Sunday Event - May 10 AAR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Event - May 10 AAR

Post your AARs, recollections, screenshots, funny stories, videos... from the May 10 Sunday Event!

Thanks for coming and being patient with my new "way" of having people connect to the server. It explained some of the issues we were having, and we will continue to improve on running these events.

Again, thanks for attending, and see you all next time!

| |

Re: Sunday Event - May 10 AAR

Pix: http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...02009%20Event/

=X

Comment

Mission Name: Operation Deep Strike

Date: 5-10-2009 (In game time 1200)

Terrain and weather: Costal peninsula with roads, towns, and hilly terrain farther inland. Clear sky's

Chain of Command:
      PL Beta
      XO? Socomseal
      Stryker Lead Marine
      Stryker ATL Alan Ford
      1st SL Soto
      2nd SL TWilson
      3rd SL Steven Seagal

My squad:
      SL Soto
      ATL SilverJohn
      240G Century
      M203 Dread
      Doc Bert
      m249 Rampart
      MAAWS Vigi
      M203 Terry
      (1st Squad used Direct Comms Only for this Mission per request of most of the squad)

Mission: Clear out 3 enemy held towns along the coast. Respawns enabled.

Plan: Move out in a Stryker convoy towards the Attack Staging Area, disembark and proceed on foot down the road towards the first objective with the Strykers to the infantries rear providing fire support.

What happened: After getting gear situated, we loaded up in the strykers, 1st squad was assigned to the M2 Stryker. The Stryker crews were briefed and then we took off with our squad on point. On the way to the Attack Staging Area we took small arms fire from the hills on our right flank (suffered a slight drop into the 20's fps range here). The vehicles were ordered to stop and we disembarked. From our position we only saw about 2 guys due to a sump in the hill. We setup a perimmeter near our vehicle and 2nd and 3rd squad moved in to take out any surviving enemies. Once all clear we loaded up and continued on.

On the way to the Attack Staging Area we took fire from a recoiless rifle emplacement and our Stryker backed up. We disembarked and started engaging targets in the nearby village. We moved up into another position on line with another squad and continued to engage targets. Most of the targes were 500m plus, so after engaging a few with the 240G we proceeded to move into the small village. We checked the right side of the road and setup position at the end building closest to the objective to provide over watch. I believe some mines were found around the village so those were removed. We then setup on line on the right side of the road so we could move out towards the objective. Another minefield was found on the road and I left Terry to direct the engineers. He then caught up with us as we were cresting a ridge and a few BRDM's, a automatic grenade launcher gun emplacement and several enemies were spotted.

The BRDM rolled up the road, almost on us and I had Vigi get his MAAWS ready. We had friendlies approaching near our rear so I told him to hold fire. The BRDM was destroyed though, not sure who or what shot it. We then started to take fire from the auto grenade launcher and I tried to pull my guys off to the right farther to get away from the grenades but the MGS ATGM rolled up right there so after a bit of yelling, we pulled back so it could fire. We suffered 3 casualties from the gun emplacement.

Once the gun was down, we got back on line and were given the order to assault. This is where my fps took a crap big time and I must of been under 10 fps the rest of the mission. We cleared the first building area and proceeded down the right side of the road checking the buildings. We had one man wounded due to a gun emplacement but we were able to save him. The objective was pretty much cleared. Everyone moved up to this last group of building on a near by hill and Beta called the mission due to several people suffering bad frame rates and people disconnecting.

Sustains: Good job on leading Beta and good job to my squad for staying together. From the score board, it appeared the Strykers racked up some kills so good job to them. Good job to my guys for working together effectively and only using direct comms.

Improves: It went pretty well, most of the time I didn't know what the other squads were doing or where they were suppose to be but usually they weren't too far away. I usually had one other squad near ours and another one was usually out of site or several hundred meters away. Directions on how to assualt an area/objective weren't disseminated or I didn't hear them usually. This was partly due to us not initiating the attack because the enemy was the one to initiate aggression i'm sure. So we just layed down fire and would advance if we weren't under heavy fire.

Tips for Comms: When telling someone something, ensure they heard you by getting a response back. If they don't respond back then assume they probably didn't hear you. It is a good idea to say, " 'insert name of person you are hailing' this is 'insert your name' " or vice versa. When they respond back send your info and they should confirm your message by saying understood, will do, ect. I tune out the other voices on ts so I can focus on my squad. So if I don't hear my name or position called for to get my attention and someone just sends their traffic, I probably won't hear them. For us using direct chat, you need to have your sound effects up in order to hear. Gun fire can get in the way of hearing so it is important that you respond back when ever someone says something to you. Verbally aknowledging your order, saying what, huh, okay, something, will let the person who is yelling for you know that you understand or don't understand what they want. Also relaying info down the line is neccesary if you want to use direct comms.
      |TG-Irr|LCpl. Soto
      TGULT-Roel Yento

Comment

I would just like to say that the BRDM charged my squads position and was only 20 meters from me and our skilled AT guy took it out. Man that thing was speeding.
        With death comes understanding
        with understanding comes enlightenment
        with enlightenment comes death

Comment

I'll put up a larger AAR soon, but there were a few things I want to say right now.

Comms. Always have "issues" with this, every event (for me). Not to say there was anything WRONG per say, just that I felt things could have went a lot smoother. A few basic radio protocols would do wonders to make all radio comms effective and understandable. Like LCpl. Soto said, I was repeating orders quite a bit, this is understandable when we are in contact and there is a lot of shooting going on, but an easy way to help with this is a few simple radio protocols.

First, DO NOT talk over someone EXCEPT when you are trying to report something that is so god awful, that the Platoon is likely to be killed if it isn't reported (ie: We have 12 T72's approaching from the north). It makes things very difficult to understand when you are talking to someone, someone else butts in, you talk to them, then you try and go back to the other person, and you have to start all over again.

Second, ALWAYS give your name/unit and then the name/unit of who you are addressing. You don't have to give it every sentence, just at the start of your message. This ties in with the first thing, give some time after the comms have stopped to wait and see if they have anything else. If they use "over" that means they are EXPECTING a response, "out" means they are done and you can use the radio net. Again I agree with LCpl. Soto, you should ALWAYS try and send a confirmation, and WAIT for a confirmation, it will help on comprehension. If the radio net isn't too busy, do a confirmation by paraphrasing what they want you to do, ie: "Understood, I will move my Section to the treeline due west". This helps a lot to ensure the commander knows you understand your orders.

Comment

Originally posted by beita View Post
            I'll put up a larger AAR soon, but there were a few things I want to say right now.

Comms. Always have "issues" with this, every event (for me). Not to say there was anything WRONG per say, just that I felt things could have went a lot smoother. A few basic radio protocols would do wonders to make all radio comms effective and understandable. Like LCpl. Soto said, I was repeating orders quite a bit, this is understandable when we are in contact and there is a lot of shooting going on, but an easy way to help with this is a few simple radio protocols.

First, DO NOT talk over someone EXCEPT when you are trying to report something that is so god awful, that the Platoon is likely to be killed if it isn't reported (ie: We have 12 T72's approaching from the north). It makes things very difficult to understand when you are talking to someone, someone else butts in, you talk to them, then you try and go back to the other person, and you have to start all over again.

Second, ALWAYS give your name/unit and then the name/unit of who you are addressing. You don't have to give it every sentence, just at the start of your message. This ties in with the first thing, give some time after the comms have stopped to wait and see if they have anything else. If they use "over" that means they are EXPECTING a response, "out" means they are done and you can use the radio net. Again I agree with LCpl. Soto, you should ALWAYS try and send a confirmation, and WAIT for a confirmation, it will help on comprehension. If the radio net isn't too busy, do a confirmation by paraphrasing what they want you to do, ie: "Understood, I will move my Section to the treeline due west". This helps a lot to ensure the commander knows you understand your orders.
            The issues with comms are present in every game or event and were not specific to just this one. We all need to work on this and I thought i'd bring it up because many people don't respond back after they are told to do something. Even when people hear what you say, they don't seem to realize (most not all people) how important it is to acknowledge you heard your orders. I know I personally need to work on not talking over others on TS. I'll start using the over and out method, if we all do this it will let other SL's know the channel is open or in use and help cut down crosstalk.
            |TG-Irr|LCpl. Soto
            TGULT-Roel Yento

Comment

Originally posted by LCpl. Soto View Post
              The issues with comms are present in every game or event and were not specific to just this one. We all need to work on this and I thought i'd bring it up because many people don't respond back after they are told to do something. Even when people hear what you say, they don't seem to realize (most not all people) how important it is to acknowledge you heard your orders. I know I personally need to work on not talking over others on TS. I'll start using the over and out method, if we all do this it will let other SL's know the channel is open or in use and help cut down crosstalk.
              alot of the early comms issues were because Me and my stryker driver were unable to hear marine and we were trying to figure out just WTH was going on

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
              The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Darwin View Post
                alot of the early comms issues were because Me and my stryker driver were unable to hear marine and we were trying to figure out just WTH was going on
                These tips weren't directed at any specific individuals but rather it was for everyone to think about and work on (myself included). There are generally comm issues accross the board that could use some work in this event and every other event. Unless we all focus on fixing these issues, they will continue to be present. Think of it like being at work, if your boss says to do something you should be responding back. Responding back is what lets a leader know they were heard, understood, not understood, or not heard. These issues aren't as big of a deal in respawn missions but in 1 life missions, they can have a very serious effect.
                |TG-Irr|LCpl. Soto
                TGULT-Roel Yento

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...