No announcement yet.

Free Birds AAR (Beckner Edition)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [AAR] Free Birds AAR (Beckner Edition)

I want to thank everyone that joined this event. It turned out to be really fun. Although being TL is my least favorite, it went pretty well. Solo wanted me and B to try out some squad formations which turned out pretty well also. Great support from the vic's and the mortar before Shoomfie died. Medics did well. My Fire Team, Stirling, Lee, and Chichco did well. Solo and Unkl are great leaders. Despite the friendly fire (blood shot us) it turned out good. Again thanks for joining and playing this event. :)
    sigpic

Re: Free Birds AAR (Beckner Edition)

Definitely a great event, I'm glad I showed up. Great Leadership by Unkl and Dimi.
    Looking forward to reading Alpha's AAR.
    sigpic

Comment

it was overall good... there was mostly good teamwork that I was hearing over the radios which I always like to hear. I had some technical issues with my mortar which forced me to suicide out of it... which left me with a logistical nightmare of spawning several times to be able to get a new mortar and a tripod. But overall it was very well played. If I can add my 2 cents to Unkl for the next mission involving CSW's. Make sure you have extra mortar tripods/tubes in a box somwhere. also, that script didn't like loading those backpacks into the cargo at all.

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
      "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

Alpha-3 FTL here. After Action report.

Members:

B - (FTL)
        Chief - (AR)
        Recon - (GR)
        Xorilliz - (LAT)

Alpha was the main and big squad. We rolled out in our vehicle and dismounted soon enough hopping from hilltop to hilltop ahead of the armors. First contact was a few guys on a roadblock. My Fireteam Handled them easily and swiftly. Then we climbed up high to engage an Anti Air armor. Xor took one shot with his PCML and they bailed. We fought our way onto that thing against a couple of smaller teams and planted a satchel. First objective was finished. We could see the whole valley underneath us including an enemy APC. We waited and waited for an order. Finally I asked Solo if we can shoot that armor, he gave us a green light. By the time we came back, there were three APCs charging something. Our armors were shooting one of them. We aimed at a flanking APC and took him out. I dunno how it was so coordinated but all three APCs were bruning within seconds. Until this moment, we did not suffer any casualties. As soon as the missile flew, sniper took out Xor. Upon realizing he was down, during the rescue attempt we lost 2 more to the sniper.

Things were turning out to be pretty action packed fun. After waiting around a bit we finally got a green light to assault a radio tower with bunch of bad guys. Firefight to take the radio tower was executed flawlessly. Once we had the radio tower we looked onto the town for a long time. After quite a bit of time we finally positioned ourselves south of the town. We found the AAA vehicle. Xor put 2 PCML missiles in it and it did not blow up. We were assigned as overwatch I guess while Bravo was to move in and attack. We sat there for another long time.

I tried to persuade Solo to send a team to satchel that AAA as that was the objective. He said Command gave us no clearance. It was right in front of us... So after sitting and picking off some poor enemy infantries, we finally got the order to move in. We moved in and took contact from a compound to the right. We moved into the compound and engaged a few guys in there and setup shop. At this point the AAA is right next to us. We could spit on it from where we were. Then we started to take fire again. By the sound of the gun I knew it was MXs firing at us. Friendly fire, friendly fire from Bravo was all over the radio. But one of our medic still got shot due to friendly fire.

So, we mount up and received an order to go into the AAA site... Although it is so close from us. We mounted up into the armor. Bam! A missile comes flying in from Bravo taking out the AAA. We prepped that thing since our radio tower overwatch and Bravo took the glory. lol

Members in my fireteam did great. We got into fights first and came up on top several times. I had fun as their FTL.

Shoutout to Solo for managing the squad, keeping up with radio traffic, keeping us focused.
        Shoutout to Unkl for commanding and making the mission.

Comment

Beckner, how could you leave out the fact that your fire team left you for dead on the side of the First AA battery hill?

As I recall, we had just got everyone back up and in order from the sniper fire. The order was given to move down the hill, through the valley, and take position on the next hill. We took some light fire near the base of the hill, a two or three man patrol from the east hill with the windmills, and quickly wiped them out. It was over in seconds and Solo ordered the squad to proceed up the hill to stage for an assault of the radio tower. Once everyone was set and Solo ordered Beckner and Red team to move. No response. Solo again requested Red team to move. Silence dragged on uncomfortable for a few seconds. Someone on Red team spoke up on the radio, no one knew where Beckner was.

Then a text message in group chat. "I'm down back at grid..." So while Blue team got to have a "flawlessly executed firefight" (as B put it in his AAR), Red team and I, as squad medic, had to run around the hills like kids on an Easter egg hunt to find Beckner before he bleed out. Fortunately we found him in time, but it had to have been getting close :)

Comment

After Action Full Mission Report

Mission “Free Birds"

CO / Platoon Leader – Unkl

Squad Lead ALPHA - MadSoloSniper

ALPHA Red
            FTL – Beckner
            Sterling
            Lee
            Chichco

ALPHA Blue
            FTL - B
            Recon
            Chief
            Xor

Medics:
            Noyava
            Fenster (just for a little while near the end, but we liked having you in the mix)

Transport / Armor:
            Rudolf
            Yink

Mission report by:
            MadSoloSniper – Squad Lead – ALPHA

Mission over all
            As Alpha SL I can only speak to their actions as we were quite a distance from Bravo, but I hear they did well also. Awesome work by Alpha on the ground. Movement, reaction to fire, contact sighting and most of all . . fire discipline (oh, so many times they were itching to reach out and touch someone). Thank you Alpha Squad for making my job so much easier. It makes it go so well to be able to give a march order and have it followed flawlessly, call for fire support and have it answered so quickly, and also keep our movement fluid never stopping too long drawing fire.

Thank you Unkl for objectives that we could approach and assault in our own way, and for keeping us on task to our larger objectives. Clean and smooth (ok, with a few bumps).

The Mission
            Boots on the ground from initial deploy point we moved to high ground to get some intel about what we were up against. Good thing the armor was held where it was as not far ahead there was a road block and EI waiting to ambush our movement down the road. Blue team quickly dispatched with the threat and Red moved into clear the site and confirm kills.

From there we moved again to some high ground to keep the intel coming for command and to protect the precious armor assets. The first hilltop gave us a great view to the first AAA instillation and once we got the OK from command to take the shot our AT dispensed with the AA vehicle in a single shot. Some accurate mortar rounds took out the bulk of the security team and the dismounted men and Alpha was left with cleanup of just a few stragglers and the AA hill was ours.

Gathered some good intel and map placement of EI locations and armor and we were cleared to take some more armor shots (as it seems was Bravo also) and with a few quick shots there were three more enemy armor elements in flames on the ground. Not without consequence though as an enemy sniper was able to hone in on our squad with the second AT shot and started wounding men. The team kept their heads, pulled back, found the sniper location and quickly eliminated that threat, move the wounded to cover and our medic has his first (of not very many) patients of the day.

A little waiting on the AA hill and command sent us to take out the sentries on the top of the big hill guarding the radio tower. Brought our Armor forward to position them for the assault into the town and get their enhanced thermals looking on the next objective. Blue team made quick work of the men guarding the radio tower and we moved forward to prepare for the final assault.

Down slope to the edge of town. We had the second AA vehicle in sight and when we got clearance we put two perfect rounds on it. No dismounts and no movement or fire from it we figured all that remained was a satchel charge and our work (the tough part) for the day would be done.

Then came the waiting . . . . enemy sentries and random teams would move out of the town only to be reduced by the accurate fire of both Red and Blue teams. Command did not want us caught in the cross fire of the advancing Bravo squad so we held at the outskirts of town while they moved into position.

When the order did come we moved to a compound right near the AA, didn’t take a single shot on the way, but in the compound there was one EI that was quickly cleared. Then the confusion. With Friendlies so close we lit up our lasers to help with AFF, seems the thermals of some of the Bravo squad didn’t realize that they wouldn’t see the lasers . . . . . lessons learned . . . at the cost of a few wounded men and a lot of screaming in group, command and eventually side channel . . . . once sorted we were all back on the same page.

Command gave Alpha the order to mount up to siege a close compound and then take out the AA . . . . Then the sound and report of a missile from Bravo rang out in the night. Not sure where it came from but it seems that was the last hit that AA needed and in flames it went . . . much to the chagrin of Alpha who had been itching to finish it off for some time. But cleared it was and on to the next objective of clearing the town of last contacts with Bravo on the South side of the town and Alpha clearing the north. A few last contacts and we all rallied in the center of town to make the quick trip the coast and extract.

SL Comments on the mission:
            Movement – awesome – practiced Squad Column and it looked darn pretty. Line formations were well executed and given the accurate fire not much more I can say on that.

Comms – almost as good – a little work on calling for a comms even at the SL level and then waiting – I had a few Command comms that got stepped on with contact sightings that were just offered up in the middle of receiving orders. Recommendation – (using B only as an example) “Solo – B – Contact report”. Then wait until your SL asks for you to “Send it”, even if close. There is more comms going on at times than can be imagined. Once I have a clear ear I’m all about those sightings and reports, it’s after all what we we're all about up there.

Fire support – excellent – not much more I can say about that. Good use of fire, controlled, no wasted ammunition or movements.

Use of Armor – Squad level learning. I (that would be your SL) needs to focus on clearing and moving the armor in behind us more efficiently so they can cover and provide the support they are intended for. I was so worried about keeping them safe . . . . I just should have brought them forward sooner and kept them with us a little more.

Awesome stuff and a shout out to all the teams and men on the field. Thanks guys, made for another awesome Sunday event.

PS – I left out the part about Beckner getting lost on the hill . . . that’s why we have fireteam buddies . . . wink. Not worried about that one too much, with so much other awesome stuff that both teams did. . . . and we did, after all, find him.

Full Mission After Action Report
            Respectfully submitted by SL – MadSoloSniper

Comment

Yup, what he said...^^

Comment

I signed in about 10 minutes late but it wasn't an issue as a technical issue mandated a restart. I slotted in as assistant AR in Dimi's squad but by the time I was ready to mount up the only slot in the vehicle open was gunner and gunner became my permanent assignment throughout the balance of the mission.

Cursed any myself crewed an AFV Gorgon, providing transport and fire support during the mission. I came in with a bad case of laryngitis that limited me to mostly text comms. Despite this communication between Cursed and I and especially Dimi as the Bravo leader ( is that right) we operated efficiently and to good effect while maintaining a fairly safe overwatch position. Though we engaged a number of vehicles and troops successfully we did not really come under direct fire from anything larger than small arms. Dimi employed the AFV cautiously but also to great affect. An excellent deployment overall.

What stands out in my mind was the moment three armored vehicles entered the AO determined to engage with us. The three AFV's were deployed perfectly and with both troops and armor reacting quickly and accurately the enemy attack was defeated in short order, leaving a series of burning enemy armored vehicles littered across the valley.

Cursed and I were sent back to resupply as we were low on Anti Tank rounds. Upon returning we were ordered into town to bolster fire power while the infantry cleared out the rest of the village. Shortly after the final objective was completed, troops loaded up and the platoon exfiled to the East to complete the mission.

Overall the event was a great success. We had close to 30 players operating on a variety of levels and roles and from my limited perspective we completed the mission with a high degree of sucess. Good job to all.
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Slotted in as 2nd medic and was assigned to Dimitrius' Bravo team. My FTL was Ramna and Biggs was toting a grenade launcher.

Like all missions we started with a quick prayer to the ammobox gods...

We then moved up in the Gorgon's, a journey made more interesting by the robust game of footsies going on in the back passenger compartment. After dismounting, I spent most of my time cowering tactically hiding as I was the only medic within some distance of Bravo. We made a long flanking advance under the cover of the Gorgon, whilst in the distance we could see tracer fire from where we assumed Alpha were making their advance.

Some good AARs above have just about covered the rest of it, however the best moment of the mission for me was the furious fire fight on the way into town (just before Rudolf's Gorgon joined up with us for repairs). We had just finished a brief firefight during which two guys from Portable Cougar's fire team were downed. Once the shooting stopped I moved up into cover to start treatment, however as the casualties were out in the open some volunteers had to dash out to drag them to cover. We threw up one of the best smoke screen's I've ever seen, it was a thick 50m blanket across our entire front, out as far towards the enemy as we could hurl them. Next thing you know somebody shouts "they're still up" and all hell broke loose along our line. The smoke screen was flashing brightly with 40mm HE explosions, guns were roaring from our line and bullets zapped past as I treated the downed men and tried to keep my head below the parapet. Then the Gorgon opened up, shells literally buzzing right over our heads to detonate amongst the enemy. Certainly got the pulse racing!

It was great to see so many players enjoying the mission and displaying some TG teamwork.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Noyava View Post
                    Beckner, how could you leave out the fact that your fire team left you for dead on the side of the First AA battery hill?

As I recall, we had just got everyone back up and in order from the sniper fire. The order was given to move down the hill, through the valley, and take position on the next hill. We took some light fire near the base of the hill, a two or three man patrol from the east hill with the windmills, and quickly wiped them out. It was over in seconds and Solo ordered the squad to proceed up the hill to stage for an assault of the radio tower. Once everyone was set and Solo ordered Beckner and Red team to move. No response. Solo again requested Red team to move. Silence dragged on uncomfortable for a few seconds. Someone on Red team spoke up on the radio, no one knew where Beckner was.

Then a text message in group chat. "I'm down back at grid..." So while Blue team got to have a "flawlessly executed firefight" (as B put it in his AAR), Red team and I, as squad medic, had to run around the hills like kids on an Easter egg hunt to find Beckner before he bleed out. Fortunately we found him in time, but it had to have been getting close :)
                    I just wanted to keep everything in high spirits. Instead of a sad heart about a lost dog left behind by his squad. XD
                    sigpic

Comment

Oh, ya . . . . and the precision of a surgeon from Steel RAIN . . . ."Make it Rain!!!!!!" . . . . . . thanks Shoom.

Update (so as not to double post) - Totally good "Call out" Shoom . . . . you kept us from running into surprises a couple of times. . . . well placed gear. . . . . . . Make it Rain!!!!!!! . . . .lol

Comment

ha ha, yeah... (already deleted my post as it sounded ridiculously vain). But I did enjoy playing as the mortar, wish I had more things to shoot at, but it was definitely fun for me non-the-less.

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
                        "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

Guys, this sounds like an EXCELLENT event. I am sad I missed it. However, I am DOUBLE SAD because Steel Rain was involved and I missed it. Oh well, at least it was on target.
                          The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

During the pre-mission I was thinking to myself "Only if Garthra was here." Dont worry. We wouldnt have that much without you.
                            sigpic

Comment

We'd not have much of a mission if Garthra was at the mortar controls.

"Command, Bravo, Message."
                              "Go for Command"
                              "Requesting artillary support at, ...standby for coordinates."
                              "Copy that, rounds inbound."
                              "but I didn't tell you the coords yet!"
                              "No worries, Bravo lead, Garthra is here."
                              "..."

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X