Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [AAR] TacTuesday - March 22, 2016

The Return of Solo

Awesome TacTuesday, let’s just start right there. Both missions I was on were well played, well lead and provided a good amount of things to shoot at.

I remember both fairly well – our “take the Mortar hill” mission . . . didn’t end well for Charlie, but the mission up to the point of the single AI that kept “one shotting” us through fields of smoke . . . was awesome. Good leadership and we moved well and covered each other as a team well. Felt good to be back in ArmA after so long on the road doing RL stuff (ugh).

The second was a little more “labor” intensive. Our awesome Zeus and Admin Noyava had to depart (seems he was drinking again . . . well you know how he is – I’m kidding of course) I was slotted as XO to Dimi as CO and a good squad of troops moving on an objective. Leading Warhorse (armor) and Archer (heavy gunners) along with Zeus and Admin to a couple of . . .well let’s just say they WON’T be back anytime soon. Nice dive right back into the deep end of the pool. I have to say the command element and the logistics were a good way to jump back in and I kind of enjoyed the “back of the bus” experience more than I have in the past.

We moved with purpose on objectives and used both armor and ground pounder assets to awesome effect in clearing and eliminating both enemy armor and infantry assets. The teams worked well and were spread out giving us good field of cover and fire. Adding an armor asset (and keeping it from being AT struck) was a good addition. Kudos to the armor team (Frodo?) for maintaining discipline and holding back while Experiment and the awesome ground pounders cleared the path so the Armor could move up safely. Tully acted as “eyes in the sky” providing excellent intel on enemy assets ahead so the teams were not TOO surprised. Dimi was an excellent CO and kept things flowing and moving forward at a measured pace. And a shout out to Sparrow and Archer for moving on their own as the heavy gun team and “keeping it real” and covering us even though they were separated from the main fighting element.

Hummel, love you man sorry we couldn’t get you more heilo time (but in fairness he did drop in just as we were mopping up the AO) . . . . good stuff, we'll get you in the mix next time.

We maintained awesome squad discipline and effectively took the town the assets and secured the objectives with calm professionalism. Good work team, nicely run missions.

Nothing like “full immersion” return to ArmA. It’s good to be back guys. See you all much sooner this time around.

Solo

Re: TacTuesday - March 22, 2016

AAR Military Complex NE of Base
    CO: experiment
    AlphaXX (2-2?): MPL TRACE
    Charlie-0: LowSpeed
    Juliet XX : Loaffy

Objective: Clear the enemy military complex, secondary destroy the enemy radio towers.

I have joined the server possibly during the later half of this operation. Checked in with Command (experiment), and asked what he needed and informed him of how many at JIP location (base). He asked me to form a separate squad (Charlie-0) and prepare to move out to the area of operation (AO). Command later sent an order for Charlie-0 to set up on the west side of the military complex, in preparation to assault into and clear the said complex then destroying the enemy radio towers.
    With Alpha XX (2-2? led by MPL TRACE) assaulting from the east, and a base of fire element with command on the north-eastern side out side of the complex. I have contacted Alpha XX actual to coordinate our assaults. I have informed Alpha XX that Charlie squad will take the southern half with them pushing into the northern half.

Clearing the many buildings and structures within the military complex. Initially, Charlie squad encountered a fire team sized contact defending a large office building with many rooms inside. Charlie squad, managed to clear the building with success despite having to bandage up two of our guys in the process.

Pushing off the building to continue mission. Just as the Charlie squad have managed to clear the southern half, Command directed our attention to concentrate to our secondary task, to destroy the enemy radio towers. Unfortunately, this special equipment (mainly something that would entail anything that goes boom) wasn't being carried by the Charlie squad. However, Command being made aware, detached CapS to link up with me and take the enemy towers down. After placing the charges by CapS, and as a result detonating them. I realised that, the surrounding smaller radio towers were still up. Or more to the point, didn't know they were part of the objective. Which placed us into some minor predicament. We needed more explosive charges.

Command amply provided the logistic aspect. Timely and relentlessly resupplied us finally after a second or third attempt. Not due to lack of comms, but other callsigns technical issues and being ambushed. Also, a large number of enemy paratroopers dropped into the south-east and east shortly after.

Charlie squad continued to push into the northern sector of the immediate area, to link up with Alpha squad.
    Unfortunately, somehow Alpha squad suffered mass casualty during Charlie squads movement into the northern sector.
    As Charlie squad continued to push, we linked up with respawned Alpha squad with their IFV. Myself and Alpha XX leader, cleared up any miscommunication with the map markers, and realised that the buildings marked weren't clear (versus being cleared).

Alpha and Charlie pushed to clear and secure.

Alpha XX got themselves into some heavy contacts. Charlie diverted to assist them. Charlie set up a casualty collection point (CCP), after retrieving most of the wounded Alpha squad members. Then set up security in one of the nearby Sneaky domes. The combat medics did their thing, whilst Charlie squad and few Alpha squad fellas setup security. Placing our SAW gunners at the main entrances with few remaining Alpha squad guys reinforcing our choke points. But the Sneaky dome had another surprise. The security entrance into the dome was really not secure. A few enemy broke into our iron clad defence and managed to wound few of Charlie squad members and Alpha. Note to self, those domes have three entrances where AI's can and will penetrate even when closed fully. Or was it Zeus? hmm. Sneaky either way.

The enemy paratroopers by now have begun their assault into our location, and Alpha, Charlie and command element have continued to push on to engage them. Sometime into the engagements, I've placed Charlie to hold up and detached CapS and myself from the squad temporarily to take out the remaining enemy radio towers. A few minutes later, after fighting ourselves into the said towers. CapS managed to place the ordinances and complete that tasking.

A call to evacuate was called by Command and after getting the wounded back up, callsign Juliet swept in with his large transport helo to pick us up. Alpha was boarded, Charlie was held back slightly due to tending to the remaining wounded. Charlie mounted up, and with the helo full. We all returned back to base.

Constructive Criticism:
    More communication between squads
    Pre-establish the triage order
    Pre-establish the succession of command before stepping off, with in the squad.
    Read the mission briefing and/or contact Command for any special equipment prior to leaving for the operation.

AAR Mortar hill
    CO (Hunter Actual): Dimitrius
    Hunter-1 : experiment
    Hunter-2 : LowSpeed

Objective: Assault & Secure enemy Mortar hill

After a concise mission brief, all elements except command element started our movement into the AO. With Hunter-1 leading the large column and Hunter-2 in tow. However, somehow the Hunter-2 and Hunter-1 got inter mixed, and Hunter-2 pushed past Hunter-1 at the suggestion of Hunter-1.

About 500 metres ahead, my fireteam leader Bryan got shot. Initial contact report was sent and Hunter-2 quickly lined up to the 4x infantry contacts to our front and eliminated them. After the engagement, Hunter-2 sent the contact report in to Actual and continued to proceed into our path.

During our movement to our respective rally points, Hunter-2 received another small arms fire and wounded Bryan for the second time. This time coming from a small building to our front-left. Shooting from within a window. With one of our fireteam providing a base of fire, the other fireteam quickly moved in. To clear that threat successfully.

Sometime after this engagement, Hunter-1 informed Hunter-2 that there were claymores seen by Hunter-1 and to take caution. Luckily, this callsign did not see any.

Hunter-1 reached their rally point, with Hunter-2 due south-east of them by 200-300m away. Hunter-1, and 2 coordinated our assault plan. Hunter-2 suggested to take the assault with Hunter-1 as base of fire. To push past Hunter-1 to their left, to assault the Mortar hill, and Hunter-1 to engage the enemy threats to our front-left for about 1200m away then shifting their fire towards Mortar hill for Hunter-2's assault.

Hunter-2, received heavy contact few minutes later. Hunter-2 broke contact after stabilising two wounded, then peeled right.
    Unfortunately, an adept AI managed to Chuck Norris all of Hunter-2 elements into submission.
    Hunter-2, combat medic came to. Got Hunter-2 leader up but myself and the combat medic got wounded again.

By time time, Hunter Actual realised that we were needing help. Reached out the Hunter-1, to assist us. However, from hearing the exchange of fires from Hunter-2's far left. Hunter-1 was already in a fight and in it deep. The enemy GMG was terrorising them.
    Having said that Hunter-1, was willing to follow Hunter Actuals order to help Hunter-2 to their right.

Hunter-2 actual typed in Command chat "Negative, we are in a killzone (this chat never happened)". In hopes to prevent more casualty for Hunter-1.

We respawned/bled and the mission was called.

Constructive Criticism:
    A few missed sighting reports to command from Hunter-2.
    A missed follow on contact report after first initial contact for Hunter-2.
    Nobody except the squad leader and fireteam leaders should carry binoculars, or rangefinders, or laser designators.
    I have noticed that everyone from rifleman to assistant ammo bearer using them instead of their combat optics to scan their immediate areas. Which relates to slower reaction times. I strongly believe this should be standardised in regular light infantry missions.
    Command element (with support group) moving in support with 2 squads in the area of operation.

AAR Enemy Assault
    CO: Dimitrius
    XO: MadSoloSniper
    Hunter: experiment
    Archer: Sparrow
    Grizzly: Hummel
    Warhorse: Frodo, Loaffy, myself.

Objective: take out 1x enemy AAA, and 1x enemy artillery tank.

As a point of view from the callsign Warhorse driver, and later as commander of the callsign. This callsign entailed a lot of hurry up and wait. The outcome of this was that the Warhorse came out unscathed. Negative aspect was that our uber tank could have been utilised much better in support and more effectively to push the mission along. Without the unnecessary ROE checks back and forth to hinder our efforts.

Constructive Criticism:
    ROE was not stated
    Command & signal was not established clearly
    Suggest Command to move in support from the rear in the AO to establish a better situational awareness, and battlefield awareness. This may, allow for better command and control of the various assets in the AO for the intent of the operation.
    Use the XO position for JIP control role. Or task the pilots with getting the JIPs into the battlefield after the SITREP of the mission is understood between the pilot and the CO/XO/2ic/RTO.
    Addition of RTO role should be used in combined arms scenarios.

Overall, I would like to ask the mission makers to dedicate a role for the radio operator when using a squad sized game or above.

Organisation for a squad as an example:
    Section leader
    RTO
    Combat medic
    2ic (2nd In charge = fireteam leader)
    Totalling 10 max.

or

Squad leader
    1 x RTO (radio man)
    1 x Combat medic
    2 or 3 fireateam leaders with max 4 under their command within the fireteam.
    Totalling 17 max.
    Attach any special roles suited for the mission scenario using this basic layout.
    Anything larger than this would translate to a minimum of 2 squad strength mission with a mission commander as HQ.

Also, by having a real time unit markers for all to see on the map would help our leaders to 'see' the battlefield also. Ideally with NATO markers built into the game,but half the size. For the in-house mission makers and the aspiring. Check out the F3 system by Fer. It can be tailored to our needs, perfectly.

I'd like to thank everyone from command down to a rifleman, even those without TFR mod (get it installed!) did an excellent job on playing their roles in support of the group as a whole. This is one of the reasons I enjoy it here and looking forward to seeing it continue. Great games!

TGU Instructor · TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean · Former ARMA Admin · Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Lowspeed thank you for your in depth and professional example of a Real world AAR.

You bring up many good criticisms of command structure that are deserved and well recognized. My only response to said critique is timing of JIPs and the fluctuating size of our forces. I know "hurry up and wait" is a great way to describe what you were experiencing, but I am sure it is obvious that it is difficult to manage infantry, mechanized and armor all at once while maintaining proper battlefield awareness. At this point, I must be preaching to the choir as you are one of the most well known strategists in our community. When we have a chance to plan larger missions and can discuss and communicate our expectations then our command structure and the communications within will have a better chance of succeeding. Every commander has a tone and approach to their setup. At the end of my day, or anyone's day for that matter, when were are on the last two or three missions, sometimes order of events and the sequence of action can get a little mixed up. It takes a Lot of concentration to keep everyone together and not let one element just go forth and take all the glory. The mission called for restraint otherwise I could have just told the infantry to stick back and burn a cigarette while the armor rolled through until it got hit with AT. I do appreciate your feedback and I think everyone can learn from your thoroughness in documentation before, during, and after the action.

Good work all around last night. Few call outs.

[MENTION=6577]experiment626[/MENTION] - You continue to be one of the best squad leaders I have had the chance to work with. Great job leading your men through thick and thin and having that Never-changing reliable attitude you manage to sustain. I would hazard to guess that several players who have showed interest in leading have been inspired by your performance. Not being negative is a powerful trait to be known for.

[MENTION=1879461]Frodo[/MENTION], [MENTION=138805]Loaffy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1882358]LowSpeed[/MENTION] - Good job in the Slammer. I know you were hanging out for quite a bit at first but your later mission support was vital and the half dozen or so vehicles you destroyed were appreciated. There was some shuffling around in that tank as I never knew who was going to respond to my requests, but it worked out and a crew filled with Irregulars never disappoints in performance. Thanks for proving that, guys.

[MENTION=1877011]Scout[/MENTION] I know you came in late but thanks for taking up the MG position on the Mortal mission.

[MENTION=73096]mmetully[/MENTION] - Great job on UAV operator. Newer players will constantly ask questions about that role and do not have their assets in order when needed. You ran the Darter and the UGV with efficiency and autonomy, that is something that really says lots about the ability to be depended on. THe UAV operator must be able to anticipate expectations of the commander(Not to be confused with Orders) and you did that expertly last night. I think you also discovered how much concentration that role really takes to be efficient. That didn't go unnoticed by me.

[MENTION=126738]Hummel[/MENTION] - There were communication issues throughout the night. For some reason you were not receiving my calls on the long range and I wasn't receiving yours. Had the comms issue not got in our way, we would have better been able to utilize your role.

[MENTION=109039]Noyava[/MENTION] What can be said about Noyava? We all know him as the ARMA Admin with the Most Assets. He graciously spent his time, as he always does, managing the resistance that we encountered on our missions. For anyone who hasn't had to do that it should be known that it isnt an easy feat. But we all know Noyava, he'll gladly take command of the AI if it means he gets a chance to walk a lonely OPFOR rifleman seven hundred meters through our defenses only to shoot ME RIGHT IN THE BACK! I"m always happy when I see him at the "GOD" Controls. :D

[MENTION=60782]Solo[/MENTION] - Great to see you again. And it was nice to have a volunteer who can handle the responsibilities of the XO. Those responsibilities, as noted by [MENTION=1882358]LowSpeed[/MENTION], have purpose and it may be considered my fault for not instructing you on dealing JIPS but we had comms issues, late nights for everyone, and a large crowd to organize. I appreciated your assistance with Archer and Warhorse.

[MENTION=114714]Sparrow[/MENTION] You are always reliable in any position I put you in, even when I tell you you are leading heavy weapons squad. You did an excellent job leading your men and keeping them alive.

I may have missed some names or events from last night, please correct me and mention other players for their actions.

I do not often see combat because I am typically among those giving orders on any mission, but the concentration and sacrifice any commander has to make is 110% WORTH IT, even on the worst possible day, because we get to lead men like you. It is an honor.

Regards,

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dimitrius again.

Thank you for your eloquently worded praise and your honesty. As you already know this from years of playing together, I prefer direct honest dialogue rather than others. As always, I appreciate your candour and straight forwardness.

I'm 100% certain, had I led the mission the outcome may have been similar, however with more casualties and loss of assets possibly. In the process, also forgetting or not utilising some key roles for the mission. We are all human, and we all learn as we fail. Otherwise, there is just no real progress.

From my point of view, you did very well. Don't take my criticisms to heart, it also just so happens you lead 2 out of 3 missions that I wrote the AAR for.
        It was made so that anyone who was in those missions can discuss and improve ourselves. That was the goal, and still is for me. A constant improvement until, we all become battle hardened pixel warriors in the ARMA world. :)

As for experiment, if I can somehow replicate him and make a carbon copy and multiply that by 10. TG ARMA would be as smooth as a woman's ... hair, and tough as a woman's resolve when angered. If the players could take away anything from him during the games. They would take away sound tactical knowledge, and a positive attitude all around from him. He will always ride on the roof, because he is experiment. He will 'bail out' so quick the bullets will be suffering from confidence issues.

Lets keep this rolling and play more, and more! It just gets better as we do!

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
          Squad leader
          1 x RTO (radio man)
          1 x Combat medic
          2 or 3 fireateam leaders with max 4 under their command within the fireteam.
          Totalling 17 max.
          Attach any special roles suited for the mission scenario using this basic layout.
          Anything larger than this would translate to a minimum of 2 squad strength mission with a mission commander as HQ.
          I am keeping this in mind. Maybe our next event missions should call for such a configuration.

...hmm.

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
            I am keeping this in mind. Maybe our next event missions should call for such a configuration.

...hmm.
            I always thought the standard layout for a rifle squad was 13 men -- 3 four-man fire teams each with 1 grenadier, 1 AR, one AAR, and one rifleman, all fire team leaders reporting to the squad leader

OR

12 men, 3 fire teams
            1 fire team with SL, RTO, CLS, and JTAC/SDM
            2 fire teams with AR, AAR, GRE, and RFN

Comment

[MENTION=126738]Hummel[/MENTION], the suggestion made by myself is just that. There are many stardards across all branches of different nations. However, yes. Your thought of a rifle squad is around that.

But to keep the standard organisation, and allowing for more player slots with less 'leadership' roles, maybe using UK methods would suit better?

UK Section
              8 man total
              Led by two fireteam leaders, one fireteam (Charlie) being led by a Corporal (Section leader) and the other (Delta) by a Lance Corporal (2ic).
              (Rifleman, grenadier, light machinegun, light support) x 2. Cleverly, this can be broken down further by two-man sub teams (Alpha & Bravo).
              This configuration works well for the game. Since, its only 8 men vs 14 or more. Which also limits the use of vehicle transport due to seat limits.
              Each Fireteams can easily fit into a vehicle (IFV, helo, etc).

Comment

Well US Marines, from what I understand, use the three fireteam route while the UK uses a section leader and a fire team leader.

I designed Scorpion Ops Zaros RAID in that theme, 1 squad leader, two medics, three fireteams. When I lead the mission, we stay as a squad though I know in other attempts the first squad has been broken up into smaller units.

Ever try keeping track of three fireteams before? It gets hairy, but it is doable for those who are comfortable and familiar with what is needed for that particular organization.

We've gone back and forth on sections and squads for years and I find it really depends on the feel from the team.

If we get started early in the day and everyone can focus, then we're better suited for the higher organizational element required by the SL in that case.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

From "Marine Rifle Squad" (U.S. Marine Corps): "The squad is composed of 13 men: a sergeant (squad leader) and three fire
                  teams of four men each. Each fire team consists of a corporal (fire team
                  leader/grenadier), two lance corporals (automatic rifleman and assistant automatic
                  rifleman), and a private or private first class (rifleman)."

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
                  Ever try keeping track of three fireteams before?
                  Yes. Multi-tasking is not something humans evolved to do, thus, leading multiple teams at once is difficult. That's why natural leaders are invaluable.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have swore that a squad is not supposed to separate too far. I thought the rule was stay within shouting distance / eye sight. The strength of a squad comes from the number of guns you can point at a threat.

If you have to "keep track" of your fireteams by watching them on a map, you might as well have three different squads. Not saying that it's wrong to do that... We've done it countless times successfully. However it's also gone wrong... Try to count the number of times you've had to redirect your team to revive a team that went down after being engaged by another squad of terminators.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

Your thoughts are inline with my own with respect to proximity and audio range. That is one of the three things I tell newer players if it's obvious they've not been in a fireteam before. Stay close enough where I can hear you speak on local and within view distance such that if I turn my head, I have line of sight to you, within hollering range.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Hummel View Post

Yes. Multi-tasking is not something humans evolved to do, thus, leading multiple teams at once is difficult. That's why natural leaders are invaluable.
                      Leaders are taught. There are people who are more natural at this, but still needs tuition.

Originally posted by Hummel View Post
                      Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have swore that a squad is not supposed to separate too far. I thought the rule was stay within shouting distance / eye sight. The strength of a squad comes from the number of guns you can point at a threat.

If you have to "keep track" of your fireteams by watching them on a map, you might as well have three different squads. Not saying that it's wrong to do that... We've done it countless times successfully. However it's also gone wrong... Try to count the number of times you've had to redirect your team to revive a team that went down after being engaged by another squad of terminators.

Just my thoughts.
                      This I agree with. Fireteams shouldn't break down into 2-man sub-team or separate, unnecessarily. 'Within vocal distance' (TFR, 'normal mode' in this mod or 'DirectChat' in VON) is a good measure. We used this soft rule, for years at TG, and encouraged from the TGU.

The thing is, if we have just a squad achieving an objective. Say with 3 fireteams under a squad leader. Whether it be in the dessert, jungle, mountain, and urban areas. There will be a need to break down the fireteams into sub-teams to achieve a particular goal.
                      This breaking down of a fireteam into sub-team specially applies to urban areas. Rule of 2 "buddy system" (two man sub-team from a fireteam) should be adhered to when clearing a room, as an example.

There are also situations where in the similar areas. A squad leader may use a 'satellite' method of movement/patrol (TGU course will be made available). It allows for quicker and natural free flow of his fireteams. Versus of moving in a large tactical column from A to B. Disadvantage of moving in a tactical column is that your ground coverage is very limited.
                      What does this mean? In a tactical column, you are on both sides of the road, and your coverage is limited to the buildings you are on, and your nearby alleys or roads. But that is it. Essentially, your observation is limited to that. There are tens or hundreds of places an enemy could be in that area or around the corner.

Satellite movement, is breaking down your squad into fireteams (or in this case sub-fireteam) to move from point A to B but in keeping within the general route.
                      Two key points (this is crucial) is that you must keep your observation and communication with the squad at all times. It would also be wise to establish a preplanned methods of re-establishing contact within the fireteam if lost.

This method allows for a free-er control of the fireteams. But in keeping with the squads route.
                      It gives the Fireteam leaders the flexibility, and coverage for the squad as well as security. While keeping themselves cohesive as a small unit, and keeping in visual and/or communication with the squad (leader) at all times.

Usage example:
                      Squad leader sends out a fireteam on the route they need to patrol, before the rest of the squad moves out.
                      That fireteam could move out 5,10,15minutes before the squad moves and establishes a firm point on or nearby a route (say a roof top coverage of the route area).
                      This fireteam now could see the paths on the route, and their surroundings, enemy movements, but most importantly the squads path/movements. It also allows for a fallback/hardcover/rally point position in the patrol if needed.
                      Once, the initial fireteam (Alpha) that established the 'firm point'. The two other fireteams (Bravo, Charlie) can now bound past Alpha fireteams position and move in general path towards the squads patrol route. But in keeping within 100-150m apart. Keeping their communication up at all times. This allows for more coverage during their patrol.
                      In addition, Bravo or Charlie have found a nice position on their route and radios the squad leader that they have a nice building to cover. Alpha bounds past Bravo or Charlie and sets up. Rinse and repeat.
                      Pros: Always have communication, always have observation, always have a firm position of strength and security, always have a fallback position, and covering more ground.
                      Cons: separation of elements, separation of concentrated firepower.

By the above example, with limited number of players. We can see why we may need to use 2 man subteams to achieve this. Also keeping in constant communication with the squad.

p.s. have you noticed a word that popped up frequently? no? it's communication.
                      Last edited by LowSpeedHighDrag; 03-24-2016, 11:20 PM.

Comment

All things I agree with.

On a side note, as a squad leader, my idea of an order is "Establish overwatch over there" or "move there and do this" or "Watch this direction". I will rarely break down a fire team as I believe in strength in numbers, and I'm uncomfortable enough with having a fire team by itself for whatever reason. I think of my squad as 3 pieces (fire teams) rather than a collection of soldiers.

I remember, years ago, when I was in high school talking to a Marine Corps recruiter. I asked him about Marine Corps leadership, and he proposed a hypothetical situation in which you are a 2nd Lieutenant in charge of a platoon. Your objective is to take a heavily defended hill from the enemy. How do you complete the mission? After listening to me strategize for a few minutes, he told me simply, "Tell your platoon to take the hill."

That's something that's stuck with me throughout my e-soldier lifetime. Orders come from up top -- Your job is to pass them along. There isn't enough time in the day to babysit everyone in your squad through an engagement, which is why I suspect it's difficult finding volunteers to lead a mission.

Comment

After listening to me strategize for a few minutes, he told me simply, "Tell your platoon to take the hill."
                          That only works *if* your platoon is filled with a group of like trained individuals already know, due to prior training, and/or experience, how to coordinate that action. Leading trained professionals who all know what to do is easy. Leading a random bunch of disembodied voices inside the artificial communication constraints of arma is a very different scenario.

In the absence of uniform training, the most effective leaders I've seen around here tell specific people, by name, to do specific things. Such as "Noyava, cover north west, up the road."

The way I think it should work is the PL gives orders like "take the hill" but *then* the SL(s) have to give specific clear orders like "move up to the hill from the west, using the tree line to mask your approach. Then smoke the open ground and cross to the rocks." Then the FTLs have to make all that happen while their team follows them. (And then Zues spawns enemies in those trees because he's a jerk).

Comment

Originally posted by Noyava View Post
                            That only works *if* your platoon is filled with a group of like trained individuals already know, due to prior training, and/or experience, how to coordinate that action. Leading trained professionals who all know what to do is easy. Leading a random bunch of disembodied voices inside the artificial communication constraints of arma is a very different scenario.

In the absence of uniform training, the most effective leaders I've seen around here tell specific people, by name, to do specific things. Such as "Noyava, cover north west, up the road."
                            You don't need uniform training for everyone to point their rifles in the same direction. Effective leaders may very well be able to micro-manage, but what I'm trying to say is people don't WANT to micro-manage, thus, finding volunteers to lead can be like pulling teeth.

Like I said, I think of my fire teams, squads, even platoons as chess pieces rather than collections of soldiers. If a need arises for a specific task, I'll give a specific order. Other than that, the team is an extension of the leader. A fire team leader is a rifleman with 3 extra guns shooting whatever he's shooting. Obviously, teams are capable of being more diverse, but you don't always need to complicate things, and I think we rarely do. KISS.

Originally posted by Noyava View Post
                            The way I think it should work is the PL gives orders like "take the hill" but *then* the SL(s) have to give specific clear orders like "move up to the hill from the west, using the tree line to mask your approach. Then smoke the open ground and cross to the rocks." Then the FTLs have to make all that happen while their team follows them. (And then Zues spawns enemies in those trees because he's a jerk).
                            Orders go downhill. SL tells FTL do A, B, and/or C. FTL decides how it's done. Whoever (PL, SL, FTL) is the one leading a group is the one who decides how to do it. If I'm a platoon leader and I tell a squad to take an objective, I don't always know what's leading to that end goal. It's that SL's responsibility to stay frosty and make calls on-the-move.

Comment

Somehow this tangented into a discussion about leadership approaches, complete with comparisons to chess and the jerk that Zues is.

Anyway, great times Tuesday night, I look forward to our next session.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X