Operation Venomous Strike

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [AAR] Operation Venomous Strike

Post your side of the story. What happened from your point of view? Everybody would have blast reading each others' experiences.
    Last edited by hedgehog; 10-06-2012, 07:49 PM.

Re: Operation Venomous Strike

in the air there was a few good encounters, but the enemy air assets seemed to be bugged during the second half of the mission, and didn't spawn/takeoff when they spawned.
    we only had two casualties during the whole operation.
    Yink | Vanilla Pilot | Killer of Stirling | CS GOD | Projects Team

Comment

Thanks to everyone who showed up. It could have gone better, but I think there was enough action for all.

Excellent job by B for controlling it all. It is extremely hard and taxing to control so many elements and keep good flow.

Originally posted by Yink View Post
      in the air there was a few good encounters, but the enemy air assets seemed to be bugged during the second half of the mission, and didn't spawn/takeoff when they spawned.
      we only had two casualties during the whole operation.
      That was by design, they were not all suppose to be in the air. They only really went active once we got within 1 click of the AO. And even then, they would take off one at a time for 40 minutes. Spread it out and not take overwhelm the players.

Was nice to hear air cover tho, sure made it feel safer.

Comment

I must say that this event although it had a rocky beginning it was one of the best I have attended. It was nice to play with those from other communities in a cooperative effort. When I was playing I imagined this is what it is like when units from different countries work together.

Although I have been playing ArmA 2 with TG for some time now being the RTO for Saber 2 was an experience in it's own right. As we moved through the different phases of the mission and their various objectives my ears were bombarded with dozens of transmissions. Although it was tough at some points I thoroughly enjoyed the role and the unique point of view it carried with it.

As for the mission everything from the Chinook insertion to the multiple objectives and of course the exciting CAS runs it was extremely good. My highlight and I sure for several others was the last minute victory. I loved tagging the SCUD with smoke and seeing it blown away by a Vulcan cannon 10 seconds later. :row__591:
        sigpic

Comment

From the command's point of view:

I already did most of my work before starting the game. All I had to do was follow through my plan and delegate. JoeDamage [ZA] was my XO and I gave him the responsibility of controlling the two platoons of infantry. Although I came up with the extremely general plan he is the one who led you into battle. As far as air goes, could not ask for more suited pilots. We did not even see any enemy jets because of Yink cleaning up the sky. Raven [ZA] was my RTO always following me and right next to. He was monitoring channel 4 (air) and channel 6 (ground). He must have had some serious headache after all that chatter.

I wanted to utilize the recce team more. But they disconnected after they got killed before witnessing the infantry and air reach them. If they rejoined they could have kept playing. If we had recce all the way through we could have avoided those surprise armor encounters.

Besides several SLs being no show and some key elements disconnecting or not being able to join at all, we compromised and made the event a quite successful one. Oh thanks to Joe and Sector for handling the crowd control during Phase 0. Something I dreaded.

From my point of view, I usually drove around in the Avenger behind the MESH unit with my RTO listening to radio chatter. A lot of down time for my part. Except the time we got ambushed and got blown up in Sosnovka.

Comment

2nd Platoon 3rd Squad (Mechanized Infantry) has been preparing for this operation since last week. Training sessions and battle drills were held to review/modify our SOPs for mech inf ops in ACE/ACRE. And as the SL of my unit, I wasnt even able to join due to battleye problems. I cannot describe how frustrating it is. ArmA is amazing when it works. But when it doesnt, it`s a nightmare.

I`m glad you guys enjoyed it. No matter what, this was a great event. Even the preparation and expectation parts were fun.

I`d like to thank Sector for the mission design, Commander B for his leadership and support. Big props to event organizers (Our GO Unkl and other names I dont know, forgive me on that) and all the participants.

Members of the 2nd Platoon 3rd Squad (Finestyle, Coridon, Grunt, LZ_Baker, Wicks, Bolagnaise); I am sorry for this. I wish I had provided the briefing document and other notes to 2iC days before the op. I was hoping to provide a very tactical and fun experience for you guys. Well, maybe next time.
            I`m sure you have performed great. Proud of you guys.

Looking forward to the next Combined Arms Operation. I know how much work and energy go into the organization of such big events so here is what I`ll offer. Include all leadership (CO, XO, Unit Commanders, PLs, SLs) in the event organization and delegate the tasks. If we all put just a little bit of effort into this, we can have such epic events more often and smooth. I`m ready to give a hand.

Suggestion: Add links to op info and signup in the first post of this thread for a complete report.

Comment

Posted some screenies I got here: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...ml#post1748720

They aint great but they're okay. Had a great time anyway once we'd ironed out all the TeamSpeak issues.

"If you're going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Was a great fun event even though saber 1-2 had some issues with leadership due to some no showups but our FTL Ranger that did show up did a great job with getting the remainder of the squad back in one piece by taking over the squad lead.
                Was cool having the Air support constantly patrolling over our heads, definetly added a cool touch to the ambience of the warzone :).
                sigpic|TG-6th|ghadlan
                [unit][armor]

Sure I have flown plenty of choppers, I have just never landed one.

Comment

Hi,

I thought I'd just add a small AAR. Firstly, thanks to everyone from all the groups, particularly the organisers and B for the organisation and for giving me the opportunity to command the infantry contingent. I've never commanded so many at once, so it was quite an experience. Everyone from our group (Zulu Alpha) had a good time. It was really awesome to see you guys operate so smoothly. Unfortunately my connection reset itself a couple of times after we reached Sosnovka, so I was unable to rejoin.

After getting the all clear from the recce team, we choppered into the LZ and 1st and 2nd platoon quickly organised and stood by to move off. At about this time Saber 6, Liberty and Steele 1 in a Bradley arrived at the LZ as well. I issued first objectives and we moved off, with Steele 1 in support. 1st Platoon moved along a dirt road into the forest, while 2nd platoon made for a nearby hill, standing by to move into an overwatch position over Myshinko. I moved with 1st Platoon and as we reached the first T-junction, we heard sporadic gunfire from the South West. We couldn't identify who was being shot at, but assumed it was the recce team. We radioed for clarification but we didn't get an immediate response and at the same time found that 2nd Platoon had reached their initial objective. 1st Platoon began moving East, behind a row of trees to link up with 2nd Platoon and prepare for the assault on the target area.

When we reached 2nd Platoon, we found them positoned along the treeline, overlooking Myshinko. One or two contact reports of small groups of infantry had been made by 2nd Platoon by this time. I'm not sure who it was at this stage, but I think 1st Platoon made contact with the VIP, and they moved down the hill, into Myshinko to retrieve him. I believe they met some resistance in the town. I ordered 2nd Platoon to move further down the slope to get a better overwatch position, and at the same time, Steele 1 offered to move forward. Steele 1 moved down the slope behind some of the elements of 2nd Platoon. I moved down with them, and we came under sporadic smallarms and MG fire from the South, on the outskirts of the town, in the forest. Steele 1 proceeded to engage and our infantry elements moved back up the slope into the treeline. I believe we took one or two wounded at this stage.

We could hear the battle raging in the town, and the A10s came in for one or two gun runs at, no doubt, Danger Close, and we called them off for fear of Blue on Blue. 1st Platoon went on the hunt for the VIP and encountered several patrols. On finding the VIP, Steele 1 moved down into the town to retrieve him. At this stage, its a little unclear to me what was going on, but I believe 1st Platoon came under heavy contact and recieved a number of casualties. Liberty was called in to help with the casualties. I recieved orders to pull out of the town as soon as possible and stand by for a bombing run to "flatten the town". Once the situation stabilised, Steele 1 started moving back towards us in the treeline, and we watched as a rocket exploded in their vicinity. On their own initiative, and element of 2nd Platoon pushed down the hill in an attempt to eliminate the enemy force firing on Steele 1. As this element was making their way down, 1st Platoon, Liberty and Steele were making their way up the slope to the treeline. The 2nd Platoon ran into a fierce contact, threw smoke and began withdrawing back up the hill wth at least one casualty. At this stage, the A10s did multiple runs on the town, dropping their ordanance on target and eliminating the remaing forces, as far as we could tell.

After a brief chance to attend to casualties, and to talk to the VIP, both platoons moved further West, to a point where a dirt road began, just inside the treeline of the forest. At this stage, some contact reports were made of an armed element across the valley, on the road East of Myshinko. Steele 1 pulled up into their holding position behind the infantry element. I ordered 1st Platoon to move South, down the slope, across two roads and up the opposite valley slope to Objective Rally Point 3, on the lee side of a hill overlooking Sosnovka. Just as they pulled out, I heard a whoosh and an explosion. I turned to see Steele 1 having just recieved a hit by a rocket. 2nd Platoon immediately began medical procedures, and we called in Liberty to assist. At this stage there was a fairly long pause, while we waited for the casualties to be attended to.

1st Platoon, in the meanwhile, had positioned themselves at ORP 3 and was waiting for us. Once 2nd Platoon got moving again, we moved up to ORP 3 and I ordered 1st Platoon to establish overwatch on Sosnovka. As 2nd Platoon was about to crest the hill behind 1st Platoon, we heard that an element of 1st Platoon had come under heavy fire. An A10 was called in and did several gun runs on the enemy position and the firing stopped. At this point 2nd Platoon was cresting the hill and I ordered them into Sosnovka. Almost simulteaneously, a BTR came trundling down the road from the North. After a few seconds of surprise, the BTR was destroyed. Both platoons were a bit strung out, with several casualties and needed to regroup, so we regrouped on the outskirts of Sosnovka, around a secured property. The MASH unit arrived and casualties were processed. Once regrouped, 2nd Platoon moved down into the town and cleared the rest of it.

At this stage, my connection died, so I was unable to rejoin.

Disclaimer: Some of the above might be inaccurate... I'm just going on what I remember, as I wasn't taking notes at the time.

Comment

...meanwhile, down near the southern AO, 4+ hours into mission...

"6, 2-1."
                    "Go for 6."
                    "2-1 -- did they say ther were about to end the mission?"
                    "6 -- affirm. Banzai!"
                    "2-1 -- Wilco, Banzai!"

"Banzaiiiiiiiiiiiiii!"

LOL
                    sigpic
                    I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

I've been holding off on putting down my AAR for a week now, but here goes.

First off, it was amazing having that many people coming together to play this mission. It was one of the best TG experiences I've had to date - both from the amount of action my team and I got to see, but also in the level of coordination of all of the elements. This was by far the largest event I've attended and, although I had some doubts as to how smoothly it would be commanded, command did an absolutely outstanding job in keeping the unit rolling... until the end (more on that later).

I was FTL1 in Saber 2-1, with Riyker as my SL. Obviously the startup period of the mission was pretty hairy, so I won't go into that, or when I was accidentally shot in the head whilst kitting up at the ammo boxes. Yes! I was the first casualty in the game. Not a very good sign of luck, I'd say.

Anyway, Saber 2 acted as overwatch and rearguard as Saber 1 entered the town of Myshkino. From our not-very good vantage point on the hill (we couldn't see over the rise of the hill very well, we had a decent vantage point to watch the A-10 and F-35 provide us with some interesting fireworks and cool flybys. Things got more interesting when the Bradley made its way into the town and started shooting, and when Saber 1 pulled back with the VIP, as enemy infantry actually followed them back to our position, although further West of our position. I called contact and directed Saber 2-1 to direct fire into the enemy, and they were done with very quickly.

On our way to the next Objective, we parked the Bradley on a hill and were held up waiting for some time. I had just departed with my fireteam to setup a perimeter, when I heard a very loud explosion just a dozen meters away! The Bradley had taken a direct AT hit. Unfortunately, we had about 6 casualties; I'm not sure if they were all from Saber 2-1, or if the Bradley's crew were wounded also. What we never found out is who shot us; after spending some 10 minutes patrolling around our position and not finding a trace of anyone, we were called back to continue onto the next Objective.

Thats when things started to get nasty. We descended the hill into the village of... I'm not sure, was it Sosnovka? I did feel that through most of the mission, I was just following orders - although not disorienting, I wasn't really as acquainted as I normally am with the objectives and the terrain - this part of Chernarus is kind of unknown to me. Anyways, after clearing out a few initial contacts, my team had just crossed the main MSR into town when a BTR came rolling right down the road and parked itself about 15 meters away from us. Diving for cover, it started tracking my squad members with its turret. I had no idea where our AT guy was. Desperate, I switched to my 203 and proceeded to pop an HE round into its rear - I figured its armor would be thinner in that part - and was rewarded, of course, with a dull 'thud' as it hit squarely in the rear. My memory is a bit hazy, but I believe that our squad then scattered, I popped a few smoke, and someone finally hit it with an AT round.

Unfortunately, I also had wounded myself and my squad leader, Riyker, who went down. I had completely misjudged the range of the fragmentation system ACE had added to the 203 launcher. It took some time to get the squad regrouped and patched up before we continued to clear the rest of the village; I don't think there were that many enemy infantry present.

After regrouping and rearming at the South end of the village, this is when things really went south. Saber 2-1 was ordered to the south to the top of a hill which overlooked the final objective town. Right when we got to the top, all hell broke loose. We saw tracers firing at what seemed like every other squad and friendly position - except us. A few moments later, the Bradley took a final hit and exploded. I really had no idea what was happening at this point - I couldn't see any enemy units, just red and green tracers flying all over my screen.

What happened next was what I believe to be where our mission just fell apart, particularly from the tactical side. Saber 2-1 was ordered to bum-rush a tiny shack right next to the road, right in between Sosnovka and the main objective. We drew some fire on the way down, but no casualties, but once we got there, we realized that it was in the bottom of a hill - basically a hollow. The barn we were ordered to defend had wooden walls that you could peer and easily shoot through, which gave us no cover. Although we were supposed to act as some sort of ambush point against vehicles coming up from the South, not only were we out of AT weapons, but we were taking fire from 270 degrees. Enemies to the East were high up in teh forest and shooting right over our roof; if they got to the edge of the hollow, we would be sitting ducks. So I positioned my fireteam to the Northern side of the barn, outside, and put some suppressive fire to the NE, to help stop any enemy advancement - and hopefully put pressure on them to stop their shooting at command actual in the village. Not sure if it helped, however. =\

A few minutes later, Riyker called me to warn of a Vodnik that was approaching. It parked itself about 10 meters out the door on the opposite side of the barn (to the side), so everyone hit the deck. Peering around the corner, it didn't seem to engage us. We were kind of out of options at this point, lacking any AT, and I was starting to contemplate using the 203 again, when a grenade went off right in front of the Vodnik. I think all of us took hits from the shrapnel. And then another grenade. And another. Some 8-10 frags went off on the Vodnik, possibly damaging it, but took out our entire squad. Somehow a medic showed up and patched 2 or 3 of us back together with band-aids and tourniquets. I think Riyker was able to get back up. I think the rest of Saber 2-1 had been killed by friendly frags at that point.

Anyway, we then banzai-rushed the objective, and I almost made it to the SCUD, but was killed by a T-72 after smoke-spamming the town. Hopefully it helped, lol.

===========

All in all, a very fun mission. Quite long - but I've been in longer (Neptune). I would like to say again that everyone in a command position, particularly ThirdSin, DeF, B, JoeDamage (and everyone else), did an outstanding job in keeping everything coordinated.

That being said, I think there is some room for improvement. Starting with - I think that we really need to practice our close-in AT, grenade, and 203 skills. Maybe even rethink mission loadouts - a SMAW may have been a better choice than an AT4. And I know that I need to practice with 203's more.

However, I think our biggest weakness in the mission was losing our recon element (this crippled things to such a huge degree, I don't think it can be overstated) - we probably needed 2 recon teams - but also our tactical flexibility. Things just really seemed to fall apart at the end. Perhaps it was fatigue. Perhaps it was lack of experience of a lot of our players - not to mention brining 3 different communities together, and a lot of individuals that may have not played together before. But I really think that the ending could have gone down a much different path if different tactics had been employed. I was really surprised that our airpower was not employed when it would have made such a huge difference.

I wish I could dissect the ending more, but from my rather limited vantage point of the inside of a barn being riddled with bullets like swiss cheese, I don't have a lot to offer. :P

Still, I really enjoyed the mission. It makes it hard to go back and play normal Domi or Patrol Ops - they really aren't nearly as satisfying!

Hope everyone enjoyed this. Tried to keep it honest and informative.
                      "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
                      -Einstein

Comment

I am gonna address the controversial banzai rush. As high command I only had contact with the Platoon RTOs. By the end of it I received transmission that said "There is just too much desync, unplayable." I consulted with the mission maker and made the decision to call mission. At that point we were well into 4 hours and some. In order to take Zelengorsk tactically we had to at least spend an hour or more. So after receiving complaint of desync I called the mission. In which after the RTO told me the desync is gone and they can bum rush the town now...

That is why we bum rushed the last objective. Surprisingly from my point of view the rush was successful. The SCUD was taken out by A-10 gattling gun with an RTO tagging the target with smoke grenade. The VIP picked up a weapon and was escorted to his laptop. So both objectives were complete.

Comment

Yeah, it was actually a fitting end for the mission. Was actually fun and worked! I was critiquing the part right before the banzai rush.
                          "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
                          -Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by zilfondel View Post
                            I've been holding off on putting down my AAR for a week now, but here goes.
                            Zilf, kudos for writing this. I was started to write one from Sabre 2-1 perspective but then it turned into a diatribe that reiterated many of the previous posts so I just shortened it to highlight our Bonzai moment. :) Thanks again.
                            ... Bradley had taken a direct AT hit ... after spending some 10 minutes patrolling around our position and not finding a trace of anyone, we were called back to continue onto the next Objective.
                            Actaully we did find the shooter -- a single guy of to the East right outside of the area patrol I put you in. Someone spotted the contact and called me over to observe with my ACOG -- I confirmed it was enemy AT and destroyed him promptly. I don't think you heard that status update with all the comotion; but you would have spotted him once you rounded outside that tree line your were in at the time I'm sure.

After regrouping and rearming at the South end of the village, this is when things really went south. Saber 2-1 was ordered to the south to the top of a hill which overlooked the final objective town ... Saber 2-1 was ordered to bum-rush a tiny shack right next to the road...
                            We originally went up that hill SW to investigate an enemy patrol (spotted by 2nd squad I believe). Since we never made contact, we deduced they must have headed down into the town. PL sent new orders, saying command wanted us in that barn (yuck) as our ORP for insertion into the final AO, but when SHTF as you noted, well... you detailed the rest for susinctly. :)

I think all of us took hits from the shrapnel ... the rest of Saber 2-1 had been killed by friendly frags at that point.
                            Unforunate, indeed. We had friendlies up the hill across the pond to our East (in fact we passed them enroute to the barn). Splash damage sucks. :)

One other disadvantage we had by this time was that 2nd Platoon had lost both 2nd and 3rd squads (ZA all disconnected and 3rd was reassigned elsewhere -- but ThirdSin may have more info on this) so we were all alone by Bonzai time.

Anyway ... thanks again.
                            sigpic
                            I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X