Tuesday, Evo unlocked.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuesday, Evo unlocked.

Best night on ArmA yet. Things just clicked amazingly, all due to having an organised set up, different dedicated squads and a CO channel. Brill stuff, need to do this more. Sadly i couldnt stay all night tonight, but WOW! In my excitement, this is the only decent screen i got, a list of players, but hopefully some one got better?

Best bit was an ambush we done on a patroling enemy squad, 3 seconds of fire, 6 down. Then, the enemy reacted, tried flanking, we pulled back on our own, and sat on a rocky outcrop on a hill. Our squad slowly got picked of, just me and Johnson left....then the cavalry turn up and push enemy of hill!!!:) Unreal!

Come on guys, stick something on to this AAR!!! Hope this is a common feature.....im hooked!

Re: Tuesday, Evo unlocked.

One of the best times Iíve had on ArmA. Great teamwork and leadership. Our second attempt at Cayo went very well. Breaking up into squads on TS makes the missions run so much more smoothly. Everyone played well and followed orders. It was nice to see some new names tonight. Thanks for a good game.
    |TG| Yanu - Bad handwriting since the 8th grade.

Comment

Just want to compliment John Flenaly on a fine display of leadership. Was lot's of fun playing this organized, almost makes Coop bearable! :p

Comment

I protected a supply convoy all night. :p

Comment

Tuesday night was a highlight for me, as well. I started late in the evening and felt a little lost with everyone coming and going, but got the opportunity to play as both a Squad and Platoon Leader. Things were a little disorganized with squads losing and gaining soldiers in the middle of the operation, so I did not get to see a full mission from either position. My experience was a lot of fun, however, and I look forward to my next opportunity.

Once the server got back down to a handful of players, things turned up a notch and I had a blast working with Raptor in a battle team. We survived another debacle upon the infamous Sniper Hill and decided to fall back, regroup, and approach the city from a different direction. Our movements were made with purpose, we used great tactics, and our team chugged along like a well-oiled machine. We ended up high atop the city in a fortress and were able to both engage and spot targets for the whole squad.

It is a shame we both did not survive the operation, as Raptor decided the stairs were too slow and fell off a wall to his death.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot to mention another highlight from Tuesday. Early in the day, before the server reset, three of us were working on clearing out one of the last towns. As we started our approach into town, both of my teammates were killed and I was left alone in the middle of heavy enemy activity. Sure enough, I was blindsided and my legs were taken out from under me in a firefight. I was certain that would be the end of the road for me, but my prayers were answered when the distinct sound of a little bird touched my ears.

My teammates had returned and decided they were going to perform a hot landing to evacuate me. As soon as I saw the helicopter, I popped smoke and watched as it descended into hostile territory. Once it hit the ground, someone hopped out to provide cover, as I low-crawled to the bird. I pulled myself into the cockpit, my savior hopped on the side rail, and we were off the ground within twenty seconds. It was better than most scenes in any recent war movie.

As Sam Hoy said while making their approach, "We leave no man behind!"
          Last edited by Pfeil22; 06-20-2007, 03:05 AM. Reason: Added an additional highlight.

Comment

That was tremendous stuff.
            The inter-action, the responses to the point of attack, the clarity from the team leaders, it was fantastic.

If you weren't there you missed a great night of coop campaigning.
            The more we did the better we became the smoother and more expert at tasks we got.

Yeah it might only be a game but that was very close to real time last night, well played all.

1-2-H troopers you/we all did magnificently following some great orders from John and my Fire team leader Taxi.
            Amazing to watch as teams got changed mid battle, insertion points amended, even the battle chatter was controlled well.
            It can get very intense when contact is made and a fire fight starts but the controlled tactics issued by John saw us through.

A good mix of weapons were taken by the teams, we had AT, sniper supressed rifles and my fav a HMG. This weapon mix allowed us to do target metal damage while offering protection, suppression and agression fire when necessary.
            All this made for a very sucessful mission and an ability to react to most situs with contolled agression.
            Many a time the call from the team leaders resulted in the correct weapon taking down the armour or removing a metal bird from the sky while the remaining team offered covering fire.

Foot note.
            Jeepo SORRY for double tapping you but when we are GREEN and contact is established it's not good to stray in front of the angry end of my weapon.
            Sorry m8 just as I got contact your battle bonnet popped up in front just as I squeezed a couple off ;¨? I had to fire again but I got them. LOL

Looking forward to doing it again ..... soon. errrrummm I mean going into battle configured to maximise damage on the enemy
            Sorry 1-2-H if I didn't mention your name but you all worked well.

EXCELLENT

Barnaby out
            Last edited by Barnaby; 06-20-2007, 08:38 AM.
            "I like a man who grins when he fights"
            Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Damn I had work and I hope tonight theres a event like this again :)

Comment

I'll be on tonight, Vega. Let's make it like Monday night was, password-protected but still with more members than they apparently had Tuesday. :D

Comment

Great work guys. Thanks for bearing with me. I was trying to not micromanage but still offer some tactical suggestions. I think towards the end I kind of found the blend of what i really needed to do. I hope you'll have me as platoon commander again in the future.

Special thanks for John and Peardog for leading the infantry squads. You guys did an excellent job, even in the face of adversity. Also to Strag for stepping up where needed.

Sticky, Xeil, and Merc great jobs on transport and air cover. I know at times there wasn't much for you guys to do but get shot down, but hey it kept things interesting. In the future as everyone gets more experienced I think we can get the air group worked out more effecient.

Merc, great job taking everyone's suggestion for the modding of the mission. I really like how the high powered aircraft is not available until after the south island is clear. That is going to be great on reducing smacktard behavior while still allowing for fun use of the vehicles.

Sam Hoy, thanks for sticking by my side and helping me with the convoy. Outside of your glitches, I think you were the only one who survived that KA-50 mishap on the edge of somato and protected the convoy and helped me get all those vehicles back up and running.

I think with more experience I'll be faster and clearer when giving orders as last night i know some things got muddled and made it hard for people to understand. I also think as a whole we can work on our timings better. I know it sucks to sit around at a staging area or in a helo while the planning goes on, but if we get our timing down we can try some fancy assaults. I'm thinking about using the ingame watch maybe to call times for roll outs or get SL's deadlines to get things done. It will speed things up and add a little more immersion and sense of time crunch.

Please, Please, Please give me some feedback on what you would like me or any platoon leader to do in the future.
                  |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Well KhAn

It didn't look like it needed too much tweaking after all casualties are a fact of war, the aim is to have fewer than the enemy and that we surely did last night.

What we did last night is a great platform to build from.
                    To use your phrase ref **not micro-manage** that's the way forward for me.
                    Have the sub-commanders know the Battle plan and let them evolve it as the battle pans out.
                    No straight line objectives but rather if an unforseen obstacle pops up allow the field commanders scope to improvise, as we did in fact do last night very effectively.
                    I do agree that making it too tight, restrictive [micro-managing] would spoil the enjoyment somewhat.

Great night though

Barnaby out
                    "I like a man who grins when he fights"
                    Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Was great fun had a blast with everyone in 1-2-h and then latter when we reformed in 1-4-k.

Jeep
                      Barnaby
                      Taxi
                      B. Johnson
                      2heads
                      Blacksheep
                      makarov
                      pfeil

Some of the people I had the pleasure of squading with tonight. Sorry I know there were more but we went through a lot of people. I'd like to give a personal thanks to taxi, who worked as my ASL and generally picked up the pieces of the squad when ever I did something foolish. I defentally like the squad leader posistion as apposed to a platoon or everall commander. Looking forward to getting this going agian tonight.

I guess khan if I can offer any advice is that there was to much talking on "comms" Not so much chatter but we need to work on trying to say what we need in as little words as possible. There were many times I could'nt communicate with my squad becuase of "comms"

Absolute highlight of the evening was our chopper insertion south of cayo. We were able to knock out three shilkas one 72 a platoon + of infantry and a number of other vehicles while only reseving 2 casulties.

Comment

Some excellent action last night! Thanks to all who came on. My initial thoughts on the platoon structure (until I get more caffeine):

Last night the thing I came to appreciate most about having a platoon commander was the handling of logistics. I was in charge of Squad 2 after peardog left at Paraiso until Yanu took over at Somato. Each time we needed an airlift or resupply, it was either readily available a few hundred yards back (thanks to tHa_KhAn's supply convoy), or it arrived within a few minutes (thanks to stickyjeans69, Xeil, and Mercenarius, our chopper pilots). This was a huge help and made things run very smoothly.

Besides that, it was great fun to operate in a town in coordination with other friendly units. In addition to the noise our squad was making, I could hear sounds of battle nearby from Squad 1, as well as friendly choppers buzzing around overhead as they made transport runs. Very immersive.

I know we had some rough spots last night, but I think things will continue to get better the more we play. Quite a few people are only on day four or five of playing this game, and we're still getting a feel for our comms. But still, it's quite amazing that we have this quality of play already. Only at TG!

One thing we can work to improve is how we hand off leadership and reorganize when people leave the server. I don't think it'll be a big problem -- we just need to figure out a plan and use it whenever reorganization is necessary.

Comment

Some things I've noticed playing evo.

1. We have to many BF2vets not that its really a bad thing but you picked up some "habits" from it. For what ever reason people like to fight form the crest of hills. While this in of itself is not a bad thing people for get cover. The AI in AMRA acts simi relistic so if you highligh your self on a hill with no cover they have an easy time hitting you. So find a scrub, tree, rock whatever.

2. This version of evo has a lot more AA seems to be three shilkas per town.

I wanna try and get a support squad going tonight. Three people. 1 medic 1 engineer. The med/eng will grab a repair truck and move to the target setting up a farp/lz while the third guy grabs a blackhawk for movement. When farp/lz is done med/eng will grab littlebirds and support the blackhawk in ferrying operations. CAS will be in a seperate channle.

Comment

John, interesting ideas. I think we could streamline the process. Since we have a support convoy anyway. We could use that to build Farp's and Mash's. I forgot about the Farp thing when I spawned in last night, that was my bad. In an example last night Sam and I should have been ENG and setting farps at our staging points with the supply convoy. This would keep our airmen free to stay in helo's while the command staff continues the logistics side of the fight. I like having the Helo's buzzing overhead awaiting requests. It really was a neat sight to watch the helo's drop off reinforcements or the AH6 come in with rockets to keep a bad situation from getting worse.
                            |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Great stuff guys...I spent my post PRM time last night downloading patches and installing them...I had to go all the way back to the beginning and reinstall my original exe file, download 1.02 patch, install...download 1.05 patch, install...download 1.08 patch and install. Finally about 2:00 a.m. I was in game and all looked good. The TG servers were green and good to go. You guys can expect me tonight but I'll need some help getting back up to speed...be forewarned.

Oh yeah...I went back and played some of the campaign from my previous action...did the AI get better with the patches or did I just lose my ARMA edge?...hmmm time will tell.
                              sigpic
                              |TG-1st|Grunt
                              ARMA Admin (retired)
                              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed