Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day 3 of ArmA Fest

Low population made for a slow day. A few observations:

Pilots are often seen hitting targets without regard to the objectives of infantry squads.

Witnessed one player spawn in, fly around, team kill a squad, get yelled at, respawn at base, TK more players in act of revenge at being rebuked and then disconnect.

Witnessed a few players who do not have mics and do not appear to be TG members spawning in and not really playing as part of a squad.

While I see the value of AI in certain circumstances, I myself have little intention of using AI. I am here to interact with real people, not order AI around. I say this with no prejudice toward those that do use AI. I certainly do not expect everyone to see the game through my eyes and I do appreciate diversity in styles. Nonetheless, I hope to see ArmA evolve away from use of AI.
    sigpic

Re: Day 3 of ArmA Fest

I agree on the A.I. for infantry. I think a medic when all the medic slots are taken is appropriate, but not leading 6 A.I. warriors a long side yourself into battle. At that point you may consider playing single player.

A.I. for Engineers are invaluable. It is a respectable yet sometime boring job to recover vehicles. A.I. makes it possible to recover larger numbers with a single Engineer player. Also certain vehicle crew positions can be better served by A.I.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
      A.I. for Engineers are invaluable. It is a respectable yet sometime boring job to recover vehicles.
      I agree..and In Fact would state, when players are limited.., put a Human in charge of the Repair Convoy and let HIM have an AI Squad... And maybe have the Platoon Commander have an AI squad of his own. ( To get him Coffee or the Paper ..) :row__523:

Other then that..No AI Should be needed...
      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
        Witnessed one player spawn in, fly around, team kill a squad, get yelled at, respawn at base, TK more players in act of revenge at being rebuked and then disconnect.
        When this happens, please take a second to jot down their names (and also their ArmA PlayerIDs, if possible) and send them to an ArmA admin in a PM.

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
        Witnessed a few players who do not have mics and do not appear to be TG members spawning in and not really playing as part of a squad.
        Again, please record the offenders' names (and ArmA PlayerIDs, if possible) and fire them off to an ArmA admin in a PM. We'll definitely address these problems.

Comment

How do we get player ID's ??

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
            I agree on the A.I. for infantry. I think a medic when all the medic slots are taken is appropriate, but not leading 6 A.I. warriors a long side yourself into battle. At that point you may consider playing single player.

A.I. for Engineers are invaluable. It is a respectable yet sometime boring job to recover vehicles. A.I. makes it possible to recover larger numbers with a single Engineer player. Also certain vehicle crew positions can be better served by A.I.
            That's exactly what I've been doing lately. Probably half the time I've spent on the server has been leading AI supply convoys. Typically I'll have bots in the repair, ammo, and fuel trucks; then I drive a humvee with a bot on the 50cal (personally, I tend to take a lot of AA bots since stingers are pretty rare among human players). It's a boring job and the bots can be irritating, but I don't mind doing it since that's pretty much what I actually do in the army.

Comment

Also remember that AI can be used in successive bounding on high threat zones very effectively. Assign an AI pointman (scout) and bound him forward before you bound with human players. I do not suggest that you send AI for suicide missions though. So use extreme caution when choosing the bounding position. Give the poor guy cover/concealment ;)

Another great role for AI is the guard. While squad is waiting for logistic support or reinforcements at your staging area or rally point, you can place AI on guard posts (remember to assign them watch directions using "command watch" key).

A third very useful position for AI is to get an AI medic, assigned to watch 6'clock of PL/SL, following him wherever he goes.

AI looks very useless if you assign them tasks like driving and advancing on urban terrain as a group (they will stuck + path finding problems). On open terrain and as guards, they do an excellent job.

Comment

Very good points there JohnC, TU
                That's given me something to ponder on as there are clear advantages in deploying an AI point man.
                It's a side to my game I need to polish up on, controling & assigning AI's etc

JohnF
                Do you mean the ID that is shown bottom right on the load in screen which has the player icon in top left corner.
                You click it to change names etc
                Mine is >>> ArmA Game ID: 18325511

Barnaby out
                "I like a man who grins when he fights"
                Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse