X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAR- Sunday Sign up 16/08/2009

put all AAR stories here,
    pics, video it doesn't matter,

also don't forget to nominate people for ribbons if you think they did a good job.

Congrats to Skin for CO this mission, was a very good plan and worked well

Re: AAR- Sunday Sign up 16/08/2009

Information and responsability overload, gah!

Great mission, guys, hope I did good.

Comment

My After Mission Report Sunday August 17th

Mission name: CoOp46_We_Were_Soldiers_V1-0

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/arma-2-...-up-event.html
      ----------------------------------

I was one of the huey pilots transporting our guys to the front and doing CAS missions, we always had something to do, there was a side mission for chopper pilots popping up at the start, i just wished there were more of them (maybe 3 in general). Other then that, i heared that the AI wasnt reacting very well, maybe a setting "bug" in the mission?

Other then that, refueling/rearming is kind a tricky in the base, but we figured out that it autorearms when you hover over the rearm objects. The whole process became easier when we got the FARP, you had to look at the truck you needed and then choose via action menu to refuel/rearm, but you had to get quite close to get the refuel/rearm action menu. Maybe we could increase the distance or using a area wide refuel/rearm circle around the trucks.

Another advantage would be to have a repair truck in base to not have to blow up the choppers, if they are damaged. That caused some trouble, because one of the chopper pilots blew his chopper up and the respawn destroyed a parking one together with an almost full transport huey.

As always, great teamplay guys, keep it up!

Rocco

Comment

I was the artillary commander.

Fire missions were used to great effect, and I thank Marine, Sam Hoy, and Scout for their exellent job as artillary gunners. I beleive we were able to kill a lot of soldiers before they knew what was coming. Also, marines new name is...... T-
        |TG|Ghost02
        TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by Exadus View Post
          Information and responsability overload, gah!

Great mission, guys, hope I did good.
          You did a great job, even managed not to melt down at that ejit who kept firing enemy weapons near us randomly. What a great help to our stress levels he was :D
          Grab me for your next squad if you see me in game!

-Arcto
          Nihility

Comment

FIRSTLY....

Great mission Snake.... truly superb...

Secondly.... If I see someone tearing strips off another player in a TG server...there will be hell to pay. A couple of people needed their ass kicked today for some of their responses. The difference with TG, is we simply dont call out crap about other players across the comms. YOU WILL KEEP THIS CIVIL GENTLEMEN or as some have found recently, you will face consequence.

This leads me to my next point. Today's event was a classic example of WHY TS is not a satisfactory replacement for VON. Due to the way people have to seperate out into their squads, only the commanders can chat to each other and all squad leaders did an excellent job on their radio comms.

However.... one particular player ended up getting stranded thick into enemy lines and basically ended up 1 man versus many... unfortunately there are only so many bullets one man can carry and so he did what anyone with half a brain did, and grabbed an enemy weapon. Ordinarily in VON you can announce as such, and I believe I saw said player type at least once that he had to grab an enemy weapon as he was surrounded and trying to retreat.

Unfortunately those who didnt see this and obviously couldnt hear him, instantly assumed he was lone wolfing and generally firing an enemy weapon to cheese people off! and the comms started to lose all communications discipline. Said player is a longtime regular here and the berrating that occured was not neccessary or constructive.

So....my advice to all is to consider that the comms are not ideal right now, and if something seems strange, go through the channels of command and find out if a friendly has grabbed an enemy weapon and where he is. THEN..instead of shouting about him... GO HELP HIM!!!!! even if he is part of another squad.

So.... in short...said player should have alerted all "better" that he was in trouble, stuck behind enemy lines and carrying enemy weapons... those who were affected nearby need to keep a calmer head in the midst of a battle and NEVER, I repeat NEVER start calling players out as log as you wish to play on the TG servers.

So that closes that incident and no more needs to be said.....

As to Echo....(Weapons team) which I was SL of and consisted of 22nd members, Viper, ChiefBoatsRet, Python1, and Sturgis.

At the very start of the mission, someone had an unfortunate discharge of a rocket and my PC decided to crap itself.... I was dumped to desktop...

I then rejoined and my team was ready and we boarded a helo and seemed to be sat on the ground for quite a while. My initial thought with regard to the squad departures was that we might become like sticks in the wind and slightly scattered... which is what happened. This would be my only criticism of the CO, who otherwise did an excellent job managing a large mission with many squads. Having all the squads depart together ight have kept things more cohesive from the start.

Once we were airbourne, we landed at our assigned LZ and soon after the helicopter dusted off, I crashed again to desktop.... GRRRRRRRRRRR! Getting a little annoyed now, advising to Command that my 2IC Viper was in charge of Echo and that I would try to get back. Echo was then instructed to move and unfortunately, as I was carrying the only map in the squad... it was extremely hard for the team to head accurately to where they needed to be, but they did well. I then rejoined and was just leaving base in Helo again when ..."Crash" back to desktop.....

I was just about ready to call it a day, when I chatted to INQ (Top fella) on the editing channel of TS and he asked if I was running any addons....??? Now having never had a crashing problem before, this was the first time I had been online to play while using the "Jon's Editor Update mod" running in my shortcut. I had used this to place some objects on my latest mission. Well here's is some advice... REMOVE IT BEFORE PLAYING ONLINE FROM YOUR SHORTCUT!

Once I had removed this, I rejoined the game and bingo...no further problems.

Once I caught up with my squad near LZ Tango, there was a full firefight ongoing in the woods with my squad covering and retreating as per the CO's request who was also nearby, to fall back to the friendly camp nearby.

Once I got Echo gathered up, we fell back to the camp having taken several kills and not lost anyone, to rearm. Once we were rearmed, we were ordered to head to a nearby LZ Smokey. Looking at my map I saw a path that went through a tree line that provided cover and we moved out at the double. (This being relative while carrying .50 cals). As we approached our RP, we suddenly saw contact to our left about 200 meters away. They were unaware of our position but it consisted of two infantry squads. We fell back to set up with line of sight of a ridgeline and monitored for a while. They were not heading in our direction, but probably back toward the friendly camp and the CO.

This was when I decided to call in our first fire support mission from "Steelrain". Once the go ahead had been given by command, we set the co-ordinates and proceeeded to move to a position of cover to watch the inbound rounds, ready to adjust as needed.

The rounds fell spot on and most of the enemy squads were destroyed and we had set up the .50cals to cover and mop up any stragglers... job done..

It was clear there was a path being taken by enemy so we had a superb overwatch position of that treeline at a nearby building. Once we secured the area we called in an ammo supply drop. It was almost a firemission on our own heads, but was quickly rectified! ;) Once ammo arrived, we set up the .50 cals and one of the gunners decided to go take a leak (Python) just as he did so, three more enemy squads were back on the attack path and crossing our field of fire. His response was "holy crap, I go to take a break for a second and all hell breaks loose again!!" :D to which he jumped back onto the 50 and started letting rip into the treeline again pinning the enemy while I called in another fire mission. While the artillery got diverted to another target, the air support from Browna was absolutely spot on! Good job mate!

Once we had cleared up this area, we moved as per commands wishes into the main combat zone to give support.

Again, this is where things became a little confusing... we had multiple different squads working at different objective areas and we were actually heading to a location that already had friendlies in it. Thus their could have been a higher risk of FF incident. It seemed this became a bit of a squad race to clear objective sites, rather than a formal frontline with many fronts. However, the enemy HQ was located, as we were moving we were jumped by another enemy squad in a valley and close quarter contact. The MG's were set up and the enemy squad was quickly destroyed...

We then moved to the high ground were we saw friendly forces assaulting the final hill and enemy HQ.

This was quickly achieved and the mission ended. I have to say, my teamates did everything that was rquested of them, on the spot. The teamwork between the gunners and the assitant gunners became a very slick machine that had the 50 cals set up and broken down in a matter of seconds, providing some seriously heavy firepower on the enemy infantry.

I enjoyed the mission a great deal and Echo did not lose a single casualty to conflict.

Comms were the greatest issue with todays event, but this is simply learning how to get the best out of TS. Other than that, the humour was running high in the 22nd squad!

Good times!

BD1
            BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Good stuff indeed! Really enjoyed running about with you 22nd guys again :) (expect a pm concerning that soon ;) ).
              I was chiefboatsred assistant gunner in echo squad, and allthough setting up and loading the .50cal took a few tries to get down (despite having played this pos before on a different map *blush*), but once we got it down, we were able to get them babies up fast and start rocking!

I even managed to snap some screenies in between!
              The ammo run mentioned by blackdog, i'm covering them while BD, chief and i think viper resupplied:D

Scrambling into defensive positions, assessing the situation, getting the .50s up, and giving some back! We just had Python back with an empty bladder and nothing was gonna stop him getting some! :p

Loading up chief to send the enemy some "hugs and kisses"

on overwatch on the final objective
              sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

Deleted my post due to irrelevance.
                Last edited by viper1986; 08-18-2009, 04:57 PM. Reason: Not the place.
                FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

Originally posted by viper1986 View Post
                  Let me fill you in on something we call respect here at TG. If you cannot handle it then you can bugger off... plan and simple. What you called "stress" was your inability to handle maturity and respect for the player in a situation you did not understand. The reason for the enemy weapon which you so poorly understood by your reaction in game as well as others was that he ran out of ammo after being left behind and had to pick up an enemy weapon to fight his way out and link up with Skin (Mission Commander). Think long and hard about what you have said here and in the future because like Blackdog said and note that you will make ZERO friends here talking about players who have done more for this community then you have. That so called "ejit" as you so childishly put it did an excellent job and did what he had to.

Back to the missions, it was AWESOME and gave me 3 hrs of gaming fun. Blackdogs AAR was excellent as i was part of his team.
                  I think unfortunatly it is YOU who misunderstands the situation. I, with my SL's permission swapped out to a PKM half way through. This was not a problem. The player i am reffering too linked up with us after we took the third camp and we were told to wait here by our SL for further instructions. This other player then came running up to us from about 300 meters away and began randomly shooting objects (Dirt bikes, boxes, tents) every few seconds. I deem this totally unacceptable behavior and my SL reported him to browna. Browna then warned said player and he said something to the effect of, "Doesnt bother me, im leaving anyway", then disconnected. Im sorry if me being anoyed (and further more NOT typeing my grievence out on screen contrary to what you CLAIM) isnt mature enough for you.

And excuse me if i feel stress while playing sim games, it stems from trying not to screw up or die (both achieved last night) and letting my squad down. So perhaps it is you who should go get a mature attitude and stop brow beating n00bs, or are you just to 1337?
                  Nihility

Comment

ok, this stops now.
                    this is supposed to be an AAR thread for people who played and didnt play alike to read other peoples perspectives on the mission. Please keep it on topic and if you feel like you need to discuss certain issues then i would suggest you send pm's.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog1 View Post

This was when I decided to call in our first fire support mission from "Steelrain". Once the go ahead had been given by command, we set the co-ordinates and proceeeded to move to a position of cover to watch the inbound rounds, ready to adjust as needed.

Hey I got a mention! I feel special!

Only so much artillary can do, but as I said earlier, we had great fun! No bad-mouthing or anything, just goofing off near HE shells. Good mission snake, we arty men had a great time.
                      |TG|Ghost02
                      TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

I wanted to start off by appologizing for the rocket missfire.

I was sitting inside the choper and alt tabed out to swap TS channels, as I was alt tabing back into Arma I reached for my Joystick to get it in place and some how managed to press the fire triger and boom blew up 3 guys and the ammo trailer/truck.

Other than that it was a fun mission for me to see from a pilots point of view rather than infantry. Even tho I spend most of the time waiting at the Hold point listening to Browna get all the action :)

I'd love to play that mission again sometime...

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost02 View Post
                          Hey I got a mention! I feel special!

Only so much artillary can do, but as I said earlier, we had great fun! No bad-mouthing or anything, just goofing off near HE shells. Good mission snake, we arty men had a great time.
                          Actually, uh, you left before we did fire missions for Echo, Ghost. Sorry ;)

Oh, and personal attacks = bad. Suggest you guys heed browna's warning and cut the crap.

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix[Can] View Post
                            I wanted to start off by appologizing for the rocket missfire.

I was sitting inside the choper and alt tabed out to swap TS channels, as I was alt tabing back into Arma I reached for my Joystick to get it in place and some how managed to press the fire triger and boom blew up 3 guys and the ammo trailer/truck.

Other than that it was a fun mission for me to see from a pilots point of view rather than infantry. Even tho I spend most of the time waiting at the Hold point listening to Browna get all the action :)

I'd love to play that mission again sometime...

No problem Phoenix. Thankfully there were respawns as you took out the CO, 2IC and platoon corpsman. =)

Commanding was enjoyable. It was unfortunate that Bellicosity disconnected so shortly into the game, as it made the logistical coordination of Air Assets more difficult. I myself was caught in a firefight with Charlie and Echo as we had to do a fallback LZ Victor. I got two kills myself in that conflict. Thanks to the actual of Echo squad for telling me to fall back as I was unaware that I was about to be flanked by an enemy section.

Halfway through the mission, it became rather difficult as I instructed our forces to do a 'bug' hunt, which slowed the advance northward. (No fault to anyone, I simply wanted to make sure that if there was an error in the map design process that we could find the error and make sure it would not occur again in the future.)

I think on a replay, it would be better to have it set at dusk so the arty could deploy illumination flares for the ground troops.

From a historical note, the first part of this mission was to find the OPFOR (Viet Kong) informant to tell us where the HQ was located. I went through the official military history (I am a military historian by educational background) of the conflict (Battle of Ia Drang, which the movie we were soldiers is based on) and was quite surprised to find out how close the informant was to LZ X-ray (A lot closer than as experienced in the mission). I will let the official history of the battle speak for itself:

As Lieutenant Deveny's soldiers pressed the search, Herren became fully convinced that if there was to be a fight the proximity of X-RAY to the enemy haven across the Cambodian border made X-RAY the likely site. Yet the leading elements of the 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry, had landed successfully and were thus far unopposed.

Where was the enemy?

The helicopter landing had been spotted. Although elements of the North Vietnamese units that had been scheduled to participate in the 16 November Plei Me attack had left their Ia Drang valley staging areas at dawn the morning of 14 November, the landing of Captain Herren's infantrymen in X-RAY a few hours later had prompted General Chu Huy Man to change course swiftly. Plei Me would have to wait. The 66th and 33d Regiments would attack the landing zone and destroy the Americans. By noon two battalions of the 66th and the newly formed composite battalion of the 33d were preparing for the assault from positions at the base of Chu Pong and the low ground immediately to the west.

At X-RAY the 1st Platoon, Company B, continued to probe. At 1120 Lieutenant Deveny's troops made a discovery: searching the brush, a rifleman surprised an enemy soldier only fifty meters from the landing zone. The North Vietnamese tried to lose himself in the thicket, but the Americans soon captured him. He was unarmed, dressed in trousers and a dirty khaki shirt with a serial number on one of the epaulets, and carried only an empty canteen.

Notified of the catch, Colonel Moore rushed to the spot with his intelligence officer, Capt. Thomas C. Metsker, and his Montagnard interpreter, a Mr. Nik. Questioning the prisoner, they learned that he was a deserter from the North Vietnamese Army and had been subsisting on bananas for five days. He declared that three North Vietnamese battalions were on Chu Pong mountain, anxious to kill Americans but as yet unable to find them.

Elated but cautious, for getting the rest of the battalion in quickly and safely was now doubly important, Colonel Moore told Captain Herren to intensify his search and prepare to assume Company C's mission of exploring the terrain at the foot of Chu Pong, giving special attention to the finger and draw to the northwest.
                            I have been helping snake work on a mission that will focus more on the battle for LZ X-ray. There are several flash animations of the battle this link www.wtj.com/articles/xray/ that illustrate the type of combat to be expected.

-Skin

Comment

Originally posted by MarineSeaknight View Post
                              Actually, uh, you left before we did fire missions for Echo, Ghost. Sorry ;)
                              At least I can spell my name! Not T-! Well, thank you for taking the squad over marine, looks like you did a good job. RL stuff popped up just as I was playing and I HAD to take care of it. I got to do some good fire-missions though, hope I did some damage.
                              |TG|Ghost02
                              TG Pathfinder

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X