Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactical Tuesday - RHS Special Edition

Tac Tuesday RHS Edition AAR

We had some great firefights. The first mission to the Docks helped us adapt to TFAR and RHS weapons. We ran into some difficulties when we learned that Russian guns (unlike CSAT) *kill you dead* when they hit you (our revive script wasn't running, so we adapted).

After that we reorganized into 2 fire teams under Dimi as SL and prepared to find and destroy a communications tower located somewhere in Athira. I was assigned as AR on Hunter-1 fireteam under Frosty. We got right into the action, taking fire as we drove into our designated dismount point. We had a prolonged gunfight at the gas station, kicked off by a BTR running right up on us.

From there we had a running fight through town for over an hour. Enemy squads reinforcing the AO kept the pressure on us. We managed to secure the tower and destroy it. A large wave of enemy reinforcements was rolling in on our position as our surviving squad members made a fighting retreat to our waiting helicopter. I'll never know if the helicopter made it out as I took a bullet to the head right as it lifted off….

Video AAR!

A couple of points regarding the Mods we used:

1. TFAR: Organized Comms help - need much more practice. I'm not 100% convinced that TFAR helped here beyond making people think and talk about comms by virtue of its novelty. It was nice to be able to cleanly break up SL-FTL from FTL-Team communications. Similar processes can be done with group/command VON - but it's less flexible. The clear, reliable VoIP was nice to have though. No Question there.
    2. Lack of Revive system had some ups and downs. Once people realized how it was working, everyone started playing a lot smarter. Well, at least I did cause I was a lot less likely to take risks. On the other hand, organizing the transport of re-spawns and JIPs is problematic. The easy way, with MCC teleport to Squad Leader, is immersion breaking. But people having to travel into a hot AO on their own tended to die in route. Ideally a more interactive wound/medical system would be nice. But in the absence of that I would like to see a revive system with a shorter revive window (less than 2 min from down to stabilize) so the risk of "death" is greater. That would also make Stabilize a more important feature.
    3. MCC Sandbox - I really liked how well this ran. We ran the same MCC instance for nearly 6 hours without issue. The mission based version usually starts to slow down well before that.
    4. RHS: Escalation - I like the feel of the modern day guns and vehicles. That said I could go back to vanilla weapons and always have a great time.

Summary: If I had to pick 2 of the 3 Mods (TFAR, RHS, MCC Sandbox) I would unhesitatingly say TFAR and MCC Sandbox. If I had to pick one… probably TFAR… but that's a tough one cause I really love MCC :)

Re: Tactical Tuesday - RHS Special Edition

So, I started out being a rifleman because I was eating dinner and spent first mission with my mouth stuffed with Sesame chicken. After that, I ended up being in charge of Hunter 2.

I think TFAR changes more then you think in very subtle ways. It's reliable unlike Arma3 VON. Also, while you can binding keys to certain channels in Arma3, most people don't do it and in theory, you would need have several bindings. Also, having "Command" channel in Arma3 VON being limited to SL means you can't easily create command nets by just picking up LR radio and getting it done or just switching SR radio channels between squads if their SL gets hit. Finally, it's pretty easy for grunts to use. Numpad to switch channels, Capslock to talk on radio, Teamspeak PTT to talk locally, done. Also ability to talk locally and BS during downtime is something I think actually makes squads more cohesive. It helps with voice recognition, keeps Arma3 monotony from being overwhelming and just makes you feel connected to squad mates.

WIth some of communication issues I've had with Arma3 VON, I'd really love to see TG switch to TFAR being used for organized events. RHS is one of those, nice to have but doesn't make Arma3 experience radically different, TFAR does and I think it makes it radically different for the better.

I'd also love ShackTac UI but I'm just being greedy!

Comment

Last night was a great time. It made me think of times past and a few of the veterans who were on were whispering words of fond memories not too long ago.

Shoutout to Frosty the Snowman who lead the forward team expertly. Frosty had four men and was supported by Rabbit and 2nd team. The entire session was one big firefight from the initial dismount point all the way to the objective. The enemy was surprisingly cunning as we were flanked numerous times and ambushed on at least two occasions. I do not remember a recent mission where so much contact from our six was encountered.

Well done to all who attended.

And thanks to Noyava who admin'd for us, and turned night into day and back again as I was debriefing after the success of the mission. *glares*

;)

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Noyava View Post
        1. TFAR: Organized Comms help - need much more practice. I'm not 100% convinced that TFAR helped here beyond making people think and talk about comms by virtue of its novelty. It was nice to be able to cleanly break up SL-FTL from FTL-Team communications. Similar processes can be done with group/command VON - but it's less flexible. The clear, reliable VoIP was nice to have though. No Question there.

I agree and I have only one thing to add. We were a squad so technically we should be on the same channel. I had touched on that very concern about halfway through the mission. In the beginning the communications were solid and formal, as we moved out they didn't so much break down as become an extended mechanic of our local methods.

These next to points go without saying.
        1. TFR will really show its value when we have multiple squads and inter-unit communication will require better radio discipline.
        2. Whatever audio codec they use on TFR is several orders of magnitude greater than vanilla VON. I think alot of people agree that the quality is a very nice addition, regardless of the usage.

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

If we agree that "comms" is about "communication" then I think we can agree that TFR is just a touch better . . . every . . . . .third . . . . . which. . . . . .the other option.

The other side of the coin "comms usage" is just that. and with better (cleaner) comms then the nature of "good usage" can be addressed with the clarity that comes from actually being able to hear what is being said, and we can all work as a team to help each other and new players with the nature of good comms.

Only wish I was there to be a part of Noyava looking at the white wall all the time (and snap shooting that APC - Awesomeness!!!). Good times guys, looked like a lot of good fun.

Solo

Comment

Where have you been? Will we see you anytime soon?

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

RL and new job has me buried (in a good way) with work. I get the occasional "I need a break" and play some (surprised the heck out of Noyava the other day when I showed up) and I'm shooting for attending (in the capacity of ground pounder) this Sunday event. I hope to settle into a regular schedule and get back to the team I love more often. I know the AAR is not the place for this, but I'll only take this moment to share and let you all get back to TAC-TUESDAY shenanigans . . . .

Talk to you all soon,

Solo . . . . . . out . . . . . . \

Comment

I already posted in the other thread so I'm not going to repeat myself, but I have to agree that TFAR offers much clearer sound than the vanilla VON. And, as TheRabbit pointed out, it's easy to use and gives you ability to create new nets as needed. So it would be nice to see TFAR become a standard for such events.

Also, I made another short video. This one doesn't really emphasize teamwork (except that coordinated effort to bring down the helo - unfortunately unsuccessful), but there is some good supressive fire (grenade spam) and few long distance shots, so it should be enjoyable to watch: https://youtu.be/8BfZYA_Qf3U

Comment

Thanks for the video Shen. Good work out there. You are very good with that GL.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X