This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beta testing Thrusday 2-19

I apologize for not remembering the mission name, or who it was by (I can't remember people's name more than a few mins. unless I play with them a lot), and I will pull this AAR if you don't want it shown before you finish, but I had to share.

It had me on the edge of my seat the whole round. You started off by halo dropping in at night as a squad, and watching people set down was awesome. But this mission was set up so there was no comms except direct and with a cool signal flashlight. You would click flashlight, then what signal you wanted to send, and it would do like 2 short flashes, or 1 short, 1 long, etc. So we 1st had to regroup. The mission didn't have the usual map. It was more like a realistic paper map, and the SL had a gps to give him cord., but the rest was like really reading a map. From there, we had to move a good ways on foot, with lots of roving foot patrols, and BMPs and troop transport trucks driving all around. We spent a lot of time running from cover to cover. Was actually scary to be hiding in some rocks and have a patrol walking by on the left through some trees, and a BMP driving around on the right, hoping it's headlights didn't turn in your direction. It was like the sniper mission in COD4, but there are no respawns in this mission, so you actually give a crap if you die. You won't get to try again.

So after about 30+ mins. of moving into position to take out some enemy AA armor, we get all set up on a firing line, with 1 guy ready with AT. We are set to open fire as soon as he does. Guess what. He missed. Or something. Because the Shukla opened up and got some of the guys. My in game ears are ringing because I was close to the AT guy when he fired, and I can bearly hear the guys down the line to my left yelling something, and all the gunfire is muted. Another guy was able to get another AT round off, and the armor went up in a huge fireball, lighting the whole place up. IT WAS AWESOME. By then my hearing is back, and I hear the SL yelling to pull back to a nearby little house for cover. I started running, ran around back, and started looking for enemy. I hear the SL run up behind me, and asking where is everybody. He peaks around the corner, and everyone else is dead. Enemy is starting to run through the clearing in front of the house, so we start shooting, then BOOM, we get hit with a grenade. I think an enemy squad had comeup through the woods behind us.

It was one of the best missions I have played in ARMA. Partly because it was really good guys playing, and because of the mission.
    I've been playing PR since the earliest betas, and I have never had an experience like that in PR. The closest thing was some of the first times I played Old Ghost Recon, when I first started playing multiplayer.

Now, for the bad part. It was a really hard core mission. I mentioned last night that I don't think it is a public server kind of mission, as it took killer discipline to get as far as we did. I don't see that happening with a lot of the public players we get. But that means it would be something REALLY REALLY special for a weekend special event. And would be something that gets talked about for a long time after.

Here are a few pics I got:

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Beta testing Thrusday 2-19

Epic failure on my part. I'm going to go spend two hours practicing AT weapon ranging now...

The mission is Operation Mongoose by Homer Johnson and Macolik

Comment

Originally posted by WaterIsPoison View Post

The mission is Operation Mongoose by Homer Johnson and Macolik

Tip of the hat to those 2 gentlemen. :)

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Best mission Ive played in a long time, and Ive been around arma for awhile :D

*shakes fist at pathfinders for getting to play this first*
        Last edited by AdeptAbyss; 02-20-2009, 03:53 PM. Reason: I can't spell :(

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
        So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Shame I missed that. We need to play it tonight or tomorrow night!

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
          The BigC

Comment

Thanks Bamboo et al for playing :)

Water ... it's okay, we'll forgive you, even though Macolik and I REALLY wanted to see how long we could have lasted against only the infantry :p

Not sure if we'll test it again this weekend or not ... currently making a bunch of improvements to the flashlight and map systems, and big changes to the storyline/objectives.

Comment

Yep..I really enjoyed SL'ing this one. The start atmosphere, the load up, the briefing in the hangar on voice, making a plan of action to meet up when we hit the ground (which by the way was no easy task as a BMP was right on our drop zone and so we had to steer away and that made regroup just a tad harder.

Brilliant mission, we found a few issues and hence the improvements that will probably make it truly EPIC for large squad games.

I really dont think it should be played again until we have the new version and then it should and will be "debuted" as a Pathfinder event. (For being such solid players they do get some perks!) ;)

Homer and Macolik have truly created a great mission here that adds a very new flavour to ArmA and one which I believe could become one of the best ever!

I hope all of the above has got you all licking your lips waiting to have a go...as that is exactly what I want to happen. This mission deserves it's moment in the spotlight and I believe having it run on the Pathfinder event will be a great debut for it.

A word or warning though...... this as Bamboo mentions is not a kiddies map! SL's need to control their squad at all times, keep track of who is where and keep discipline really tight, if not, you will be in a world of pain....REAL fast.

Great work fellas, lets try and get it ready for Sunday if we can?

If no I would be tempted to run it as it is, but the new version could be spot on!!

Water..... get that practice going! ;) I dont want to have to bail you out again with my AT4! :p ....lol
              BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

I loved helping Homer and Mac test this mission. This is one Epic map. I think this can be done with pubbies on the TG server. SL's just have to be clear on assignments and communication with members of their squad (kind of like the real military lol). But this is coming from a guy that spent an hour in the map low crawling to get into the enemy base camp when the rest of the squad got raped by a BMP, so YMMV. I guess what I am saying is that I would loved to see this mapped played frequently instead of one every other week or so.

Thanks
                ShaneV
                |TG-Irr|Duc748s

sigpic

Comment

Helped with an early beta on this one... to my disgruntlement, I won't be around until 6.30 Eastern tomorrow. Good mission even in the early stages and I am looking forward to the full meal deal.

-BoD
                  BarnacleofDoom

One shot - One miss!

Comment

Looks like a great mission, would love to play it

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse