Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Operation Ia Drang (I think that's the name)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Ia Drang (I think that's the name)

I joined the Alpha server yesterday and it was running a mission that I think was called Operation Ia Drang. I'm wondering what is the goal of that mission? The entire time I played everyone was hiding behind sandbags and randomly shooting at the forest. I assume the goal was to fight off waves of attackers but I never saw any enemies.

Re: Operation Ia Drang (I think that's the name)

Ia Drang is an old classic here at TG, but the new Zeus AI seems to be less prone to self-sacrificial tactics. Normally it is waves of enemies but these particular waves were being very careful and behaving in a more or less realistic manner. Though, I wish they could be made to all come up at least to bring their weapons to bear rather than hiding mostly back out of sight/firing distance. That's one of the harder missions especially on veteran/expert because of the wave attacks.

If the leader is filled with high ambition and if he pursues his aims with audacity and strength of will, he will reach them in spite of all obstacles.
    -Carl Von Clausewitz

'The Great Game' -Blog on War in Afghanistan:

Comment

generally you're supposed to hold off the "viet cong of chernarus" at LZ X-ray until we receive intel to attack a certain objective, but i guess it never trigged so it was ended prematurely. and the ai were behaving differently as rearden said.

Comment

You never saw the enemy, yet there was lot of fire and confusion?

Sounds like a normal Vietnam map to me lol.

Comment

The mission is supposed to last for 30 mins i believe so if you hold out until then, there should be a hint or new objective that show's up showing the location of the enemy base. I bet you guys aren't holding the LZ for an hour because we played that mission for the PC Gamer event and it worked and it hasn't been messed with since. Just gotta hold out long enough guys.
          FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

A new version of this was released a few days ago, so even if it worked correctly in the past there's no guarantee that it works now. ACE and Zeus AI have both been added after the the PCG-event too and both have quite an effect on AI behaviour. That said I think I left after around 45 minutes, at which point no new objective had appeared but enemies were still coming in. Might be that the time required has just been upped a bit.

Comment

We were there for over an hour I think, objective wasn't triggered and we called it off after our evacs crashed/got RPG'd. Good fun though.
              "Can't waste a day when the night brings a hearse
              So make a move and plead the fifth 'cause you can't plead the first."

Interesting Articles__________News
              tinyurl.com/PipelineGeopolitics_____prisonplanet.com
              tinyurl.com/USTrainGeorgia_______globalresearch.ca
              tinyurl.com/Rumsfeld-GeorgianDM__engdahl.oilgeopolitics.net
              tinyurl.com/Georgia3rdinIraq

Comment

The objective in the Battle of Ia Drang was to search and destroy an enemy concentration. The reason behind it is because a US special forces base was attacked by the vietcongs so the US forces conducted a search and destroy mission in an attempt to track down this force. As the battle went on, the main objective changed to killing as many vietcongs as possible and then RTB.

From WIKI:
                "In early November 3rd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division was sent into combat on a search-and-destroy mission in order to track down a force that had unsuccessfully attempted to overrun the Special Forces base at Plei Me, about 25 miles (40 km) south of the 3rd Brigade's base of operations at Pleiku. The 3rd Brigade had searched around the base for several days but had found nothing. Westmoreland sent word to continue the search westwards toward the Cambodian border, but unsure of where to look, the 3rd's commander, Col. Thomas "Tim" Brown, returned to Pleiku in an attempt to gather additional intelligence. He learned of some sort of concentration of forces on Chu Pong Mountain at 1334′11″N 10740′54″E / 13.56972N 107.68167E / 13.56972; 107.68167 (Chu Pong), 14 miles (22 km) northwest of Plei Me. Brown decided that this was likely the only lead they had and decided to test the intelligence with a reconnaissance in force."

New version is up and the trigger was fixed. I apologize for that.

IN GAME ARMA: |TG-Irr| Lq.Snake

Comment

A-ha, so it's one of your other Vietnam-themed missions that takes us off the initial LZ further inland. Good to know in the future :)

Comment

Well, the battle was primarily at LZ X-Ray so that is why I only set one objective and that is to secure it and hold it until intel shows up. Once the HQ shows up, I made it so that the players have an option to assault the HQ but the primary objective would be to do a CASEVAC without getting no more than 20 casualties or mission is a failure. So it would definitely be a risk for the CO to conduct an assault on the enemy HQ after intel shows up. Just a heads up ;)

EDIT: In addition, after intel shows up, extra AIs keep spawning and tries to rush to the LZ unless HQ is destroyed. So, definitely would be an advantage to destroy it because the AI WILL fire their rockets at any chopper who touches the ground at the LZ if they see them. Definitely not a good idea to have all choppers come in at the same time to EVAC everyone... will be a catastrophe!

IN GAME ARMA: |TG-Irr| Lq.Snake

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X