Redacted Thursday - Dec 10 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [AAR] Redacted Thursday - Dec 10 2016

Summary of the day: I nearly got a squad of 9 guys killed outside Pyrgos (crossing an open field. With no cover. In broad daylight with enemies on two sides)... so they gave me command of a mechanized platoon. Events unfolded from there...

Part 1: Battle for Pyrgos.

We had a slow rolling mission in which I started out by going alone into Pyrgos. I was soon joined by @DrunkenFrodo and new guy, DarkAssassin - we had a protracted firefight along the north east side of town. Then the reinforcements start arriving (by the end of the battle we had 9 or 10 guys) and we formed up and swept west through town, block by block. Someone was driving a Marshall through most the street fighting, it ended up getting disabled by RPGs when we got to the docks. The docks... we nearly lost it all there. The squad lost cohesion when I went down trying to pull back our marksman who had tried to climb the old tower. People started running all over the place in pairs or alone. When I was revived our 10 guys were spread across a 300 meter area and most were down. Frodo was out medic and had been doing his best to keep people up and eventually we got back on our feet. From there we fair easily cleared the rest of the town proper, and the little military base and construciton site to the south.

Then we had to turn east and cross the fields to the Eastern Compounds. Enemy reinforcements had been coming from the east during our push south, so we expected heavy resistance. We were not disappointed. Our first attack stalled, with our guys pinned behind low rock walls. I could see a house about half way across the open field - 100-150m from where we were pinned down. I thought that from there we'd have better cover and angles to engage the enemy - and a base of fire position to push all the way to the big compounds. I used all my 40mm smoke shells I had and filled in the close area with hand tossed smokes. Then ran for it. I made it to the house. When I turned around the ground behind me was littered with downed soldiers. Frodo was still sprinting and made it to within 10m of the house before i watched him collapse. We lost a few guys during the fighting, just could not get to them - they bleed out (and disconnected). We used every smoke grenade and took turns crawling out to drag the wounded to the house. I got downed trying to pull CaptainShawn back (he had already made the trip out to bring back wounded twice). At this point we had 6 guys hiding in a single room house, taking fire from 3 sides, and running dangerously low on ammo. Fortunately some new recruits came along from base and were able to take up a position to our north - and provide much needed covering fire (and an additional target for the enemies wrath!). Then CaptainShawn 2.0 (he also bleed out and died but came back really angry at insurgents!) provided us with Mortar support!

With HE shells "suppressing" (blowing to tiny bits) the compounds, and smoke shells covering the fields we sprinted across to the furthest south compounds. The mortar strike had left no survivors in that compound. We turned north and cleared each compound in turn. Everyone was working well together by this point so progress was swift. Hummel came in as Medic somewhere during this advance, taking up for Frodo (who just couldn't stand the sight of more dead being dropped at his feet). A short while later we realized we had cleared all the outskirts of Pyrgos! We made our way back to base to rearm and re-organize.

Part 2: Mechanized Death (Or - that time Dimi kept getting run over, making him question his decision to request we run as a mechanized unit).

Once back at base we found our numbers had grown. We had enough guys to form two infantry squads and crew an IFV. As I had successfully (defined as not *everyone* died at the same time) lead the last mission I was allowed to lead this one as well. [MENTION=138808]SchrodingersCat[/MENTION] (Erwin) took command of Foxhound squad, @DrunkenFrodo was leading Metal, and [MENTION=17278]Dimitrius[/MENTION] was leading Warhorse - our IFV. I decided to start small, attacking a 3 square target out to east of the base. This was my first time commanding an IFV so I wanted a controlled learning environment. Definitely need more practice at it :)

I dispatched Metal squad and the IFV to setup a base of fire position on the slight rise to the south of the objective. Foxhound was ordered to advance from the west using the low ground for concealment and cover. My intention was to avoid engagement until Foxhound could get with two hundred meters of the target, then Metal and Warhorse would unleash on the target area. Foxhound would advance across the open ground using the low rock walls as cover, then sweep the compound clean. That was the plan, but it played out a little differently.

Warhorse got Metal squad to its position safely, and the enemy didn't seem to notice. They took up firing positions and waited. Foxhound made it to their dismount point, then immediately came under heavy fire and was pinned down. Metal and Warhorse opened up to support, and I ordered Foxhound to push through the contacts toward the objective. It turns out even as commander yelling into the comms for things to happen doesn't automatically mean they happen... so disappointing. Foxhound started taking causalities and couldn't get momentum. Time to adapt. Warhorse was ordered to move out and take some of the pressure of Erwin's team, and Metal began the advance from the south to secure the compound. Warhorse got out there and called in they had killed 6 foot mobiles, Foxhound was no longer under threat, and they were turning their attention to support Metal's advance. A moment later I heard Hummel (driver) on Command channel telling me Dimi was down. Apparently he got out of the IFV to scout, and then was somehow run over by the IFV. As they tried to figure out what to do with their disabled leader Warhorse was hit by at least two RPG rounds and was disabled. Fortunately the crew survived. Fox hound sent their medic over to help them out.

Foxhound was back to full strength, so I had them move north to intercept an anticipated enemy counter attack form that direction. Meanwhile Metal mopped up the objective. I decided to move up to the IFV position to organize repair of the vehicle, so I drove my hunter in at full speed. As I approached I was momentarily distracted (either it was a lag spike or I had to check my text messages - one or the other) and when I looked up someone was standing right in front of my vehicle. I swerved, but too late (and the wrong way) so I ran them right over. I jumped out and immediately recognized Dimi's uniform. It was easy, it was the one with IFV tread marks next to the MRAP marks I had just applied. I did what any decent person would do in that situation. I put two rounds into him, reported enemy fire had killed Dimi, and got back in my MRAP and drove on. :)

With the first objective done and the counter attack cleared we setup to attack the next enemy position to the North-West of Pyrgos. We had an additional IFV operating at this point, so I sent one IFV and Foxhound squad to clear the objective area. Metal squad and a support IFV were sent to take a position between the objective and the town of Charkia. The enemy was certain to move out of the town and move south when the attack on the second objective started. About this time Unkl took over command of Metal squad, and Conner joined in to take command of both IFVs. Erwin's team did a great job clearing the second objective, and we turned our attention to clearing the town of Charkia.

I don't have much to tell about the fight for Charkia, thanks to the quality leadership at the squad level the operation went without a hitch. We moved in from the south, and swept south to north. When the enemy had a strong point, or massed for a counter attack, we smashed them with IFV fire. All I had to do was observe the advance from a distance and coordinate the IFVs and infantry as needed.
    Last edited by Noyava; 12-11-2015, 09:54 AM.

Re: Redacted Thursday - Dec 10 2016

Make sure to tell them how you ran mercilessly ran me over.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
      Make sure to tell them how you ran mercilessly ran me over.
      Don't worry, I made sure to put in the whole truth of this incident.

Comment

That was almost "tea out the nose" when I got to the SECOND Running over of the CO . . . . ;-)

Good stuff, makes me happy I was "Foot mobile" and not anywhere near the command vehicles (fears for the health and safety of his men) . . . . toooo funny.

Good time gentlemen good times.

See you all soon,

Solo

Comment

Considering the amount of people when I joined, my experience was smooth. I joined under Unk and was shielded from all the CO chatter. Unk's squad, mixture of new players and veterans was operating like a well oiled machine. I enjoyed my time big time.

Comment

Warhorse AAR.

Summary: I found myself situated with Lowspeed and Hummel in one of two Marshals which formed the core of the mechanized element of our mission. Noyava was our CO and it was painfully obvious he has never directed Mechanized so we decided to have mercy on him and agreed to use our throw'n pies on the enemy and not our own Six. Overall we did well.

Longer version: I drove the first Marshal to the staging section and stepped out to rally my crew members. The moment I left the drivers seat a new recruit jumped in and started driving it away. At first, and to my horror, he started accelerating through the south entrance where an entire squad was forming. To my surprise, however, he stopped just short and waited patiently inline. It was at this point that I decided to take back the Marshal so I hopped in and explained the situation to the driver. He was just an eager and willing recruit in the end and there was no malicious intent. Good.

Hummel and LowSpeed were Warhorse driver and gunner respectively. It took us very little time to become accustomed to one another's preferences, one of the most difficult and underrated concepts of operating mechanized is the internal communications among crew-members, never-mind the upstream communications to the command element. These preferences include whether or not Hummel(driver) is more comfortable with me calling out compass bearing or clock face. It is important to pick a standard and stick to it so as to streamline communications.

Side note=== How many times have you seen a marshal just off on its own, not able to get to where it is going efficiently, not able to locate enemies efficiently, not able to gauge its current situation with respect to blufor in close proximity. All of these cases are caused, usually, by poor communication within the vehicle itself. Okay back to the report. ===Side note

As I was saying, we figured out our two or three SOPS between myself, lowspeed and Hummel and we set off for the first objective. Command had us utilized as an active offensive unit from the get go. We were ordered to transport Metal 1 (Metal 1-6 means the fireteam leader of Metal 1 but our newer fire team leader was unaware of that distinction so I will refer to him as Metal 1.) We ended up in a field filled with reeds, shrubs and brush which make a perfect spot for concealment, but terrible for area coverage. Metal 1 was deposited and we took up station and overwatch covering from West to North.

Command instructed us to follow Metal 1 to the west at a trailing spacing so we inched behind them from 50 yards and immediately lost them in the reeds. I decided to stop the Marshal for fear of running over players who may not be paying immediate attention to their surroundings (see [MENTION=109039]Noyava[/MENTION] for further reading) and we waited until Metal 1 re-appeared on the other side of the concealment. Catching up with Metal 1, we realized suddenly that we had Not, in fact, reacquired Metal 1, but run into a squad of 6 enemy infantry. They were meters from us. They turned around and looked at us, Lowspeed turned the turret and looked at us, they started shooting, Lowspeed killed them all with the .556 in a few short bursts. At this time we parked the Marshal on a relatively elevated spot off of the road, away from where vehicle traffic would typically traverse, and I hopped out and communicated to command our situation report. Before I was able to reach out to Command, I was suddenly incapacitated(Run over #1) by my own Marshal who had backed up in an effort to get into a better position for our Gunner. This was my fault as I had not given Hummel the NO MOVE order, which is typically given when infantry are around a mechanized unit or section. It took 12 minutes and 43 seconds for a medic to get to me and after I was reccesitated, I decided to continue where I left off, which was giving my report to Command. I keyed the radio and let Noyava know WARHORSE had neutralized six tangos. Command reported he was on his way to our location at this point. Turning my attention back to the North and our next objective, I noticed our Marshal was destroyed in, apparently, an RPG attack while I was down. We were not entirely combat ineffective as the turret still worked. I brought up my binoculars and started scouting to the northern objectives when the lights went out again. As I lingered in the etheral, resisting the urge to move towards the beautiful white light, I started to piece together what had happened. I must have taken a stray round while exposing myself during my survey. I was ripped from the Ether and woke up staring up at a blue sky. Standing up the medic who revived me explained to me that I had been run over by the CO.

I figured it was a gesture of endearment so I let it go.

After this my involvement drew down as I had to log off, all in all, a fun night and great experience.

Noyava, we should talk about leading mechanized, it was great that we brought Connor on as XO, that was a great first step.

Thanks for the great times, mechanized units don't get enough opportunity.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X