Operation Calm Storm! August 17th, 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Calm Storm! August 17th, 2008

Wow. Absolutely wow. Second time playing the mission, and second time absolutely loving how hectic and FUBAR the mission is from the get-go.

Things started chaotically with some confusion over squads and positions, and general communication snafus. Especially for night/veteran missions (this was both!), I think it's important to preface all comms with your name, who you're addressing, and what channel you're using, e.g. "This is Scope to Grunt over Group Channel, over". Things were messy but eventually our leader, Mays, sorted everything out and we got underway in the trucks.

We took the road most traveled, and then things got ugly. We were ambushed in a terrifically bad location (in the middle of a valley). I was in the second truck, so when I got eyes on a campfire down the road, it was already too late.

Things happened like they did in a movie. Brakes squealed as all of the trucks tried, miserably, to reverse before the inevitable. Unfortunately for us, the inevitable was faster than our engines.

An RPG raced out of the darkness like the devil himself, smashing into the front truck (which was by this point extremely close to the second one, in which I was hiding) with such force that BOTH vehicles burst into flame. Score? PLF: 8, NATO: 0.

Gunfire lit up from around our bodies as the lone remaining truck emptied its bowels of men loaded with weaponry, from which tracers could be seen barraging the camp with 5.56. Medics came in force to heal us (only 2 revives left for us), and by that time the enemy had been cleared.

Except that now our ammo supplies were dangerously low and our vehicles were scrap metal. So Delta squad started hoofing it. The details here are fuzzy and probably boring, but the long and short of it is that there were a LOT of problems between locating our position, and finding where we needed to go. Several detachments had no GPS and instead had to rely on landmarks and a trusty compass. Eventually we were contacted by Blackdog (over a hilarious over-the-top static field), and started moving towards the pilots.

Unfortunately, I never got any further than that as I had to leave urgently, but suffice it to say that even though I have not yet progressed beyond rescuing the downed UH60 crew, this mission is one hilariously chaotic venture. Thank you Blackdog, Beta for making the map, and Mays, Hammer, Jeepo, and Grunt for their part in leading. Hooah!

Re: Operation Calm Storm! August 17th, 2008

Asolutely Hilarious Radio comms by Blackdog, and Asolutely brilliant mission!

Like you mentioned, the FUBAR, hectic nature of it was great, my favourite part being when myself, Hammer and Grunt were pushed out ahead of the force, and were concetratig very hard on our map reading so we our our squad behind whould not get lost. Then an enemy was spotted about 60 metres to our front in the pitch black. Within about 5 secs we were all locked on and ready to fire, and i threw a flare up, releaving EIGHT OpFor, but our amush was so good they all went down in about 4 seconds! Epic! Also Kudos must go to Beta, for his excellent mission which i finally got to play, hope to see it on server 2 also!

Good stuff on the server guys, Very Impressive

Comment

****...missed that! :(

Looking forward playing it.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
      The BigC

Comment

I'd like to throw out props to SGT May for taking command on this mission. This was his first time in Platoon command and I'm not sure he knew what he was in for with night time vet mode sans nvg's.

This is a long mission at 3+ hours. If you've got the time to immerse yourself you'll be highly rewarded in conducting this mission.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Was definitely a fun and exciting mission. Like scope said that first rpg ambush was simply beautiful. Props to Blackdog/Beta on an awesome mission.

Comment

I have to say WE (Beta and I) enjoyed every minute of last nights game, again we have discovered some tweaks that need to be made, but it pretty much did exactly as we wanted and hearing the chaos on the comms kept us very much entertained as we awaited rescue.

The next version is even better with some excellent twists.

Loaded up soon.

BD1
            BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

I wonder what will happen when a new player plays the pilot. Is there any restriction to comms as the pilot or is it at the players sole discretion? This would change the nature of the mission of course, but not for the bad. In fact each different pilot would play out the scenario differently. I rather like that.

Does the pilot and the CIA agent carry any firearms?
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I think the pilot carries an empty M4, but I can't remember for certain.

I also seem to recall Blackdog saying that communication from the downed UH60 is totally up to the players in those roles, but even if the first thing the pilot does is tell everyone his "exact" location, it's not a bad thing. He's still pinned down by enemies and he still doesn't have any ammo, so he's STILL SOL until we get there.

Comment

Correct, the agent has 3 bullets in his M9 and the Pilot has no ammo in his M9 and M4.

As to how people play the roles, its very much down to them, but they have to be sensible. If they get shot there is no one to revive them! Thus Game Over for them!

BD1
                  BlackDog1

Comment

Replayed this mission again last night and took Platoon Command. I was feeling like a hot shot getting my troops across the island in the pitch black without losing anyone or entering into a general engagement. Then bam...my Hmmv blows up with all of the HQ element with it. I have no idea what happened but I didn't think we took enemy fire. The hmmv did get banged up a bit and I wonder if we damaged it so much it exploded.

At any rate the big mistake was not keeping a tighter control on making sure the vehicles of the main body stayed together. As we approached the rally point I lost focus and began planning my next step ....then whammo...mistake #1 ...not keeping the main body together....which led to all of us failing to be revived. The 5 ton couldn't find us in the dark.....mistake # 2 was not explaining the revive system well enough to stress we have to stay closely together.

Good stuff...
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                      Replayed this mission again last night and took Platoon Command. I was feeling like a hot shot getting my troops across the island in the pitch black without losing anyone or entering into a general engagement. Then bam...my Hmmv blows up with all of the HQ element with it. I have no idea what happened but I didn't think we took enemy fire. The hmmv did get banged up a bit and I wonder if we damaged it so much it exploded.

At any rate the big mistake was not keeping a tighter control on making sure the vehicles of the main body stayed together. As we approached the rally point I lost focus and began planning my next step ....then whammo...mistake #1 ...not keeping the main body together....which led to all of us failing to be revived. The 5 ton couldn't find us in the dark.....mistake # 2 was not explaining the revive system well enough to stress we have to stay closely together.

Good stuff...
                      First you did a fantastic job Grunt up until the point of burning to death :row__593: You took a good deal of time to plan and then execute all the while keeping in contact with several elements.

I don't know how you died, I was in Recon at the RP, I was flashing the Hummve lights to signal to you guys when all of a sudden BOOM. In the darkness we couldn't find you, I tried to manuver the Hummve lights around to find your bodies but we couldn't see you?

The mission really demands strong leadership and communication. I had to leave after getting to the downed UH60 but I would like to say that Tripper did a solid job as fire team leader, Tito did an amazing job as driver and para was great at taking out the threats. I was really good at launching HE flares... oops.

Comment

HE Flares!!!!!!!!!! :D lolololololol

I could see how that might cause a problem!

Version 108 coming very soon fellas! ;) It's changed a little!!

Best
                        BD1
                        BlackDog1

Comment

Thank you Longbow!

We had an amazing squad on recon last night, and I specifically came here to commend everyone in it. You guys made me look halfway competent.

As a group, we had near-perfect commo discipline. This was key. We remained organized in the face of chaos. Targets were called in and maneuvers were performed, all in total darkness. Fire discipline was brilliant too. Every squad member called in targets and asked for permission to fire. We found the helicopter.

The night was pitch black, but Tito got us to where we needed to go. We stopped and took GPS readings at major turn points and Tito had us on the dime every time. I was able to think about the entire situation rather than being worried about being lost.

Parabe11um was a great Sharpshooter. He called targets in advance and took them out in one-shot attempts. He moved with me up the radio tower hill to flank an enemy building, eliminating most of our opposition while the others maintained a base of fire. Then we took the hill as a group.

Longbow swapped out his aimpoint for my M203, again giving me one less thing to manage. Team player. The HE flare was pretty funny, but the rest of the team was packing flares and we had a flare in the sky post haste.

Everyone in the squad pitched ideas as needed and followed orders as given. Even during the initial muster, my guys stayed together and quiet, waiting for the show to begin, while other squads were running around playing grab ass and driving vehicles around.

After an unexploded mine from a previous conflict (lol) took out our command element, one of the other fire team leaders and myself took control and tried to glide our damaged mission into a safe conclusion. This was not meant to be, as the town we were trying to take seemed to be the home of IED college, home of The Fighting Explosions. Boom U.

OK, we can't find the pilot, but we can steal two trucks. Which were not where INTEL said they'd be. When we found them after a brief (yet very eventful) hike, we watched as several soldiers ran up to the ammo trucks and were blown sky high. I guess every other vehicle being IED'd was not enough of a clue... :(

So the ammo truck being gone, pilot still missing, we could still take the town. As we begin to do this, the pilot and CIA guy are found and brought into the fold. I've seen injured players before, but I have no idea how the CIA guy was still alive. He looked like 150 pounds of uncooked, bloody hamburger spilling from a torn burlap sack. His head was a smashed tomato. 30 seconds later, right as rain!

We decided to advance to the government building complex. The movement started out rough, but we hit our stride and flanked the complex, attacking it from the rear. We could tell that we had been sussed, because the world's largest loudspeaker began braying the alert signal, notifying everyone on the island that NATO were arriving for breakfast. We eliminated the guards and took the complex, but the loudspeaker refused to shut off. This is where all discipline disappeared. Someone began blowing up buildings trying to silence the alarm, and ended up desynching the server.

Game over, man. Game over.

Again, recon last night was damned good. If I could hand out medals, I would. Thanks to Grunt for selecting our squad as recon, it was a great opportunity. The mission itself is very challenging and fun, but I do have a minor complaint. To wit: Players should not receive negative points for shooting armed opposition in civilian dress. This is minor, though, as points don't matter.

Comment

No medals, but how about ribbons?! See my sig!!

Comment

So...sounds like we hit a mine...bummah dudes...no way to have prevented that I suppose.
                              sigpic
                              |TG-1st|Grunt
                              ARMA Admin (retired)
                              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed