Day 2 of ArmA Fest (JUly 30)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day 2 of ArmA Fest (JUly 30)

Alone in the house for 4 days, I decided to do nothing but ArmA. Yesterday was day two. Aside from mass murdering two squads in a helo accident as pilot, things are going pretty good. Going out today to buy a joy stick in one last attempt to master the helo before I quit trying to fly (yes, the joystick will be refundable....)

Spent all of yesterday afternoon ferrying troops back into the field via little bird, with reasonable success, but things started to go wrong later in the day. Not sure if fatigue, lag, or nerves got to me.

Later on, quite late in th evening, I formed a support/FARP unit and healed vehicles, got a few birds back in the air for others, then went full infantry, using tow humvees to move flag to flag. Mosely took out two radio towers, and my men did quite well with the killing thing.

COMMAND CHANNEL IS UNBAREABLE. I will not use command channel as an SL until we get some discipline or a new methodology or software fix. I know solutions are in the work. I the meantime the only solution I see is to 'pop' in and out of the command channel via hot keys when I need to request or report something. This I was not doing, will get into the habit of using those hot keys today.

Big moment for me yesterday was simply learning how to access different icons as markers. Also saw a seagull fly RIGHT in front of my helo as I was flying off the shoulder of a mountain. Good grief the visuals in this game are great.

Not sure what lies ahead for this game. Do we ever get to the point of two sides facing off (not one side against AI targets). Replaying the same AI senerios will get thin after a while.

Spent a while following SleepDoc squad in a humvee and just listening to him -- crazy clearity of communication and sit rep. Must study that man's style more.

sigpic

Re: Day 2 of ArmA Fest (JUly 30)

Co op might be a good alternative to Evolution. but it seems no body wants to run co op...

good luck with the joystick. make sure you get one with a twist for rudder control. it will be handy.

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post

COMMAND CHANNEL IS UNBAREABLE. I will not use command channel as an SL until we get some discipline or a new methodology or software fix. I know solutions are in the work. I the meantime the only solution I see is to 'pop' in and out of the command channel via hot keys when I need to request or report something. This I was not doing, will get into the habit of using those hot keys today.

Comon Emale its called selective hearing. :) Don't be afraid to tell people on the command channel to quite down a reminder every now and then goes along way. After a good 2-4 hour session of squad leading you should feel mentally worn out. Well only if your doing it right.

Comment

I am still new to the key binding options. I realize that I was not using the TS toggles efficiently and just reviewed them today. Nonetheless, at one point in the evening last night (and I suspect I will see the same this evening...) the chatter was near constant in the command channel, add talk over, add my own SMs and it is not longer a matter of selective hearing (and I realize you are 'ribbing me' here :row__572:) -- there is simply too much noise in the signal.

Been rereading Strag's SOP notes -- very useful refresher. I particularly like the point about taking cover upon spotting enemy and THEN reporting the spot so the team can engage the target in an orderly fashion without a member being caught in the open (fire discipline RoEs). Great stuff to keep in mind.
        sigpic

Comment

Yes its been getting out of hand. I do belive alot is becuase we've been operating as cooperative squads instead of the platoon structer. Still the best way to get it under control is to speak up and say something when it happens and keep saying it.

Comment

Not sure what lies ahead for this game. Do we ever get to the point of two sides facing off (not one side against AI targets). Replaying the same AI senerios will get thin after a while.
            Yep...Go to the OTHER server with a few of your MIP players..and others will join ya.... When we get in the Upper teens (I'd say 16+) players, then we are ripe for many of the TVT maps that are out there... Plus there are lods of other COOP scenarios on the other server where the AI can be anywhere and often hand your Arse to ya on a platter... (cheaters!)

"Build it..and they will come!.." :icon_cool
            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
            ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by johnflenaly View Post
              Still the best way to get it under control is to speak up and say something when it happens and keep saying it.
              You are, as usual, quite right. Being very new to ArmA I am more hesitant than usual -- will speak up in future.
              sigpic

Comment

Been rereading Strag's SOP notes -- very useful refresher. I particularly like the point about taking cover upon spotting enemy and THEN reporting the spot so the team can engage the target in an orderly fashion without a member being caught in the open (fire discipline RoEs). Great stuff to keep in mind.
                I wish I had the video to accompany this post, but the other day I had great example of this with my squad. There was about 8-10 in the squad and we had a dedicated point man. He crested a rise in the road and a shot was fired. The entire squad hit the deck and moved to nearby cover. It was great to watch. The point man then called back the contact and everyone was able to move into position so that the next time we crested, we would have multiple angle and multiple shooters.
                |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...