Sunday June 3 AAR (Catastrophe)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday June 3 AAR (Catastrophe)

Ok well maybe not a catastrophe but this mission was fubard from go and only made worse by some poor desisions on my part. For some reason or another 7 people who signed up didn't show luckly a number of people showed up to spectate. Even with that I had to sacrafice the sniper team and two of our fire teams were down to three people. First real mistake was communication. I had each fireteam split into diffrent channels. This proved to be more of a hindrance than a help, made only worse that our FTLs were usually the first people hit.

Finally we landed at lz donner. I had the squad move west towards a set of aparments and waypoint 1. Team 2 came underfire guarding our northern flank. I moved my self and the squad medic to there posistion in the hundred or so meters to there posistion to member of team 2 were knocked out, and we and reached team 2 FTL he was hit and takin down. Over his fallen body me and the squad medic ingaged and half sqaud or so taking a good number down and watching the rest retreat. After our little gun battle I had the command element form up with the other two fireteams to keep pushing west. Due to and unluck nade and enemy fire we lost Team 1 and team 3 took one lost. After this I had the squad abandon its assualt through the aparments and pulled out to the east.

The squad moved south towards waypoint 2 and the BMP's. Having to move thorugh a forest to waypoint 2 the command element took fire and a grenade took out the medic and rendered my legs useless. Rather close to waypoint two we took up station sitting all the targets and engaged and destroyed all armour at waypoint 2. After this infantry supporting the armour at waypoint 2 engaged and took out the rest of the squad.

Not really a good showing on my part, but I take it as a learning experience. I welcome any of our particapants on this day to post AAR in this thread from their point of view.

Movies from houdini http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...cussion-7.html

Re: Sunday June 3 AAR (Catastrophe)

This isn't an after-action, per se. I actually got to FRAP some of that action after getting killed, so I hope this'll help our debrief.

First thing's first:

I'll admit to being the first to get taken out.

As we progressed into the city, the civilians were evacuating, and I had eyes on a hostile. I asked permission to engage and was told to hold fire. Since the hostile was aware, I immediately moved to better cover, but was shot in transit.

I wasn't too particularly upset about the delay in getting permission to fire (I should have engaged the enemy for self-protection as soon as I noticed he was aware), but we probably needed to set that parameter, or basic ROE, before setting out. Die and learn, I always say! :D

On to the videos! I'm posting these raw to get some discussion going. Even though the angles suck sometimes...try to pay attention to formation, zone coverage, etc. EDIT: After looking at these in the TG Media Previewer...I recommend downloading the file and viewing it normally. The previewer makes it a little too small, and going full screen distorts the movie too much.

Disclaimer: I am not a cinematographer. I struggled with the camera controls. Leave me alone.

Video #1: After Fireteam 2 gets blasted...I now find myself playing Hollywood movie director. Here's the remaining team's initial foray into town. Note formation and movement. Camera facing South-West. (WMV, 15MB)

[media]http://www.tacticalsites.com/~houdini/Movies/070604 ArmA Coop 01.wmv[/media]

Video #2: Cover among buildings, blind corner. Camera facing West. (WMV, 5MB)

[media]http://www.tacticalsites.com/~houdini/Movies/070604 ArmA Coop 02.wmv[/media]

Video #3: A surprise grenade attack kills Jeepo and John Canavar off-screen. I assume they were covering the east entrance to that compound and weren't able to cover their six. Camera facing West (WMV, 5MB)

[media]http://www.tacticalsites.com/~houdini/Movies/070604 ArmA Coop 03.wmv[/media]

Video #4: Another angle showing the line-of-sight for the two primary shooters. Camera facing North. (WMV, 5MB)

[media]http://www.tacticalsites.com/~houdini/Movies/070604 ArmA Coop 04.wmv[/media]

Video #5: Egress from that compound. Who's covering the re-deployment? Hostile sneaks up on our six. Camera facing South. (WMV, 5MB)

[media]http://www.tacticalsites.com/~houdini/Movies/070604 ArmA Coop 05.wmv[/media]

Video #6: No deaths on this one. Note that as the team moves down the street, six-o'clock coverage needs work. Camera facing south. (WMV, 5MB)

[media]http://www.tacticalsites.com/~houdini/Movies/070604 ArmA Coop 06.wmv[/media]

Let the discussions commence!
    Last edited by Shiner; 06-04-2007, 07:05 PM.
    |TG| HOUDINI

Comment

lol houdini truly lives up to his name.

Comment

Sorry about that John...perhaps I can get strag to come in and clean up my mess. I'll delete this post and the previous one when we fix it.
        |TG| HOUDINI

Comment

Apologies john.. I don't have a great excuse, but we had storms in the morning an our tee time got pushed back by into the afternoon so my dad and I were on the course still when this rolled around.

I wouldn't worry about any perceived issues.. if this wasn't hard it wouldn't be fun. Sounds like you guys had a reasonably coordinated effort despite the no-shows. Looking forward to making amends on the next one.

Comment

Thread should be fixed up now...

Comment

From my perspective, TS is probably what did us in. We didn't really have time to sit and plan out what we were going to do. There are some things that will come from working together more, like movement and cover arcs and stuff.

As to John C and Jeepo getting naded, I shot him but he still got the throw off. It was one of those cursed moments where the guy took more than one burst to go down.
              Do or do not, there is no try....
              -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Dont know if you guys did this, but I suggested it in another thread relating to ORBAT. The TS issue is common when splitting channelsl; the best way to solve it is to simply know how to xmit to another channel. Easiest way to do it is to make squad leaders "Channel commanders" in TS, this way they can whisper exclusively to other squad leaders in other channels if needed.

Another way is to keybind certain keys to whisper to certain other channels or people. This is what we used to do with Falcon 4.0 and it worked flawlessly. We even did it in WoW so we could exclusively talk to other mages. Obviously, you must write down the keybinds and appropriate squads so you can remember them all.

This is not very hard to do, nor does it take much time.

I believe, like was said before, that once the bugs get worked out of this game that we can really focus on properly running scenarios. Right now though, it just feels like screwing around - especially when half the time people crash or the server goes down. :)

Comment

1.08 purports to have signficant VOIP improvements hopefully allowing us to move to in-game communication and TS for administrative duties.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner View Post
                    1.08 purports to have signficant VOIP improvements hopefully allowing us to move to in-game communication and TS for administrative duties.
                    I still wonder how well in-game VOIP will serve us. We could use the Side channel for comms between squads, but wouldn't everyone else on the entire side hear this voice chat as well? It'll make for some pretty cluttered comms. I'm thinking that keeping TeamSpeak for comms between squads might be the way to go, while in-game Group chat could be used for comms within the squads.

Comment

Ingame VOIP will be great for vehicles. The "area" or "local" chat might work great for infantry squads, depending on the range.

Comment

Thanks John_F / Strag for organization and everyone else who joined the session.

I must say I am pretty disappointed with those who signed up and didnt show up. Important excuses I can understand but otherwise, it is a big insult to those of us who take these kind of pre-planned activities serious. I left work (although I had important things to do) and rushed home just for this session to find out that none of my fire team members were present.

Technical problems (TS) affected the quality of session a LOT. We started without a briefing. Who is the leading element, fire code, target priorities, primary objectives, waypoints and secure points to objectives, how squad will advance to contact, relative positions and watch responsibilities of fire teams...None of these could be discussed and session started.

But all of these can be improved in time. This was the start of TG Pre-planned Coop Sessions and mission accomplished !

EDIT: About that grenade which took us. To simply put: it was our lucky day. As you will see in the video (Thx a lot for those Houdini), Jeepo and I were behind a structure covering 6'o clock of squad. There were two elements in front of us, engaging. And that damn grenade comes from the direction of engaging elements, none of those active combat guys are injured and we lucky MIPs thinking that we are good and secure behind a huge cover got killed :)

Comment

Side chat is heard by everyone on a side, regardless of element. Group chat is heard by those in your group, vehicle chat by those in the vehicle regardless of group, and direct chat is heard coming from your physical position in the game world.

Direct chat will have a MASSIVE impact on the way communication works once it's functioning properly. I hope it's working flawlessly in 1.08, but I'm not putting any money on it. In any case, it's going to be a blast once it's fully functional.

I wrote about how ShackTac uses a combination of TS2/VOIP in our TTP already, if you don't remember it or are curious you can find the breakdown here:
                          http://dslyecxi.com/armattp2.html#commandcomm

Comment

I still think the different channels are going to be necessary. Hopefully we won't have the TS or absence issues and be able to do more pre-mission breifing. This will cut down on confusion.

As long as the fireteams are going to be in separate areas, then the separate channels are a must. Some we need to agree on is fire condition for initial deployment and a very fast way to request and receive feedback for a change in fire condition. It sucked at the end for me and nearly for John, as I was tracking an enemy with my sights waiting for permission to fire. It wasn't clear that we were spotted from the enemies action until it was too late as he was partially concealed by a bush as he reached his closest point. I think noticed the throwing animation. My 3 round burst eliminated the enemy but it was too late as the nade was out of his hand already. This is one of those fire condition gray areas. Enemy was approaching but gave no real sign of spotting us. It wasn't until he was in easy tossing range that it was apparent that our position was compromised. Had a fired first and asked questions later the mission would have ended differently for certain, but I would have violated an order. What is one to do in such a situation?
                            |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
                              Enemy was approaching
                              To me this indicates a threat and reason to break a hold fire order. Its all based on range I would say if a target is approching you at under a 100 meters or so.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X