Insurgent Town, 18 July 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurgent Town, 18 July 2008

Well, the mission is ongoing as I type this so my present in-game status should be quite evident. Things were... interesting... as we had close to the full 32 on the pub server for the start of the mission. I started out as B2 Fire Team Lead, with Joan, TG's Zaboo, and 4eveRS. Blackdog was the Bravo Squad Lead and got B1 and B2 into one of the Strykers to move out west of the objective. B3 got to hoof it out to a point southeast of the objective. There was some confusion but after 5 - 10 minutes our Stryker moved out halfway to our insertion point.

4eveRS left the game on us at that point and Raa23 joined. I managed to get him to switch over to the Group channel without getting Blackdog and Grunt (Platoon Lead) involved too much. Unfortunately, Raa was at our initial spawn point, around 1/2km south of where the Stryker stopped. Raa moved out and joined us in a expeditious manner in spite of my directions.

The Stryker had stopped and crew dismounted, I believe, but I wasn't aware of it initially and ended up dismounting my fire team. We moved north towards our initial insertion point and got within 100m of it when a squad SE of us and another W of us engaged (or were engaged by) hostiles in the town. My fire team was crouched down in the open or behind bushes and also engaged the hostiles. I lost Zaboo and Joan and figured out that we had hostiles W of our location. I do not know what happened to the friendlies that were in that direction. The hostiles that enagaged us were SLA; to my knowledge, the hostiles that we engaged were insurgent. I got killed and then Raa23 was killed shortly thereafter.

At this point, the mission has been running for around an hour and it's down to the last four or five, who are making good progress clearing the town.

One problem with the comm traffic is that there can be a lot of clutter if everyone is not careful. We had folks talking on Global, Side, Vehicle, and Group simultaneously and it was somewhat difficult to keep things organized. As folks experienced the evolutionary nature of the mission, comms settled down.

Oh, and I'm stuck as a butterfly. :-(
    BarnacleofDoom

One shot - One miss!

Re: Insurgent Town, 18 July 2008

Thank you for doing this AAR Barnacle. I was just thinking of doing the same when I saw yours.

That was a crazy mission. Part of it was I think there was a ton of public players that might not have played a real hard core mission like that, where it demands some planning in the beginning, or everything will go to hell quick.
    Guess what happened. Complete breakdown. Bravo Squad Lead Blackdog came on TS near the end and said he had been taken out with a headshot almost imm. after we neared the town. I was lead for Fireteam B3, and could figure out why no other B fireteams were communicating any more. And I look over from our location on the south side of town you mention above, and realize the Stryker is just sitting there empty. Why the hell did the gunner and driver get out?????????
    I only had Jeepo and Mosley as squadmates, and out of the direction of the Stryker and last known Humvee postion PLA guys open up on us. I assumed our guys were over there watching our flank! (this is before I realized Stryker is empty). So Jeepo went down quick, and Mosley and I jump in the Stryker and move up to help reinforce Grunt and who ever else is left north of the city, because they at least are calling for help.

Like you said, it ended up 4-5 five of us left, and we were doing really good going slow and clearing the town. We knew to stay away from cars, but I had no idea that there was a car on the other side of a wall in a compound, and it exploded, leveling the area and taking me and 2 other guys. That left 2 guys, which quickly dropped to 1 after another car bomb, and the last guy said we could call the mission.

Wow, it was very exciting, and I am kind of annoyed that I played this mission again and lost. I have never completed it. I really think we need to consider it for a password co-op night to really succeed.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
      I really think we need to consider it for a password co-op night to really succeed.
      I like this idea. Thanks for nominating me Platoon Command mate. It was like herding cats but even though things fell to poop I'm glad so many pubbers were exposed to our playstyle this night.

We made a sound tactical plan to attack from the N and the S but the Northern element needed additional time to get in place. We all move out and the Northern element splits from the Southern group. Southern group stops and fire discipline immediately goes south. This leads to a general engagement while only half our force is in place and ready to fight. Panic ensues, good people are lost and comms are, let us say, hard to manage.

Lets do it again !!
      sigpic
      |TG-1st|Grunt
      ARMA Admin (retired)
      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

This mission sounds very interesting, sorry I missed it. However it sounds like it was a bit of a mess?

I think the problem with these missions are that some people approach them like Domination. In Dom you can move to contact and just start firing, adapting as needed but no real clear plan is needed. It helps to have a plan but there is the possability of success without one.

In these missions if the team isn't organised before the first shot is fired planning after that point becomes problamatic.

Comment

As Grunt said, the north group wasn't in position when the firefight on the south end started. I don't know if it was poor fire discipline or if elements were engaged by hostiles as my fire team was engaged prior to getting to our initial rally. Furthermore, most of my fire team (including myself) were taken out by a squad of troops that were behind us, appearing to be west of both our infil route and initial rally. I don't know if the opfor had patrols out or something but if they did it really screwed up our plan. Perhaps our initial rally points could be set further out to mitigate the chance of an unwanted contact.
          BarnacleofDoom

One shot - One miss!

Comment

the mess this mission became probably mirrored reality quite well. You can plan all you want but when the lead starts flying you have to be prepared to improvise and overcome.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed