Coop Session AAR / Jan 21, 2007 / Air Cavalry Co-30 v2.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coop Session AAR / Jan 21, 2007 / Air Cavalry Co-30 v2.0

Yesterday, a small group of us (PanzerHans, BHack, Evil Koala, myself, and later ST!NG) decided to check out v2.0 of this mission. We discovered that there are quite a few new features to enjoy, including variable weather, selectable time of insertion, and new objectives to complete. We opted for insertion at Noon on an overcast day.

Initially, PanzerHans, BHack, and I parachuted into the canyon south of Benoma (a small town northeast of Bagango on the North Island). Our mission was to ambush an armor column inbound from Pita (a small town on the eastern coast of the North Island). BHack was killed right off the bat somehow, so he decided to spawn at the Paraiso Airport with Evil Koala. The two of them began to engage and eliminate the anti-air batteries spread throughout the South Island, the completion of which would give them access to AH-1s.

Meanwhile, PanzerHans and I set up our ambush at a chokepoint in the canyon using mines and satchel charges. Our plan was to clog the chokepoint with destroyed armor and then finish off the remaining vehicles with rockets from our M136 launchers. PanzerHans had an excellent position in a building along the road, while I was positioned in some high rocks overlooking the road. We had to wait ten or fifteen minutes for the convoy to arrive (I got drenched during a passing downpour while Panzer was nice and comfy in his warm building), and just when I was ready to detonate my satchel charges I was killed by a BMP-2. This left PanzerHans to deal with the convoy himself, and he was able to eliminate several vehicles before getting hit.

Upon my death, I spawned at the Paraiso Airport and requested a Black Hawk ride from BHack and Evil Koala. They brought me near the convoy ambush point, at which point we began taking fire from some of the remaining armored vehicles. BHack veered south to evade, so I parachuted to a road intersection south of Bagango. I could hear the armor column not far to my northeast; apparently they had bypassed our original chokepoint and made their way south.

PanzerHans spawned at the Paraiso Airport, hitched a chopper ride, and was soon on the ground at my position. Together, we started moving northeast along the road to find a new place for our ambush. Around this time, ST!NG joined the mission and became part of the ambush squad. He had a great position overlooking the armor column.

By this point, BHack and Evil Koala had eliminated the anti-air batteries and gained access to an AH-1. We requested their support in eliminating the armor column, and in short order they had destroyed the entire column. They moved on to hit Pita while PanzerHans and I "borrowed" a civilian vehicle and loaded it with weapons and ammo from a crate. (I believe ST!NG dropped from the mission during this time.) We then made the long drive east to Pita to mop up any infantry that had survived BHack's and Evil Koala's attack from the air.

BHack and Evil Koala moved off to Cayo (a small town in the south-central area of the Southern Island) to destroy tanks while PanzerHans and I swept Pita from north to south. It was during this sweep that I was killed by an enemy machinegunner. I then had to leave the mission, so I'm not sure what happened thereafter. Hopefully PanzerHans, BHack, Evil Koala, and ST!NG can fill in the rest (correcting what I got wrong), along with anything that I missed from my perspective during the mission.

Kudos to PanzerHans (it was great coordinating with you on the ground, Panzer!), BHack, Evil Koala, and ST!NG for a well-played mission. I hope to hear your accounts, and I'm looking forward to the next session.

Re: Coop Session AAR / Jan 21, 2007 / Air Cavalry Co-30 v2.0

Well written Strag, thanks. That was the first time I personally started to experience the potential this game has to offer. Tactical game play on a multi-objective, relatively well designed mission. I can't wait for things to start to get more organized with better designed missions and players (including me) who aren't still trying to learn the game. Who knew powerlines were solid? Apparently Koala did as he screamed for me to watch out as I deftly flew our chopper directly into them. The Battlefield franchise has warped my gaming reality.

The only oversight in your write up was the initial stages. It was actually Koala who parachuted in with you while I spawned as a pilot at the airfield. From what I remember noone was killed right off the bat, I just flew my MH-6 over to pick Koala up as he decided to help me with the shilka killing objective.

The only issue I have with that mission is that it seems to be mostly over once you get the cobra unlocked. As far as I can tell the AI doesn't have anything that can really engage you, unless you fly low enough to get hit with small arms fire. All the towns should have 1 or 2 AA guys with stingers to give you something to worry about. Hellfires just make things too easy.

Anyway, hopefully I'll have my CTD issue fixed tonight and can finally play with some stability.

Comment

Originally posted by BHack View Post
      That was the first time I personally started to experience the potential this game has to offer. Tactical game play on a multi-objective, relatively well designed mission.
      Definitely, and the release of the English version should help to kick the creation of quality content into a higher gear.

Who knew powerlines were solid?
      LOL.

The only oversight in your write up was the initial stages. It was actually Koala who parachuted in with you while I spawned as a pilot at the airfield. From what I remember noone was killed right off the bat, I just flew my MH-6 over to pick Koala up as he decided to help me with the shilka killing objective.
      I totally missed that. I was studying the map for a few minutes right after insertion; I must have tuned everything else out. Thanks for the clarification. :)

The only issue I have with that mission is that it seems to be mostly over once you get the cobra unlocked. As far as I can tell the AI doesn't have anything that can really engage you, unless you fly low enough to get hit with small arms fire. All the towns should have 1 or 2 AA guys with stingers to give you something to worry about. Hellfires just make things too easy.
      Yeah, once you guys got that AH-1, it was fairly easy sailing. This would be great feedback for the mission's author; if we were able to handle things with only four or five players, imagine how easy it would be with 20 or 30.

So how did you guys go about eliminating the enemy anti-air assets? I heard you guys talking on the radio net, but I wasn't actually listening to it. Were you on the ground, or did you guys handle everything from the air?

Comment

Originally posted by Strag View Post

So how did you guys go about eliminating the enemy anti-air assets? I heard you guys talking on the radio net, but I wasn't actually listening to it. Were you on the ground, or did you guys handle everything from the air?
        There are a couple rules with that mission. 1. Only people who spawn as pilots can pilot the aircraft, which is why I spawned in that role. For everyone else, the pilot seat is locked out. 2. You can't fly any of the attack helos (AH-1, or AH-6) until the shilkas are destroyed.

All we did was fly a blackhawk loaded with M136 rounds to an area near where the shilkas were. We then hopped out and proceeded on foot to rocket snipe the two shilkas (literally Koala scored a 1000m rocket shot). We never got engaged. Then we ran back through the woods to the blackhawk and headed back for the airport, where the cobra now was unlocked... the rest is history.

Comment

All we did was fly a blackhawk loaded with M136 rounds to an area near where the shilkas were. We then hopped out and proceeded on foot to rocket snipe the two shilkas (literally Koala scored a 1000m rocket shot). We never got engaged. Then we ran back through the woods to the blackhawk and headed back for the airport, where the cobra now was unlocked... the rest is history.
          Good stuff. Damn, a 1000-meter rocket shot?? I have trouble hitting much of anything with the M136 beyond 100 meters or so. I really need to practice with it.

Comment

Yea, the rocket falls with distance so you really gotta aim high.

Comment

Sounds fun guys...got to get back in the ArmA swing...especially with action like this going on...Excellent AAR
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Did you guys order the German version of the game, or was this the demo, or what?
                |TG-Irr|Cheezyfli

Comment

Originally posted by Cheezyfli View Post
                  Did you guys order the German version of the game, or was this the demo, or what?
                  Some of us have the German version, and some of us have the Czech version. Server details are available here.

Comment

nice report.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X