July 13 : 3-man squad takes Bogango

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 13 : 3-man squad takes Bogango

After a successful deployment with a 1stMIP platoon (separate AAR pending), myself, Gogetta and NoDebate were able to clear the entire town of Bogango in less than one hour with no assistance other than a MH-6 pilot (Sleepdoc) - including a radio tower takedown and sucessful officer capture.

This would not have been possible had it not been for the cover of darkness and dense foliage. The early clearing of most armor followed by a building-to-building sweep using NV goggles and silenced weapons proved to be an amazingly successful strategy. I personally took down more than 30 infantry using the silenced ACOG rifle. It was quite enjoyable watching enemy infantry struggle to find the source of fire. Most never did.

Using darkness, silence and plenty of patience, much can be accomplished.

Re: July 13 : 3-man squad takes Bogango

Darn I can't believe I walk away from THAT! This very morning I was contemplating what success might be had using extreme stealth, cover, WHILE maintaining very close quarters with the AI. Any more details? How close could you get, how quickly could you duck and run? Could the AI 'cheat' and detect you around corners or through walls.

At what average distance were you engaging the enemy from?
    sigpic

Comment

The AI was completely baffled as far as I could tell. I was able to approach (prone) as close as 35m in some cases without even being detected. In most cases I was able to take down entire platoons before they even knew where I was.

I usually had someone with me, either Gogetta or NoDebate (sometimes both), which helps to identify flankers. We were flanked a couple of times, especially after making noise (stingers and javelins do make noise). Can't stress enough how important it is to take out as much/many mobile units before beginning the ground assault. It's important to get the area as quiet as possible - including the engines/guns of enemy vehicles - before attempting a stealth operation. Also, I think Gogetta and NoDebate were not using silenced weapons at times, and that contributed to them getting shot at much more.

One other observation: When I was engaging platoons, they would occasionally seem to guess at my position and start firing directly at me, but would constantly miss. Of course, I was often prone and in a bush, which probably helped evade getting hit. I honestly think they never really saw me.

My only death was at the very end of the assault. The officer, who was prone in an open area, had quite a few troops patrolling his perimeter and I was unable to gain complete cover during the engagement. Gogetta held the ground until Sleepdoc flew me back in to grab the officer, and we were done.

Comment

That was truly fun, and a great learning experience. The cover of darkness is the greatest cover of all. I wasnt leaving the server last night till we accomplished our mission. :) Great job to everyone involved in last nights raids on bagango and corazol. I got killed twice. Once because I fired my javelin across a hillcrest, took out a T-72 and bam!! an enemy sniper came up over the that very ridge and took me out while the weapon reloaded(i heard him rattle off 4 shots before he hit me LOL) Then after I entered the perimeter with mosely, I killed 2 OpFor on his flank, then proceeded to get flanked from another direction simultaneously *shrugs at least I protected my SL ;) After I returned to the fight, I was moving up to assist with the officer and heard shots fired in mosely's vicinity and hightailed it over there only to hear him get shot on the other side of a house I was running towards. I then took that guy out(avengance is so sweet ;)) as well as 4-5 stragglers tryin to protect their beloved officer. One of which, LOL bless his heart, he walked right up to me as I lay prone about 20 meters from the officer, then he took some blind shots in the opposite direction at nothing, so I put him out of his misery. Then sleep and mosely showed up with the LB and we bugged out. GREAT TIMES!!
        Dizlor

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
          I personally took down more than 30 infantry using the silenced ACOG rifle.
          Wait what ???? I was wondering that last night, cuz I picked that ACOG up for you and then you were silenced..... Am I to believe that if as long as I load up with SD Stanag rounds... the rifle will be silenced ?? even if im not using the COMP ? Now that is something worth knowing :D
          Dizlor

Comment

Originally posted by Gogeta View Post
            Wait what ???? I was wondering that last night, cuz I picked that ACOG up for you and then you were silenced..... Am I to believe that if as long as I load up with SD Stanag rounds... the rifle will be silenced ?? even if im not using the COMP ? Now that is something worth knowing :D
            No I don't think so.. maybe I have my weapons mixed up. So many rifles, so little time. I was using a silenced weapon - either the ACOG or COMP_M2 along with SD rounds. I was not heard or seen.

Comment

The answer lies in your sights... was it an external view with a green dot ? or an internal view with a circled x-hair ?
              Dizlor

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                No I don't think so.. maybe I have my weapons mixed up. So many rifles, so little time. I was using a silenced weapon - either the ACOG or COMP_M2 along with SD rounds. I was not heard or seen.
                Comp_M2 is a red dot sight, and silenced. The SD rounds in other weapons have no silencing effect. All ACOG rifles are loud, at least in Evo.

You guys got me excited... I had to try it out. :D

Comment

SD-rounds actually do have one side-effect in non-silenced weapons: lower muzzle-velocity = more bullet drop....

Comment

WhiskeySix is right without question. However, this brings up an interesting quirk with the Comp2 silenced rifle. I assume it is zeroed for 300 meters, but because of the greater bullet drop compared to super-sonic rounds, you will notice that when you engage close targets that your rounds will impact "far above" where the dot on your sights were aimed. This can be quite pronounced when you try to take out enemies 10 meters away, but every round misses unless you aim well below center mass at them.

Comment

Debate killed at least 20 :)

Comment

Sorry for the delayed update - yes, I was using the CompM2 - a red dot. The ACOG is not silenced at all.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X