Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

April 11th AAR, or how Vic's learning to lead (one step at a time)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 11th AAR, or how Vic's learning to lead (one step at a time)

Well, I fell this deserves some afterwork. It's been one of my few evenings when I got to join TG Arma (I usually do this in very early GMT mornings and only for 1-2 missions) and it was awesome.

I JIP'ed in the middle of Urban Engagements (a mission I personally hate and usually find it quite a mood killer for tactical gameplay), which we in fact actually finished after a nice urban sweep.

Next mission (and my nemesis) is Boldfront (the "lots of armor" mission). Noone wanted to lead and we C&B'd miserably on the first attempt, so I dared to take charge when the same thing was bound to happen for a second time. Parenthesis: mind you, I'm comfortable with FTL roles, but SL isn't (yet) my thing. Add my non-native English causing me difficulties in expressing my intentions and a mission sans-fireteams and you can spot the way to chaos :) I lured everyone to Gulan, in order to establish a base of fire and repel the imminent armor attack, started asking for AT guys to take out the flanking BMP (only to be reminded that I'm holding an AT slot :row__642:), which got destroyed in the end, and asked for a regroup at the northest side of Gulan, only to be amazed at the number of people bunching up there. I asked Bravo to move up the hill in front of Somato while the rest of us would be covering them and, after a couple attempts, got two guys moving. 10 seconds later, two dozen guys are running towards the hill, with me yelling at them to cover each other and wondering when did Bravo get more than 7 people. The answer came 2 seconds later, when I looked left, only to see I was the only one left in Gulan :row__635: (Lesson 1: designate, designate, designate)

It was time: chaos ensued on the hill and the death counts filled the chat window. The men left managed to occupy the hilltop courtyard and started engaging enemies in Somato, while I was rushing to join them. While two of the guys were still covering the rear left flank, explosions filled the courtyard and many of us got wounded. Rushing outside to check what happend, more got killed and I managed to nail a flanking opfor 2 meters in front of me, right beside the wall. (Lesson 2: Delegate and separate.)

With fewer and fewer friendlies around, I took an AT shot at a distant T72 near the church, disabling it. My G36 joined the friendly sniper on the quest to take out its crew, while the others were tackling nearby threats. After deciding we must move into town or we'll be slaughtered, I checked the left flank, only to spot another T72 at the town's edge. Disabled it too, and left the cleaning part to the guys who were to cover us, regrouping my fellow infantrymen who were to join me in entering Somato.

We got there with no issues, and made the count: there were only 4 of us left. Switching to direct chat, we started moving slowly into Somato, after disabling another BMP and nailing one opfor after another. Back to the comfortable fireteam size, we were carefully covering each other, up to the point where no visible threats remained. I've decided we needed to take out remaining armor for good and we started looking for some RPG's or a satchel. One moment of relaxation later and I got shot in the back from the church's hill (Lesson 3: always have someone cover your six)

The remaining guys managed to satchel a disabled BMP & T72, plus another seemingly functional BMP, only to be taken out by a hidding superhero crewmen while attempting to nail the last disabled T72 near the church.

I know I lacked alot on the leading side of this mission (and, please, do share my mistakes and your alternative suggestions), but my downfalls made it even more exciting from my POW.

Moving past a SimHQ Assault 09, where me and Gearson were providing covering fire for the assaulting infantry from a Stryker and got misteriously taken out (prolly by the hovering helo?), we finally get to the a la carte SimHQ OPFOR 01.

Thanks to vanity's great SL-ing and every fireteam's contribution, we got an almost flawless assault on Somato: with fireteams surrounding the NW part of the town and decimating one RACS after another, we completed the mission before actually setting foot in the town. Special props go to my FT squaddie Mace, who was one of the most reliable fireteam members I've ever had and saved my behind quite a couple times :)
    The most dangerous thing on a battlefield is an officer with a map.

Re: April 11th AAR, or how Vic's learning to lead (one step at a time)

Nice write up Vic. Sounds like you're getting the hang of it :)
    Dizlor

Comment

Well, guess tonight my leadership career ended. I gave a shot at SL-ing when nobody wanted to step up, after being killed quite early in the previous run as an FTL. I didn't expect to perform anywhere close to the established leaders, since I barely have any time to play and have little experience with the missions, but I certainly didn't expect the "support" I received on TS after laying out my plan.

I blame only myself and my lack of authority, leadership and tactical abilities for the slow agonizing crash-and-burn of the mission. I just want to point out to the FTLs that you are the eyes and ears of your SL, so please let him know of your status, put markers on the map where you saw contacts and don't be afraid to maneuver/retreat when you're in a disadvantageous position, but let the SL know about it.

Comment

Don't give up Vic. I gave a shot at leading a mission yesterday, with mixed results. I know it can be disheartening to have a mission go awry but as long as you learn from your mistakes, you'll only improve.

Comment

Originally posted by Vic View Post
          Well, guess tonight my leadership career ended. I gave a shot at SL-ing when nobody wanted to step up, after being killed quite early in the previous run as an FTL. I didn't expect to perform anywhere close to the established leaders, since I barely have any time to play and have little experience with the missions, but I certainly didn't expect the "support" I received on TS after laying out my plan.

I blame only myself and my lack of authority, leadership and tactical abilities for the slow agonizing crash-and-burn of the mission. I just want to point out to the FTLs that you are the eyes and ears of your SL, so please let him know of your status, put markers on the map where you saw contacts and don't be afraid to maneuver/retreat when you're in a disadvantageous position, but let the SL know about it.
          We appreciate your efforts for commanding the missions on that night, Vic. It can be a real drag and disappointment when people don't act like you want them to. It isn't always your fault, as not everyone seems to pay attention. People don't report in, don't move in their appropriate formations, don't move to their designated areas, refuse to take over leadership once their leader dies.. It's annoying.

You get my compliments for being the first leader I've seen on TG that did not charge into the battle and took position on the front line. I applaud you for sitting in a covered valley, by a humvee, safe and giving out orders. I think all commanders should do that. Without the commander, the mission is just about always over. Not physically, but mentally the fight is already lost.

However, as you may or may not know, the helicopters in ACE (and ArmA in general) are very, very, very vulnerable. Then letting the only two medics know that they're going to be inserted by helicopter to the wounded might be your decision, but it will be met with resistance. If not for the fear of their virtual lives, it will be because helicopters are irritating. They're loud, take long to put down, have the tendency to crash if not flown by a very experienced pilot.. And the medics would be in the helicopter the entire game, not seeing any action and they'll probably be too late to get to the injured (that's why I always keep them with the squads).

That said, I'm glad you reconsidered and did not use the helicopter. Helicopters in ACE are just.. urgh. So vulnerable. I've yet to see the cobra in any of the SimHQ missions survive.

Comment

Don't worry mate, I still have not officially led a mission, so I suggest taking your time and trying SL positions first. ArmA is daunting, especially ACE with all the new features, but don't give up. Listen to the established leaders when they are in charge, and take notes.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I understood your concern and reconsidered my decision, but it would have been much more constructive if you guys tried to explain it to me instead of starting to mock it on TS in the "oh noes, we're all gonna die" attitude. As I said, it was my first time and I'm more than open for suggestions, especially from experienced leaders.

My initial intend was to keep the fireteams grouped in rather close proximity (Alpha with Bravo, Charlie with Delta), in order to mutually support each other and send the medics later on to the one encountering heavy resistance, while maneuvering the other in order to support it. Unfortunately Alpha and Bravo rushed in and separated and Alpha was decimated, Charlie and Delta got pinned down and from there on everything went wrong.

I'm not very keen on trying this again anytime soon, at most I'll get back to FTL-ing and try to apply what I'd expect from my fireteams, while trying to achieve some authority and get to know the regulars a bit better. It was very interesting to see the other side of the coin, it's a really difficult and consuming job and the guys who do this almost all the time have all my respect and support.

Once again, thanks for the kind words, guys, they're more than welcome, albeit a bit late :) I hope that perhaps other rookies will have an easier time.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X