Friday 15, Cayo falls in our hands in the evening

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday 15, Cayo falls in our hands in the evening

See attachment for map and troops movements!
    On Friday 15 during the evolution game of the evening, the group I was in, decided to take Cayo after having submitted Paraiso and Somato.
    Once the helicopter dropped us on the road East of Cayo as one group we were ordered to take position East of Cayo on the sand for a long unsupported frontal assault to the Easter part of the Town.
    We were in an open terrain facing armors and entrenched troops.
    After 5 minutes of fire and only succeeding at the destruction of a Shilka, our leadership ordered us to hastingly retreat due to heavy losses and shortage of ammo.
    The group I was in refused to retreat and the initial group broke off in two groups. One retreating East as A1, when the second group maneuvered on B1 toward the south.
    Then the helicopter brought ammos to both groups A2 and B2 rushed toward the LZ “Helo”. The group B was then under a new collective leadership.
    The group A moved in A3 and caught the arriving running enemies in the open under machine gun fires.
    The group B moved in B3 and took also the enemies whose bodies were standing out over the ridge with a blue sky for background. B3 gained the ridge and took the rest of the running enemies and the armors guarding the water tower which was the secondary objective.
    A and B moved in A4 and B4 covering each others and entered the town. At this point most of the enemies have been eliminated while in the open terrain.
    We cleared the Town of the remaining light resistance in A5 and B5 relatively easily.
    This operation which was not executed in a proficient coordinated military manner was successful due to the creative strategic collective leadership of different individuals giving contrary directions and order over the comms simultaneously, plentiful reinforcements, and the lack of super AI of the occupying troops in Cayo and the lack of any of its reinforcements.
    I wish we could have one realistic night a week with a leadership that could execute virtual military operations in a proficient and military manner. Briefing before the op and briefing after the op with the setting all the way up to realistic (among others, no white reticule bouncing in front of you, so we can use only the gun sights, etc…), real deployment strategies, formations, without the usual noisy contraptions (tanks, harrier, gunships, etc). Hence, the TG group could cater to the tastes of everybody instead of just what the majority likes to do.
    One night over seven, is it too much to ask?
    Sincerely,
    GHWY
    Last edited by Gunnyhighway; 06-21-2007, 03:15 PM.
    Because Lightspeed is superior to Soundspeed some individuals look brilliant before sounding stupid:row__572:

Re: Friday 15, Cayo fall in our hands in the evening

Some of the mods like ACE seek to bring you what you want. We've had some scheduled COOP events that use the leadership and tactics you mentioned. The reticle is actually there not because of a cheat, but so those with low end machines can play. I got from 25-30 FPS to < 9 when zoomed. In short range situations I can't follow my target because of the stutters.

Don't be afraid to ask if anyone wants to go tot he COOP server and run a serious operation. If I'm going to be on for a while, I rather run a COOP game or very organized game of Evo like we did last Thursday.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Re: Friday 15, Cayo falls in our hands in the evening

Originally posted by Gunnyhighway View Post
      I wish we could have one realistic night a week with a leadership that could execute virtual military operations in a proficient and military manner..

To be honest Gunny... I think Most want that... To an extent.. Most folks on this server don't want to run the Op..they want to follow (a nice breath of fresh air I suppose)... but for those who have the experience to do what you want..it's gonna be work for you... In Evo make an announcement of what you are going to do..be a squad leader and see what you come up with... In the Non-eveo server..make a TS announcement what you wanna do and go to the "REAL" ARMA server (bias..)..
      The Description of the events in your previous posting sounds like a great time... and very organized... But unfortunately until you TRAIN guys like me whodon't have the type of true Military style leadership or Skills... you are gonna be stuch doing the Leading..
      But I will wanna ground pound for ya anytime... !!
      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

I think Coop is pretty forgiving for using no or bad tactics, you'll get the objectives eventually if you keep trying. I think in a well designed TvT mission use of mission plans and tactics becomes more important, because a human opponent will have better tactics and more lethality than the AI.

Comment

EVO Coop is Forgiving.. But when you've been a Seagull for 10 minutes or so because you were lazy or Sloppy... then you learn... ;-)

The Gull teaches all....
          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Originally posted by Taxi View Post
            I think Coop is pretty forgiving for using no or bad tactics, you'll get the objectives eventually if you keep trying. I think in a well designed TvT mission use of mission plans and tactics becomes more important, because a human opponent will have better tactics and more lethality than the AI.
            I definitely agree with peardog. Playing ArmA coop with one life to live is a very different experience from missions with respawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Strag View Post
              I definitely agree with peardog. Playing ArmA coop with one life to live is a very different experience from missions with respawn.
              I agree with him as well, but it's not mutually exclusive. Both one life as well as a more lethal opponent make planning and tactics more desirable.

Comment

Originally posted by Taxi View Post
                I agree with him as well, but it's not mutually exclusive. Both one life as well as a more lethal opponent make planning and tactics more desirable.

Heh..From the number of Times the AI has kicked my Tail..I'd say they are pretty darn lethal.. Plus a Human can't see through and shoot through a Building to get ya!
                |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Interesting debate this "one life" issue.
                  As far as realism goes 1 life 1 mission would seem great.
                  Certainly it would make the MATURE player respond very tactically.
                  Set TARGETS
                  Make PLANS
                  Take ACTION
                  Certainly it would make for very careful insertions into targets with plenty of cover and move situ's
                  Plenty of use of the sniper team and pre selection of targets before opening fire.
                  But ..... as good as that sounds I just don't think people will hang about if they die early on so I'm happy with the idea that if I die I pay some sort of penalty, return to base, rank loss whatever but I can come back into the action as a form of re-inforcement after all the AI's are doing this.

Well it looks like I'm trying to sit on the fence here LOL.

Barnaby out
                  "I like a man who grins when he fights"
                  Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
                    But ..... as good as that sounds I just don't think people will hang about if they die early...
                    This is exactly how Ghost Recon was played here at TG. The point was to accomplish the mission while doing your utmost NOT to die, and this created a fantastic level of tension. If you did happen to die early, you'd observe your remaining teammates so you could learn and/or critique after the mission.

It's not for everyone, but for those folks who enjoy this style of game play, it can take a game like ArmA to another level. Unfortunately, with so many people accustomed to fast-paced respawn game types these days, getting folks just to try the "one life" style is the hardest part.

Comment

Strag,
                      We might have been broothers in arms in another life!...You said it better than me, yet the thoughts were the same!...The tension!...The adrenaline!...the fear!...The concentration in the here and now!...The attention for the guy next to you!...without the nasty side effects...i.e no PTSD!...
                      Hooaa!
                      I second that!
                      GHWY
                      Because Lightspeed is superior to Soundspeed some individuals look brilliant before sounding stupid:row__572:

Comment

Heck..If we could do an Evo Tradeoff... No Rank Structure..but a Death Penalty of like 2 min respawn time or something... (maybe longer)...

Bring on the pain!
                        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

There are many fast games out there with fast respawning where you are asked to react quickly to a light or sound stimulus. Now there will be only a few places where you will be asked to slow down, listen, look around, stick to an idea, a concept and a group of other virtual friends with whom you have in common to like to achieve a strategy other than frontal assaults with a battleship canon on tracks. A lot of people like the heavy artillery up to a nuke. I personally don't. I am a team player and I like to feel the risk surrounded by other guys that feel the same about being virtually shot, and virtually killed. TH is nice and open enough to offer one slot once a week to satisfy those that enjoy Arma played this way. If Arma is not played as close are reality by translating the idea of death by being benched or turned into a bird, I will not get to feel the tension of virtually putting myself at risk. The feeling of being afraid of putting yourself at risk, doing it anyway and only risking being benched is mentally healthy. If I can't feel the risk then I don't take calculated chances then I am bored and I might also do something else. It is not about hierarchy, salutes, stripes on shoulders, giving or taking orders, it is about a plan, the execution of that plan knowing the risks involved and feeling the virtual warmth between other people that could virtually loose it all in a second, but do it anyway because when they feel, whatever they feel, when they execute the plan, in the here and now, they feel alive in a different way that you feel everyday when you wake up and go to work. It is a different experience. I am not saying it is right or wrong, I am just saying one evening over seven to feel the same game in a different manner than most of us experienced it already, I will be happy to spend time of my everyday real life to set it up so I can feel a little different without any real danger, other than being turned in a virtual bird for 20 minutes. Also knowing that when I am a bird I can fly away to any other games style there are out there and respawning at will.
                          It is only about those who are willing to experience a different perspective of feeling a point of view of a game style triggered by the risk of being benched for 20 minutes, and only that!...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X