This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hd 5870

i was wondering if any of you are running this bad boy right now (HD 5870) and how it performs in game. If you all say go for it this will be a nice xmas present to myself.

Re: hd 5870

Do you have trackIR? I would say go for that than a new gfx card.
    |TG|Ghost02
    TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Yes. 1920x1080 Everything turned all the way up except the aa/af and post processing crap turned off. 1680 view distance but I still get the invisible trees at long range sniper shots so that has to be the game engine, havent pushed the view setting yet. It makes me giddy every time I play and remember how it was on my 8800gtx.

Avg 50+fps but still drops to -30fps at some points.
      The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse. EDMUND BURKE 1771

Comment

My 5850 maxes everything but AA out at 1152 horizontal.

Comment

thanx for the responses ill think about getting this

Comment

just ordered one off tiger direct along with a new 1000 watt psu. Cant wait to get it!

Comment

do you think that this is hurting Nvidia's stock??

i know that i got some money from santa and im looking to upgrade, to wither a new card or a new ssd drive. i have never baought an ATI card before, are they something like amd here i ned a different mobo to use one of these???

i have a xfx 760i mobo with a gts 250..... is it in my interest to wait tll march when the new nvidia cards come out or should i burn the money in my pockedt and go with an ati 5870

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

You can use a ATI card in your motherboard no problem in that, the PCI express interface is common to ATI and NVIDIA. But in your particular case you should go to a NVIDIA one, due to the fact that it supports SLI. You can have that 250 dedicated to physx and a newer only for the graphics.

Wait for the 300 series for nvidia to be released and make your choice then, that's my advice.
                sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

thanks for the quick reply.... i know that all of what bamboo has brought in with the reviews i knew that is what i wanted to do but i just wanted to make sure

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Bauer View Post
                    do you think that this is hurting Nvidia's stock??

i know that i got some money from santa and im looking to upgrade, to wither a new card or a new ssd drive. i have never baought an ATI card before, are they something like amd here i ned a different mobo to use one of these???

i have a xfx 760i mobo with a gts 250..... is it in my interest to wait tll march when the new nvidia cards come out or should i burn the money in my pockedt and go with an ati 5870
                    If you dont feel you really need it, then wait. For me, this was my first ATI in a long line of nvidia back to the ti4600. I had built a new rig and was happy with my 8800gtx untill I installed Arma2. My choice after that was what would give me the best bang for the buck right now and that was the 5870. Since the series is the only dx11 on the market I figure this will last me several years like the 8800gtx did.

However, I will say this is my 3rd 5870. First one sounded like a high voltage box that even xfx said wasnt right, the second had bad ram and while this one works great and was factory sealed, it had finger prints on it.
                    Originally posted by Jorge.PT View Post
                    You can use a ATI card in your motherboard no problem in that, the PCI express interface is common to ATI and NVIDIA. But in your particular case you should go to a NVIDIA one, due to the fact that it supports SLI. You can have that 250 dedicated to physx and a newer only for the graphics.

Wait for the 300 series for nvidia to be released and make your choice then, that's my advice.
                    Even though nvidia got greedy and officially stopped supporting ATI with nvidia physx in their drivers, it can still be done with "hacks". So you could rock the 5870 as the gpu and any nvidia as the ppu.
                    The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse. EDMUND BURKE 1771

Comment

yea i got a sli mobo not crossfire but i definitely wouldnt be burning the money for crossfire even if i could. Im a nvidia guy but even i know that the new series nvidia got planned is going to wayyyyyy more expensive that the 5870, and from what i hear the 5870 will run everything pretty much flawlessly so honestly what do i got to lose by getting it? anyway im impatient and with the little bit of extra money i have ima save for an ssd to put arma on.

Comment

I bought a twin for my 8800GTX on Ebay for a lucky price of $65 plus shipping. I already had a very strong power supply (which is critical when you have two large video cards). Two 8800gtx are about the equivalent to one 5770... which I can live with. It gave my old video card another year or more of life, kept my SLI motherboard in the game, and left me with some money for an SSD.

The 5870 looks ridiculously powerful though. Here's one of my favorite charts (it stays very up-to-date) for video card benchmarking, and there's also a searchable version in the dropdown list:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Comment

i got a 5870 vapor x from sapphire, and i run this game smooth like butter

can only get max 30% gpu load tho and every setting is maxed, so i guess my CPU is bottleneck atm (QX6700 intel)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X