Eastern Towns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [AAR] Eastern Towns

Well it was a hard one fight the second go around. I was flying Airwolf 2 (Humming Bird) and began by flying recon into the AO and proposed landing zones, after returning from the recon a slight change was made and we prepped for the assault. I took off and began to head to the AO when Boom the chopper went down. Not barring this we proceeded with the lift operations. I flew in the first team and gave them instructions to secure the LZ, left and returned with the full force. Following that I delivered ammo to the primary lz and went shopping. :row1_7: Returning home I sat down and hopped in the right seat Rudolf now flying to drop off Vilky, this was great until we both were incapacitated and then flew a lap around the battlefield with no control over the chopper!!. No this being said we came in again and prepped for combat, Rudolf took command and I landed him and Liquid at the Forward headquarters and returned to the primary lz to deliver much needed ammunition.

Re: Eastern Towns

Well what an encouraging mission that was. We had some technical problems with the Revive and the vehicles where pilots would lose all control over A3 on being killed in the vehicle. We had some issues with getting to the objective as the random patrols just kept coming in. It was tough to deal with players joining with no Task Force Radio so we ended up locking the server and kicking those who didn't have the mod.

However, there is one big lesson to learn from this mission. As regular squad members you have a large effect on how effective your leader and therefor your team can be....just by how you talk on direct. We had some chatty Kathys in a few of the teams and honestly I had a hard time communicating with the squad leader as platoon leader because he had all of his attention taken up. If your in a fireteam, help your leader by keeping your coms brief. There is a time and a place for side discussions and a time and a place to zip up and stick to the task at hand.

That seems to be a learning curve for using a new communication tool in one of our missions. There were bugs and honestly the 200m radius to clear in the town at the first objective was just too much for a 8 man team to accomplish with counter attacks and random patrols coming in. However, it was great team work.

As platoon leader I'd say one more thing about moving as combined forces. My decision was to move the infantry ahead of the marshall that was providing support. This was based on the terrain we would be covering. I wanted infantry in front as 9 guys covering 200 degrees is pretty easy and they can get into position without drawing attention. The marshall ended up moving up ahead behind the crest of a ridge and was ill equipped to cover their close flank and could only provide overwatch to the E-SE (the NE was known). What would have prevented these movements?

Communication. Provide your higher with a Sitrep. Situational Report. It outlines your current position, contact/sighting information, current status of health and equipment for your team, your intent (what you will do next) and any special requests you have for command (equipment, request authorization for fire support, ect...).

Send a SITREP before you change any tactic, when your situation changes, when you have reached a waypoint or objective. TGU will be doing a drill this week regarding sitreps for leaders.

All in all, it was a fun mission and it was a tough mission seeing as we didn't get the mission to unlock our next objectives. That had more to do with the parameters and number of players we had. It was a good test of some of the Anvil Editor parameters I'd used to create the mission and we had fun along the way. Thanks to all who joined and showed such great patience and discipline.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Originally posted by Unkl View Post
      As platoon leader I'd say one more thing about moving as combined forces. My decision was to move the infantry ahead of the marshall that was providing support. This was based on the terrain we would be covering. I wanted infantry in front as 9 guys covering 200 degrees is pretty easy and they can get into position without drawing attention. The marshall ended up moving up ahead behind the crest of a ridge and was ill equipped to cover their close flank and could only provide overwatch to the E-SE (the NE was known). What would have prevented these movements?
      Just throwing this out there boss.

http://defense-update.com/features/d...rban-armor.htm

"Ok....smoke sometimes works."

Comment

Great link. Thanks Experiment...will read that in full asap. Also, I should have qualified my statement above to relating to movements from HLZ Red up to the point that we had infantry safely into cover in the town. I would then want to get the APC off the hill asap.
        |TG-189th| Unkl
        ArmA 3 Game Officer
        Dean of Tactical Gamer University
        189th Infantry Brigade Member
        SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
        "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

After Action Full Mission Report

Mission “Eastern Towns"

First Town

CO / PO - Unkl
          Squad Lead - MadSoloSniper
          Alpha One
          FTL - Ramna
          FTL - Craig Holmes (lost in battle)

Mission report by:
          MadSoloSniper – Squad Lead – Alpha One

SL Comments on the mission:

Mission over all – Always good stuff on the TG servers and this Sunday was no different. Good team work, good comms for the most part (more on that below) and good cover clearing and sector management by the ground team. We had random patrols coming in from every direction – even after clearing an area – and the 360 coverage held. Occasionally we were somewhat surprised when they were so “on us” from a direction we had just come from, but the teams did well covering and we weren’t surprised or taken down by any of those randoms in the course of the mission.

After our first deploy got us about 200M out (as our chopper blew up) . . . we rallied back pretty handily (lost a few to lack of patience perhaps) and were back on our way. A hot LZ and a good dose of overpowering odds had us back at base gearing up again. Now with the Marshall in the field ahead of our next approach to the HLZ and one of the fire teams securing the HLZ for the arrival of the remaining teams we were on our way to the objective.

The Marshall seemed to be moving ahead of us regularly (though I thought that command had indicated that we were to move and they were to follow) so I assumed they were under separate orders, but will chalk that one up to some comms issues between the Marshall and this SL; between vehicle and ground radio (We’ll get it fixed in short order). We made it to the comfort of the town and some impending CQB and proceeded to clear buildings around the mark.

Cleared buildings, made some new friends (with the business end of our assault rifles) and cleared a full circle around the mark. Back out again to clear more and with some random patrols moving in we moved north, cleared and then moved to the south side of the town to finish our clearing when the mission ended. Tough at best for the 8ish man squad we ended up as, but in all we did well, moved well, cleared well, and responded to new orders and movement with a good dose of precision and professionalism.

Testing of the new radio was promising and the tool could be a welcome addition to the field once we are up to speed on it.

I know we had some issues with the Marshall so our movements with the support vehicle were not as fluid as they could have been. With any new tool will come new “work arounds” as well and we need to consider how we handle such an issue when “radios break”. Good stuff for the Admin team and commanders to noodle on and come up with solutions (I have a few of my own already simmering for consideration in light of Sunday's testing).

The Good – Good team work, awesome TLs handling their squads and moving as a coordinated unit (with some minor exceptions). The teams worked well, we covered each other and helped each other out in the field well. I thought the clearing of the buildings was our finest yet with movement on both sides of the street clearing buildings and cover on the street during the whole of the action . . .well done. Our “clear area” was larger than we could handle and by the time we got around the full circle it was apparent that we needed to be 2+ blocks from the marker to fully clear what needed clearing. Back out again we went and cleared north and then were moving to south when we got to “mission completion”.

Thank you to all of Alpha company, proud to server and proud to command anytime in the field. . . You all are the best.

The Bad – We need to work on comms. With the testing of a new tool comes a great deal of strength in the ability to communicate, but also with that comes a great deal (need) of restraint as to WHEN we communicate and how much.

Direct in that new world is awesome and would gives us the ability to talk in direct with greater efficiency without bothering command (or TL or SL) with the small things, but during the test I think some of the team were on “YELL” with their comms when they should have been in “WHISPER” or even better . . . NOT talking at all.

I’ll be the first one to note that this is all in fun, but when we’re on the ground and in the field we need to keep comms (even direct chat) to a minimum. If you don’t have something related to contacts, cover, SITREP or other “in game” to contribute, keep it to a minimum. As SL I had everything from Command, other TL’s and when comms WAS working with the Marahall all of that coming in from all of them . . . . as well as a good dose of our team chatting on about this and that.

All good stuff, but if you want to “catch up” with your friends remember the TS server has LOTS of channels that are open 24/7 when we are NOT in game. . . take time and catch up then, not when we’re trying to clear a town of EI that relentlessly seems to come in from every angle (AND I LOVE IT!!!!!) Enough on Comms.

FT movement – A few times some team members were advancing a bit far afield and a bit far ahead of the main unit. I questioned a my FTLs a couple of times why individuals were quite so far ahead, down the street, across the hill and such. Stay together as a unit. It may be tempting and even seem “easy” to move ahead, but if you come under heavy fire (given the revive script) it might be quite some time before we can get to you.

Relating to revive, suicide, and respawn – In future missions I would like to make sure that team members confirm with command (in this case above me) if they are going to respawn. Noting is more frustrating than working the remaining team to rescue a downed team member only to have them “disappear” because they decided (on their own) to respawn back at base. The further we move into A3 the more “real” we are trying to make it. Stabilized team members will last a long (forever) time in the field and it is the responsibility of the remaining team members to find and rescue them (notice how realistic the game now becomes).

Your SL (The Ugly) - lol – Even I need some “learnin” and this mission is no different. SITREPs and regular comms with command (better use of 6-place grid ref is key when in veteran mode) will be one. Another will be more strict on comms (prepare ye the bark of silence when it is needed) and confirming of orders back to command. Lastly, will be a greater focus on orders to FTLs and less on individual team member management, so FTLs will need to push the structure and movement requirement down chain as will be my expectation.

Awesome Sunday mission, amazing new tool, we are always a force to be reckoned with but if deployed TG Squads will be an even greater force to be reckoned with every time we deploy.

Full Mission After Action Report
          Respectfully submitted by SL – MadSoloSniper
          Last edited by MadSoloSniper; 07-01-2014, 04:00 PM. Reason: edits for clarity and grammar

Comment

I would like to note that the revive system needs to be replaced, I have alerted the author to the issues on the BI Forums but for me if it freezes my game with no way to respawn / get pulled out its a deal breaker.

Comment

FAR_Revive has its advantages and disadvatanges... It is stupid simple... Meaning anybody can modify it to their need. As far as pilots and others who dies in a vehicle, you should use this version... It addresses it. I do like FAR_revive despite its numerous shortcomings.

Comment

Originally posted by |TG| B View Post
                FAR_Revive has its advantages and disadvatanges... It is stupid simple... Meaning anybody can modify it to their need. As far as pilots and others who dies in a vehicle, you should use this version... It addresses it. I do like FAR_revive despite its numerous shortcomings.
                I totally agree and if this is a fix FAR REVIVE it is >>>>:D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X