Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11th Aug Server 1 - The Eastern Front

Hi guys,

Well I joined onto server 1 to find Beta running his new Airbourne Infantry map in the public domain...."Mad Fool"...a few issues came clear and overall for the number of public players on, we had a pretty good control on what was going on. A couple of mission restarts (ends) and one player kicked for ignoring comms and texts and everyone understood how the server works and how much fun it can be, playing a true tactical style game. I hope we have attracted some new members from tonight.

Unfortunately when we finally got everyone organised into two helo's we took off for our LZ near Corazol. However, the Mando missiles made short work of us, first the lead helicopter then the command helicopter.... Fortunately, this was all captured on film and I will post it here shortly.

Our second attempt over Ortego came to a similar conclusion with two downed helo's but with the majority survived. We had a locked server so unfortunately anyone that left could not get back on, but it also highly improved the level of gameplay of those left.

There was another mix-up in comms and not enough troop trucks rolled from our home base and just as we were reorganising, Beta lost connection and thus we had lost command. I took over command and lead the forces to Corazol and the surrounding hills, whilst setting up an OP and a new LZ. As we walked up the nearest hill we encountered the first SAM missile battery and destroyed it. With a safe LZ, the helo's were able to ferry the guys who had driven the trucks back to the crashed helo's and then back to base (thanks Escho). On the OP position sporadic engagements with enemy infantry patrols and observation of the Main Supply Road (MSR) between Guala and Modesto revealed a UAZ a BRDM and two more Sam missile BRDM's. The squad moved in Column formation along the ridge eastwards across the road and set up a Fireteam looking east which covered the AT squad from any infantry attacks.

The four man AT squad, Irish, Psyde, Suca, Nox were set in position in a small depression where the road crested to take any BRDM or UAZ that came over the crest. Reinforcements had now made it to the safe LZ Alpha and made their way to the squad. A two man recce patrol (Escho & Riley) were then sent to get eyes on the two BRDM Sam Missiles. Once located, two AT soldiers were then sent to take out each target. Those targets were destroyed and the troops fell back to the squad firing point. A pathfinder squad of heavy weapons had been sent to engage a nearby BRDM and infantry. A few casualties were sustained, but they took control of a nearby hill which gave good overwatch.

Once a new LZ Bravo had been established, reinforcements had arrived however the squad only had 1 AT weapon between about 20 guys. We decided to make an aggresive push on the patrol route and near Valor the squad was engaged by Multiple BMP's from all directions. Again a couple of casualties but considering the proximity of the BMP's tanks and infantry, the squad headed North in full retreat as fast as possible, we lost another guy in retreat but the majority of the squad made it to a nearby peak, near hill 106. This proved to be a strong defensive position but we now had no AT and were surrounded by armour in the valleys. A two man squad of Irish and Nixon went to check enemy bodies for ammo and satchels were found. However a surprise attack by a T72 and the guys were pinned. In the confusion Irish crossed the fire of Nixon and the squad was down another man!! Pinned down, Nox was sent to help Nixon bring back the satchels, but unfortunately the T72 arrived to park right on their hiding position with no way to move. STALEMATE!!!! This then ended when the two men were finally discovered and killed by the armour targets.

A helo was now inbound with much needed supplies but unfortunately it was shot down nearby and then destroyed by a BMP. Two men made it away safely and tried to regroup however their path was blocked by BMP's. Two became 1 with another loss, and command gave the remaining player Sambo, a route through Modesta to reach the squad via a neighbouring high peak, avoiding the nearest BMP, unfortunately he ran right into another patrol in Modesta and he was down. LZ Charlie was now established Northeast of Corazol on the road to Obregan and the reinforcements had discovered some AT tubes back at base and were inbound on another UH60. Unbeknown to command, another T72 had flanked the mountain and now sat on the new LZ out of sight of the squad on the hill now named "OP Custer". Sure enough, inbound helo was hit with fire but Ace King managed to do a great job of getting the helo low enough before being shot from the pilot seat. OP Custer now had visual on the crash site and had a path to get to the survivors. Heavy fire broke out on the crashed helo from surrounding armour and infantry and several troops were injured. The main squad then fell back to the crashed UH60 site to recover ammo and reinforce the reinforcements!! A strong firefight broke out with two BMP's down, 1 UAZ and several infantry. Not many serious casualties but a few wounded. it was decided to blow the crashed UH60 once ammo had been removed when suddenly another BMP arrived and another couple of guys went down.

The mission had now been going for nearly 3 hours and the troops were tired and dropping. Command decided that due to lack of ammo no further advance on the enemy position could be made and so a rescue mission would be launched from base with the UH60.

The helicopter arrived safely and the squad evacuated with the wounded back onto the UH60 to retreat to home base. The squad did not meet all their objectives, but did destroy several pieces of armour including BRDM's, Sam Missiles, a T72 several UAZ's and possibly up to 20 infantry maybe more. To that end, it was a success against the SLA and that the squad returned to base to live to fight another day when ammo has been resupplied.

It's a great Mission Beta, well done mate. A few bugs to sort out and a little more ammo and it will become a favourite! Welcome to all the new guys, sorry if I forgot anyone, but you all did a great job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsoT73tzfnQ

Updated.
    Last edited by Blackdog1; 08-12-2008, 04:16 PM.
    BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Re: 11th Aug Server 1 - The Eastern Front

Sounds like it was an interesting mission after I dropped.

I made some tweaks to the mission, namely fixing some bugs. The Javelin works now, so the armour won't be such a big deal. Also, I doubled the amount of ammo available at base, still only 20 satchels and 20 M136s though. Should be plenty.

Also, I managed to get the flares working for the UH-60s, so the SAMs might not be as devastating, but still will be a very formidable defense.

Look forward to trying it again!

Comment

It was a good time and I'm sure we picked up a few new players that enjoy our way of playing.

Originally posted by beita View Post
      I doubled the amount of ammo available at base, still only 20 satchels and 20 M136s though. Should be plenty.
      We were just about out of M136s when we ended the mission.

Overall I like the mission and I'm sure we'll be able to complete it on server 2 :)
      Nox
      Formerly 22ndRRR and |TG-7th|

Comment

Dang I'm sorry I buggered out around 2, sounds like you guys had way fun without me. I'm glad I stumbled upon your guys server for my first game; I can say entirely without sarcasm that I had an absolute blast running around, practicing maneuvers in that open field (with blackdog patiently trying to get us into a staggered column), flying around in blackhawks and getting shot down, then riding around in the trucks, then finally getting to go blow stuff up, it was way fun. I have to thank our able commanding officers though, beta and blackdog you made the game! Hope to do it again soon.

Comment

Welcome Stupac...Sounds like I missed a good one.

Bravo to BD and Beta for making it work on SVR 1.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Really sorry I missed this one! Had to spend some quality time with the girlfriend last night! May be on tonight, but not sure! Really want to try this out!

Comment

Ah, nice work on that video there.

Captured it VERY well hehe.

Comment

Vid up!
                BlackDog1

Comment

Ya great work there :)

Thanks for the mission and Blackdogs patience

Comment

Its a pleasure guys, you will find all the regulars here like to see good new players arriving on the servers. last night was just the tip of the Iceberg! If you get involved in a really good 20 person battle with good clear comms and rounds flying in left right and centre ,it can get pretty hectic but many will attest to getting the heart rate jumping when it all goes off!!!

:D
                    Welcome onboard!
                    BlackDog1

Comment

A picture of the Squad routes:

Following the Gaula contacts, LZ Bravo was established to then take the red route through Baio Valor. Massive contact on this road, needed retreat to "OP Custer".
                      Blue route would have been the next Patrol to new OP's, hwever downed helo and injured teammates meant the main squad had to fall back to the Helo Crash site. LZ Charlie route in green to reform with he squad and Sambo's routein ed through Modesta.

As you can see...a little hectic!!

The few survivors who made it back to base to fight another day!
                      BlackDog1

Comment

I am quite pleased with the mission so far.

Reading your AAR, then experiencing the mission I just played .. I am satisfied that is sufficiently "random" .. each run will not be the same, depending on where the SAMs are, when you run into patrols, where you try to enter from, what you try to do first .. I forsee LOTS of variation in this mission.

Comment

lol, that video is so sick. love the part when u look to your left and watch a SAM missle flying straight towards you after the bird lands.

Comment

Originally posted by aceking View Post
                            lol, that video is so sick. love the part when u look to your left and watch a SAM missle flying straight towards you after the bird lands.
                            With the thoughts.......

"This is gonna hurt!!!!"
                            BlackDog1

Comment

Just caught the vid, christ those missiles make bang! Thats the most epic fail i have seen in a while!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X