Event - 19 APR 09

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event - 19 APR 09

After a bit of a rough start, the even turned out pretty good.

It's a shame the first few missions had trouble as they looked like they would have been quite fun.

I'm just glad that Ciney Line didn't have any major problems, and was a little surprised that it was able to be completed. The AI having "lost" their mortar tubes may have been the reason ;) I assure you the issue has been rectified and all will suffer horrible defeats in future attempts at the mission.

The mission planning and execution for the first and last missions was well done on most parts, there was only a few places where I feel things could have been done differently.

My biggest concern was the fact that there was too many different types of communications going on in the command channel. Having 2 squads, an air crew, a special forces team, a special forces spotting team in the same channel caused a lot of extra comms. I think if the spotter for the AH-64 would have been in the same group as the AH-64, a lot of the extra comms traffic could have been cut out and orders and contact reports would have been able to get received a lot quicker.

Also, for the last mission I was a little concerned about the plan we had at start. Since I gave away the CO position, I didn't want to say anything, but trying to hike the Platoon 5km before an attack didn't work out so well. I understand we were attacking a greater force, and that we had only half the strength we should have had. However, I think we could have taken a more direct route and have had similar success.

Not much else to say, the attack slowed down quite a bit after the first objective was taken, but it is understandable as we had a lot of leader casualties and contact was never really broken. Soto was decisive and quick with the plan once the fighting started and numerous times players who weren't quite up with the Platoon were coming under fire from late arriving AI who were trying to retake what the Platoon attacked.

The firefight around Louvain was a pretty epic sight. The artillery did a superb job of killing and driving to ground most of the garrison. Unfortunately, by the time we were in formation for our attack, we lost probably 1/4 of the Platoon due to disconnects, 2 Section was down to 2 people, 3 Section had I think 4, 1 Seciton had 7, and I think Weapons Section had 7.

The attack on Louvain itself went pretty well. 1 Section advanced straight up to the outskirts of town. We never took fire, the closest we had was a contact at our rear left that was firing at Weapons Section. Weapons Section did a very good job of suppressing and destroying any enemy in the way.

The attack did however stall considerably on the outskirts of town. We were skittish about going any further in as a group of 3 BMPs had cut our line between Weapons Section and the rest of the Platoon. I do not know what happened to them, but since Weapons Section regrouped with the Platoon while the town was being cleared, I assumed they destroyed them.

Another fairly big issue was the fact that the Platoon lost every one of our medics due to disconnect. So, once the firefight started and we took casualties, we could only drag them somewhere "safe" and wait till they woke up. We lost numerous people (I counted 3) to them bleeding out because their wounds started bleeding again, or an enemy snuck up and shot them while unconscious. Without medics, there wasn't much that could be done about this.

Louvain took approx. 25 minutes to clear as there was constant enemy counterattacks. It however was eventually deemed clear and the Platoon moved on to Objective Kilo, an artillery site. Small firefights and ambushes were the highlights of the rest of the mission. The end battle for Objective Oscar, Saint Hubert, was a long running firefight with MG nests and surprise infantry groups. No one expected the Company commander to be taking a swim over by that lighthouse ;)

Overall I was pretty pleased with the mission's performance. There are a few things I would like to change (I have already changed most of them), but overall I think it was a success. In the future expect a more robust BLUFOR artillery system, as I don't think the one-shot wide area fire mission is cutting it anymore.

A good event overall.

Re: Event - 19 APR 09

Technical difficulties :row__628:
    This mission :row__593:

I was a grunt in weapons section, and here's how it went down from my perspective:

Setting up at the spawn took its time, but eventually everyone moved out in a staggered column, weapons section, with Viper as our lead, bringing up the rear. As expected movement in the dark was a bit confusing at first, even more so because most of us had no map, but very soon things locked into their places and we held formation relatively well. It wasn't hard at all to keep track of our guys and the leader, thanks to him remembering the all important "Stop here" and "We're moving out". Without those it's very easy to get lost in the dark, and you can spend more time observing the enemy without having to keep a constant eye on the leader. You know he'll tell you when to start moving again.

After about half an hour of walking we arrived to a location south of the southernmost objective and took up positions on a hill overlooking it. We spotted a few mg nests and some infantry between us and the objective, and orders were passed to commence firing when the preplanned fire mission went down. Soon the arty started impacting the objective, while we unleashed quite a volley of tracers on the targets in the open. After the initial engagement we moved back a couple of hundred meters to throw off enemy's indirect fire, but since none came we moved back to our position on the hill and continued engaging the enemy with small arms fire, while other squads could be seen on our right flank, moving towards the objective. We stayed on the hill until they had made it well into the town, then started our own attack to the west side of the town. It didn't take long for a few BMPs to be spotted moving towards us at high speed, and people reacted quickly. An ambush was setup up at two separate locations: One fireteam, with most of our AT capability, remained on the hill, while the rest set up a sort of reverse slope defense in between the obj and "our" hill. The team on the hill was the first to engage the BMPs, quickly dispatching on of them. Another BMP started down the hill towards our team in the open, but was in turn engaged by me with a LAW as soon as it crested the hill. Another team member slammed a MAAWS into its side(at least I think so. I highly doubt it's my LAW alone that blew it up), and a barbeque was ready. The third BMP followed its companion down the hill, only to receive another MAAWS from the side. Once done with the BMPs we regrouped, took out a few remaining MG nests and a ZU-23 and moved towards the objective to join the other squads.

At the objective we set up behind a barn and quickly started taking small arms fire from a forested hill 50 meters away. Me and another squad member quickly moved onto the hill, taking out a couple of enemies on the way, while the rest of the squad provided support and treated casualties at the barn. We found two MG nests which were quickly dealt with on the hill, but then enemy infantry started overrunning us. We fought desperately and took out many enemies, but eventually both got knocked unconscious, unable to continue fighting. Enemy infantry kept running up the hill man after man, but our squadmates at the barn kept them at bay. After several minutes the two of us on the hill finally regained consciousness and were able to link up with the rest of the squad. The squad pulled back inside the town and beat off a few more small scale attempts to retake it, sustaining more casualties in the process, but eventually no more enemies came and we moved to a new position NE of the town. Somewhere along the way we had also lost our squadleader Viper and his replacement Ghost, so BarnacleOfDoom stepped in and took the lead. At this point our current objective was also declared cleared. We took up positions to cover the rest of the platoon while they moved towards the next objective, but what happened there is to follow in our next episode.

TO BE CONTINUED :)

Comment

You can click on the images for larger versions.

Images from the first mission (that crashed the server, looked promising though):

Images from Ciney Line, as AARed above by beita:

Start out point, took a while until we were ready to move (I brightened the images considerably, otherwise they are close to black):

The long walk:

Overwatching the artillery barrage:

More walking:

And watching:

And walking: ;)

Contacts in the first that town we took, I think this is where beita went down. I watched from a secure distance :D:

Slow sunrise, this was really a beautiful thing to watch (in front is 1-SCT 2IC SilverJohn):

Trying to take out an MG nest ... this was a close one as bullets hissed over our heads.

1-SCT 2IC and PLT command discussing during the final attack:

The cleaning of the last houses:

And the happy end:

And one for the gallery of shame (always makes me think of the line: ... when will they ever learn ... ;)):

Overall a very funny event, even though it took us nearly TWO hours to even get started with the final mission. But that was great then. I did unfortunately not take many images during engagements, since I was somewhat busy pulling the trigger. I liked Carver's idea he mentioned during the first mission to set up a slot in the roles for an embedded reporter, that could be really interesting since it allows to concentrate on the images.

EDIT: beita, you should consider making the paraflares firing in two stages: 1. Arm paraflare 2. Launch paraflare. Once the paraflare has been armed, add the option to disarm as well, this should prevent any unintentional launchs.
      Last edited by bert; 04-20-2009, 10:17 AM.

Comment

That was probably the best mission i have played at Tactical Gamer in a very long time. It was intense throughout, with firefights and ambushes every where.

Beita did a great job leading, Shame those medics werent any help to us, and as we made a mad attempt to find some medical equipment after beita got criticaly wounded we got shot at and grenaded for our failed attempt to find nothing to help our SL.

I ended up taking command, At that point we had 7 squad members still alive, After fighting through our first objective, we lost 3 men due to 1 disconnect, and 2 getting killed, but no one knew where or how, I called for a regroup to only see 3 guys link up with me.
        It was truely emmersive and exciting how things were turning out.

Bert, Ka-oz, Facemachine and my self was all that was left of 1st section by the time we finished attacking Obj Kilo. Moving to attack the next objective we took Machine gun fire from behind us, which seemed to come in very heavy and accurate, we kept our heads down, as weapons detachement dealt with it we met very light resistance intown and decided it was clear and moved on.

Moving into objective oscar we took several ambushes from the edges of forests and from inside the town itself, Keeping our heads down we returned fire blindly as we had no idea where in the town the fire was comming from, as we had a MG below us pinning us down with heavy automatic fire. I Grabbed the RPG launcher of my shoulder, set it to range,250m got up. FIRED..
        HIT HIT good job with the AT, weapon detachment calls out, the MG was dead, we slowly started to move into the town to finally clear it out with only minor injuries and no further casualties.

Good job to every one that was in first section and thanks to beita for taking the time and effort to make such a good mission.
        PR ingame name - |TG-Irr| SilverJohn

Comment

Operation Saker Falcon crashed unfortunately once the assault commenced. Like Beta mentioned, comms should of been setup differently for TS to reduce cross talk. I'll try to figure out how to use channel binds to talk to seperate channels in the future. As for the overall plan I felt it was pretty solid as the area we were rescuing the SAD operative would of been below us and we would of had the high ground from where we were moving in from, BUT... the execution was a bit off. The special forces team left base late and the Bradley's were setup before the special forces even got to their OP. Also, targets were being called in for the AH-64 but they were having a hard time hitting them so that kind of dragged things out. Shortly after I told Beta to begin his assault and clear out a compound on our way to the obj, the server crashed. Here follows my AAR for Ciney Line:

Mission Name: Ciney Line

Time and Weather: 0530, Dark with a clear sky.

Chain of command:
          1IC Soto
          2IC Ghost02
          1st SL Beta
          2nd SL SoccomSeal
          3rd SL Ace King
          4th SL Viper (Weapons Section)

Objective: Capture 4 enemy held objectives, Hotel, Juliet, Kilo, and Oscar. Destroy 3 AA guns and 4 Artillary pieces. Upon Commander's request, an arty barrage will be launched against the objectives. Infantry are to then move in and secure the objectives. Bluefor size 74 (2 PLT's).

Plan: I sort of cheated and planned on going around to the far Eastern Objective first as I felt that a head on attack of the first one shown in the mission notes with only half our forces, 1 PLT, would of been suicide. There were probably MG nests watching our direction of attack and we were expecting arty to land. I just wanted to minimize casualties.

What Happened: Since it was taking us too long to move in the dark and people were passing out, we had to walk and stop a lot, I decided to change the plan as I don't think most others would of been happy walking another half an hour. I would of been okay with it but I didn't want to make everyone else suffer :). From this point, south of the first objective, I had weapons section setup on a hill to provide fire support for the remaining line squads. The line squads were seupt to there right flank at the base of the hill and were told to assault the objective once the arty stopped. Weapons section was ordered to take out the MG nests that were vissible from their position and did a good job. On the way to the edge of the town, Soccom's squad took a casualty (just wounded) and I had to tell them to leave a medic and one guy to cover and the rest to keep moving since they fell far behind Beta's squad.

Once at the outskirts of town we heard enemy vehicles to our South. I told weapons section to take them out, it was taking a while and I couldn't see the vehicles so I told everyone to continue the advance. As soon as I said so, they crested over a ridge to our south about 250m and were promptly blown away by weapons section, good job.

Inside the first objective we lost a few people, both Beta and Soccom (1st and 2nd SL's). We were being hit hard by the AA gun on the west side and I had weapons section come up on the west side to take it out since we were pinned behind some buildings in town. Contacts and fire was sporadic and kept happening in all directions for some time. Once it slowed down and pretty much stopped, I called it clear and we moved on to Kilo. From here on out, we ran into a few MG nests, a few random contacts, but we were able to handle everything we ran into.

Overall the mission was a success, we cleared the last few objectives with only a couple of casualties. We didn't blow up one AA piece and the arty cannons but we cleared the areas out. If the enemy arty had worked, with the numbers we had, and the amount of disconnects we had, we wouldn't of been able to complete it but it ended up working out the way it was. Too bad though that we had so many disconnects. If we had started with this mission we probably wouldn't of had so many but we thought the first 2 we tried would of worked since they worked during testing (but with a small group).

Improves: Don't expect people to be willing to walk for more than half an hour before they start disconnecting. Keep track of the medic situation better. Don't forget to blow up all the objective pieces lol. Remind people to use their flares once we start engaging the enemy.

Sustains: The plan we went with worked out pretty good in my opinion. It especially worked with dealing with the BRDM's though this was by chance that we were set in a good position to deal with them. Good job to all the SL's and my 2IC for the excellent help and support. Good job to everyone for staying patient and reacting quickly to enemy contacts. I look forward to seeing the next version of this mission. Would be great to play it with 2 PLT's if ever possible.

P.S. Just wanted to add that all the guys that stepped up after their SL's died did an excellent job. Good Job Silver, Tango, and everyone else that stepped up.
          Last edited by LCpl. Soto; 04-20-2009, 04:10 PM. Reason: added comment.
          |TG-Irr|LCpl. Soto
          TGULT-Roel Yento

Comment

During this mission i really felt like there was alot of support between squads, and every one seemed to know what their role was(exceptions to a few), where to be, and how to proceed further. It was in my opinion very proffesionally done, Good job Soto on Leading the mission you did a really good job keeping things clear and simple.
            PR ingame name - |TG-Irr| SilverJohn

Comment

It was a very good mission and definently tested players patients as walking for an hour can really make people wanna quit. I really like betas mission but really bummed that Saker Falcon crashed as it was turning out to be really fun and most of us had FRAPS running.

I want to commend Ace King on his mission design as it really offers a different taste from what used to be event missions that involved hordes of infantry battling hordes of ai infantry. Keep up the good work because it's always fun having to coordinate a operation where a hostage is involved and combined arms enrich the playing environment.

Beta, thanks again for a very well layed out mission that really offers all of us a oppurtunity to test our leadership and missions that offer amazing firefights and light shows. Large scale operations that involve mulitply units and strict coordination make it enjoyable no matter how far across the map we walked :)

Guys, keep up the good work and really looking forward to seeing good missions created for the events.

Keep up the good work.
              FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

I really really really wanted to go the full way, as soto well knows. The mission was a succes but the weapons squad lost a large amount of their squad stuck near a barn, never had such a difficult firefight, good fighting weapons, very good.
                |TG|Ghost02
                TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

I was a medic in Ciney Line, and due to RL issues had to disconnect in the beginning, but it looked like it was pretty exciting.

Saker Falcon was actually turning out really well from my perspective (i was also a medic in this mission) The planning was great, too bad we didn't get to see most of it in effect.

Thanks to all the mission creators for their missions, they always are great, even though unforeseen circumstances may cause otherwise. Can't wait for next event.

Comment

I have no problem walking for 1 hour + before engaging, but I think maybe should let the squad leaders (and let them tell the squad mates) what they will be getting into.... I think the hike was well over 5km and hiking in the dark in forested areas is bound to be a slow process... I think if everyone was informed of the duration of the hike they would have been more accepting perhaps?

I though the mission was very fun and love to see these longer missions take place.

Having 50-60 players on this mission would have been really badass! I think a big part why the mission was really fun was there was heavy use of direct comms and the PLHQ did a good job getting the squads to support each other.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
                      I have no problem walking for 1 hour + before engaging, but I think maybe should let the squad leaders (and let them tell the squad mates) what they will be getting into.... I think the hike was well over 5km and hiking in the dark in forested areas is bound to be a slow process... I think if everyone was informed of the duration of the hike they would have been more accepting perhaps?

I though the mission was very fun and love to see these longer missions take place.

Having 50-60 players on this mission would have been really badass! I think a big part why the mission was really fun was there was heavy use of direct comms and the PLHQ did a good job getting the squads to support each other.
                      I'll give a time table next time before we move out so that people know what to expect.
                      |TG-Irr|LCpl. Soto
                      TGULT-Roel Yento

Comment

Originally posted by LCpl. Soto View Post
                        I'll give a time table next time before we move out so that people know what to expect.
                        I really like that idea!
                        |TG|Ghost02
                        TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

It was really irritating being in weapons section and having the section leader trying to communicate in direct along with at least one other section leader, while everyone was using it to talk about the life-changing anime they watched last night. I wound up pretty much flat ignoring everything said outside of group/side chat.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocal View Post
                            It was really irritating being in weapons section and having the section leader trying to communicate in direct along with at least one other section leader, while everyone was using it to talk about the life-changing anime they watched last night. I wound up pretty much flat ignoring everything said outside of group/side chat.
                            If people are talking and joking around when the section leader is giving orders, then the issue should be brought up to your section leader so he can tell everyone to hold non-essential comms. When I squad lead, I don't mind if people talk but if I need to tell them something or I feel they aren't paying attention and are more focused on socializng than teamwork, I'll tell them to hold comms and only speak for mission essential info.

Me personally, I play because I want to immerse my self in the game and survive/accomplish the mission, not because I want to socialize. Nothing wrong with socializing, but it sucks if someone gets killed and has to wait an hour or so to play again because someone was talking about their day and you didn't hear someone warn you about the enemy squad coming up on your 6. You could always tell them yourself to keep quiet if they are interfering with your ability to play the game or let me know if your SL didn't fix the issue and I would of said something as PL. Not sure how the admins would feel about the issue but I think they would of agreed that they needed to cut back on the chatter.
                            |TG-Irr|LCpl. Soto
                            TGULT-Roel Yento

Comment

I really miss wearing BDUs. ARPAT is so meh.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X