BRAVO ArmA2: Hammer & Sickle - Jan 12 19:00

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [AAR] BRAVO ArmA2: Hammer & Sickle - Jan 12 19:00

Please post your AAR'S here for the TVT event.

Include your thoughts on what can be improved, what was great, and what should stay the same.
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Re: BRAVO ArmA2: Hammer & Sickle - Jan 12 19:00

Im was killed/kicked by Arma's crashes and glitches at 1st second but Ive spend a best time for several mounth at Bravo! :)

Comment

There is some stuff that I want to do to the mission, but, for the first time, this was awsome! Thank you so much to everyone that joined us!!!!
      sigpic

Comment

Perspective: Russian Medic assigned to Sickle 1.

General plan:
        The mission started and OPFOR force was split into two elements. One would move just south of the target missile, cover south east/west and overlook the airfield, while the other element moved 300 meters west to a nearby hilltop and protected the north, east, and west.

My experience:
        I was assigned to the element covering south, so I crawled around south of the missile, careful to keep some bushes or trees nearby and slowly scanning the horizon line south of the airfield. Every once and I while I would sweep my head and glance east or west, or maybe look more at the foreground of the airfield.
        Chichco disconnected early on, and he had been slotted as FTL, so this was a serious loss. Periodically throughout the game people disconnected because of some technical glitch.

I was a bit disoriented because my HUD showed only Liquid (the Commander), the other medic, and myself. So the team I was more or less “attached” to did not show up. It made it difficult to identify which sectors were being covered by whom, and I never did feel secure that my flanks were covered. Everyone stayed prone and still, moving as little as possible, and I had trouble locating my friendlies to determine where I should be covering.

Communications were sometimes a bit disjointed, but D3viant, (squad lead), SmokinJoe, and Sterling (FTLs) kept it going. We sat that way for 30 or 40 minutes. Then the other fire team, (sickle 2, led by SmokinJoe) took fire. It all happened right as I got a phone call, and by the time I got back I was alone on the south side listening to gunfire. I had heard an order to move west while I was on the phone. I was unsure which way to go; our base was north, but the last radio I recalled said go west. Which was logical, given our friendlies were taking fire to our west… I decided to be cautious since I was the medic and try the base, even though the gunfire sounded like it was coming from there. It had good fortifications, even in a firefight. But I had been gone a while, and could not be certain it was still in friendly control. It was unnerving approaching my own base and not being sure what I would find. I had my gun ready to shoot. I found it (mercifully) occupied by Sickle 1. Turns out Sickle 1 had rapidly moved north into the missile base and put fire down to try to cover Sickle 2’s extraction while I had been away. Not sure what happened to the order to move west. Maybe I heard wrong.

I had my first casualty, smoking joe was lying bleeding on the ground. Don’t know how the extracted him the ~300 meters from their OP west of us to the main base, but we got him fixed up quick. Found out we had a KIA on that western hillside; Yink. Nothing I could do about that. I then took up position covering east of the main base. I held that position for an hour or so. No real excitement besides almost blowing away a friendly who I saw rustling in the bushes. After a while I switches places with someone else because both medics (myself and Crazi) were both on the north east corner of the base. I figured it was a bad idea to concentrate that resource, so I got myself a position on the south east side instead, 100 meters or so from the other medic. The grass slopped down steeply in my sector, which meant I could see well for 50 meters, but after that the drop made a natural defilade which could have hidden a whole squad. Liquid, showing personal bravery or madness, went alone to scout the hill to our west where Sickle 2 had engaged the enemy some 20 minutes hence. Finding nothing, he returned to base, and we surmised the attack would not from the west, but the East, South, or North. I was tense, thinking that were I the attackers, I would choose my sector, the south east to attack. Although boredom did eat away at my alertness after 30 minutes or so. We began to joke that the enemy was attacking us with a pyschological weapon; boredom. One man suggested (joking) that we surrender because of its devistating effect on our morale. Crazi reminded everyone to stay vigilant.

After numerous false alarms and almost friendly fires, there was a contact report, I believe from D3viant. He had spotted 3X enemies crawling up slowly on the north side of the base. The order was given for people to get into position to engage north without giving away that the element of surprise was lost.
        I started to move to the north side, but thought better of it and stayed back. The report was 3X, where was the rest? They could be flanking to the south! I held my position.

Then came the report that it was not X3, it was most of the enemy force, X6 or more. As I began to start moving north, the rain of grenades began.

They came one after the other, after the other. Some hand thrown, some rifle shot. They landed all around the compound, and people began calling out “man down” or “im hit!” on the northern line. The enemy was accurate, and even managed to wound me. I stopped to heal myself, wondering why in the world I stopped in the middle of a rain of grenades to bandage my wounds. I realized a moment later why I stopped here, in an unprotected place; there was no better place in the area. Everywhere was equally likely to get you killed. With this comforting thought in mind I finished tending to myself and completed my shift north.

The grenades did not come in one hail, but in a “drip, drip, drip” sort of ongoing slow barrage. It was unnerving, I wondered how many they could possibly have left. Upon reaching the northern wall I found an unconscious man which I dragged back a bit and set to treating. When that was done, I dared peek my head above the earthen ramparts to the north. I saw Liquid, prone behind a small bunker some 50 meters from the wall, and looking very much like a man alone and beyond our help. Might as well have been the moon for the chances of me getting to him if he went down. But talk about leading from the front! Bullets whizzing over his head in both directions, he was certainly in the thick of it.

We started to take KIAs. Friendlies were calling contact locations and calling for grenades to be thown on the enemy. They were still prone on the gradual decline north of our base. There were low walls and natural ditches that gave them surprisingly effective cover. Soon someone (I don’t know if the enemy did or we did) deployed smoke, and the wind blew it east, making a wall of concealment going West to east across our northern front. Bursts of gunfire continued at regular intervals, but unlike computer opponents, everyone was playing for keeps, and no one exposed themselves for long. I eventually setup a CCP between some radio equipment and some crates, and tended to several injured. It seemed like no one was unscathed, but with some treatment I was able to get everyone who was still alive able to walk. Bursts of gunfire were being exchanged now with less frequency, as it appeared both sides were expending themselves. About this time Liquid went down, and despite some searching I could not locate the body. He had some how crawled out of his previous cover before being hit, to who knows where. Around now I saw what I thought was a prone man hidden in some bushes, I shot at him quickly, but without stopping to see if my rounds had any effect, only ducking back into cover quickly.

I became uneasy; we were down to just a few survivors, and most had trouble aiming. We are weak, and I believe in the heat of the battle, and the stress of the grenades, we have lost any semblance of coordinated 360 coverage. We are ripe to be flanked. One friendly spots and kills a sneaky infiltrator who had crawled slowly around our lines, using the ramparts that shielded us as concealment, until he could breach our defenses on our eastern side, enter our base through an unguarded opening, and come up behind our troops who were busy shooting north. I believe he killed one before he was spotted, and I think only luck prevented him from getting more. Around now Smokin Joe was calling for anyone left with grenades to throw them north, but no one was responding, likely because they had none left.

I began poping my head up on the northern firing line, and the fifth or sixth time I spotted a hostile standing right behind the northern bunker (50 meters from our defenses) that had shielded Liquid earlier. He was using it much the same way, but against us. I panicked and it took me 2 or 3 “pop up and shoot” attempts before I got him. Twenty seconds later, we were informed BLUEFOR was dead, and the mission was a success.

We were but a few survivors on OPFOR, and all of us wounded. It had been an even match.
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those are my recollections of Hammer and Sickle.

Good game to everyone who participated. I had a lot of fun!

I cannot wait to read YOUR AARs, especially a detailed one from BLUFOR. What did the battle feel like to you?
        Last edited by Garthra; 01-14-2013, 10:46 AM.
        The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

PS .

Let's get some ribbon nominations out of this.
          sigpic

Former Pathfinder
          Former ARMA Admin
          Former ARMA TGU instructor
          Former TGU Headmaster
          Current Noob
          Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Context: my first AAR and my first serious TVT. Was slotted in off the bench. Thanks to the no shows....you missed a good one.

THE GOOD:

- great turnout, high level of enthusiasm
            - Blufor well led on the ground by Granbo and Bola and the SLs and FTLs
            - instructions from Bola on laying own covering fire and panic rounds a whole new thing to me
            - lots of suspense in the build up to the assault on the camp
            - communications held up well
            - weapon choices seemed fair across teams
            - scouts effective
            - I think I was the only one to make it into Opfor's camp - last Blufor standing?

THE SO-SOs

- progress checked badly when enemy scouts encountered on Hill 56; eventual swing to the NW took a LONG time
            - probably could have used numerical superiority to move faster - at risk of greater losses
            - rules of TVT (I think) encourage a suicide approach - as long as the target is taken down and even one survives - we win
            - no time pressure to force decision making and risk taking (related to three comments above)

IMPROVEMENTS?
            - rules to either speed up action (time limits? better intel up front?) or put emphasis on survival depending on choice
            - add secondary missions/targets to add interest and make tactics trickier and potentially multiply action areas

Overall a GREAT first go round! Will sign up for the next one.

Cheers!

Biggs
            sigpic

Canadjun, eh?

Comment

Jak,

Great turn out and a real nail-biter at the end! Here are some ideas for tweaking it if you desire:
              1 - Add some respawns for each player 2-3 max. and a mechanism for them to get back into the action. If players have this, they might be willing to be a little more courageous.
              2 - A little later in day...like dusk possibly? Perhaps night with a full moon? Leader's would need NVG's.
              3 - A time restriction for BLUFOR...for example, at a certain time the SCUD will be launched by remaining OPFOR.

These are just ideas. I'm sure there are better ones but of course balance is key. Looking forward to your next one.

D3V
              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...