Aar - scorpion ops poison arrow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aar - scorpion ops poison arrow

Hello everyone, I wanted to get the AAR going for the saturday mission while it was fresh on my mind.

It was a good time that saw a lot of us coming together for a weekend adventure through Kunduz and I was able to employ the AI infrastructure of ALIVE.

Few things to get out in front of. The medical system for ACE and one of the functions that I used in the mission conflicted with each other and put us in a very difficult place. While ACE Wounds was active, the vanilla system still maintained control of the experience and we were unable to utilize FACS and MEDKITS which left us with very little for the medics to do and a bit of frustration for the team at large. Thanks to B and Unkl for their efforts to fix the issue mid mission. Even though we couldn't restore the ACE side of things, they were able to add a heal option mid mission that seems to have sufficed.

The mission itself was well lead by HotDogSymmetry and I was glad to see players utilizing the tools and equipment I had chosen for this mission. I was with B_Wilco , mmetully Hotdog, and @Eliphas in command element and we followed the Scorpion squad providing what assistance we could. NaomiLynn , Fireforeffect, and browna3, and Wray lead the squads and we came in to quite a bit of contact.

I was doing my best to compensate for some of the equiopment failures with Zues and for some reason the Quads stopped respawning after the first four were used.

I am interested in your feedback whether good or bad, despite the issues we had with the healing system, I'm hoping to hear what your experience was like.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

I felt it was a very solid experience overall. With elaborate missions such as this one I felt it was organized well. As with anything, planning, strategy or tactics, when you add the human element, you're always going to get an interesting outcome.

I felt the leadership was spot on. You all kept control of your teams and from what I could tell from my perspective, everyone was there to play. I was with browna3 and he did a good job a relaying information from the command element to the operators of his group. Anytime you're in a group and take casualties, as we did, combined with some of the ACE wounds issues, things can go to hell in a hand basket, but the team stuck together, waited for members to return from respawn, and pushed forward. Everyone worked well together in Scorpion 1 and outside some unforeseen fatalities, I felt it went very well.

Some personal gripes, that really are neither here nor there, as I tend to play these missions accepting the realism of an equipment loadout, but I couldn't stand the scope on my M4. Due to the optic not being centered above the front iron sight it makes aiming at targets accurately quit difficult. Any shot past 75m the front sight obscures the target and you start guessing where your rounds are going as you can't see them impact, nor can you see the target's reaction to those incoming rounds (i.e. hit, miss, change of direction etc.). Also, the sight is not zeroed above the front iron sight and as such you are blind firing at your red dot zero point through that front site as well. We adapted and overcame, but still, for a guy who attempts to be accurate, its jolting to obscure your target before shooting. But like I said, considering realism, and the fact you'd use what the military gave you at the time, rub some dirt on it and cowboy up.

A consideration instead of quads or as an addition to quads, is to potentially have a helicopter available to ferry troops back to the front. I know some people would love to get on the controls and move troops back and forth. For some, this is boring, but for others, the fast in, tight landings, and fast out is something the really enjoy more than blowing things up. This may alleviate some respawn issues in the future. Granted, it comes with it's own set of challenges as well if one goes down, but it could always be an added element to an already exciting mission.

The objectives were clear and well thought out. I found my deaths were due to my own fault. The classic loss of situational awareness combined with a bit of tunnel vision later in the mission cost me. Then, assuming, (making an "ass" out of "u" and "me") that the roads were clear to our position at the HVT cost me as well. Lesson learned, always be turned on and ready to roll.

Again, excellent mission design. Thanks to all who designed and edited it. Also, thanks to TG leaders and members for hosting. Was a lot of fun and am hoping to participate in another.\

Cheers!

Comment

I had a great time on this mission. Slotted in as an operator with NaomiLynn as squad lead in Scorpion 2. Had a pretty good team indeed as we dispatched many an enemy in CQB combat. The mission came in over 4 hours to complete which was a little longer than I was prepared for but it was good.

The action was chaotic at times as it was clear that leadership was struggling with some of the logistic problems associated with the medical system. That and adding ACE back in caused many a medical emergency as bad frags became pretty common lol. So this is partly why we also had decided to not switch back and forth with ACE on and off. But, all in all it was a great time. In hindsight, I should have insisted that we just remove it altogether from the mission but just didn't feel like being the hammer on that. Lesson learned.

We should have gotten into the habit of putting a map marker in group each time we left the vehicle because the maze of compounds we kept navigating kept us from keeping good track of our vehicle assets. But still we were able to deal. I am surprised that we didn't use more breaching charges for entry into these compounds and instead used the ladders which made it difficult to breach with a degree of control. Still, we got lucky and only got injured due to the large jumps from the high walls into the compounds. So great placement points of those ladders did wonders on the entries.

Keeping our team focused and together proved to be difficult and I could feel NaomiLynn's apprehension on being too strict with players not keeping to the CQB discipline. You know on event missions we EXPECT that this level of teamwork is taken up a notch and so it is good for leaders to take a strong hand when the chaos threatens the teamwork. Admins are standing by to deal with this. Word to the wise....if an admin asks you to return to your team, I can guarantee that the wrong answer starts with, "I'm just going to....".

The route we took did circumvent the road blocks and provided a great approach for the teams onto the objectives. This also may have been communicated more clearly to fire team members who found themselves attempting to drive up the road to catch up as reinforcements (respawns). They apparently ran smack into enemy ambushes at these points.

Some of this planning communication could have been cut short due to my own fault of not having had the chance to update the mod set on the server prior the event and we got underway about 10 minutes late. My apologies, we were short admins in the later part of the week and RL was kinda being real lol.

We also had enemies left behind us in compounds as well. I don't know if this was because of moving past areas that were not our objective compounds or if the enemy had a tunnel network. Regardless, it kept us on our toes and needing a 360 at all times.

I'd like to see a rework of this mission done up with RHS and removing the ALiVE and ACE components. It could be pretty cool on regular rotation and perhaps reduce the number of objectives to bring it down to a two hour limit. I think it is well worth the effort.

Kunduz is a great terrain because of the complexity of those compounds. They are difficult to enter and are a much more worthy challenge than the stock compounds we get with other maps. I'm kinda thinking we might think about adding Kunduz to our set of terrains. I dunno....
      |TG-189th| Unkl
      ArmA 3 Game Officer
      Dean of Tactical Gamer University
      189th Infantry Brigade Member

SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN

Comment

Originally posted by Unkl View Post
        I should have insisted that we just remove it altogether from the mission but just didn't feel like being the hammer on that. Lesson learned.
        The only reason I put ACE in the mission was for the CNTL + SPACEBAR feature, which over rides the broken door system in Kunduz. While I like Kunduz as a terrain, that one broken aspect of the map is really Really hard to ignore. I actually tried to make the mission despite it, but there was no easy way to avoid doors in any scenario.

There is a multiplayer system object, called Open Doors. Do you remember when we were first testing ALIVE and I thought the framework was taking the mission several minutes to load? It turned out to be that door open object, causes major problems in multiplayer games.

Maybe a script would address it, but then, it would only open doors, which would then not be able to be closed.

Thank you for your feedback. My next event mission will not be on Kunduz until the map maker releases an updated version.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Ah nuts on that door problem. Hmmm gives me another idea though....
          |TG-189th| Unkl
          ArmA 3 Game Officer
          Dean of Tactical Gamer University
          189th Infantry Brigade Member

SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse