Thursday Oct 17 - Escape from Altis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thursday Oct 17 - Escape from Altis

Just wanted to pop in and talk about an excellent mission I played on the server last night.

I joined on an empty server about 8 p.m. and started "Escape from Altis", primarily because it had AI available and I was alone. I had played the sister mission "Escape from Stratis" once or twice and had failed miserably each time. I thought it would be good to give the Altis version a go.

The mission randomly places your squad on Altis and you must move to a strategic location in order to secure a means of transport off the island. Enemy presence is strong and infantry and mechanized infantry patrol heavily throughout the island. Locations where transport may be found are also heavily guarded by similar forces.

My intent was to avoid contact where possible. Prolonged firefights would bring enemy reinforcements and our force was too small to win a large engagement. We found ourselves on the coast just North of the Almyra Salt Flats somewhere around midnight. I moved the squad up the coast about 800 meters then struck inland in search of a suitable transport vehicle. Moving carefully we moved NNW through the rolling hills South of Sofia stopping every three or four hundred meters to assess the route in front of us. We stole a vehicle from an abandoned factory and used it to shuttle troops NW but abandoned it shortly after as it presented more risk than reward. Continuing NW we avoided one patrol but was ambushed by another at one of our observation points. Fortunately the squad was on a 360 degree alert while stopped and was ready for engagement. We defeated the ambush with no casualties but there were some tense moments in the dark as tracers flew in all directions.

Continuing NW cross country we spotted and avoided a number of enemy patrols before reaching the coast at Galena Nera Bay. Our objective was the airfield West of Molos where we suspected the enemy had suitable air transport for hijack. After a careful approach along the coast we moved to an observation point to gather intel on the airfield. Sure enough there was an enemy transport at the airfield but it was guarded by a full infantry squad and two light armored Ifrits with mounted weapons.

The squad moved close to the airfield concealing itself in a heavily wooded ditch and deployed in a line formation in preparation for engaging the enemy. We split into two groups and waited for the AT to engage the vehicles. AT engaged the vehicles, destroying the first but missing the second as he withdrew to the North and repositioned. I ordered all troops forward. We engaged the infantry without casualty but the AT man was killed by grenade fire (twice) from the remaining vehicle. Eventually the second vehicle was taken down and we loaded into the enemy chopper and escaped Altis successfully, racing Northward to safety and to fight another day.

The mission was great fun and kudos to those who joined in during progress. By the time we finished we had 7 or 8 live players including B, Have a Nice Day, Delta and a handful of others that I'm sorry to say I can't remember. Please forgive me fellows but if you are a reading this now join in and identify yourselves and again my apologies that my memory serves me so poorly.

It was a simple mission, avoid contact and attempt an escape. I love the big combined arms operations but for me this kind of mission is one of the reasons ARMA remains my go to game since 2005. It came together on the fly and spontaneously. Highlighted by small unit action featuring top notch soldiers employing sound tactics. It's not so much about the number of enemy killed or if we are victorious but more about successful and dynamic interaction amongst players. I had been playing a little bit of the BF4 beta and had a chuckle with B about the differences between the two games. Night and day right? I like the Battlefield series, it's what brought me to TG and the title that forged the 1st MIP so it will always be a favorite. But for immersion and overall satisfaction for myself-- ARMA can't be beat.
    Last edited by Grunt 70; 10-18-2013, 04:27 PM.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Re: Thursday Oct 17 - Escape from Altis

Great times we had on that mission and the next few last night. Few new faces experienced the TG way.

Comment

Grunt, I'm up for that mission with you any time - even the "avoid all contact" version . . . sounds like an adrenaline rush of cat and mouse.

Let's fill out the squad and make it happen.

MSS

Comment

I wish I could have been there, playing at 2 am is hard to accomplish these Days

at least I did end up playing that FIA mission in the very end of the (your) eve, I was happy to see around 6 people at one point that played for the very first time in TG... It would be interesting to see that the other parts of my day, it was great fun, GG
        - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Comment

Xor . . . . just so happens some of that FIA mission was "recorded" . . . working on some cliff note versions (where I'm not dying in the chopper) and I'll post when it's done. And yes the new guys (once some of them finally got sorted out) were nice to see and seemed to work with the team very nicely.

Good stuff . . . . .

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X