AAR Operation Ares 15 JUL 09

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAR Operation Ares 15 JUL 09

AAR thread for the Operation Ares mission played on July 15, 2009. Thanks to everyone who played, commanded, got killed, etc.

It was a great round for all with good coordination and teamwork, what TG is all about.

Special thanks to Skin who stepped up to command the whole thing!

Post your screenshots and stories.

Oh, and thanks for making the mission Zedic.

| |

Re: AAR Operation Ares 15 JUL 09

End-of-mission screenie time!

End-of-mission video time! (coming soon)
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QC-7uvPr0k[/media]
    Last edited by kevlarorc; 07-16-2009, 01:56 AM.

Comment

That was one of the best missions I've played in Arma 2 so far. Special congrats to Skin for commanding, and Charlie squad for picking up Bravo's slack :p. And thanks to my squad(the boys with the green boxes on em' in the pic) for allowing me to inflict my leadership on them(it only got us all killed twice)!

Assaulting the camp at the end was probably the best part for me. Once we got to the center, I saw about 35 dead hostiles in a 5x5 space, with burning vehicles and more bodies all around. I can't believe we actually didn't take a single casualty on the hill firing down at them, being totally in the open with armor and mass infantry trying to whack us.
      "Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks."

Comment

Too bad I had to get to get to work early then, sounds like I left just before the real action started. lol. It was all run real smooth(So good job commanders) for when I was in there, perhaps a bit too smooth...

Comment

It was quiet till that last part, then it was chaos, it was like seven in the morning when we stopped here. Good teamwork throughout.

Comment

Originally posted by das_fink View Post
            It was quiet till that last part, then it was chaos, it was like seven in the morning when we stopped here. Good teamwork throughout.
            Yeah, I saw the dropoff on gametracker. The thing that pisses me off about leaving though is that I wasn't able to fall asleep until after that time anyways... From now on ArmA takes precedence over sleep.

Comment

Great Photo. My new desktop.

Lets get some more reports going for the AAR. What were the objectives, what was the order of battle for friendly and enemy forces. Looks like quite the combined arms effort there. I listened in on TS but you guys were already half way through the mission so I was unable to join.

Great work guys. This is TG ARMA 2 the way it is meant to be.
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Dam you all and your fancy new arma2 :p

Nice AAR. I loved that screen shot! Maybe Xmaster, or Sam, could do a little photoshop, and it would be perfect for any desktop.

Keep them coming.
                sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Operation Ares

At our disposal was several LAV-25 (Light armored vehicles w/ 25mm Bushmaster cannons), several infantry squads to go with that, an A-10, and 2 Abrams tanks (we ended up not using the tanks). Additionally, we had 2 MH-60 Seahawk helicopters which we used for light CAS on the first few towns as well as transporting troops.

The mission was to go into several small towns south of FOB Strongbow where our forces were based, and destroy the enemy presence there along with their weapons caches. The attack route through the towns led us almost all the way to the southern coastline of Chernarus.

Skin focused on commanding the troops from the rear echelon, changing command vehicles often as enemy forces would occasionally destroy his. At times he would be commanding from an LAV, and at other times it would be from a commandeered civilian truck. Skin applied 2 and 3-pronged attacks on most towns we encountered.

The first few towns were lightly defended (technicals, infantry) while the last few towns had a heavy enemy presence (Tanks, APCs, infantry, and other armored vehicles).

The main strategy was to surround the town, call in the A-10 to soften it up, then advance and clear. The strategy worked overall except during the regrouping for the last few objectives when enemy armor reinforced a lightly defended town from the south and broke through to Command's position. Eventually they were destroyed by the A-10 and our LAVs pushed on the last few objectives.

Mission was a success and the enemy forces were all destroyed.

| |

Comment

Jebus, you guys did my Mission....and seemed to enjoy it? Alright, whatever lol. This is the biggest 'kudos' I've received yet. Good to see you all had a great time and I wish i'd of stayed up to play cause I instead went to bed like a real wanker. God Damn it. Murphy's Law I suppose.

Pro Patria

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge.PT View Post
                      Dam you all and your fancy new arma2 :p

Nice AAR. I loved that screen shot! Maybe Xmaster, or Sam, could do a little photoshop, and it would be perfect for any desktop.

Keep them coming.
                      I'm back to it. If I get to play tonight, ill make sure to grab some screenies. Kevlar, can u forward me the original screenshot without the "TacticalGamer" ??? Ill see what I can do. maybe I can remove hud markers.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
                      The BigC

Comment

yup was a good game, didn't see much action as Skins personal chauffeur till those pesky ruskies brokes through our lines and engaged the command LAV, we managed to get out in time, but i was shot whilest trying to reach a safe spot :(
                        sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

Please refer to the map diagram to see the route of attack. (That Wonderful Blackdog bloke just fixed it!) ;)

Primary Objective:

To eliminate several weapons caches in various towns south of our FOB.

Order of Battle:

On initial deployment the platoon under my command had two mechanized infantry squads Bravo and Charlie under the command of platoon squadron Foxtrot. In addition, Delta squad, a sniper team, and an A-10 and FAC (who were under my direct command) supplemented the forces. Later on, we were able to stand up Golf squad and deploy them for a separate mission in the final assault.

Enemy Forces:

Enemy forces were expected to be concentrated in the areas of weapons caches. Unexpected Heavy Armour appeared south of Pogorevka.

Under my direct command were:

A command Lav driver and operator
                          two transport helicopter pilots
                          1 a-10 pilot and FAC

Initial Assault

Initial assault began on Vybor with Charlie and Bravo squads engaged in a pincer maneuver with Foxtrot protecting against any rear flank from enemy forces in Kabanino. Helecopter pilots were pressed into service as LAV operators for Charlie and Bravo squads until additional troop assets could be found. The Command Lav engaged in sporadic harassing fire against soft armoured targets in Kabanino. The FAC designated targets in southern Vybor creating a No go zone for Bravo and Charlie squads until I authorized the A-10 to cease CAS.

At this time Delta sniper team was stood up and began to engage the enemy in Kabanino. They were required to temporarily retreat due to aggressive posturing by enemy forces. Helicopter pilots were then instructed to fly troop transport and CAS for Delta squadron mitigating the hostilities. In addition command LAV Foxtrot assisted in targeting enemy forces near Delta from our overwatch position.

FAC then proceded to lace targets for the A-10 in Kabanino, while Charlie squad push from the North West and Bravo the South West. Foxtrot swung north of Kabanino to protect the rear and engaged in minimal enemy land assets. Both attacks on Kabanino and Vybor occured with either no or minimal troop losses.

I instructed Delta and the FAC to push immediately south towards Rogovo while the Mechanized Infantry squads continued to clear Kabanino. I informed all troops that the area immediately south of Rogovo was a NO GO zone due to its close proximity to Pogorevka and a dangerous choke point.

Bravo squad attacked Rogovo from the North while Charlie Flanked from the East. Foxtrot provided support North of Rogovo for Delta. Unfortunately at this time, I instructed my gunner to fire harassing shots into Pogorevka. However in the confusion of Charlie flanking, my gunner targeted a friendly on Charlie resulting in a blue on blue casualty. At this point, both LAVs from Bravo and Charlie were lost, and I instructed the forces to regain additional LAVs from our Fob or commander abandoned assets. There was some logistical confusing in obtaining additional Lavs.

After Bravo cleared Rogovo, I instructed all forces to push into Pogorevka. Command Foxtrot took an overwatch on a hill east of Pogorevka. No further contact from Delta squad was heard after this point. The A-10 went back to FOB to rearm and refuel. My situational awareness on the activity of Bravo squad was compromised slightly as I was focusing on the push by Charlie. I cannot confirm the exact route the Squad Leader of Bravo took; however, they were to push farther west into Pogorevka than Charlie. My driver notified me of two enemy BMPs which my gunner engaged. We discovered that these enemy armour assets were already destroyed. This salient fact resulted in my false assumption that all enemy armour was cleared from the area. Without warning 4 enemy armour assets began to attack south of Pogorevka (two BMPs and two T-72s). It is believed that they originated from Pulkovo. The enemy armour overrun command Foxtrot overwatch position resulting in the destruction of the command LAV; the loss of my driver sturgis, and heavy injury to myself. My Gunner Toncom and I crawled north towards an abandoned hunting stand and climbed it in order to obtain a better overwatch position.

I instructed all forces to disengage the attack on Pogorevka and redirect their focus on the protection of command Foxtrot. Unaware of the amount of enemy assests I instructed Bravo squad to push south to engage while Charlie formed a collapsing buffer around Foxtrot. Bravo's engagement of the enemy armour resulted in extreme casualties for Bravo which compromized their combat effectiveness. At this same juncture, the A-10 finished rearming at the FOB and immediately attacked the enemy armour resulting in the complete destruction of enemy armour. I required medical assistance from a corpsman in Charlie Squadron and Strugis brought a replacement command LAV from FOB.

All forces successfully pushed into Pulkovo while I prepared for the final assault against enemy assets near Bor. Command Foxtrot switched from the command LAV to Charlie's former assault LAV prior to the commencement of final operations

The attack on Bor called for a three progned attack with Charlie pushing from the North to provide fire supression for Bravo and newly constituted Golf squads. Bravo was instructed to mount a transport helicopter and land south of Bor to push north east. The helicopter pilot reported that he faced multiple enemies attacking his aircraft and was unable to land at the designated LZ. I do not know where Bravo landed; however, they were able to reach their rally point.

Prior to attack, I instructed the A-10 to soften the area. On my order, all squads successfully took the area near Bor with zero casualties. Afterwards, I instructed all forces to return to base via helicopter. Command Foxtrot returned via land. I instructed Toncom to obtain our command LAV and race Sturgis. This lasted approximaetly 30 seconds as Toncom flipped the LAV. He reboarded my LAV. We encountered enemy contacts and came under fire at Vybor necessitating the helicopter pilots to fly CAS. Upon returning to base, all men proceeded to pose for a mission photo.

-Skin
                          Last edited by Blackdog1; 07-17-2009, 03:53 AM. Reason: Fixed link! ;)

Comment

In my defense you ran into me Skin! Causing my Lav to flip :(
                            Haha overall good mission, not a lot of combat though for our squad at least

Comment

lol great AAR skin :D

now now toncom, the way i remember it is that it was you who hit us :p i wasn't even aware we hit and you flipped till i was a 100 meters out and skin was laughing his ass off :p

either way, i enjoyed this one alot :D
                              sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse