Friday Nights AAR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday Nights AAR

The first mission we played went very well from a casualty point - nobody got hit and we completed all the objectives. Unit cohesion was ok, but there was definitely room for improvement.

The second mission went downhill and it seems people would rather just get into a mission rather than discuss the objectives.

Briefing
    The whole point of the briefing is to come up with ideas and execute a plan. Input here was minimal and really needs to be increased. People also need to listen to it, rather than plaster silly messages across the screen - "get it here" is funny the first few times, but quickly becomes repetitive and unfunny. It also points out that rather than listen to the briefing, some people prefer to goof around and as an SL, it's a bit disappointing. Due to this and other reasons (me boring the crap out of people), roles were not clearly defined and so confusion resulted at the start of the mission. As SL, I do not expect to have to remember who is doing what, that is up to the individual members. Last night I felt like I didn't have many team orientated players and we really need to work together to ensure less casualties and better mission success.

In game
    A few things here that need addressing. When we set up on the hill, people were lying on the hill side that faced the enemy. This is a great way to get yourself killed because you have absolutely no cover. I know we all do it because the AI can be dumb and it's easier to get a clear LOS, but the better option is to perhaps kneel behind the crest of the hill. That way you get good vis, stable platform and you can go prone should fire come your way.

The lack of teamwork on this hill was also apparrent. People we moving up too close, or milling around without seeming to appreciate the plan that we had discussed at the briefing. Because of this, contact was made by the enemy, rather than by us and we lost a casualty - this was totally avoidable. An understanding of good cover, movement and sticking together is what is needed here. It can be done and should be practiced so next time we go out, we kick the enemies backside.

We agreed that respawns would not be in effect - this was ignored by some.

We also learned that we do not fire at a Kamov. It took six casualties to bring that point home.

Joining players were a pain to be honest. No announcement, running off to do there own thing. In future I think we'll just disable the AI and people can wait till the next mission. I could barely believe it when someone joined the server and left because we were playing it "all military and team orientated" and that was offputting. TG is exactly about that kind of gameplay and we don't do anything else.

We need to move more as a team. Only as a cohesive unit can we hope to achieve our aims. Running off to get the most kills is counterproductive and should not even be in your agenda. Survival and mission objectives are the first two things we should be concentrating on.

Comms use was intermittent. Some where, some weren't but even contact reports were too sparse. It is no good saying you see the enemy. The whole squad needs to know Direction, Range, Size and Type. If they are coming your way is vital as well because we need to know how to react. The guy that calls out the contact can be the only one to see it. In a squad of 10, that means 9 people ar relying on you to provide accurate information.

Cover was pretty good. I did notice a few people covering the flanks and 6 and that is exactly what needs to be done. Too many people want to see what is going on up ahead. If everyone does that and nobody covers six then it's pretty easy to imagine what happens when an enemy squad wonders up behind us. All Round Defence is required at ALL times when operating in unsecure areas where SA is minimal.

When coordinating fire, and if everyone is in the same squad, you can use 0-3 (i think) which sends a "ready to fire message". A simple text can replace that if not in the same squad. TS seems to be the worst way to do it (even though it should be the best)

Conclusion
    So it is fairly obvious that there are several points here that need addressing. There were some good points to the mission, but overall these were marred by the bad points. If we are to work effectively as a team, then effort has to be put in to make a change and if John Rambo is your style then you won't fit in here unless you are willing to make a change. 'As long as i'm alright it doesn't matter what happens to the rest' attitude needs to be replaced with 'survival of my team is what I strive for'. High scores are not what I look for in a good player, it's the guy who covers the six who impresses me the most.

I know this AAR is pretty negative but I would have to lie for it to be anything otherwise. What I hope to achieve here is that people can see the holes that need filling and start to make gains in areas where they perhaps feel themselves lacking. But this is up to individuals to address (and the community here will help if asked) otherwise what makes us different from any other pubby server out there.
    Jex.

Re: Friday Nights AAR

Originally posted by jex View Post
    We also learned that we do not fire at a Kamov. It took six casualties to bring that point home.
    I dare say this ruined the mission for the 6 (out of the 11 playing) people that were killed (which included me), and is a good example how one person can gut a mission in about 3 seconds in ArmA.

Remember that half the TG player base asked for no respawn missions to be played...but this is the type of behavoir that makes playing these types of missions a waste of time.

Comment

Good point but which half lol. Also, does this mean the other half expect to die and therefore feel they should be turned on (edit: not that kind of turned on)? That mentality, if it exists, really needs to be addressed as survival is achievable and rewarding.

Nice Avatar btw ;)
      Jex.

Comment

Patching the holes and retraining to be ready for the nex Friday mission.

As an oldie who did do some RW training I recall if we go a live contact on a down hill slope we assessed and fought, called up support but we didn't go back over the skyline once contact made. You presented a far too easy target if you did.
        Actually I seem to recall we often rolled over the top to blend in or use a bush etc to exit through to get over the top as having this behind you afforded you a better chance of not being detected.

What should happen is every hill crest should be checked [binoed] by the point man before moving over and if enemy is spotted stay safe side to attack from as Jex says rgrrrrr.
        "I like a man who grins when he fights"
        Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I too used to be in the Army but RL tactics go so far and a lot are redundant to Arma. Enemy Ai do not notice skylining troops. In fact they don't notice you at all at ranges where they really should. Since they can track you when they can't see you and the bushes don't work as they should in RL, accomadations need to be made.

Since we went over the skyline before recce, and since the AI can't see us anyway, we had the opportunity to sort it out but that was blown by others moving too far forward. Nobody should have gone over the crest to begin with and we all should have been looking to set up our attack rather than blundering in.
          Jex.

Comment

Sounds like a few command & control issues. I believe that will get better as these Friday missions progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
              Sounds like a few command & control issues. I believe that will get better as these Friday missions progress.
              If you mean that some players couldn't do what was agreed, then yes. If you're casting aspersions to my leadership, since you weren't there this comment becomes assine. As you made such a brief and blanket statement, I cannot tell what you mean.
              Jex.

Comment

If you mean that some players couldn't do what was agreed, then yes. If you're casting aspersions to my leadership, since you weren't there this comment becomes assine. As you made such a brief and blanket statement, I cannot tell what you mean.
                I've played with Jex before and he's a very level headed person and to my belief a great SL. as i've stated before, many people lack interest in briefing and also don't care about how the mission is executed. just that they want to shoot something.

Good AAR btw, I found it to explain alot of how i feel in my experiences with no respawn coop at TG

Comment

Whoa, there. Back up the gravy train, man. C&C doesn't only apply to the commander. I understand; it was the guys under you not following your orders. Command & control applies to the entire chain of command, and when the guys beneath you run amok despite your best efforts... my statement applies.

Don't get offended. The statement wasn't libel against your ability to lead a squad.

Comment

This drives me nuts. I've never witnessed such behavior. Is it because I'm an admin? Hell, I was on the server around 8 pm mountain time and had a great experience with players such as Blackmain, Loyal, Ivan (great job SL'ing), curt, Hawkeye, and bobik.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up I didn't know what you meant and it looked like it could go either way :)
                      Jex.

Comment

Fairly easy to get things misconstrued on an internet forum where we're absent of tones, inflections, and visual cues in a person's behavior. Sorry for the misconception.

Comment

I think it would be a good idea to disable A.I. and even whoever is admin, voted or not, to lock the missions when doing a no-respawn COOP. Especially if the SL/Commander believes they have enough to successfully complete the mission. Perhaps we can sit down and draft a guide for these nights and make it official process for how to join. Like if the mission is in progress the server will be locked, if you find you can't join wait patiently on TS. THen whomever is running the mission when it is finished unlocks the server and announces for the new players to join. This would severly cut down on people in and out and hopefully help in getting everyone on the same page.

Please PM the admins with names of anyone who displays a completely uncooperative attitude and unwillingness to listen to common sense teamwork. Some people are noobs and that is understandable, but when they are unwilling to be part of the team that is completely unacceptable.
                          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
                            I think it would be a good idea to disable A.I. and even whoever is admin, voted or not, to lock the missions when doing a no-respawn COOP. Especially if the SL/Commander believes they have enough to successfully complete the mission. Perhaps we can sit down and draft a guide for these nights and make it official process for how to join. Like if the mission is in progress the server will be locked, if you find you can't join wait patiently on TS. THen whomever is running the mission when it is finished unlocks the server and announces for the new players to join. This would severly cut down on people in and out and hopefully help in getting everyone on the same page.
                            I think that quite a few people turned up yesterday without realising this was going on. I have no idea if people read the forums here but if they don't, that causes issues in itself though I don't think we can address that.
                            Jex.

Comment

Just to add further clarity. It was not everyone who played that fall into these areas discussed. I was pleased to see examples of good team orientated play. What I am not prepared to do is point people out either way as I don't think that is fair and is counter-productive to learning. Mistakes were made, lessons were learned and the whole idea of an AAR is to discuss those facets so we can move on and become better players. I hope the next time we go out we will all have improved some :)
                              Jex.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X