Gloria w. PL Grunt (Sat Sept 21)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloria w. PL Grunt (Sat Sept 21)

Misc Notes on Gloria Scenario (Saturday 10-12pm)

Platoon Leader (PL): |TG| Grunt

I served as Squad Leader (SL) of Section 1 with the following fireteam members:

Alpha
    • Beta -- Alpha FTL
    • Ascho
    • Escha
    • Escat
    • Tripper

Bravo
    • Bert -- Bravo FTL
    • Royal...
    • Fallen
    • Medic -- |TG| Tripper (?)

The action was so intense I have few written notes but some sharp memories of the evening. The Platoon gathered at the docks in Corazol and there the two main squads, Section 1 and Section 2, along with the Armor section fell into groups. I had my men gather in a warehouse and split the team into their fireteams and assigned fireteam leaders. I also requested that the men keep their weapons lowered, as we were in securely held territory. Weapons should also be 'at ease' (must be another proper military term for this...) in briefings and at base camps so as to avoid friendly fire. A weapon should never be (but all too frequently is) pointed at a fellow soldier or an officer.
    Proper 'Parade Square' Behaviour

I was very pleased to see the various sections keep their distance from one another at the 'parade square' on the docks. This makes it much easier for officers to get and stay organized. While I know that there is a limit to the usefulness of SOPs in an open server, it should be understood that once the platoon is called to order sections should group up and keep their distance from one another. This reduces 'bleed' in comms, and makes it easier to identify individuals that are lost or unassigned. Such discipline also creates a powerful visual representation of order and will send a strong message to new players that something important (and special and fun) is going on.

I assigned the most experienced leader, Beta, to Alpha FTL and this paid off in subsequent action. All my men performed with great discipline and skill. I recall no misuse of comms and no inane chatter among the men under my command.

Command elements shortly switched to teamspeak, but there was at times so much command comms traffic (all necessary) that I had considerable difficulty hearing my FTLs and communicating. I think that in multi-section platoons we will need more than one command channel, as the situation last night often left me unable to communicate with my squad at the very times when I needed clear comms.
    TS COMM NOTE

Grunt, we'll need to develop a MULTI-CHANNEL but simple Command TS Comm SOP that will isolate the PL's comms so a squad leader ONLY hears from the PL when it involves that specific SL. I know sometimes the PL needs to relay information to many or all section heads, so we need a teamspeak (TS) setup that will accommodate PL-to-ONE and PL-to-MANY. As it stands, shifting the command element to TS takes comm traffic off of FTLs and FTMs, but there is still an untenable amount of traffic in command element comms when the bullets start flying. Revisting the TS overlay that was developed late in 2007 may be helpful.

After moving out and providing Section 2 with overwatch from Hill 44, the PL ordered us to move further north. This we did initially in column formation and later the entire platoon moved in line formation as we advanced on enemy positions (a breathtaking thing to witness -- never seen in PR or in BF2).

On numerous occassions last night Beta took the initiative and ordered Bravo to move to various positions. I was not pleased with my overall level of situation awareness or my tactical skill, and Beta's initiative made up for this.

Between 11-12pm we were pinned down in a farm house, unable to retreat, and faced with multiple infantry and armor. We managed to hold the position while command organized reinforcements. Again, Beta excelled in keeping order among the men while I struggled with comms and relayed sit reps to command.
    On Contact Reports

All too often I was receiving contact reports such as 'enemy infantry,' or, 'T-72'. Keep in mind that your SL and PL need precise information on contacts. FTLs, mark them on the map, if possible, provide bearing, vector, and distance to the SL. Take the time to gather all the needed information BEFORE making your contact report, as this will keep comm traffic down and speed up the overall process of getting the information to the PL.

As usual, Grunt excelled as PL.

Special thanks to my Medic, Tripper (?), who patiently stayed by my side, covered the squad's six while we were dug in at the farm house, and healed the wounded.

By midnight I had to sign off.

End of report.
    Last edited by E-Male; 09-21-2008, 11:18 PM.
    sigpic

Re: Gloria w. PL Grunt (Sat Sept 21)

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
    Between 11-12pm we were pinned down in a farm house, unable to retreat, and faced with multiple infantry and armor.
    I had command of the tank that assisted during this phase of the operation. We were about 500m south of E-Male's squad, behind a low ridge. My driver cleared out all the brush and trees that obstructed our line of sight close in. My gunner engaged the first tank with a HEAT round, disabling it but leaving the crew alive to bail. I don't recall how the bailed crew met their demise. We ended up getting around five vehicles - one or two BMPs and the remainder T-72s. From about halfway through the engagement and onward, I had little fear that they would engage us based on behavior. They seemed quite focused on E-Male's squad and did not engage us or appear to look our way.

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
    On Contact Reports

All to often I was receiving contact reports such as 'enemy infantry,' or, 'T-72'. Keep in mind that your SL and PL need precise information on contacts. FTLs, mark them on the map, if possible, provide bearing, vector, and distance to the SL. Take the time to gather all the needed information BEFORE making your contact report, as this will keep comm traffic down and speed up the overall process of getting the information to the PL.
    I noted this as well. An acronym from flight can help here, maybe: BRA. Bearing, Range, Altitude. I realize that it isn't everything but contact reports need to include bearing, range, composition at the minimum. Ideally, they should follow a format such as the one found in Dslyexci's guide.

I had one significant issue throughout the mission last night. In the commander's position in my tank, I was stuck on maximum zoom and unable to decrease it, thus denying a wide field of vision. I haven't experienced this before.
    BarnacleofDoom

One shot - One miss!

Comment

Re: Gloria w. PL Grunt (Sat Sept 21)

Hadn't read this one through yet till today. Excellent AAR as usual. We had a good night with combined infantry and armor operations. Good work all around. Commanding is easy when you have good people in key spots.
      sigpic
      |TG-1st|Grunt
      ARMA Admin (retired)
      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed