Tac Tuesday AAR 4-26-16

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tac Tuesday AAR 4-26-16

Reserved for AAR (sleep Beckons for now)

Tonight was one of the Best TACTICAL Tuesdays I think we have ever played.

I'd like to hear from the following players, even if you just add a few sentences about your experience. This is how we document our adventures and experiences together.

[MENTION=104897]Pale Horseman[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=133272]BadStache[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=138805]Loaffy[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=73096]mmetully[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=126738]Hummel[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=60782]Solo[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=4091]B[/MENTION]

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Re: Tac Tuesday AAR 4-26-16

I was beckoned. I shall answer.

I didn't contribute much earlier in the day, but near the end of the night I logged in to fly -- and that I did.

I came back to the server just in time to hop in a Huron and (attempt to) extract our boys home from the fight. I guess the enemy had AA...

After a painful but relatively short death and no respawn, we all disconnected and rejoined to wait for another mission. It turned out to be a 2-part mission in Syrta: HVT and enemy technology to snag. Since we no longer had a Huron for mass transport, I fell back on the good 'ole Ghosthawk (maybe I planned the whole thing... :'). I dropped the ground team, callsign "Scorpion", into the AO 1 team at a time. 1st team secured the area and gave recon, 2nd team reinforced and pushed, and the 3rd team consisted of many more smaller waves of QRF.

After no JIP players remained, I flew back to friendly airspace, looking for something to do. Upon spotting a Wipeout, freshly serviced and ready to take off, I knew what to do, especially after hearing about trouble with light armor in the area. Roughly 60 seconds later I was taking off and gaining air speed. What followed was an awesome display of patience and professionalism from [MENTION=73096]mmetully[/MENTION]. He was able to effectively communicate targets with me only using text, while in a very target-rich combat zone. Thanks to his designation and ordnance priorities, I was able to drop very very very big bombs onto a very finite space, preventing damage to friendlies and also providing awesome fireworks for new players. Hopefully we left an impression.

I said it before, but I'll say it again: Getting a lock onto a laser designation in the Wipeout or any CAS fixed-wing is a pain in the ass (mainly because I dumb drop my ordnance 200x more often than I use designation and I'm purdy darn good at it), but the extra time and effort it takes to do things semi-professionally and safe is probably worth it, considering how close these bombs were dropping in relevance to our friendlies. I was sweating bullets at some moments during the strike mission.

Long story short, I leveled some buildings and turned some infantry into a very fine pink mist. I had a very good view of the action last night, despite my absence for most of it... Thanks for leading, Dimitrius.

Last edited by Hummel; 04-27-2016, 08:58 AM. Reason: format errors

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
      Reserved for AAR (sleep Beckons for now)

Tonight was one of the Best TACTICAL Tuesdays I think we have ever played.
      "Bah, I say, BAH!" :p

Super glad you guys had a good run, wish I had been able to make it.

Comment

I came in very late as well. I slotted in as a AT soldier. But I was put in charge of about 6 man Blue Team. We moved up into the town from overwatch position. Things were good as we got into a firefight and was winning against some enemy infantry when somebody from my large fireteam set off an IED on the road. Mass cas, and the explosion gained attention of a GMG static weapon. We received relentless grenade barrage until almost everybody in the team was incapacitated. Usually from that situation a seasoned medic would be able to get people up. Even a seasoned non-medic would have made sure the medic was in cover and the recovery process could have been so much faster...

We just had so many new guys not familiar with the revive system and what is important. We had one guy up the whole time simply covering. While I was down, nobody took control and gave orders towards recovery. GMG fired at the same spot continuously and one by one my team died in that spot dragging people into it............ The night was gonna be a long one.

Finally a whole another team came and rescued people. I sensed the frustration of that last wipe as we moved forward. This time we saw the APERS mine as we approached it. I shouted it out, and still somebody triggered it off killed way too many of us... Within a few minutes we had one good firefight and two near wipeouts with a very slow medic. Naturally, I lost multiple people to disconnects.

One thing that hindered was the fact that everybody was in a giant squad restricting out usage of group channel. We only had to use direct channel to communicate. We could hear comms from air, uavs, scout, yellow team and all of it. Dimi seemed to be handling the JIPs more than commanding and moving the team onto the objective. Players simply seemed to be waiting around for some kind of order. Sorry for the criticism.

Now the good:
        After this frustrating experience with two IEDs going off, we went way off road and entered the AO. We started to clear building by building. Out of two objectives Blue team was responsible for completing both of those objectives.

One of the objective was to find a suitcase. After clearning all the buildings I was convinced that we missed it in one of the buildings we cleared earlier. I sent two guys back. Wilco and iantron. I simply said go back and check it again... I was assuming they would take a route that was already cleared... Instead they went into town and got themselved killed taking a route that was not cleared. This was very disappointing. Play for the objective, not the action.

Anyway. A bit ranty AAR. My Tac Tues session yesterday was more frustrating than anything. An AAR is the place to critique and make us better. Of course if some of this is unfounded let me know.

Comment

+1 Can't add to your rep as you have too much from me. Brilliant critique and considerate as well. Hopefully everyone can take a little from it regardless if there or not. You may add me to the list of disconnects for some of these reasons...but I was also extremely tired so couldn't be sure I wasn't just a tad grumpy.
          |TG-189th| Unkl
          ArmA 3 Game Officer
          Dean of Tactical Gamer University
          189th Infantry Brigade Member
          SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
          "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Originally posted by |TG| B View Post
            Anyway. A bit ranty AAR. My Tac Tues session yesterday was more frustrating than anything. An AAR is the place to critique and make us better. Of course if some of this is unfounded let me know.
            You came in at the end of the seven hour long day [MENTION=4091]B[/MENTION] and your assessment is not unfounded at all, it is what you experienced from your point of view. As with all larger JIP filled missions, I prefer a larger squad so I can keep an eye on everyone, we do our best to keep coms to a minimum on group channel, but this broke down with the influx of additional assets, namely UAV, CAS, and a scout(Solosniper).

As in all missions, whether tac tuesday or not, I ran into the same problems any commander runs into during a fun mission, I had no one answer my calls for Fire Team Lead, let alone 2ic or the like so I was forced to focus on many things at once. While I am sure it seemed like you were just standing around, and at some points in the night, that is a fair assessment, I was moving as fast as I could to keep three fireteams, three medics, a UAV operator, a scout, a transport pilot and a Cas asset organized and from my point of view, I didn't do too bad considering I had no help at the command level. My tone is encouraging and not sarcastic here, I enjoyed it, when no one answers you when you ask for help and everyone wants to be a shooter then my options are limited.

Some nights we have a lot of veterans on who want to help us out, You, [MENTION=1882358]LowSpeed[/MENTION], [MENTION=109039]Noyava[/MENTION], [MENTION=6577]experiment626[/MENTION], [MENTION=60782]Solo[/MENTION] or others who actively seek to assit, but last night, I had a bunch of great players, a bunch of JIPs coming in constantly(Which I kept up with) and very few players who were comfortable or ready to step up to lead.

On the topic of JIPs, we had a Lot of great players join last night, it was like every single one was someone who was searching for our type of community and found it last night. We had a pair of players come over from "the 426th" and were obviously right at home on our server and I think that is another positive aspect of our night as well as they stated they want to return with some of their clan mates.

Like you, I do my best, but also like you, I am not beyond the reality of critique, which is we can all be better commanders, decision makers, and examples of leadership.

Thanks B, I genuinely appreciate your response, as always :)

Edit: Mastadon reluctantly stepped up and lead red team at the beginning of our Zues missions and I have to say, he did a great job, also Dylan lead Blue team for about thirty minutes near the end of the night so that was also worth mentioning as well.

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Noyava View Post
              "Bah, I say, BAH!" :p

Super glad you guys had a good run, wish I had been able to make it.
              Missed NOYFOR last night =)

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrius
                We had a pair of players come over from "the 426th"
                It was the 26th, Dimitrius, gosh.

Comment

"Demerit forthcoming" I believe is your phrase =)

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
                    "Demerit forthcoming" I believe is your phrase =)
                    Demerit pending...

Comment

The take away from this is that we must have regulars step up to leadership in order to allow group coms to exist. This makes command channel work the way it is intended. Whenever we are using VON it is essential to group/direct/command channels working.

You don't have to be the best leader in the world but be able to pass on communications. That is not hard to do and the reward is obvious as gameplay is soo much better. If everyone is in the same group you might as well use side channel for all. It becomes a nightmare from the leaders to the grunts.

"I have contacts coming in 300, range 500m", says a player who is 200m to your south. That info is no good without the context of what team that player is on, where their team is in relation to your team, ect...
                      |TG-189th| Unkl
                      ArmA 3 Game Officer
                      Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                      189th Infantry Brigade Member
                      SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                      "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

I have said this before, and I'll repeat again here. Everyone is able to lead, it's just a matter of time. However, it would behoove those regulars to set up an environment to allow them to grow.
                        ProTip: Don't just bark instructions at them, that doesn't work. This isn't a contract. Anyone can press escape and just leave.

Food for thought.
                        Playing easy operations with overwhelming odds in your favour is fun too. Where's the fun in that you ask?
                        You can actually be more tacticool on TacTues starting with the basics. You are allowed more time (that small lull in time) for more tactics (not strategy), hone up on the basics of maneuvers, realise that communication is a key factor, just like winning the fire fight is necessary, allowing the potential leaders to absorb and realise that it's not that hard. Take it slow.

I think next time when I do have the opportunity to Zeus, I'll be more than happy to assist in this 'exercise'.

Keep posting those AARs, its good to read up on what I've missed, and urges me to get online to play with you guys.
                        [MENTION=17278]Dimitrius[/MENTION], I'm waiting for your AAR. Gotta read the leaders perspective too. Don't let [MENTION=126738]Hummel[/MENTION] come in and say his favourite tag line...again.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by Unkl View Post
                          +1 Can't add to your rep as you have too much from me. Brilliant critique and considerate as well. Hopefully everyone can take a little from it regardless if there or not. You may add me to the list of disconnects for some of these reasons...but I was also extremely tired so couldn't be sure I wasn't just a tad grumpy.
                          Well, I know I was performing perfectly. As always, I might add.

Comment

Originally posted by |TG| B View Post

One of the objective was to find a suitcase. After clearning all the buildings I was convinced that we missed it in one of the buildings we cleared earlier. I sent two guys back. Wilco and iantron. I simply said go back and check it again... I was assuming they would take a route that was already cleared... Instead they went into town and got themselved killed taking a route that was not cleared. This was very disappointing. Play for the objective, not the action.
                            In Iantron's defense, the route was my decision, Iantron was just following me. When we started moving from our compound we came under fire from inside town. Instead of risking moving into the open field i opted to use the wall and skirt the edge of town directly to house 1&2. Was going smoothly until I ended up tripping a mine killing us both, then bleeding out while getting dragged to a medic. In retrospect we probably could have doubled back to your compound then went the long way around past building 3 & 4. Oh well, was getting pretty late at that point and got too lax moving in an area already cleared.

Other remarks on the mission, I didn't realize just how long we had spent up on that hill. I stopped counting armor contacts after 4 with multiple "confirmed" kill on them, only to start getting blasted again by GMG/HMG after each PCML fired. At one point i was going to suggest we push up through the trees to the left of the hill (west?) to close in on town, but someone fired a PCML that deeply offended a GMG and killed me(first bleed out of the night). By the time i rejoined the group, Solo had already moved that way and B was organizing a group to move the other way up the road.

Once CAS got rolling though it had quieted down considerably. I remarked to Hummel last night in the debrief that he had dropped ordnance directly on the other side of a building from Blue team at one point that probably avoided BoB from the fact that most of Blue was already down at the time. It bought us some silence from the enemy long enough to revive the rest of the team. It's always a pleasure to have someone in the air to remove some of the more dug in targets like the Static GMG that wiped out Blue.

Dimitrius did well leading considering it seems we had a new JIP every time he got the previous one squared away. It made for a pretty long down time with lots of radio chatter, but honestly i feel his way of introductions are really the best at keeping the ones that want to be apart of a team and weeding out the ones that need to leave.

I have had fun and i have been enjoying playing with you guys. Thanks for the games.

Comment

[MENTION=4091]|TG| B[/MENTION]
                              "Play for the objective not the action"

I remember this moment very clearly and your criticism is not fair. I can't speak for Wilco but it seemed to me at the time that the safest option was to move along the stone wall at the edge of town rather than use the path we has taken before. I can understand why this may have been a tactical error, but it had nothing to do with my motivations.

If we can keep the criticism here directed towards the tactics and not the players, I think the whole exercise will be more productive.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X