Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saturday, Aug 11 - Battle for Ortego (Evolution)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday, Aug 11 - Battle for Ortego (Evolution)

I started writing this up and didn't finish on the weekend, but here it is now.

I know I missed some people in the squad, and I'm sure I've missed some details, so feel free to add.

Alpha Squad:

SL: curtagain
    Jex - FTL
    Wolftone - CAS spotter
    Protoman-swe - FTL
    Rookie
    Barnacle of Doom
    Angel of Death - Special Forces
    JAMerica -Medic

@2:30 am, Alpha 1 inserted via RHIB from Dolores and assumed an overwatch position in rocky ground to begin reconnaissance of enemy positions on the Southern edge of Ortego.

2 BRDM's, 2 Shilka's, and 2 UAZ's were quickly identified. Alpha 1 did not have any AT capability, with the rest of the squad still in transport from main base. The SL made the decision to call in CAS to eliminate enemy armour positions in Southern Ortego, prior to any assault. Alpha 1 painted targets for the Harrier with great effect. All heavy and light armour were eliminated and it was quite a show from the ground.

Alpha 2 arrived with a LB and were immediately met with infantry. Alpha 1 was ordered to rendezvous with Alpha 2 where our approach into Ortego was planned. After patching up wounded members of the squad, we continued North.

Fighting was intense through the backyard gardens and (seemingly abundant) cemetaries with the squad taking several casualties.

Concurrent with our operations special forces were inserted North of Ortego, with orders to disable the power stations and communications. They eventually captured an enemy T72 and met up with Alpha in the Northern end of Ortego, wiping out the remaining infantry (and a UAZ?)

Below is a map showing our approximate movements and enemy positions.

THOUGHTS:

1. CAS was superb, and was really a nice treat for the troops hunkered down with no AT. I think limiting AT/AA in squad load-outs will promote a more combined-arms operation (as has been pointed out ad naseum in other forums)

2. Curtagain did an excellent job squad leading, keeping everyone busy. It was nice variety mixing up the transport with LB's , UH-60's and the RHIB's.

Re: Saturday, Aug 11 - Battle for Ortego (Evolution)

Sounds awesome, if any of you squad up again, I'd definitely want to join you guys. Anything recon/FAC and I'm there ;)
    "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, sweat and tears"

Comment

Looks like I had to leave too soon....sucks. Hopefully next time I'll be there longer great games.
      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
        Looks like I had to leave too soon....sucks. Hopefully next time I'll be there longer great games.
        Yeah, that was too bad....my virutal arse got sore sitting up on that hill in Delores for so long :)

There is nothing quite so breath taking as a successful CAS at night. I wish ArmA had something like battlerecorder (well VBS2 has something like it I think). It would make for some stunning footage.

Comment

Thanks for writing that report up JAmerica. That was definately an exhilirating experience and loved every moment. I am for now on always carrying a Laser Marker in my load out. Hope RazorEdge had a great time being my willful jet jockey :P

P.S. Is it just me, or am I sort of a pioneer for use of CAS on the Evo server?

Comment

Yep that was a good night and watching the fireworks was great fun with CAS coming in for just the right reasons - an opposing force far outgunning us was spotted so instead of rambo'ing it, we called in the air wing.

As for footage, you could try fraps though you will take a FPS hit when you start the video capture.
            Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by jex View Post
              Yep that was a good night and watching the fireworks was great fun with CAS coming in for just the right reasons - an opposing force far outgunning us was spotted so instead of rambo'ing it, we called in the air wing.

As for footage, you could try fraps though you will take a FPS hit when you start the video capture.
              Yeah, I use growler gamecam...you can save directly to divx. I'll set it up for next time ;)

Comment

Originally posted by jex View Post

Unless you have an uber PC... like me. :p

Once I recorded 4GB of uncompressed video while playing COH because I accidentally hit the record hotkey. I didn't notice it was recording at all.

I want to check out GameCam. I tried it once a long time ago and it was pretty good. It has in-game menus or something that makes it easy to record and do neat things.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Sad I was so busy I missed this AAR! Thanks JAmerica and all involved. Switch and Razor were our excellent air support. If you don't have many folks in the server but want a blast this is how as JAmerica's AAR states! Also no great SLing without great teammates! Great Fun!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X