AAR - The Sierra Tango Sweep

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAR - The Sierra Tango Sweep

Due to some server issues (kaboom!), ShackTac found itself sans an ArmA server and associated TS server right as our weekly session was getting underway on Saturday. We decided to give the TG server a shot and play some Evo, which we'd played only once before as an organized group - and then, for only a brief period of time. So, over the course of a few minutes, we got everyone checked out with TG and then popped about 25 ShackTac'ers who were interested in trying Evo onto the server. A few TG'ers showed up at the start, which led to a cap of 30 players, and then people from both groups came and went as the mission progressed.

It was worth checking out, and we ended up having some fun clearing a few of the towns. We went with a pretty low-key, infantry-centric approach, as I'm fond of doing. No CAS was used, and the heaviest asset we had for the first 2/3rds of the session was a Stryker ATGM. For that first 2/3 we had three infantry squads, with each having a max of three vehicles - HMMWVs with M2s and Mk19s, an M113 or two, and one Vulcan about halfway through for air defense.

The progression of the night was from Dolores to Ortego, then Corazol. I (and most of the ShackTac guys) ended up heading off shortly after Corazol was secured.

I've put up a commented gallery of screenshots you can look through if you're interested in seeing how it went.
    http://dslyecxi.com/screens/Armed_As..._TG/index.html

There's also a video available here:
    http://dslyecxi.com/videos/oct25_tg_evo.wmv

All in all it was enjoyable. I was impressed that, for the most part (at least until the tail end of the session), the TG'ers playing alongside were respecting the "No CAS, no heavy armor" rules. I think it made for much more memorable fighting than what might have occurred otherwise.

To the TG'ers who showed up and played with us, good games.

Also, man. The TG fetish with hopping into enemy vehicles and then proceeding to get blown to pieces by friendly soldiers who don't know you're in an enemy vehicle is hilarious. We had a TG'er come barreling around a corner in a UAZ AGS in Dolores, right into the guns of 1st Squad. It wasn't pretty, and it reiterated the fact that using enemy vehicles in a multi-squad, multi-channel environment is EXTREMELY dangerous. You can find the screen of the results here:
    http://dslyecxi.com/screens/Armed_As.../target10.html

Re: AAR - The Sierra Tango Sweep

Very difficult to differentiate between OPFOR-controlled and BLUFOR-controlled enemy vehicles on Regular; on Veteran, you have to make it explicitly clear to allies, as tags won't show up period.

The player learned a lesson, undoubtedly.

Comment

Enemy vehicles should only be used as a last resort or in a spec ops situation with a low population count. Large scale operations don't warrant the use of the vehicle especially with the chance for FF accidents.
      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Thanks for the screens and videos and GG's all! LOL's on that last screen!

Comment

that was my first time experiencing evo with that many players at once. it really is alot different than 5-10 players. and again im sorry for shooting you in the face curt. you were in the direction of enemy tango's, i thought you were a PKM gunner lol/

Comment

I just about got on last night, I think i grabbed slot 30, joined up with mingmong and we headed out. It was great to experience so many people on the server, with Hummers and m113's and strykers rolling by. And not having those vehicles being part of my squad made me feel like there was a battle going on around me rather than me being in one squad and we're doing all the work. I too prefer the infantry side of things and feel that the more you include (higher firepower) vehicles in Arma, the more it detracts from the game.

We had a suprise attack on our flank as we were setting up to take Dolores(?) but soon took it out and nice to see everyone working together. The only bummer I had was my very poor framerate which ultimatelty lead me to leave (disappointingly) early. Still, it was a great experience and coming in to see 30 people in the arma channel was a bit of a suprise :)
            Jex.

Comment

No prob. I forgot with all the fun being had! GG's

Comment

I wish I could have been there.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse