but mostly 4.

Ok, I will try.

I am eying this to buy around peak holiday season: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227468

Comment

Originally posted by Romaniac View Post
              I noticed that too. I forgot to mention it. I have seen others with it, some didn't have it.

As I have read, it was recommended to change the "maximum pre-rendered frames" to 8.
              I should change it to 3?

Ok, I will try.
              For very hi-res, like 1920x1080, the default pre-rendered is better. I had stuttering with 8, smooth at 3, and now that I remember, I crashed when I tried 0. :D

I think it's just too much pre-rendering. Look at the numbers, compared to a typical native resolution and 1080p:

1024x768...= 786,432
              1920x1080..= 2,073,600

...almost 3 x more pixels to render. Trying to pre-render 8 frames of that needs alot of video power.

Originally posted by Romaniac View Post
              I am eying this to buy around peak holiday season: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227468
              That SSD looks very nice. I have an OCZ Vertex too and I love it. The important specs that make it a good choice are:

64MB Onboard Cache <-- critical, don't buy SSDs without a cache
              Sequential Access - Read up to 240MB/s <-- very good, don't go for anything below 150MB/sec
              Sequential Access - Write up to 145MB/s <-- good write speeds, less than 100 is weak
              Sustained Write: Up to 100MB/s <-- typical for sustained writes to an SSD, since a cache won't help for this

Rock on.

Comment

Yep, I was eying those numbers. Thanks for the cache tip. I didn't know to look for it. Surprisingly, a lot of the other drives do not list their cache.

I will try the pre-rendered frames @ 3.

What other values do you have selected in nV CP? Such as triple buffering (recommended ON for A2) etc. Basically, from pre-rendered frames on down.

Thank you for all the help!
                Last edited by Romaniac; 12-15-2009, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X