Credit Due and frustration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Due and frustration

This evening Rabbit, Ninja and Wilco were in my fireteam when we were taking Negrades. They died because enemies were spawning behind us because I believe the logistics module for ALIVE is configured for re-enforcements. I may be wrong here, but something was off and the amount of preparation we put into our approach, the way we held off overwhelming odds, and the psychic enemy we managed to push back does not add up to a fair fight.

Ninja, Wilco And Rabbit did a Spectacular job in Charlie and I have no words to describe my frustration in seeing them killed by an enemy who popped up in a closed alley, behind us, while Wilco was trying to get me up after another enemy had just clipped through a wall and shot us.

They deserved to make it all the way to the hostage and they would have, I absolutely believe they, and we, would have.

This evening had lots of high points, but I cannot believe it ended the way it did.

Very frustrating.

Excellent organization on B's command and great flight from Hummel and UNKL.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Re: Credit Due and frustration

It was nearly complete actually, you guys did an awesome job at fighting your way in.

Few things to consider; OPFOR did not have NVGs. To offset that I've placed another squad sized infantry in your AO. You guys were literally shooting fish in a barrel.
    Despite what you may believe, they weren't placed behind you, you happened to run into them as you guys were bouncing from building to building. I saw them move towards you guys from the walled courtyard and engage at very close range. Probably due to their lack of NVGs. Remember how the AI reacts? they tend to take a wide flank and sometimes they manage to tap your six.

What you may have seen just prior to your disconnect, I spawned as CSAT Medic in hope to revive you guys or at least stabilize you folks. That could be what you may have been frustrated with, seeing a sudden teleported CSAT "AI" spawn behind you. Other than that, I really don't think any AIs were placed any place where you guys cleared, or semi-cleared en route.
    Let's not forget that in this particular op. You guys had 2 OPFOR players. They kept your heads down at times and you guys dished them back.
    There was a point, that made me think that these two OPFOR guys are too good and may upset some in the game. But the ball was already in motion, I couldn't step in and give them the lightening bolt.

Honestly, you guys were too damn good. I was almost worried that the mission would end in 15-20mins when the first fire fight was seen from 'god view'.

Prior to this Rescue mission. Hummel as the Squad leader did an excellent job of it. Started as a small fireteam element leader to quickly expanding up to a squad leader. His team took out the three static AAAs as per the task, and the target of opportunity enroute to it.
    It was methodical, deliberate, and joy to watch the whole team maneuver into objectives and at times listening to their direct chat was music to my ears. This one caught my attention out of all. B, "requesting permission to assault that shooter". Hummel, "Roger, envelope left and we will cover". Bang bang, the AI was suppressed and the assaulting element cleared it, text book.

Great mission this evening with the new toys, hopefully everyone got to enjoy something different tonight.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Thank you.

Shortly after we held a defense mission wherein I was shot down in an A-10 because multiple enemy AA vehicles spawned below me during a gun run. I don't think it's just you.

EDIT: Just saw Low's post. I still feel as though AA vehicles spawned underneath me. One minute, they did not appear on my radar or on my HUD while I was approaching to use guns, and the next, I'm being hit from multiple angles.

Another note, the A-10 in CUP apparently doesn't have a functional damage indicator. That, or I took damage too quickly to notice. Will look at it closer in editor.

Comment

[MENTION=126738]Hummel[/MENTION],
        No I've placed them there whilst you RTB'd to rearm. Cause you're too darn effective with that A10. You took out my initial reinforcements before they even left their 'spawn' area, c'mon man. Let them crash into a rock or something first.

FYI, those multiple AA vehicles were Shilkas, meaning manageable in ARMA terms.
        But what really got you were the overwhelming volley of fires towards your craft from the ground via light armour, to main battle tanks in the AO you flew over. I saw enough tracers in the air to not need blastcore effects of tracers saying hello.

Great flying Hummel and great leading tonight.

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
          It was nearly complete actually, you guys did an awesome job at fighting your way in.

What you may have seen just prior to your disconnect, I spawned as CSAT Medic in hope to revive you guys or at least stabilize you folks. That could be what you may have been frustrated with, seeing a sudden teleported CSAT "AI" spawn behind you...
          I've cooled down now and can think about this with a calmer mind.

**This all assumes the ALiVE Framework was utilized on these missions**

The enemy that spawned behind Wilco, shot him and killed him as he was reviving me. That enemy then walked up to the corner, looked over at the wounded Ninja, who was just killed by a clipping enemy, and then proceeded to shoot him randomly in a random fashion the way I have seen enemies do before.

Noyava and Frodo have a signature to their movements, tactics, and execution of said tactics and movements. This was all Ai. One minute later as I lie there in disbelief, You ported to that same alley right after Frodo had made his way to us in CSAT gear and revived us. By that point I was beyond livid, mostly at feeling like I completely wasted Wilco, Rabbit and Ninjas time. This was 100% AI and I am suspecting the CQB module in Alive. I have been playing around with it quite a bit and if I am wrong then I do not know where that enemy came from but I know what I saw. I can forgive an enemy that snuck up on our exposed six, but seeing the AI appear out of nowhere and act like an AI really pushed me through anger. I saw you teleport to a spot not too far away after that fact, but the soldier that shot wilco teleported there instantly.

I do not believe it was Zues(You), NOYFOR, or FRODOFOR. =)

Aside from that, you're right on your assessment of the previous mission. Hummel did a great job leading infantry and communicating his expectations with fluency.

As with all games, there will be good games and there will be bad games.

Rabbit, Ninja and Wilco, I am sorry I could not save you.

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

There is no Alive modules in that mission.
            Last edited by Unkl; 05-04-2016, 09:49 AM.
            |TG-189th| Unkl
            ArmA 3 Game Officer
            Dean of Tactical Gamer University
            189th Infantry Brigade Member
            SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
            "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

I blame low speed :)

Eh it was a fun night regardless.

J/k low. Thanks for zeusing.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

[MENTION=126738]Hummel[/MENTION],
                No I've placed them there whilst you RTB'd to rearm.
                That may be, but I didn't see a lot of those radar contacts until I was already committed. One rule I fly by in the CAS role is I never EVER commit to an attack unless I'm 100% certain I'm safe. I assessed the enemy ground assets from the air for a couple minutes and finally came in for the gun run. It wasn't until I was ready to egress when I started taking volleys of fire. It might be the fact that they were hidden by trees that prevented me from seeing them on my radar.

In any case, this just further illustrates the importance of clear, concise, and frequent communication between ground teams and friendly CAS, which would have been useful last light when I was taking a lot of fire and didn't realize it until I was no longer air worthy.

Fun night, thanks to senior leadership and mission makers.

P.S. I thought it'd be amusing to mention that on my way to rearm, I dodged 3 ground-to-air AA missiles without flares... LOL.

Comment

Here is my AAR on the hostage mission:

Frodo and Myself had captured BadStache, BluFor Medic, when his team left him behind after destroying our AAA emplacements. Our command element (Zues) ordered us to take the hostage and flee west to a town of our choosing and prepare to stop any attempt at rescue. We made it to the town of Negedas, and found the one house in Altis with a chair. We let the hostage have the chair, but only because it was right near the stereo playing Frodo's Bieber album collection on repeat.

While we waited for BluFor we planted a forest of land mines and explosives in the ring of houses around the hostage site. Our AI allies were not very attentive to our mine placements, and detonated more than a few of them.

After waiting for DAYS with no sign of the enemy - no doubt a intentional tactic by he nefarious BluFor, who cared nothing for the suffering of poor BadStache - we decided to have Frodo go up the mountain to scout. Finally the enemy was spotted to the north.

Being a poorly trained, very bored, soldier I started firing my gold plated AK at enemies 700m away in the dark. I have doubts anyone was even aware I was firing at them, but I felt like I was doing something!

The enemy fell right into my map trap. They dispatched a team to a Global channel marker that said "hostage building", and the avoided the wooded areas I marked as "Mines". Being a total jerk, there were no mines near the markers. All the real mines were around the actual hostage, and were not marked. That last block was going to be messy.

BluFor had to engage and deal with our AI allies first. I couldn't see any of this action, just sat by my window and listened to the gun fire move ever closer. Eventually I saw a blufor solider down the road to my east! He was visible in a small space between the corners of two buildings I waited till he settled to scan his sector, then unloaded my magazine in his general direction. He went down, as did his friend who came to rescue him. I killed a lot of BluFor that kept sticking their heads into that space. It was amazing how many people are willing to stand right in the blood puddle of their friends!

The enemy got within 100m of our house when the mission was called. They didn't run into my landlines, or my explosive charges. The entire row of houses across the street to the north of the hostage site had been wired with two charges each. I managed to NOT accidentally click "detonate 12 charges" the entire game and for nothing! :(

Lessons learned:
                  - A Golden AK with no flash guard at night is really hard to make follow on shots with.
                  - Plant your explosives further away
                  - OpFor lies on the map.
                  - Hostages are tricky - pretty sure BadStache stole a land mine from our box and was waiting for a chance to blow me up :)

Comment

Originally posted by Hummel View Post
                    In any case, this just further illustrates the importance of clear, concise, and frequent communication between ground teams and friendly CAS, which would have been useful last light when I was taking a lot of fire and didn't realize it until I was no longer air worthy.
                    I was leading the ground team during the castle defense. I didn't even realize we had CAS until we were in the field, consequently I didn't have a long range radio, so my ability to communicate with you was poor. We also had enemies coming in from every direction. Keeping our AT assets and ARs in good positions was about all I could manage. I really need to practice CAS communication, it is a massive hole in my ArmA leadership skills.

Comment

It is also not an easy thing to plan for, execute, and maintain when you are the only leader, regardless of squad size. In my experience, this neccessitates the need for a FAC or just a Guy-who-directs-the-bomb-dropping-guy-in-the-air. When we have event missions and there is more than twenty minutes to plan, then things may go differently. There is also the fact that it takes a lot of concentration to go through the steps of even abbreviated FAC-to-pilot communication and even though I know you can dodge bullets, direct fireteams, help medics, and keep your wits about you, with the best of them, it is still a taxing job.

I see no failure in your leadership skills Noyava.

...unless you are playing NOYFOR in which case any and all failures of leadership are welcome in that case. :D

Hummel, lets talk FAC and JTAC language sometime soon. I think we started to recently but either you or I got pulled away.

This may be a great oppotunity for TGU in fact. Paging Dr. [MENTION=1882358]LowSpeed[/MENTION]

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

[MENTION=126738]Hummel[/MENTION]
                        After I've placed the shilkas. They decided to drive to where ever they wanted to go, not needed. So I've manually siphoned their fuel tank. Ergo, it would not be picked up by your made in China radar. :)

JTAC course? Hmm. For now the graphics that I've placed should be quite straight forward. (Read them in order) It's been stripped down to bare minimum for effective control & safety. The trick is to stick by the TTP of the TGU materials. Nothing more, but some less.
                        [MENTION=17278]Dimitrius[/MENTION], I'm willing to take the blame. As long as I get to play the Greek god. :)

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Comment

[MENTION=126738]Hummel[/MENTION]
                          After I've placed the shilkas. They decided to drive to where ever they wanted to go, not needed. So I've manually siphoned their fuel tank. Ergo, it would not be picked up by your made in China radar. :)
                          Vehicles still show on the radar even with Engines turned off as a Gray square/triangle, as that color is dedicated only to vehicles with Engines off. If the map had civilian vehicles all over the place including military vehicles turned off... that may be more of a problem but I guess this mission wasn't that way.

-All we need is to get pilots and JTACs to read those TTPs and then slot in respectively, then they can talk how ever much they like in a seperate TFR channel. Done. I fly sometimes, but when I want to do a JTAC slot we apparently don't have or need CAS.
                          Last edited by Xorilliz; 05-04-2016, 04:03 PM. Reason: -
                          - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Comment

[MENTION=52868]Xorilliz[/MENTION], by all means encourage your 'controller' to practice the TGU methods. It will only get easier and used if both parties are using it.
                            Separate channel for JTAC would be ideal, I'll leave that up to our bright and upcoming CO's to choose. You need to be online more!

I liked [MENTION=109039]Noyava[/MENTION] 's AAR. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X