AAR Hearts and Minds Thursday 3-2-17 COMBAT PATROL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAR Hearts and Minds Thursday 3-2-17 COMBAT PATROL

Yesterday we did a bunch of missions on Hearts and Minds and concluded the evening with a combat patrol. We created a 4 vehicle convoy and took off from base with the intention of driving all the way to Kavala, which we accomplished. Along the way we encountered and disarmed multiple IEDs, ambushed and Was ambushed by ~50 OPFOR and neutralized sevaral outposts.. We were able to use our engineer, medic, and riflemen efficiently and despite a few hiccups, the overall feeling was positive.

If anyone was on last night, what did you think about the Combat Patrol?
    Last edited by Dimitrius; 03-03-2017, 09:38 AM.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

I did a hostage rescue mission with Frodo commanding last night during the hour I had free. We inserted by Helicopter (and then rented some used HMMWVS from Joe's Surplus Army Supply because DMZ Scout 's M240 and my M32 were really heavy and walking is hard). We approached the town, swept through in Line formation and quickly found the hostile compound. As we came under fire I took cover behind a a small 1 room building and a man inside started spraying bullets at all my squad mates to my right. I pulled out my trusty Glock (because clearing a building with an M32 is fun but the medic said they wouldn't help me again if I kept that up) and took down the machine gunner and his associate in the room in rapid succession. Amazingly the hostage knew how to dodge and I avoided hitting him. Mission accomplished!

Comment

I think we need to open the rear door of the "bearcat?" every time we dismount or it's going to rust :). Takes a lot of time for everyone to get out one by one opening and closing it haha.

Next time we assign a Heavy weapons role I would love to be the assistant so it won't happen like it did when Frodo was leading, the whole squad got bogged down. My weight was 24kg as assigned Grenadier, Noyava's was I think nearly 50kg as M32 Grenadier with 70x 40mm, and he was still not the first one in the column to start walking due to fatigue. ACE3's advanced fatigue system is a major improvement over both vanilla and ACE2 and to anyone interested it's described here: https://ace3mod.com/wiki/feature/advanced-fatigue.html. I can run for longer than in vanilla with my fireteam role gear and when I jog with my weapon down (14 kph) I actually gain stamina.

I loved the combat patrol. Unexpected battles all the time instead of chasing the enemy down with tasks and intel already made up. We die a lot more during town patrols than we do when we take down caches, hideouts and the like. Logistics was problematic but we just gotta add a pilot in to the mix instead.
      - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Comment

Good stuff. I liked to coordination and control of roles/responsibilities by Command to personnel. I thought the contact was steady, not overwhelming and well handled. In terms of mission planning and with regards to other forum topic for Load Outs, I think there were some good examples how the loadouts factor in the mission goal and commanders intent.

The hostage rescue I believe had little pre-deployment intelligence about enemy size, strength and capability. With little to go on in terms of the number of enemy infantry, armor and disposition, command covered all his bases with the Air Mobile assault by ensuring the squad had heavy weapons (M32, M240, AT4?). We inserted at an LZ a bit of distance from the AO which was a good measure in terms of force protection since the AA threat was unknown as well. The Light Infantry/Air Mobile unit started the long hump to the OBJ and quickly were reminded that Light Infantry is anything but light. The heavy weapons forced the element to move slower and required several security halts so that we could maintain combat effectiveness and not be 'smoked' while trying to react to chance contact. The movement was also slowed by the IEDs found along the route of travel. In the end good command and control and the acquisition of key motorized assets got us to the OBJ. The hostage was rescue successfully and from where I stood, the gun battles sounded like close tough fight but we prevailed.

The combat patrol was a good time. Dimitrius did a good job at keeping the convoy together. I appreciated his command presence that included a lack of micro-managing every move of each individual. Teams were given a general area to clear during halts in towns and we went about our business and cleared areas as required and then me and Xorilliz were blown up by suicide bomber. LowSpeedHighDrag took care of casualties however Xor was plastered over the area so I believe he had to respawn?. Never mind though, because the next time we ran into a suicide bomber, Xorilliz was money and dropped that dude like a bad habit with his 'cat-like' reflexes and superior marksmanship.

The contacts during the combat patrol were challenging but not overwhelming and were dealt with by some pretty good fire and maneuver. Experienced some close quarters street combat that Bond679 and I were able to survive. The highlight for me was the hasty ambush we sprung on advancing squad sized element at some point. Dimi had us set-up in a nearby commercial garage and given the leeway to pick a spot that provided so elevation and separate angle on the advancing enemy, I set-up the 240 on the second floor two story dwelling facing the road and the route of the enemy advance. They key was Dimi control and the elements patience while waiting for the right time to spring the ambush. I wanted to fire sooner but int the Dimi's patience prevailed and when laid into them as they formed up in a gaggle/wedge on the road. It was pretty close to L-shaped ambush the poor bastards on the receiving end I believe never had the chance to fire a return shot.

Great group of players and fun times. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Xorilliz View Post
          I loved the combat patrol. Unexpected battles all the time instead of chasing the enemy down with tasks and intel already made up. We die a lot more during town patrols than we do when we take down caches, hideouts and the like. Logistics was problematic but we just gotta add a pilot in to the mix instead.
          I agree, CPs are a way to mix it up if you ask me. Here is something I was thinking of this morning while I was making coffee. We have Base, The Convoy, and the Objective-based teams. The convoy itself creeps along the map, marking and destroying IEDS, clearing towns gaining evidence, and the Objective Based Teams will constantly be on the move between side missions, hideouts, and OBJS.

We would need an air element too, for resupply, but since we do not have a mobile re-spawn, the convoy would be our mobile resupply and would almost always be closer to the obj-based team than the base would.

I think there is potential for some pretty good combined ops here.

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by DMZ Scout View Post
            me and Xorilliz were blown up by suicide bomber. LowSpeedHighDrag took care of casualties however Xor was plastered over the area so I believe he had to respawn?.
            I was actually with Bond at the time if it was in Zaros as I was questioning civilians on the other side of the street. I personally didn't know what to do at the time if I should go back and help or keep checking these other nearby civilians incase they have explosives too. Bombers are nasty, I keep finding them running out of doorways or around corners of Buildings with charges strapped. Or I am caught trying to access my self interaction menu to use the Stop/Get down command. I rarely have the time in urban environments to see if they have charges or not so I rely mostly on if they yell out at me lol.

sigpic

Comment

Had a blast trying out the ACE mod, and the other goodies. What I like to see are the ability to respawn destroyed vehicles at base (for griefers), and Pathfinders having access to Zeus in the absence of Admins. Possibility of adding CHVD option if able (everyone mentioned fps drops many times)
              Beyond that, this is a great load and go mission. Looking forward to more of it.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

What are people's thoughts toward pre-made loadouts for his mission? Instead of an arsenal we redo roles with specific kits and you can get ammo from the resupply system already in place? The officer can spawn a big ol' box of ammo anytime at base. That way we could use the go out and patrol mechanics of this mission with the TGU preferred FireTeam structures outlined in all the TGU manuals.

I feel this would address the 20-30 minutes spent browsing the arsenal and frankly does it really matter THAT much if you get an M4A1 vs an M4A1 PIP? :)

Comment

Originally posted by Noyava View Post
                  What are people's thoughts toward pre-made loadouts for his mission?
                  I support this notion, Noyava, can you also limit all weapons to iron sights too?

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Here is my humble but accurate opinion on the matter :

https://youtu.be/_YBkaopyD5Q

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
                      Possibility of adding CHVD option if able (everyone mentioned fps drops many times)
                      ACE3 View Distance Limiter in ACE options (default 1500m?). I'll sum up all the basic and advanced knowledge requirements into a post some time.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bond679 View Post
                        Here is my humble but accurate opinion on the matter :

https://youtu.be/_YBkaopyD5Q
                        Very cool Bond. The ending made me lol

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Xorilliz I've dropped everything to 1000, with low objects settings (40%). As for ACE documentation, I think a link would suffice. We currently don't play this mod enough on a daily basis to practice, or learn by doing.

Whilst I am for the limited load out etc etc at start. We are actually missing the main point of having a mod. That is allowing the players and the leaders to be flexible in their approach in eating that elephant in the room.
                          Limit it too much and we might as well just play ARMA3 stock.

​​​​​​

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X