Familiar Ground 1/21

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Familiar Ground 1/21

This is my first AAR and first time leading a squad since getting my new headset. I figured what better time to type out this AAR than right after the mission.

PltHQ: Spriggan and beta
    Alpha CO: Sigma (myself
    Alpha SIC: Macolik
    Squad consisting of 2 249s
    6 Riflemen
    2-3 add-hoc JIPs (a medic and another 249 and rifleman)

Planning: After looking at the map for the first time as a leader, I realized that it was going to be important to notice terrain and buildings on the fly. HQ laid out some waypoints for Alpha squad to scout and hold. The mission was to engage the enemy around Obregan and inflict %70 casualties. Intel reported 50+ soldiers and 2 BMPs. Alpha at this point was an infantry squad and did not carry any AT but we did carry flares, which were going to be important considering that this mission took place at night with a full moon.

Execution: We spawned in, myself being inside HQ's tent. Jorge was the leader of the AT squad and was briefed accordingly. I was briefed to bring my team west off the main road and situate ourselves at the edge of a forest overlooking a field. With some mild confusion we got our squad arranged and we proceeded out on foot with nothing occurring.

Upon reaching WP1, we realized that it was going to be a very interesting mission due to the darkness and the forest. We moved to WP2 with no incident, which then changed position and put ourselves at the previously mentioned position overlooking the field. When we reported the all-clear, the rest of the force arrived, bringing up PltHQ and their truck. We were ordered to dig in and hold position and for a while, it was quiet.What I like about the VON in ArmA is that you can be down the line and faintly hear someone telling a joke, or about women problems, it felt very atmospheric. Once the sandbags were built, I put my SAW gunners on the end of each line, with my riflemen in the middle. This I figure would be able to provide a decent line of fire and would allow the riflemen to see SAW tracers effectively in case of an attack. We covered the North and East ends.

HQ then called upon Alpha to reconnoiter the group of buildings and road 600-1000 meters north of our position. Rather than sending out the full squad, I send out a detachment with Macolik in command. Having the full squad out on the march and patrol would be slower and I thought it'd leave the mainline weakened.

Mac's team successfully patroled the buildings and managed to identify an enemy solder. Rather than put themselves in danger, I told them to return to the new waypoint that HQ had set at the top of a small hill. Alpha then moved up to this position and held it while the rest of the force was brought up.

Mac's team had encountered this soldier by a trio of barn buildings. HQ believed it was a perfect place to set up a defensive position and lure the enemy into a fight. Once the farm was secure, sandbags were built and the HQ was brought into the courtyard. Our position looked into a large field in the shape of an auditorium. Any infantry coming towards us would be out in the open, but had a slight height advantage.

At this point in the mission, it had been nearly 45 minutes without a shot fired. Soldiers were antsy. Alpha's excitement jumped when HQ tasked us to patrol the road leading into Obregan. After picking up a straggler, DeePSix, we made our way onto the road.

We barely gotten 400 meters onto the road when my SAW gunner, LowSpeedHighDrag, sighted a squad of soldiers patroling the field to our North. Informing HQ of this find, we were told to engage and then retreat to lure the enemy into our entrenched position, which now sported roughly 15 troops plus an M2 machine gun crew and AT team. I told my team to take a knee, select burst fire and fire on the infantry until two mags were spent. At my command we opened fire, it was deafening. Two SAW and a compliment of M16's barked out rounds with tracers filling the dark night sky. I'm not sure of the casualties we inflicted, but LowSpeed was hit and killed while Mac was injured. With the enemy sufficiently "pissed off" we retreated back to the farm. We encountered some friendly fire but thankfully no one was hit.

With the enemy starting their approach, I set up my team. I commanded 4 troops on the north end sandbags while Mac commanded another group on the east sandbag position. For what seemed like eternity nothing happened. Then green tracers arced towards our position. All at once our position lit up with M16s, SAWs and grenades. Macolik fired off some flares to illuminate the field in front of us, which helped a great deal. I didn't fire much as I used my binoculars to direct fire on the enemy and check up on my soldiers.

Our position was a very good one, we took few casualties and injuries from enemy fire.Throughout the barrage we head vehicles...BMPs! Luckily the AT team efficiently and quickly disabled and destroyed them without them causing us any real harm.

As quickly as it had started, the action was over. I told my team to check ammo, to replenish their stores and keep an eye out. I looked at the ground and noticed I was swimming in ejected brass shells. I counted two BMP's destroyed and at least 15 enemy infantry killed or wounded.

I reported to Spriggan of our status and awaited further orders. Throughout waiting, the enemy engaged in small skirmishes with us, shelling us with GP25's and even sending a third BMP to our extreme left flank, which was also destroyed by the AT team. I congratulated the medics and the other teams for holding out and knew that soon we'd have to move out.

HQ once again called upon Alpha to make a push into Obregan. This time we picked up 4 more soldiers, bringing our squad to 12 soldiers. With a medic and three SAW's we were ready to make our push. We ventured out on the E-W road into Obregan, double-tapping any soldiers we saw on the ground to make sure they had reported to Saint Peter. The enemy was still active on the outskirts of town as a few soldiers would fire into our group, but we would respond in kind and take them out. As we pushed into Obregan I saw an MG nest light up and fire at us. It is at this point I was hit. I was bandaged and healed, but got the head-bug (it stinks). I ordered Macolik to take the team into Obregan and begin to secure it while I was put out of my misery by XMaster the medic. (One ha ha moment, XMaster was supposed to just shoot me, in fact, two other soldiers shot me at once as well, prompting, "Do we really need three soldiers to kill him"). I respawned at the HQ truck and rejoined my squad as soon as possible.

As made our way into town, the darkness really made it tough to keep an eye out for enemies. We were just about to move into the town proper when the mission ended. Success, we had engaged and inflicted %70 casualties with very few deaths of our own. The mission lasted roughly 2 hours.

Epilogue: I felt like I had lead the squad pretty well, but I'm sure I didn't seem too clear or direct as I wanted. I had just got my new headset and mic and never really led a squad so I just did what I had saw from previous leaders such as Alpha, Lq. Snake, Steven Seagal and Soto.

The nighttime was tough as well, it was hard to see my men in the dark but I want to congratulate them on keeping their facing and maintaining discipline in the heat of battle and in the lull of peace.

That being said, I would do it again!

Re: Familiar Ground 1/21

Nice AAR Sigma...Last night was unbelievable...I hope we'll get this kind of quality on again tonight.

I took a bunch of screenshot (around 25) and selected the bests (around 10 if my memory serves me right). I my class ends in an hour..should be back home in 2.. I will photoshop them this afternoon and post 'em here.

Kudos to anyone involved. Everybody did what they were expected to do.

And I find it funny how people always capitalize the "m" in my name xD

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
    The BigC

Comment

Nice Sigma!Very good leading too:)

I was so tired i almost fell asleep but the mission was really exciting...especially the barnhouse defend part...

Comment

good read

Comment

There we go, the pictures I've taken. They're not as bright and colorful as my SimHQ Assault ones... its hard to add color to pictures taken in pitch black. I've added some brightness to them to make em more easy to see.

1sct holding off left flank. At this point, the squads from 1sct had engaged and routed enemy armor and infantry.

Soldiers from 1sct returning fire.

Soldiers from 1sct engaging enemy infantry South-East of Obregan

1sct soldiers taking cover behind their sandbags scanning for targets South-East of Obregan

Heavy Machine Gunner Bert from 1sct covering the Eastern approach. At this point, 1sct was holding off in a small compound South-East of their target.

Automatic Rifleman from 1sct covering the Western entrance to the compound.

As the firefights went throughout the night, many enemy armor had been engaged and disabled South-East of Obregan. At this point, 1sct still had no casualties.

Soldiers from 1sct Alpha Squad making a final push through Obregan. The rest of the section stayed behind to hold the compound. On its way inside Obregan, Alpha squad met fierce resistance and suffered minor casualties.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
          The BigC

Comment

Nice screen shots.

This one is amazing:

Keep those screens coming.
            sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Thanks Jorge.

Off course I will keep the screens coming. I designated myself as TG's Combat Cameraman :)

The BigC

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge.PT View Post
                Nice screen shots.

This one is amazing:

Keep those screens coming.
                +1 Real nice picture Xmaster. Good job. :)

Nil Desperandum Auspice Deo

Comment

Definately a good mission. Little slow to get started, but that was because our Platoon 1IC thought it was a much larger battle than it was, thanks to the older versions.

As for the jitteryness and lag that cropped up halfway through the mission, I think it is because of one of 3 things: too many ruckmags on the mission, too many AI on the guard waypoint, the ATOT script not being nice to the server once the vehicles are dead. I am leaning heavily towards the last one, since it was a constant jitter and a freeze about every 3 seconds for 1/4 of a second. That screams script running away with CPU cycles to me.

Going to try removing the ATOT script for the v102 of all the Light Inf missions, but I would still like to play through the v101 to see if the lag is still present.

The lack of flares and grenade launcher rounds has been fixed aswell.

As for the mission itself, I think it went very well. Picked a very defensible position to set up a rallypoint at, the patrol we sent out looked like it had some fun on contact :P .

We were a little bunched up on the one side, as multiple times infantry and even armour made its way around on our right flank and got within 30m of our position before firing. We literally had no one watching that flank, they were there for 3 minutes or so, but got bored and moved on, but that is just a nit picking thing, mission went very well overall with only 4 KIA I believe.

Hope we play some more night missions, as they can be very exciting and make for some memorable moments.

Comment

I had a good time with this one. Are there slots for snipers with this mission? When we approached the bridge and got flanked to the right it would have been nice to have a spotter on the mountain overlooking the city. It seemed the opfor just kept popping up at the bridge(when we went down into the valley) and to the right of it(when we decided to fall back).

Comment

Originally posted by seg[TDev] View Post
                      ... Are there slots for snipers with this mission?
                      I am very happy to say, NO there are ZERO slots for snipers in this mission. Can't you tell I LOVE snipers?

Again, I must say that I am very pleased with the randomness of the AI and there mild competence. That 2 man patrol we encountered in the hedgerow was 100% unscripted/waypointed. They were there thanks to the "DISMISSED" waypoint, which means, there is a 95% chance you will never see them in that spot again, even if you play the mission 20 times. Mmmm, random.

Comment

Thanks Jorge, thanks Sabre.
                        All of this positive feedback makes me want to take more pictures for you guys. Really appreciate it.

Originally posted by beita View Post
                        I am very happy to say, NO there are ZERO slots for snipers in this mission. Can't you tell I LOVE snipers?

Again, I must say that I am very pleased with the randomness of the AI and there mild competence. That 2 man patrol we encountered in the hedgerow was 100% unscripted/waypointed. They were there thanks to the "DISMISSED" waypoint, which means, there is a 95% chance you will never see them in that spot again, even if you play the mission 20 times. Mmmm, random.
                        And thats why we get to love your missions so much. Randomness makes me warm and fuzzy in my insides.

The BigC

Comment

Nice pics there Xmaster, have to say that that mission would be even better if we started about an hour before sunrise.

Comment

Thanks for the AAR, Sigma, and very nice work Xmaster! Love the pictures!
                            BarnacleofDoom

One shot - One miss!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...