Red Hawk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [AAR] Red Hawk

I proposed a vanilla event with real failure conditions with limited assets and supplies to the admin team after a night of low FPS and subpar gameplay out of frustration mostly. I retracted my proposal the day after, but the admin team was very much in favor of it. So I went ahead and did the work. I am kind of a realist when it comes to the Arma gameplay. I want everything, including air strikes, supply drops to be done by a human player. I do not like AI friendlies and automation of any kind. I would rather make people drive ATVs instead of them being able to teleport around. I am also a minimalist in Arma mission dev. Adding only the bare minimum to a mission to keep the performance high. The revive script does not use any custom User Interface and uses all BIS commands, in one sqf file.

It was me who first introduced Arsenal in a mission to TG when BIS first released it. I remember it clearly that people did not like this new arsenal technology when we first tried it. They could not figure out how to get more ammo from it and even expressed frustration. Now we have arsenal everywhere. Being somewhat of a realist I would rather have limited amount of ammo instead of unlimited virtual arsenal. Even I spend hours figuring out how to limit and restrict arsenals.

Now vanilla VON has been getting some much overdue updates in the recent patches. I have expressed my feelings towards TFAR on more than a few occasions and I also wanted to champion for vanilla gameplay with this mission.

Another thing is that I get great FPS in vanilla. I think Chief said he was getting 72 FPS in this mission. Scripted and modded missions are developed with computers that are more powerful than my aging computer and as a result I suffer less than optimal performance on these missions.

I would like to thank those who showed and took part in the event. One thing that was kind of disappointing was the turnout and the sign up for this vanilla event. I dunno if it is because it was a vanilla event. We declare large events and always fall short in attendance. I am thinking we should declare smaller and smaller events.

Anyway, I wanted to share my motivations and thoughts on why this event was hosted and it might have turned into a ramble.

All in all, undermanned and against the failure conditions, we succeeded in completing all the objectives including the optional ones under 2 hours and 30 minutes. We have not lost our armor and used it to assassinate the officer from afar. I think the casualty number was 4-6 or so.

Re: Red Hawk

Good stuff and a great mission.

I was the Marshall APC gunner while Trace was my driver and vehicle commander. With only the two of us and no vehicle commander while being in the same Group as an entire squad and our platoon leader, we suffered greatly from not being able to hear each other a lot of times and we got lucky not to get killed here and there, but we were effective and placed in good spots not considering the limited visiblity to our rear as we lacked a crewman in our seats.

The squads seemed to do great from what I saw, B even saved our marshall when we were exiting the first town by killing an enemy AT. An APC just can't rely on itself in urban environements.

I liked the focus on performance and there was still a good amount of enemy ai - I am confused as to how people did get so good fps.
    - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Comment

Hello B,

"I would like to thank those who showed and took part in the event. One thing that was kind of disappointing was the turnout and the sign up for this vanilla event. I dunno if it is because it was a vanilla event. We declare large events and always fall short in attendance. I am thinking we should declare smaller and smaller events."

I don't think to my understanding, at least. The turn out was solely due to the non-mod aspect. For me it was just not possible on the day, I didn't get home hours after the event started.

As for your methods and the means for your missions. They are fine as they are, in terms of reducing FPS. I am on the same boat with you with PC performance. Simpler the better, specially within the mission scripting. I know now, where you are with the TFAR mod. I'm quite comfortable with it, personally. It's just that I don't have to learn new keybinds to allocate to various channels that we use. If we were to discard TFAR, so be it. If that will positively bring in new players. The greater good, the long game. We should think ahead.
      Great points, B. Thanks for your missions and keep those missions coming!

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I am limited for time so I'll keep comments directed towards the attendance. There were three things that hindered this missions attendance in my view.

1) It's early June, who isn't busy with taking care of things outside, away from school, or still getting ready for exams, or the office losing 1/4 of it's staff on early vacations already....for a lot of reasons it's just a nutso busy time of year. Most of us have "free" time with a million things to do with it!

2) Sign ups were posted only 2 weeks prior. It usually takes about a week for word to start to get around. Then a week for the talk among players to start to turn into sign ups. That third week is where you really get the ball rolling.

3) Mission commander needed to be picked earlier. I had hoped for one more leadership candidate so we could solve the issue that came up (SL acting as PL and FTL at the same time) but we just didn't seem to get anyone. Then work went berserk on me and this is the ball I had to drop. So it truly is my fault that we didn't have the FRAGO from the mission leader which would also generate more interest and spur sign ups. You may also blame a script kiddie from the RU for taking all my game energy last week...that event was nothing to do with TG. B had picked a leader earlier the week prior and Dimitrius kindly stepped into that position at the 11th hour just as B had suggested.

We need to be looking out 4-5 weeks when we plan events. It takes that long for the group at large to get organized around them. When we decide on a date that works for other events, admin timing, and other factors...then the post goes up at least 4 weeks prior the event. 2 weeks only for sign ups = short changing the event.
        |TG-189th| Unkl
        ArmA 3 Game Officer
        Dean of Tactical Gamer University
        189th Infantry Brigade Member
        SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
        "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

It was a fun mission, despite the limiting communication tools we have at our disposal. As for FPS, that is a combination of many things and I do not think light scripts or TFAR will have a major effect on your FPS. I cannot prove this, but I would imagine it is more than likely your hardware. IF we are talking highly advanced, Highly scripted missions like MSO or Domination even, then I can get behind that logic. I work the editor and I script where necessary and the results of our missions are similar. People enjoy playing them, though I am not sure the size of the mission offered has anything to do with the amount of people signing up.

There is another discussion to be had on that topic.

I do not like VON for many reasons, I will save those and put forth this one deal-breaking limitation of VON. I cannot accept that direct communication is tied to the effects volume. So I am stuck with two choices. I eternally have ear plugs in my ears, or I turn down sound effects so that I am not constantly deafened by all things environmental within arma. Coupled with the fact that we still have issues communicating effectively with the VON infrastructure, it is less than a satisfying experience in this gamers opinion. I like the increase in audio integrity, but that doesn't change the fact that I am constantly having to switch between channels. Not everyone enjoys the ''Well just map each channel to a different key'' solution. We can leave that conversation for another day though.

I had a good time, even though I started having PC issues just a few moments into objective 3. There was more than enough ammo to go around and our tasks were difficult to accomplish given the terrain we were operating on. UNKLs team did a great job on the western rim of the valley that we started the assault in, and Xor and Trace operated the Marshal expertly. There was a moment when B basically assassinated an OPFOR AT soldier taking aim at their side, so aside from that close call, the Marshal operated effectively, safely, and with the kind of patience I would expect from anyone sitting inside of a Rocket Target.

Man those UGVs are deadly and hard to see when looking downslope. There were a few times when they wiped quite a few players from a distance of 70-100 meters.
          Last edited by Dimitrius; 06-07-2016, 01:11 PM.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Unkl View Post
            2) Sign ups were posted only 2 weeks prior. It usually takes about a week for word to start to get around. Then a week for the talk among players to start to turn into sign ups. That third week is where you really get the ball rolling.
            I agree. I almost wasn't able to get time off to make it because of such short notice. I'd be fine if it was at least 3 weeks notice.

As for VON, I also agree with what Dimitrius said about the volume of direct channel. There were times when I was trying to relay crucial information to him and he couldn't hear me even though I was right next to him. Personally I don't see why we didn't use TFAR for this mission, it's much more versatile and better quality than VON. As a plus there's no performance hit that I'm aware of, but I could be wrong.

There were at LEAST two times when I was trying to call out a contact that was looking straight at us, and no one could hear me. Unnacceptable if you ask me. It was still a good mission, shame I had to leave early. I'm still shopping for a new cooling unit.

EDIT: A note I forgot to mention, it was very irritating to hear random strings of conversation on TS when it didn't apply to everyone, another example of why we should have used TFAR. Many times people used TS when they could have used vehicle channel and saved on the chatter.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X