Invade and Annex - October 28, 2014 - TacTuesday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [AAR] Invade and Annex - October 28, 2014 - TacTuesday

Ok, now that the excitement of the day has settled, and the sinus headache that about wiped me out is finally subsiding . . . . Let’s talk about TacTuesday.

Awesome as always, some new faces and they fit in nearly like old pros. I tip my ECH to each of the men in my squad. Well played and well executed. We saw some tough times and in all we worked through every one of them (ok, except the 8 million EI with armor that spawned at the end there). You guys are the best and I’ll SL, TL, CO, AR, GL and even medic with any of you any time. Thank you for making us (me) look good on the battle field.

With that said, let’s talk comms. I’m going to sound like a broken record a bit, but we can do better.

DDD

Direction – where should we be looking, if not compass then from the way we are marching, were marching, the way the whole squad is facing at the moment this one is key and important.

Distance –how far away, if you know spit it out if not, take a guess- Probably more than 100M but probably less than 1K. It’s not about being perfect but about letting us as a squad (and Squad Lead) where to focus. Up close and personal or out there in the distance . . .say two mountains away (kidding).

Description – who are we up against, armor, IFRIT, Air, A squad of crazed men rushing at us, or just a two man security team walking in the woods.

THAT’S IT . . .that’s all we (I) need to know. More than that just clogs comms, and usually at a time when we need every ear and every contact report we can get.

We had a touch of issues with “Sighting” reports that were being given as “Contact” reports. Someone that is not running at us guns raised or firing at us is usually a “Sighting” report. They are secondary and not critical to give unless we’re stopping for tea and there isn’t that much going on. In the middle of fire fight to call out a 4 man team patrolling over 800M away . . . . not needed at the moment, so remember it but hold it until we’re not quite so busy.

We also had a touch of issues with the length of the reports . . . . “Ok, I see some guys, they’re . . .over . . .by the hill . . . . to our left . . . about . . .wait . . . . . 340 . . . no . . .240 . . .well more like 245 . . . . in there some where . . . . . oh wait they just went over the hill . . . . how far you ask?? . . .about 950M . . they were just walking”. Good to know and at the time not very busy, but at that same time I was getting an update on Blue team and the CO was asking about our situation.

Even when we’re not in contact practice the 3Ds . . . short sweet and to the point. If not under direct fire take time to look at your compass first . . . then decide just how important they are, THEN report it to the team. Comms is happening all the time and sometimes even when were at a stop there are comms warping in at light speed to the ears of the SL and the TLs. The pilot is calling JIPs and the CO is asking for a SITREP.

Keep it short and keep the comms as non-existent as possible. More time to listen the bugs on Altis, or the blade report of incoming heilos or the clatter of approaching armor. The more time we have to listen and to focus the better we’ll be as a team as well.

In all we did amazing, I don’t want to take from that, but I will continue to harp on the comms thing, because I know we can do better. Add that to the awesome fire support of our team, the team work of sticking together and keeping track of each other and we will be an even greater force to reckon with on the battle field.

Thank you to the men of RED team . . . . . . \

MadSoloSniper

Re: Invade and Annex - October 28, 2014 - TacTuesday

I'd +1 this but it won't let me. I'd add one more thing....it's more important to get a directional from a fire team than a cardinal direction. If you tell me a compass direction I have to bring up my compass and let it settle. If you tell me it's half right I know it's anywhere between forward and full right. At the fire team level you should always be with your team up close and thus know which direction you have been moving in. If your at a long halt, then use compass directions.

Now, if you have a team over 100m away you can't use directionals (left, half-left, front, half-right, right, rear) AND you can't use compass directions either....but in this case you should be a team leader and be using whatever you squad leader wants. A squad leader will communicate in grid coordinates to platoon leader.

The big point in the fire team is to keep coms as short as possible indeed. Solo is bang on that point as well. If you haven't got all the info yet, call "Contact, over"...then gather yourself and speak it slow enough to be clear but concise enough to be short.

"Contact half-right, 300m, 4 man team moving left to right just became aware."
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Thanks Unkl. Being a squid for 24 years makes the compass rose like the back of my hand, "Right standard rudder, steady up on course 090" or "Surface contact bearing 285" , it's what I am used to. All direction was relative from the bow of the ship from 000 to 359 degrees, clockwise. We moved fore, starboard, aft and port, oh ya we pitched and we rolled. I have to re learn a few grunt things.

Comment

I have to remember those cardinal rules. I usually come in with my contact/sighting reports with a compass bearing. Good reminder Unk.

Looks like I missed another good session. My PC has been out of action for a few days but I'm now up and running and a shiny new GTX 970 is due for delivery today. I can't wait to check out my ARMA performance with this beast of a card. I've been running on a 470 for about four years now. That's been better than okay but the new card should be great and allow much higher settings and view distances. See you soon.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

WOOO HOOO . . . . New GPU AND his voice back . . . .doesn't get much better than that.

Hope to see you soon. . . . :-)

Comment

thanks Mad...almost back...still a little hoarse but much much better.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed