• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAR- Op. ARES v 1.03 8.22/23.09

My first AAR, so bear with me please :)

Operation ARES
    Commander/s: Falcon/B
    Mission Time: About 3 hours or so.
    Number of Players: Not sure, we started out with over 30 I believe.
    Troops: 3 Mech. Inf. Squads (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie), 1 M1A1, 1 BlackHawk, (late) 1 Fighter Jet, Arty. Support.
    Mission Outcome: SUCCESS
    Report: At appx. 2300 hours (not sure on time exactly), about 30 marines began Op. ARES. I was part of Mech. Inf. Squad Alpha and was a Corpsman/Fireteam Leader. My SL was azzwort. We began at the FAB and proceeded to take the first OBJ, which was to seize the town of Vybor.

Arty was called in beforehand for a strike to soften the enemy up. All Inf sections attacked from the NW while the M1A1 provided cover. My squad (Alpha) split into fireteams and preformed a bounding maneuver to cross into the town. Once in the town, we proceeded to clear all hostiles. No casualties were taken for BluFor. Once the town was clear, all teams set up a convoy at the East side of town. We were ordered to move out and take the second OBJ, the town of Kabanino.

There was more resistance in this town, although Arty and tank fire did an excellent job of clearing the way. My team took out first hits here. We lost a couple guys but Blufor was able to clear the town in about 7 minutes. Part of the OBJ was to destroy weapon caches located in the town. All the Inf. sections quickly found them and had them put out of action. We did take a single causualty during the explosion while destroying a cache with a satchel charge.

The next order of business was to take another town and destroy the catches. I cannot recall the name of the town (Rogovo maybe?). Our attack came from the North and NW. I believe all teams took casualties while seizing this town as there were many Opfor present. One major problem was enemy RPG gunners. They hit one of the Inf. LAV's and took out all three men. This was a setback, but the Inf. teams did an excellent job of regrouping and taking the town. A lone RPG gunner came running out a building in town and prepared to fire on out M1A1 from the rear. Alpha team came up on foot and took out the hostile before he had the chance to do damage. I'm sure all teams experienced similar situations.

We received CAS by the time we got to the next town (absolutely no clue what the name was. Bor perhaps?) CAS assisted the Inf. teams in taking out armor and any other threats encountered. As with the last town, Opfor put up a decent fight, but was no match the Marines and LAV's. Multiple casualties were sustained.

Once all the towns were clear and all weapon caches were put out of action, the final assault on the Opfor camp began. This attack was one of the best coordinated assaults on a fixed enemy position that i'd had ever been a part of. Although I was one of the many casualties, it was still awesome to see our CAS riddle the Opfor with fire. All Inf. moved up to kill/capture the enemy officer (OBJ). The Inf. was supported by excellent LAV fire. Once the enemy officer was KIA, all troops RTB.

Overall, this was one hell of a mission. I've played Op. ARES a few times, but this was one of the best. My team did a GREAT job of tactically moving and simply kicking Opfor tail. Command had a tough job, but did very well at coordinating Air, Ground and Arty. Special thanks to my SL, azzwort, for doing an excellent job leading our team. I apologize for any errors in this AAR in advance. It was pretty late, so i'm some what hazy on the details. Great mission fellas! Thanks again!

-JCraft (Buddy Craft)
    "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

Re: AAR- Op. ARES v 1.03 8.22/23.09

alpha dogs section machine gunner checking in =p
    very well done! very well indeed!

great use of comms, good maneuvers, co-ordination between inf/armor and the arty lads. we also had some hilarious topics being debated in alpha squad ie ("follow my tracers!")

it all made for a pretty damn fun mission to play!

ps

btw dude thats a pretty accurate AAR from what i remember! good job!
    sigpic
    excuse my poor english, im australian

Comment

I was Alpha squad's LAV gunner for this mission. We had great firefights on just about every town, with minimal casualties. The hardest was that final assault on the enemy camp. Overall great communication and great leadership. I especially want to thank the LAV driver (I'm sorry I forgot your name), he did a great job. Our LAV was ranked #2 in that mission with 65 infantry kills entirely due to his great positioning and communication.

Comment

Seriously, my post count is being greatly augmented by the number of excellent games i play and the AARs that i write for them.

So, i really don't feel like i did such a great job leading Alpha, i mean, we were a very well rounded squad with great communication, not to mention successful in our endevors. I'm not gonna restate the mission since Buddy did a very good job giving the main AAR, but i will give out some praise for some peeps...

First off, everyone in my squad for being so easy to work with and especially (even though the other guys are important too) buddy for leading half the squad for me (and the whole squad when i died), and the LAV driver and gunner for providing excellent base of fire support, which is always appriciated.

On a higher level, fantastic job of B for taking over falcon's command roll midway through, and also the artillery guys for not hogging all the fun for themselves.

quality mission, probably one of the best jobs i have personally done in terms of leading a mechanized unit, somthing i have not done successfully before, and everyone played great...ALPHA DOGS WOOF WOOF!!!
        sigpic

Shoot till you run out of ammo, or until you're dead.

Comment

Alpha dawgs!!!!
          "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

Comment

There are two kinds of Squad Leaders, I think.

1. The ones who like to talk to his Squad mates
            2. The ones who like to talk to the CO (butt kissers)

From purely fun factor view, the first kind of SL succeeds in bringing maximum yield of fun for his Squad mates.

Second kind of SL however gets in the way of the first kind of SLs.

We all know the server population consists of mostly Squad Members, so having a delicate balance between the above two mentions will provide fun for the general population. Big example is azzwort and his Alpha doggs (lol). azzwort made sure his squad members always had a job to do thus their squad had a lot of fun.

But the first kind of SL also has one big enemy trying to ruin his and his Squad mates' fun as well... And that is the CO. I wonder how some of the new Squad Leaders cope with the new Commanding style that has poured into TG.

I certainly do not want to be directing fireteam movements, calling contacts while CO shouts grid coordinates and number of shells, with the dispersion in my ear to the Arty gunners.

I KISS ("Keep It Simple Stupid"). I am a huge fan of clearing comms.

CO should not be worried about what each squad's formation should be or how their squad mates should face. If you choose a CO position trust your SLs. If a squad dies it is SL's fault. Even falling back is SL's decision.

CO should use game tools like map markers with something like "HE x 5. Disperse 100 m". And a simple:

"Steel Rain fire mission marked on map." will keep things simple.

One man's actions might influence the "funometer" for everybody.

I am glad TG has influx of new players. I am glad to see leadership types the unselfish types. But TG became a well oiled machine by end of Arma 1. Some veterans are reluctant to play with the new guys because sometimes it is insanely chaotic at times. Everybody has to say something or crack a joke, make farting sounds, animal sounds (Bravo Squad members that is you).
            Last edited by hedgehog; 08-23-2009, 01:51 PM.

Comment

woof woof! ah bamjo i believe his name was rearden!

and azzwort what was that fire mission skin or someone called in? i remember you quoting "yo dogs you need to fire some bad ass shells and blow some s**t up right here dogs"
              sigpic
              excuse my poor english, im australian

Comment

oh god... yeah i think it was skin. now normally he makes very good quality fire mission call ins, but the one he called in during that game was fantasticly funny (it was very rushed), to the point of me having to pick on it in sqaud coms...skin you're still awesome dude, no disrespect intended!!! you're still better at calling them in then i am...
                sigpic

Shoot till you run out of ammo, or until you're dead.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X