US Army Sniper Training Manual

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Army Sniper Training Manual

By popular request, I'm posting a link to FM 23-10, hosted at www.globalsecurity.org. I discovered this document in my first year of high school and printed it in my computer programming class at a rate of 20 pages a day. It's HTML but a PDF is also available on the same site. Basically, this document contains everything you need to know to be an effective, competent sniper. I thought that with the upcoming sniping competition, it would only be fair to share its content with everyone. Some of it (like how to assemble a ghillie suit, or find a sniping spot in detailed urban interiors) is not applicable to ARMA2 engine but for the purposes of team movement, observation techniques and using range cards effectively it is highly translatable. I'd encourage anyone not familiar with globalsecurity to take a look through their outstanding collection of training documents, on pretty much every subject. It exists as a resource for journalists or military contractors but I suppose members of a MILSIM gaming community could find it useful as well.

The link is as follows:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...army/fm/23-10/
    http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/23-10/toc.pdf (PDF)
    Last edited by Hank Rearden; 12-17-2009, 01:26 AM. Reason: Posted PDF Link

If the leader is filled with high ambition and if he pursues his aims with audacity and strength of will, he will reach them in spite of all obstacles.
    -Carl Von Clausewitz

'The Great Game' -Blog on War in Afghanistan:

Re: US Army Sniper Training Manual

Good find :icon14:

To further even up the field, here's a TG-specific release of my scopes-package. The special thing in this version is a completely new 16x mildot-reticle and scope parameters for the MacMillan Tac50. Just follow the ACE and ACEX-specific installation instructions in the readme and you'll get it. I don't know what scope the US uses on this rifle so this one is closely moddeled after the scope used by the Canadians. Unlike with BIS-scopes all mildots are in scale with the scopes and binoculars(mils are marked in tens) in the package, so no more blaming the equipment if you miss. :)

Download
    Last edited by Fincuan; 12-16-2009, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Awesome work fin. Can't wait for the link.

Comment

Generally I would say you are best off reading the Guide to Markmanship using ACE2

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/G...hip_using_ACE2

-and the basic rifleman chapter of Dslyecxi's tactical guide

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/basic_rifleman.html
        Last edited by sparks50; 12-16-2009, 08:46 PM.

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

Cool find, Rearden. It's always interesting (if a bit nerdy, from our point of things) to read over the field manuals that are used in reality, even if it IS a bit overkill!

PS: Finc, I believe the Navy SEAL variant of the Tac-50, the Mk.15, uses the same reticule system. Can't confirm that, though.

Edit: Additionally, Fincuan, when you say your reticule package is calibrated to your ballistics modeling, just how well will they work in multiplayer? Can I expect an accurate mil/MOA adjustment scale using your scopes and ACE's ballistics?

Comment

Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
            Can I expect an accurate mil/MOA adjustment scale using your scopes and ACE's ballistics?
            Yeah, the ACE ballistics are exactly the same or at least really close for the weapons where it matters. It doesn't matter at all with mildot reticles though, only with reticles that have a BDC(bullet drop compensator)

Comment

So sniping with an SVD just got a lot more complicated, eh?

Comment

How so? The SVD-reticle is only a BDC-reticle beyond 1000 meters(the tick marks are for 1000, 1100, 1200 and 1300 meters). Until that you use sightadjustment. Besides that SVD's ballistics are exactly the same in my mod and ACE.

Anyway, shall we get back on the track. This was about the training manual :) Has anyone got far enough in it to form an opinion on if it applies well to Arma2?

Comment

I -really- wish it was PDF form, that html is a pain unless your looking for a specific chapter.

Comment

Original Post updated to reflect PDF. All these manuals are available in PDF format as well elsewhere online, just have to know what they're called. In this case: FM 23-10.

If the leader is filled with high ambition and if he pursues his aims with audacity and strength of will, he will reach them in spite of all obstacles.
                    -Carl Von Clausewitz

'The Great Game' -Blog on War in Afghanistan:

Comment

thanks hank

Comment

Not real life manual, but this guide will show you ballistics, how to correctly use the weapons etc for ACE 2.
                        Well worth a read, even for experienced players.

quote from BI forums:

Originally posted by FreeFire View Post
                        Greetings to all my fellow ArmA 2 players,

As most of you have probably noticed the ACE mod has been released bringing us a wide array of new weapons, vehicles and ballistics.

This guide is mostly about these ballistics.
                        At 6th Sense (community with sickboy as our great leader ;) ) i realised that it would be useful for our new (and old) members to be able to shoot their weapons in a somewhat accurate way :p . That is why this guide has been written, it does not give you any gamey tricks on how to hit a target. All it does is explaining how those dots on that fancy scope of yours work. It also explains how to use new weapons such as the claymore. And how to use sight adjustment.
                        The 6th Sense Deadeye guide includes almost every infantry weapon available in the ACE mod and it keeps getting updated i am still planning to add static weapons and vehicle weapons.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mm1djygykxf

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...