X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masbete-July 22,2008

July 22, 2008 - 2200 est
    Assault on Mataredo

Situation: Upon completion of a failed rescue mission in the Southern town of Tiberia 1st Platoon rotated back to the Pariaso airfield to rest and refit for their next assignment. Though the unit performed gallantly tensions were high as the hostages were killed during the attempted rescue. Reports of the failed mission leaked to the press which led to investigation of the entire affair. Several senior soldiers retired after the failed mission and rumors ran amok that the Army itself was responsible for the deaths of the hostages.

Finally, much to the relief of platoon command, orders came down from Central Command to assault and secure the coastal town of Masbete on the NE coast of the Democratic Republic of Sahrani. A return to field operations was highly welcome as this effectively removed the platoon from the harsh spotlight of the international press.

Masbete is an important enemy stronghold that houses the garrison guarding the western approach to the town of Pita. Pita is the headquarters of the powerful SLA air force. Masbete is guarded by a large contingent of enemy armor and an equally large force of infantry and special operations troops. In addition the town is protected by air assault by a well placed Shilkas in the hills to the South of Masbete.

It is unfortunate that the platoon was unaware of the Shilkas guarding the Southern approach to Masbete. The initial deployment by UH-60 ended tragically when the Shilkas engaged and shot down the UH-60, which had been filled with men and material.

Upon the loss of the UH-60 Platoon Command assigned a two person Javelin team to paradrop on the suspected location of the enemy shilkas The javelin team paradropped in within a few minutes the enemy shilkas were located and engaged. Despite their usual accuracy the javelins failed to destroy the shilkas and the two man team fell back and called for reinforcement and ammunition. Command called for a single volunteer to paradropped in to the javelin team.

I volunteered for this dangerous assignment and after equipping myself I paradropped in close to the Javelin team and rendezvoused . We stealthfully crept up to their position and prepared to fire. Just as we were getting ready to engage shilka number 1 rotated it's turret towards our position and I was just able to squeeze off an accurate shot as he was lining us up for the kill. Shilka # 2 was dispatched in a similar manner as it came over the ridge towards our firing position. Again, just as he was lining up to kill us I was able to squeezed off a killing shot to the upper turret of the shilka. The celebration was short lived as the platoon had a major job left in clearing Masbete.

With an air assault from the South now possible the remainder of the platoon airlifted by UH-60 to an LZ NW of the objective. In the interim time five members of the platoon assembled at an OP outside of town to observe and note crucial data on troop deployment and armor placement. This group included the lone survivor of the previous UH-60 disaster, the three man Javelin team and a sniper that had been inserted earlier to gather intel and mark enemy positions.

Within a short time the UH-60 had landed safely west of the OP and the remainder of the platoon formed up at the OP. The javelin team rearmed and all members were briefed on their assignments in the upcoming assault. The assault on Masbete was preceded by artillery, Javelins and AT4 anti tank rounds .
    After several minutes of high effective fire many armor pieces and enemy infantry were destroyed. This allowed an advance assault team led by Beta ,Sam Hoy, Grunt and Mosely to infiltrate the West end of the city and take up preliminary positions as the main body of the platoon prepared to move out. This initial assault was supported by excellent suppressive fire from the remainder of the platoon. Special consideration should be paid to the platoon medic who performed valiantly under fire to treat a wounded member of the initial assault team. Under heavy enemy fire the initial assault team suffered a casualty and called for a medic. Still under heavy fire the medic moved to the assault team’s position and administered treatment to the wounded soldier, allowing him to rejoin the attack.

The initial assault team secured a barn and two houses on the western end of the town and the platoon commander then ordered the remainder of the platoon to advance and join the assault. The fighting was intense, often house to house, and lasted for more than 15 minutes . No quarter was given and none received from either side. Under chaotic and confusing conditions the platoon eventually, inexorably, pushed east and south, eventually destroying the still standing radio tower and eliminating the remaining enemy forces.

Folks—if you weren’t there than you should’ve been. This operation was the epitome of what TG is all about. We had an effective command structure and effective soldiers. Everyone had a role to play and all orders were carried out accordingly. It was epic. One of the best ARMA ops I've been a part of since downloading this title in November of 2006.

I’d like to thank Blackdog for commanding the platoon so ably on this night and I’d also like to recognize Beta for leading both the Javelin team and the initial assault team on Masbete. Thanks guys—you and players like you are why I love gaming at TG.

Sam—Where is that picture?
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Re: Masbete-July 22,2008

Great write up Grunt, there really has been some great play recently and last night was superb! It's not hard to command when we have the quality of players that we have now on the TG Arma server2.

I would add my thanks to all and especially Beta who really is a superb squad leader. Unfortunately I wont be on tonight as I have a special screening of the "Dark Knight" to go and see! Enjoy tonight, I am sure it will be just as epic!

Best
    BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
      Though the unit performed gallantly tensions were high as the hostages were killed during the attempted rescue. Reports of the failed mission leaked to the press which led to investigation of the entire affair. Several senior soldiers retired after the failed mission and rumors ran amok that the Army itself was responsible for the deaths of the hostages.
      I don't know about you all, but when I don't recall seeing any hostages at all...

Comment

Yeah I was tons of fun guys, and that medic has a name *wink*
        "Today's public figures can no longer write their own speeches or books, and there is some evidence that they can't read them either." -- Gore Vidal

|TG| Jaman

Comment

Originally posted by Jaman View Post
          Yeah I was tons of fun guys, and that medic has a name *wink*
          I thought it was either you or Nox....
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog1-22 Reg.SAS View Post
            I would add my thanks to all and especially Beta who really is a superb squad leader.
            I make yours my words. Thank you beta, you really do a great job!
            sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

was a really fun night, excellent play! It's better then i have ever dared dreaming would be possible with this game.
              Excellent command by Blackdog and Beta, excellent behaviour by the grunts under their command!

shame i'll be in the UK from friday till sunday, so i won't be able to join you guys, i should be arriving back in the early hours of mondaymorning (i'm GMT+1), if i can stay awake after a weekend in the field,i'll drop in on the sunday coop match to see if anyone is still around
              sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

Great nite guys. Was great loads of fun...See you guys tonight.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
                The BigC

Comment

Quality is not the best due to YouTube.
                  [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJB7Cj0FebA[/media]

Comment

Absolute quality mate!

Nicely done!
                    BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

First very nice write up Grunt and I couldn't agree more, the level of command was top notch, team work was amazing and immersion was the best I have seen.

Sam - amazing video, nicely captured.

I also want to thank everyone who participated. Blackdog and Beta did a great job commanding and the rest did an equally good job to work under their command.

The amazing thing is that there was a small side mission between the "incident" and Masbete that was just as high quality. Truly a great TG night :icon_cool

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Hoy View Post
                        Quality is not the best due to YouTube.
                        [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJB7Cj0FebA[/media]
                        Fantastic job Sam, good music too (Phillip Glass!).

There goes the whole 'what hostages?' story though.... didn't I say 'no cameras please' before we laid into ... I mean 'found' that group??

Comment

Sam, brilliant video!

brought the whole thing back :d eventhough i have to get up early tomorrow, i shall drop in on the server later on :)
                          sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

Great video Sam, hehe premature weapons discharge ;-P
                            "Today's public figures can no longer write their own speeches or books, and there is some evidence that they can't read them either." -- Gore Vidal

|TG| Jaman

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X