Any laptop gamers out there?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any laptop gamers out there?

Hello, how many people here play arma on their laptops an if so what kind of rig do you use? I was thinking of getting a laptop to play arma on. The one I had in mind was this particular gateway:
    http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668356.php

It uses the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M grahpic system. Do any of you know how this squares up against NVIDIA's other cards such as the 9600 and the 8800?

Re: Any laptop gamers out there?

that card actually has more video memory than the 9600. I use a radeon with 1Gig of DDR3 and it works amazingly. The processor is a little low. Not too bad though. Dual Core 2.53 should be able to make ArmA work. You wont be able to crank up your card like you would if your CPU where a little bigger, but thats all personal preferance anyway. All in all it looks like a fairly good deal. How much are you snagging it for?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I'll probally be getting it for around $1200. On my current Gateway desktop arma runs pretty smoothly on very high settings. I am using a Geforce 9600, but my proccessor is also an Intel Quad Core.

Do you know what kind of settings I am looking at with a Dual Core? Will it run on high?

Comment

Originally posted by Seiler View Post
        Will it run on high?
        Thats difficult to say. With computers especially laptops its 50/50. I would say with that set up normal would be about right, mostly because of the CPU. I just built a new machine and can run COD:MW2 on the highest resolution and the detail and shadows on the highest setting but still have to tone back on the ArmA side. Just start low and work your way up. Even if you cant max it out you can still be playing arma while laying in bed...that accounts for something ;)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Probably not high. The "GTX" Nvidia architecture is strong, and rendering 1440 x 900 with a single 260 is probably ok but, as I've mentioned before on these forums, the disk speed makes a big difference (alot of people overlook this). A slow desktop disk is 7,200rpm, and laptops with a 5,400rpm... well I don't know, the platters are smaller, but I still think it will be slow while it tries to load the massive texture files. The CPU is strong for a laptop, but a Quad would be better (and those are expensive in a laptop).

I think "Normal" would run fairly smooth with SOME of the effects turned up, but don't expect to go High or Very High, or any higher than 100% resolution setting (at most) and view distance at probably 2.5km.

That's my guess. Next opinion step right up.

Comment

make sure it has good cooler, laptops heat up like a B****

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
            So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

The games looks fine on Normal settings, just turn your post-processing effects down or else everything will make your eyes bleed.
              |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

make sure you shop around for comparable systems man.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834114785

320GB HDD< but it's at 7200RPM. Also has a 9800M video card.
                Shop around, newegg.com and others.

Comment

Yes, my mistake. I misread. Anyway, points stands: shop around.

Comment

Helps to check the scores for each video card too. Romaniac is right, the 9800M GTS scores slightly higher than the 260M GTX.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

EDIT: Haha Romaniac is responding to a post that I deleted because I double-checked myself and I was WRONG. GTX is usually the top of the line Nvidia (and usually better than a GTS), but it turns out you were right Rom. Check the scores... the GTS actually wins this one:

GeForce GTX 260M scores 754
                    GeForce 9800M GTS scores 814

Comment

lol. I think I got confused too....

Comment

I don't play ArmA personally but I play Project Reality a lot on a laptop (when not at my desktop) with most settings on medium/high.

I got it for $500.

It's a Compaq Presario CQ50 with an AMD Turion x2x64, Nvidia 8800GT graphics card, 3GB RAM..

Whatever you do, avoid Dell laptops.

They suck. I wouldn't go with Gateway either. Stick to HP/Compaq/Toshiba.

EDIT:
                        This is a fairly similar model, but not exactly what I have.
                        http://www.google.com/products/catal...&os=tech-specs

I'll get 40ish FPS on the laptop with medium/high settings on most PR maps.

Comment

@Startrekern

I personally have always stayed with HP laptops, they work really well. Plus nowadays its too easy to upgrade them if they cant run what you are trying to play. Also Seiler tell us if/when you get that laptop and let us know how its workin for ya

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Glad you guys have had luck

Good study to check out:
                            http://blog.squaretrade.com/2009/11/...ree-years.html

However, keep in mind (and they note this), if you buy a more expensive product, usually they are better.

Also, this is a gaming Laptop you want, so it may be different in terms of how those qualities play out.

Comment

I game on my Dell xps 1730. Gotta love arma2 in bed with a beer :D

core2 duo 3.2, 8g memory, 2xnvidia 8800 sli

cost me a small car tho :|

|TG-TFP|Jaynus
                              Task Force Proteus

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X