Sunday Event AAR - 13.1.08

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Event AAR - 13.1.08

Thanks to everyone who organized this event, and to everyone who showed up. I had a great time as Medic for the Command element, along with Squinty and Loyal as Squad Lead. Excellent job and thanks for an awesome game. I'm glad I could delay my leaving!

Took some pictures along the way, but not enough time to properly embed them here. Check em out here: http://picasaweb.google.com/talshafik/ArmaEvent
    Last edited by Shafik; 01-13-2008, 08:09 PM.

Re: Sunday Event AAR - 13.1.08

Indeed this was a great session! I'll post more later but now I must sleep!

A big thanks to everyone from TG who came out an participated!

A special big thanks to Dsylexci and everyone from Shack Tac who came out to boost our numbers as well. We nearly filled out every position on a Coop-26 mission.

Excellent teamwork and coordination tonight. We got hurt pretty bad in the first patrol mission and ended up falling back after clearing the first objective. It made no sense to continue on at half strength after only completing half your mission.

Even more impressive was the second mission where we only suffered two casualties..and that was only against an entrenched enemy within buildings in a fortified compound. In that mission we had coordinated Stryker squads, AT squads, recon/sniper and CAS all working together.

Again, I'll post more later but thanks again to all who came out!
    LoyalGuard

Comment

Here is a gallery of shots from the session. I'll post some commentary tomorrow when I have a bit more time. Thanks to everyone who played, it was fun.

http://dslyecxi.com/screens/Armed_As..._TG/index.html

Comment

I really enjoyed this session. It was my first time playing Armed Assault in several months and this event proved to me that the title still has a lot of potential to offer great tactical gameplay. My thanks to everyone in my fire team for being patient with me, as it took some time to start shaking off some of the rust.

While we were unable to complete all of our objectives for the first mission, I felt it was an overall success and a great building block for future sessions. The in-game VoIP seemed a little quirky, so I suggest we stick with TeamSpeak for now. It was quite easy to keep the radio net clear of too much traffic by using its Channel Commander function.

More importantly, the session was a lot of fun for me. I look forward to the next one and hope more members either discover ArmA or decide to give it another chance at Tactical Gamer.

Comment

Great fun. Sorry I missed the second mission, had to eat and take care of some chores around the house.

Atomic Dog: Do it, hit it with a crowbar!
          Delta: I don't have a crowbar.
          Atomic Dog: Hit it with the dog!

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Comment

Thanks to all who organised and lead. Unfortunately after less then an hour my game locked up and I had to do a hard restart, sorry for suddenly dissapearing just as things were getting good but TS was locked up as well:row__738:

I didn't bother to rejoin at this point as I knew I would be far out of the loop. I think I know what the problem was and hope to be ready for the next coop event. It was brief but it felt realy good to get some TG Arma again :)

Comment

Great games guys. Had a good time leading my FireTeam until we got flanked. Good work long bow and MMD. Sorry I had to split after the first mission, but some other commitments.
              |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Here are some more of my observations for this AAR:

SimHQ Patrol 04

Participants:
                |TG| LoyalGuard (Squad Leader)
                |TG-12th|tHa_KhAn (Fire Team Leader)
                |TG-4th|Atomic Dog (Fire Team Leader)
                Pfeil22 (Fire Team Leader)
                |TG| Squinty
                Kenneth Hagler
                [BMF]A|Pvt.bobik
                mmd
                Dslyecxi - [ShackTacNCO]
                Matrim
                |TG|AdeptAbyss
                |TG-4th|Delta
                Long Bow

Comments:

I chose a horrible zig-zag path for this "patrol mission". Dyslexci made a good point that it was a patrol mission but we treated like a covert attack mission. Even though I hadn't played Patrol 04 before I had played two of the other patrol missions so I knew basically what to expect: We had a patrol route with two "areas of focus" where we could expect resistance. I should have overcome the desire to be prepared for resistance and let it flow more like a patrol.

We suffered fairly heavy casualties in this mission. Our reinforced squad of 13 (2.5 Fireteams (11), 1 SL, 1 Medic) had 4 KIA's and 1 disconnect by the time we complete the first objective. Fireteam Alpha was down to two men and Charlie had to be folded into Bravo. After consulting with my fireteam leaders I decided to fall back instead of pushing forward towards an enemy of unknown strength.

Again, the misison was not a success, but we used pretty good communication and teamwork.

SimHQ Assault 11

Participants:
                |TG| LoyalGuard - [TG Admin] (Squad Leader)
                Silent - [ShackTacREG] (Fireteam Leader)
                Dslyecxi - [ShackTacNCO] (Fireteam Leader)
                Protoman-swe (Fireteam Leader)
                kevb0 - [GoonTacSPC] (Fireteam Leader)
                Red Barron - [ShackTacREG] (Sniper Leader)
                Evil Koala - [ShackTacFNG] (CAS Leader)
                HunterHR
                Staneth - [ShackTacREG]
                |TG-12th|Shafik - [Dragoons]
                Kenneth Hagler
                Lor - [GoonTacREG]
                Rg - [ShackTacREG]
                Xiathorn - [ShackTacGRNT]
                Henk - [ShackTacSPC]
                |TG|AdeptAbyss
                mmd
                |TG| Squinty
                [BMF]A|Pvt.bobik
                Matrim
                Squint
                Henk - [ShackTacSPC]
                [BMF]A|Pvt.bobik
                Vulcan
                SGT Moore
                Madcows

Comments:

Everyone was very patient as I put together assignments as new players connected to the server. For this mission I let the fireteam leaders take a much greater role in choosing approaches to our objectives and directing engagements. This was almost a must since I had a sniper detachment and Cobra that I also had to coordinate with. My basic orders were to move out in Strykers and HMMWV's until we made contact then dismount and engage. Using a solid combination of recon, infantry clearing, and CAS we moved fairly easily to the first objective without casualties and completed it. We then moved on towards heavy resistance and slow;y bur surely chewed them up using highground and coordinated movements. We were a little spread out but since we could still mutually support each other I was happy with our progress.

Our only casualties occured as we were trying to clear out the remaining few soldiers within a compound. I'm not sure it would have prevented the casualties, but I initially only ordered a single fire team into the compound. I hindsight, I should have had a least two fireteam move in and one stay outside to cover. Two members of Alpha were killed by small arms fire coming from a couple of small buildings. One thing I should have done was ordered them to frag the buildings before moving in.

After clearing the outskirts and Estrella proper I ordered Charlie to blow the fuel depot with satchels and with that we completed a very succesfull mission.

I think our use of teamspeak worked fairly well but we may need to look at a few things. One of the weakpoints is when a fireteam leader is killed, I did not have immediate comms with the remainder of the fireteam b/c n one else is using channel commander. We may need to find a solution/procedure for that. I was able to use in-game VOIP fairly succesfully but we did not end up using it too much. As VOIP gets better, we definitely need to integrate it more.

Again, thanks again to everyone that came out!!!
                LoyalGuard

Comment

This was my first event on ArmA, was great, First mission wasnt the best but we still done well.
                  The second mission was brilliant, providing sniper cover and taking down what ever contacts we could before the main force moved in. Was great to see so many people playing. Cant wait for more events like this. Good job guys

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                  So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

I had a lot of fun on the two Sunday games. I hope we can get the same turnout in the future to fill up some big missions.

Patrol 04
                    The first contacts here were handled easily but on route to the main road the an enemy camp my squad leader was taken out as the ran to cover. This could have been avoided if the entire squad had ducked behind a nearby building rather than being partially exposed. Longbow disconnected at the same time Khan died so I was left squadless. I then joined with Atomic Dog's group to replace Matrim who had been killed. AD quit and Delta took lead. At the enemy camp we took casualties and had to draw back.
                    -I'd like to play this mission again
                    -Need to watch our flanks better
                    -I noticed this (and Dsl pointed it out on TS) crouch walking is bad. The rapid stamina loss while waddling is more a flaw than a realistic feature, but should be avoided

Assault 11
                    Things learned from casualties while clearing compound:
                    -Alert squadmate you are about to fire when he is in front of you to the left or right. I almost took down Silent as I shot an opfor hiding in a medic hut
                    -Use two men to watch left and right when entering fenced area
                    -When you hear fire try to pinpoint it. Matrim was taken down and neither Kenneth nor I knew where the shots came from
                    -Loyal - the officer and soldier in the building weren't the problem. I took those two down without a scratch, but an opfor hiding around the corner of that same house killed Silent. What we should have done was nade the main yard or do a better job clearing the compound from a higher altitude (shame the Cobra was taken down). As they say hindsight is 20/20

Comment

This was my first Arma muliplayer session, and I had a lot of fun!

The main thing I need to improve for the next time is keeping track of the rest of my team. In the first mission this wasn't as much of a problem, because we were moving very slowly and methodically, but on the second mission when we were moving it took so much concentration to keep track of my fireteam leader that I couldn't effectively watch for enemies. Hopefully that's one of those things that improves rapidly with practice. :-)

Next time I'll use voice activation for Teamspeak. I had it on push-to-talk, and there were a bunch of times when I called out a report while firing and only later realized nobody heard me because I forgot to push the button or hit the wrong one in haste.

I really appreciated Pfeil's very detailed orders in the patrol mission. Given my inexperience with multi-player missions, it was a big help.

The large scale of the second mission was really neat. I enjoyed seeing and hearing stuff happening a long way off and wondering what was happening. On that note, what was the barrage along the road all about? Right after it started my team started firing on some enemies advancing towards it, so I was too busy to ask at the time...

Two suggestions for the future: it would have been good if everyone in the other teams was informed when that team on the right flank advanced on the walled compound. One of my team members called out an enemy contact report in that area--fortunately he realized his mistake while I was frantically calling "Check fire!" with the wrong button held down. :-/

Also, certain enemy weapons when slung over your shoulder look enough like an RPG tube to be hazardous to your health. Towards the end of the mission I saw a couple of guys coming around the corner and the silhouette of that weapon grabbed my attention. I checked them out carefully through my scope because I knew other friendlies had moved in way before my team, but if I hadn't had reason to expect friendlies coming from that direction I might have been more trigger-happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Hagler View Post
                        Next time I'll use voice activation for Teamspeak. I had it on push-to-talk, and there were a bunch of times when I called out a report while firing and only later realized nobody heard me because I forgot to push the button or hit the wrong one in haste.
                        If I'm not mistaken the consensus is to better leave it at push-to-talk (barking dogs, moaning GF etc.) :) Just use it 2 or 3 days and it'll become a routine to push the right button.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Hagler View Post

I will second Taxi on this. Please use push to talk. Nothing is more annoying than all the background noise that comes through on voice activation. A little practice is all it will take to remember to push the button. I have mine mapped to a mouse button as I find it convenient to always have my thumb near the button to speak.
                          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Here are my thoughts on what we played.

SimHQ Patrol 04

I have to start off by giving a bit of grief to whoever coordinated the 150 meter 5-ton trip. I was very amused. :)

As I said on TS, the mission felt like it was being taken as a covert attack on a base, and our general pace and level of caution matched that. It was simply slow - we took a lot of time to skirt around the town and it seemed like we didn't really gain anything for that effort (first contact resulted in at least two KIA).

One other thing I mentioned on TS is regarding movement speeds and postures. Lots of people were playing "follow the leader" and using crouch-walking. This really does not work well - the downsides are that you move very slowly and incur a significant stamina penalty. In adversarial, the heavy breathing also becomes a factor. The only upside is that you are a smaller target, but this is made up for by your slow movement speed.

Here is a screen of one of these crouch-walk fests:

In such a situation, the better course of action is to stand up and move at a walking pace, or dart quickly from covered position to covered position. Corners, alleys, and other danger areas can be covered by single player(s) while the rest of the team(s) continues moving forward. Those covering players can then fall in at the rear of the fireteam once their team has moved past.

Another thing worth mentioning in this mission is interval. I saw a number of situations where players were too close together while either in contact or in imminent danger of contact. This resulted in a number of casualties on at least two occasions - one enemy engaged someone by surprise, and he was then able to engage and kill another before that person could react due to how close they were.

Finally, we come to comms. Ideally a squad should not be broken into multiple fireteam channels. When operating in such close proximity, most of what is said is going to apply to everyone. I can't think of any time during the mission where someone could have said something that would not have been useful for everyone to hear. Since we were split up into fireteam channels, comms ended up being compartmentalized and I did not feel that there was enough usage of VOIP to make up for this (and even if so, it's still the "wrong" way to do things as far as I'm concerned). I would ideally like to see squads split up on a one-squad, one-channel basis (ie: around 12-14 people in a channel). VOIP will help a lot in this regard, but the public version of 1.09 is not totally up to task on VOIP yet.

SimHQ Assault 11

I ended up pulling in a bunch of ShackTac members on short notice to help flesh out the playercount. Lor, Red Barron, Staneth, Evil Koala, Xiathorn, Henk, kevb0, HunterHR, Silent, Squint, Rg, and Madcows jumped on, and several other ShackTac people were shooed away to prevent an overflow. :)

The comms in this mission ended up suffering from the same compartmentalization issue from the previous mission. I would rather have had Alpha/Bravo/Delta/SL as one squad channel, Snipers in another, and the CAS in a third. As it was, SL and FTLs talking over chan command made it difficult to communicate with people in my channel and oftentimes confusing compared to the way ShackTac normally runs comms. It also resulted in a lot of redundancy with FTLs having to pass SL orders to their guys, when the SL could have been saying it to a squad channel instead. VOIP would help this, but, again, it would be easier to not try to compartmentalize things so much and instead rely on good comm discipline.

I was happy to see that ShackTac members were leading many of the teams, as it meant I had familiar leaders to work with.

First contact in Chantico resulted in me hopping onto chan command and giving a lot of orders to the other fireteams. I didn't want to take over from the SL, but at the same time, I knew what we needed to do and knew how to quickly communicate that to my fellow FTLs. After the urgent things were done I stepped back off chan command and tried to let SL lead more and do things how he wanted to.

One of the amusing highlights of this part was watching my automatic rifleman blast at least five cars' tires out. I gave him ROE to disable any vehicles that didn't stop, and he was happy to comply, as were the innocent civvies.

The movement from Chantico to the comm tower went off smoothly. I kept two of my guys in the Stryker and emphasized that everyone else should be dismounted for the movement. It worked well.

The rest of the mission went similarly smooth. One thing I was reminded of (we don't use Javelins much) is that the Javelin CLU works great as a recon tool. The magnification level it has is phenomenal, and when I remembered that, I was able to use it to good effect to spot for my Stryker and communicate threats to the other fireteams.

My closing comment about this mission would be that it was a bit easy with the assets we had - mortars, a Cobra, lots of vehicles, Javelins, a whole sniper section, etc. Taking the same concept and beefing it up some (add more enemy infantry, take our Javelins away, give us AT-4s instead, severely limit the amount of mortar fire available, turn the Cobra into an AH-6, give most people ironsights or aimpoints) would be interesting. This is no fault of TG's - SimHQ likes to have these kinds of assets readily available in their missions, and it was their mission, after all.

All in all it was interesting and enjoyable. I'm guessing there are several ShackTac members who would be up for playing in future missions should you guys need a few extra players.

It's nice to see the weekly TG games show up in a no-respawn format, too. :)

Comment

My closing comment about this mission would be that it was a bit easy with the assets we had - mortars, a Cobra, lots of vehicles, Javelins, a whole sniper section, etc. Taking the same concept and beefing it up some (add more enemy infantry, take our Javelins away, give us AT-4s instead, severely limit the amount of mortar fire available, turn the Cobra into an AH-6, give most people ironsights or aimpoints) would be interesting. This is no fault of TG's - SimHQ likes to have these kinds of assets readily available in their missions, and it was their mission, after all.

In our defense... we usually don't play as often as Shack Tac or Tactical Gamer so we are not nearly as good... and my point from the start of the missions we made was that I wanted missions that a squad plus size of players could get together for, complete in 45 to 60 mins then move on, and finally I wanted to make the missions challenging, but not so challenging that we always lose other wise it gets boring, and no fun... IMO... I hate playing 3 or 4 mission in a night, doing most everything tactically correct but then always losing.

But thanks for playing the SimHQ missions, and the feedback on them.
                              Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X