Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liberation of Paraiso, Somato, and Cayo.....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberation of Paraiso, Somato, and Cayo.....

Special thanks to Loyal for stepping up as the Platoon Leader for this operation.

I remember Shafik, Ryker, and No debate leading the Infantry squads. John C coordinating the Air element.

Tazz and I were in charge of the armor. He handled the heavy stuff while I handled the support convoy and comms with command. Surprisingly we were one of the first if not the first group ready to move. I think this has to do with us not having to deal with the buggy squad system, but we did manage to get our A.I. in nice neat vehicle columns to move out of the base.

Tazz's initial roll out was 2 Mk19 and 1 M2 Strykers. In hindsight one of the Mk19's should have been traded for an ATGM Stryker. My initial convoy composed of a TOW hummer, Repair Truck, Ammo Truck, and Vulcan.

Our orders were to approach Paraiso from the West, then move South. This sounded simple enough. Upon reaching our staging and hearing gun fire from the far side of the city, we decided to move in. We quickly realized the need for an ATGM stryker in the lead group as I was forced to move my TOW hummer up towards the front. My hummer was unarmored so it was not a good idea to have towards the front, but it worked well at first. I was able to engage a pair of BRDM's as we moved into the city. Due to A.I. mishaps Tazz's 2 tailing Strykers veered off course. He was forced to move in to keep them back on line. This left me in my hummer exposed and now under small arms fire. My support convoy was called to my location. The vulcan did a good job of suppressing most of the enemy small arms. However, a passing KA-50 drew the attention of the Vulcan leaving my hummer and remaing convoy elements exposed.

All hell then broke loose for us in the armor section. My A.I. and I were forced to abandon my hummer due to damage. We took refuge on the clear side of the Vulcan and two remaining trucks. Then almost on cue, the Vulcan's cannon goes dry. This is about the time a BMP shows up to our north and wrecks the Stryker group along with some RPG soldiers. I scramble to get the cannon rearmed, but without the suppressive fire an air show of RPG's start raining in on our positions. Miraculously the Vulcan an Ammo truck survive and I am able to rearm the Vulcan. Suppressive fire resumes. About this time Tazz is sending a new repair truck our way as well as an ATGM stryker.

The repair truck is engaged and destroyed by the roaming BMP. I finally get a shot with a M136 and down goes the BMP. The ATGM arrives just in time to meet a T-72 approaching from our SE. However, the T-72 survives the first TOW and destroys the ATGM, the Vulcan and my ammo truck, before I can get a shot with an M136 to finish it off. I'm left alone with a single A.I. and in a graveyard of burning wreckage. To my joy I witness John C's blackhawk with a Repair truck enroute. I pop red smoke, but suddenly the truck disappears from his helo. We settle on him returning me to base to pick up another repair truck while Tazz grabs an Ammo truck. We were successful in recovering all the lost vehicles in a short time and Paraiso was clear.

The joy of the armor group was now we could bring out the Abrams for Somato. Tazz handles 2 Abrams while I had a convoy consisting of an M2 Hummer, Repair Truck, Ammo Truck, Vulcan, and 5-ton M2 with plenty of extra goodies loaded. We rendezvoused with Squad 2 which was mechanized and supported their push in the Somato. We had a change in command with Loyal retiring for the evening. John C and E-male handled Air coordination and command duties from here on. Once the staging was set, John C used ingame time to coordinate an assault on Somato which was swift and deadly. We had a tank tracked during the fighting, but we had one Abrams up at all times. We were also joined by Borat who took over Stryker duty and provided TOW and M2 support from the high ground. I was surprised at the speed of the assault in Somato. Also, air did a great job of calling out and marking targets for armor. This was key was the tanks hunted and killed the the other armor. This whole assault was rather uneventful for me in the support convoy, except the driver of my repair truck crashed so hard into a post he destroyed the truck and had to bail. we recovered our tracked tank, formed up in Gulan and were joined by Sam Hoy in an AH-6.

The Cayo assault was interesting. John nearly had us timed perfect with meeting the infantry. They inserted near Arcadia on the West side while the armor column rolled in from the North. The Strykers and Abrams spread out in a line on the hills north of the city's west oil fields. They were able to engage numerous targets from armor to infantry. This assault, like Somato, started fast and furious. As the tanks moved into the city we were forced to withdraw to engage a reinforcement group that arrived from corazol. While the enemy armor was quickly eliminated one of the tanks got tracked by RPG soldiers. The other tank moved into overwatch of the imobile tank. Sam Hoy provided CAS, but had some odd run in with an enemy T-72 that left his disabled and landed on an awning. Tazz's remaining Abrams moved to engage this new T-72. It was able to defeat the T-72, but as it moved into cover my repair truck and hummer m2 it was barraged by RPG's and also left disabled. He scrambled from that Abrams to the original downed Abrams which was just coming back online. Quite a frantic moment. My Hummer Gunner dispatched some of the infantry as the downed tank provided cover from the RPG's. Tazz was able to get one tank up and cover for me to repair the other. Once both tanks were rolling, they met up with the infantry in the center of the city and quickly cleared the remnants.

All in all a great night of gaming. The PL structure worked great, even with John C doing dual roles. I would have liked to see what would have happened had Loyal stayed to allow John to focus on air. Some of the new comers had to wait longer than anticipated without the dedicated PL. The whispers definitely work. If we reduce channel commander to only All Squads Buletin or SL to SL comms, I think we would have a great reduction of unnecessary chatter.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Re: Liberation of Paraiso, Somato, and Cayo.....

wow... great writeup! that's a lot of words, but it was a great read :D

Comment

This was a good battle, but also felt hectic at times due to attempts at coordination.

It would be helpful in the future if, during coordinated attacks, each SL would update their position marker on the map for all to see. This makes coordination much, much easier. I started doing this late in the game and I think it helped tremendously.

Map markers are really the fastest way to communicate important information - where you've been, where you are, and where you are going.

Comment

Squad 3 didn't get much action, constant waves of technical problems and disconnects kept my size under 4 for the entire Pariso operation. We had a team of 7 ready to roll at base for Somato but by the time we landed, 4 of the 7 were disconnected. I definitely would like to give SLing another shot, thanks for everyone who came.

Comment

Here is a shot of the map just before Go. You can see my squad (1-3-K, Bobix, Pfeil, Titus and Barnaby) already moving towards the town.

Great game, but the first one. attacking Obregan and Bogango (before the restarted "organized" game) deserves a mention as well... Hope Loyal is working on 2 AAR's. :)

Comment

SQ2 AAR: Paraiso
            Riyker SL, Mosely, Grunt70, Yuna, Sniper3000

CO had us scheduled for insertion North of Paraiso. The element crested the hill near Fb63 to get overwatch, assisting SQ1 on their left flank.

We were engaged moments after with immediate patrols on the nearest EW roadway. Two casualties later, the area way clear and we pushed East.

The element divided in half with Grunt and Mosely clearing South down the Fd road while Riyker, Sniper, and Yanu pushed through the structures area toward our objective, the church.

"Ahhh... I got shot in the leg!" was a comment I think I remember coming over comms from Mosely. It broke silence as our initial push was rather uneventful. SQ1/SQ3 had cut the town EW-wise and we were right on top of them.

CO changed our objective to clear the southern most residences area of the town because by now a general sweep at been done of the town and no contacts were found. Air reconnaissance eventually noted troops in to our NW and CO so ordered to engage.

To count I think we had 4 casualties.
            sigpic
            I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

It was a great night, and thanks for the detailed AAR Khan.

Loyal put an amazing performance as PL to coordinate infantry, armor and air. Everyone followed instructions and coordination was top notch.

Comment

AMEN John_C ........... AMEN
                    Last edited by Barnaby; 07-19-2007, 10:45 AM.
                    "I like a man who grins when he fights"
                    Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Riyker View Post
                      "Ahhh... I got shot in the leg!" was a comment I think I remember coming over comms from Mosely. It broke silence as our initial push was rather uneventful. SQ1/SQ3 had cut the town EW-wise and we were right on top of them.
                      This one was a friendly incident. Grunt was engaging enemy down a street, and I had to cross his firing line in order to get into a support position. As I came across (without telling him) his line of fire nipped me in the lower leg.

Fortunately, he was a medic, so was able to recover my mistake quite easily.

Comment

Paraiso, Somato, Cayo …….

We started off as a small Squad of 4 led by Shafik then Bobik, Titus, me and ……..
                        We started into Parisio. We began our attack from the high ground to the NW of the town. We worked our way down the West side until we were at the South end of the town.
                        We then cut east killing as we went.
                        One of the best incidences was the clearing of the Church on the hill we worked our way smoothly along the road then set up for entering the church zone, there were multiple enemies there but we cut them down without taking any casualties. We then secured the area and took stock. It was a amazingly smooth operation with excellent comms.
                        We did some recovery work and returned to base for lift off to Somato

We airlifted in just N of town and foot slogged it to the top of the near by hill over looking the town.
                        From here we started to wreck havoc on any enemy who dared to advance towards us.
                        On our right flank another friendly sqd was beginning to squeeze the enemy forces. This gave us some flanking shots as the enemy tried to counter with troops and armour. We hit them with AT and concentrated light arms fire as co-ordinated by our SL.
                        By now we had received several more squadies and we were @ 10 in number.
                        We decided to split into 2 with NoDebate as SL of the new squad.

At this time the enemy was over run and we had control of the city without having to sweep to far South to get it.

Next Cayo
                        Now in two squads we armed up in the field from discards and dead bodies and made ready.
                        KaHn who had joined SQ1 purloined a big white bus and so we all borded and set off.
                        You all know the song …. Ready 123 THE WHEELS ON THE BUS GO ROUND …. AND ROUND …. ROUND AND ROUND ….. ALL THE DAY LONG.

We reached our LZ some 1200Metres short of the town on a Westerly side just above the top road.
                        We took position and started attacking from cover.
                        I had dropped just South of this road behind some rocks and lay down some effective 240 fire lines taking down many enemy as they attacked from the SE.
                        Our sniper Titus was called to make a single head shot to take out the MG’er this he did with consummate ease. AWESOME.

After some time of holding our position and taking out some of their armour I saw that we had reduced their foot troopers to so I moved forward to just over the lower road West side. I took out 2 more enemy and called in to SL for instructions. I was ordered to pull back but before I could I was re-instructed to hold my position.
                        I moved 20mtrs forward to gain additional protection from the wall.
                        I then spotted a Shilka almost due South and Reported it back but a clear shot was not available.. This was proving to be an obstacle to our forward movement and I was isolated out in front.
                        I had noted a deserted T72 some 50 Mtrs back so I made for it to check it.
                        It was driveable and armed so I cleared with SL and moved up to the wall for a 200Mtr HE shot.
                        Whuuuuump up it went oh JOY.
                        I clamber out to inspect my handy work OH BOY that felt good.

I heard a swishhhhhing OH NO --- BLUE ON BLUE --- A friendly Heli [ errrm I don’t think so] had targeted the T72 and I covered most of Cayo from east to West in the Southern sector.

I was medi-vaced out to recuperate and be stcky plastered up but I was declared unable to return to active duty until Thursday evening.

Barna Baby Out Rggrrrrr

Good times all – Great stuff
                        Last edited by Barnaby; 07-19-2007, 03:44 PM.
                        Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

That could've been me behind the friendly fire incident at Cayo. I was manning a MK19 Stryker in No Debates squad. I carelessly fired 4 or 5 rounds at your position in the rocks, taking out 2 or 3 friendlies, before I realized my mistake....so sorry.
                          sigpic
                          |TG-1st|Grunt
                          ARMA Admin (retired)
                          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Nah Grunt I was further forward than that but my fellow troopers were being straddled by your nades.

Ps It was Dslyecxi who was flying the Heli
                            LoL But I was just a casu of war.

I had thought that might happen so I was on my way away but stopped to admire my tanking
                            NP
                            Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
                              Paraiso, Somato, Cayo …….

We started off as a small Squad of 4 led by Shafik then Bobik, me and ……..
                              Our sniper was called to make a single head shot to take out the MG’er this he did with consummate ease. AWESOME.
                              This was me thanks to the sniping guide and hints I found somewhere on this forum

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X